Tony Ford

Unknown user

Maroon Sailor

Then we signed the goal scorer (I think, GerryMcCoy).

That was an exciting signing back then !

The White Cockade

Paddy Byrne     1-Jul-1981     

Roddy Macdonald     1-Jul-1981     ?55,000

Stewart MacLaren     1-Jul-1981     ?25,000

Gerry McCoy     1-Jul-1981     

Derek Strickland     1-Jul-1981     

Brian McNeill     1-Aug-1981     Free Transfer

Henry Smith     1-Aug-1981     ?2000

Derek Addison     1-Sep-1981     ?55000

Willie Pettigrew     1-Sep-1981     ?120000

Peter Marinello     1-Oct-1981     Free Transfer

Some decent signings there to be fair

I liked Paddy Byrne, Roddy was solid and always popped up with a goal from corners

Chopper was a limited player but did a job for us as well

and Henry is a legend

On the other hand Brian McNeill and Derek Strickland were worse than useless and Pettigrew and Addison

got the odd goal for us but were a waste of money that we never had - did we ever actually pay the transfer fees in full for them?

I liked Paddy Byrne, Roddy was solid and always popped up with a goal from corners

and Henry is a legend

On the other hand Brian McNeill and Derek Strickland were worse than useless and Pettigrew and Addison

got the odd goal for us but were a waste of money that we never had - did we ever actually pay the transfer fees in full for them?

Oh no, I can see it now, SPFL deduct Hearts 25pts over historic unpaid transfer fees.

There's been a few threads. Let's say it was a time of social unrest...

Yeah that's one way of putting it. I was thinking more about the "hi-jinks" that the fans got up too rather than the constant boxing!!!

Edited at the same time as your post as I realised you knew that !

That Forfar game is part of Hearts folklore. I remember having a wee smile that they had Stewart Kennedy in goal for them that day. Always remembered him from being wrapped around the goalposts at Wembley when Scotland got gubbed 5-1. He was a pish goalie but Hearts could've played til midnight and still not score.

Edited at the same time as your post as I realised you knew that !

That Forfar game is part of Hearts folklore. I remember having a wee smile that they had Stewart Kennedy in goal for them that day. Always remembered him from being wrapped around the goalposts at Wembley when Scotland got gubbed 5-1. He was a pish goalie but Hearts could've played til midnight and still not score.

on the Sunday, good Jambo and Journalist, John Fairgrieve,

wrote in the Sunday Mail and called for Tynecastle to be turned into a car park...I never went back for months after that game,next season I went every game home and away,the fans were great and it was the same faces all the time and are still seen now.....WE ARE THE HEARTS

Glamorgan Jambo

I presume the ones in bold are the ones you think were alright. I'll disagree with you about Willie Pettigrew.

Shouldn't Gary Liddell be on that list???

Hearts Heritage

I presume the ones in bold are the ones you think were alright. I'll disagree with you about Willie Pettigrew.

Signed in Feb 1981 according to my records.

I'll check some other sources.

Auld Reekin'

and Henry is a legend

Yup, "Fat Pat" was one of our better players from that era (damned by faint praise, or what...?!?!?!?), and used to link-up well with Kidd and Mackay down the right. I'd seen him play for Leicester against Spurs at WHL a year or so before and he looked OK then too.

:gun_bandana: Brian McNeill though...   :rifle:  :furious3:    :toilet:    :phface:

Maroon Sailor

Peter Marinello should've had a much better career than what he had.

Well past his best when he signed for Hearts

Being one of these older fans I remember the Tony Ford "era". I do have one good memory from his tenure though.

Radio Forth used to do the occasional live studio interview/phone-in with Hearts and Hibs managers, I was lucky enough to hear the Tony Ford one (others may recall). I forget the callers name - lets call him Jim from Clermiston. It went like this...

Host: "Hello to Jim from Clermiston, what would you like to ask Tony about?"

Ford "Hi Jim".

Jim: "Hi Tony". 

Jim: [full on screaming now] "Your'e a ******g useless ***t ya..." [call abruptly terminated by studio]

One of these days when either the call-delay mechanism was switched off or maybe the studio just wasn't expecting to need it... Thanks for the memory Tony !

Jingle Bells

Oh no, I can see it now, SPFL deduct Hearts 25pts over historic unpaid transfer fees.

Hearts got a SFA transfer embargo, at the time, until we coughed up for what was due to Dundee United.

I disliked Ormond and the Board more than Ford/Moncur. .

Prior to Wallace Mercer, the club was hog-tied with a decrepit board room that, due to the restricted share ownership, could not bring investment into the club.  

When the old board voted to open up share ownership and let Mercer take-over the club we saw an upturn both on and off the field.  Whatever people say about Mercer in his later years, the club was dying the death of a thousand cuts until he turned up.

And we almost ended up owned by Kenny Waugh, who was on the verge of doing a deal before Mercer stepped in fairly late on.  Waugh ended up buying Hibs and making a shop front of things there, so looks like we dodged a bullet.

Henry Smith cost ?2000 !!  Surely one of the all time bargains at Tynie?

I have to laugh at some of the younger posters who posted last season and went on about how bad we were, jeez they should have been around in the late 70's and early 80's, now that was often dire.

Folk have mentioned the Queen's Park & East Stirling results but there was another one from that season (81/82), remember Forfar at home in the Scottish Cup, oh feck now that was a low point.

For me one incident summed up the divisions at Hearts at that time and how low we had sunk prior to Mercer. We had been relegated the previous season. I can?t remember who we were playing, maybe it was Clyde or some such but we were getting beat 1 ? 0. What I do remember was how utterly abysmal the game was. Out of the blue Hearts equalised at the Gorgie Road end. There was a lot of sarcastic cheering. As the team walked back up the park Jim Jeffries turned to the fans in the shed and gave them the v-sign. We eventually lost 2 ? 1.

Maroon Sailor

For me one incident summed up the divisions at Hearts at that time and how low we had sunk prior to Mercer. We had been relegated the previous season. I can?t remember who we were playing, maybe it was Clyde or some such but we were getting beat 1 ? 0. What I do remember was how utterly abysmal the game was. Out of the blue Hearts equalised at the Gorgie Road end. There was a lot of sarcastic cheering. As the team walked back up the park Jim Jeffries turned to the fans in the shed and gave them the v-sign. We eventually lost 2 ? 1.

I remember Cammy Fraser doing that to the Shed as well !

I remember Alfie Conn junior having a running war with some of the folk in the old South Enclosure almost result on him having a square go with one guy who had to be restrained from climbing the wall onto the trackside wanting to leather him. There was an abysmal lack of professionalism running through the whole team at that time. Things only got better when Doddie took over as manager and the non tries were shown the door.

The White Cockade

mind Walter Kidd getting 2 goals in a game I think v Clydebank

a boy in front of me shouted "I still ******g hate you Kidd!"

that was when Zico had a perm and was playing in midfield

that's what it was like in those days - we were so bad and had some awful players

Tynie was like a morgue and you could hear all the abuse clearly and so could the players

still I enjoyed the away trips round the country to grounds we never usually went to

Forfar, Montrose, Arbroath, East Stirling etc

the good old bad old days

that's what it was like in those days - we were so bad and had some awful players

Tynie was like a morgue and you could hear all the abuse clearly and so could the players

still I enjoyed the away trips round the country to grounds we never usually went to

Montrose............................christ, think they were still burning witches there in the eighties

Maroon Sailor

Montrose............................christ, think they were still burning witches there in the eighties

Dennis D'Arcy always springs to mind when I think of Montrose. Absolute giant of a man

Dennis D'Arcy always springs to mind when I think of Montrose. Absolute giant of a man

Nah...a midget of a man in comparison to the true god and mightily skilled Mick McManus (not the one for grapple fans mind)

I remember the 0-1 defeats v. Queens Park at Hampden and at home to East Stirling but, tbf, there was a 2-1 win at H1b5 somewhere in between. It was only an East of Scotland Shield game, but it meant a lot at the time. My first ever derby.

Tony Ford was still 5h1te though.

Doctor FinnBarr

I think WP scored 44 goals in all comps in about a season and a half, hardly a failure. (happy to be proved wrong). He should,ve scored double that the amount of chances he had. Think thats where the problem with him stemmed from.

Allowayjambo1874

I recall first game of 1980 season being so excited at the thought of seeing alfie conn jnr v Airdrie at tynie. They done us two zip. Even as a niave 12 year old I knew he was a dud. Total chancer living off past reputation. Checking london hearts he was all of 28 at the time. Waste.

Went on and off to home games during these times, really grim. Gary mackays book describes how things were done back then, run like a pub team basically.

Hearts Heritage

Updated Players Signed

Roddy Macdonald     7-Jul-1981     Celtic     ?55,000
Derek Strickland     9-Jul-1981     Leicester City     
Gerry McCoy     10-Jul-1981     Queens Park     
Stewart MacLaren     14-Jul-1981     Dundee     ?25,000
Paddy Byrne     15-Jul-1981     Leicester City     
Henry Smith     5-Aug-1981     Leeds United     ?2000
Brian McNeill     8-Aug-1981     Plymouth Argyle     Free Transfer
Willie Pettigrew     18-Sep-1981     Dundee United     ?120000
Derek Addison     18-Sep-1981     Dundee United     ?55000
Peter Marinello     22-Oct-1981     Phoenix Inferno     Free Transfer

Nelly Terraces

This thread is superb, and all the posts are absolutely bang on (wish I'd heard that phone in Danny Wilde!).

We were utterly honking in that era and TF tenure was pretty much the nadir. The home defeat to East Stirling & the draw v Queens Park were pretty much as low as it could get. The QP game sealed his fate, we went 1 up with about 5 min to go but somehow conspired to lose a goal in the last minute. Seem to remember there was a bit of a break in fixtures after that match due to heavy snow that winter & when we came back Doddie was thankfully in charge.

One small thing though, even Tony Ford managed a win over the wee team, 2-1 in the EoSS! Legend! :lol:

This thread is superb, and all the posts are absolutely bang on (wish I'd heard that phone in Danny Wilde!).

We were utterly honking in that era and T'S tenure was pretty much the nadir. The home defeat to East Stirling & the draw v Queens Park were pretty much as low as it could get. The QP game sealed his fate, we went 1 up with about 5 min to go but somehow conspired to lose a goal in the last minute. Seem to remember there was a bit of a break in fixtures after that match due to heavy snow that winter & when we came back Doddie was thankfully in charge.

One small thing though, even Tony Ford managed a win over the wee team, 2-1 in the EoSS! Legend! :lol:

The Queens Park game was almost as big a low as the East Stirling game. A hard time to be a Hearts supporter.

The Shed Floodlight

The Queens Park game was almost as big a low as the East Stirling game. A hard time to be a Hearts supporter.

Was at the game when we lost to Queens 1-0 at Hampden, they scored in 80 mins if i remember correctly and there was a crowd of us up in that wee stand that used to be above North Enclosure at Hampden, a death trap it was. Was the lowest point for us as we went 6th in 1st division after that and the only way was up. East Stirlingshire defeat at home was a bad one, i am sure they had a midfileder with the proverbial beer belly playing for them.

as a previous poster said Denis D'arcy of Montrose was a giant and a thug. we never ever seem to beat them apart from 2nd replay in Scottish Cup thanks ot Shuggie Shaw.

as Nelly said the crumb of comfort was in Tony Ford's tenure beating the vermin at the Giro,  A Gordon Rae diving header i think the winner was into our end, sparking bedlam. Bedlam after match also and quite sure this was a game where Jenners windows got tanned in. Sure we were all called hooligans in the E.News the day after on front page .   

would not change those times for the world, great following Hearts, then and made all the Scottish Cup successes all the more sweeter.

Nelly Terraces

Was indeed. Very dark days. Made it all the more incredible that within 3 years we were playing in Europe.

Maroon Sailor

It's hard to imagine how bad Hearts were back then but I really think not going up on the last day of the season was a blessing in disguise despite how painful it was at the time. It broke the yoyo cycle and it gave Hearts a better chance of bringing Robbo, MacKay and Bowman through.

Also think the Forfar game was pivotal. We hit rock bottom that day but then went on a decent run, scoring a few goals in to the bargain. We were doing alright until that Dumbarton match at Tynecastle !

Just imagine if Kickback was running back then, with some of the precious posters there are on here nowadays, jeez they moan like feck when we draw,

can you just imagine what they would have been like back then, the samaritans would be working overtime.    :laugh4: 

Was at the game when we lost to Queens 1-0 at Hampden, they scored in 80 mins if i remember correctly and there was a crowd of us up in that wee stand that used to be above North Enclosure at Hampden, a death trap it was. Was the lowest point for us as we went 6th in 1st division after that and the only way was up. East Stirlingshire defeat at home was a bad one, i am sure they had a midfileder with the proverbial beer belly playing for them.

as a previous poster said Denis D'arcy of Montrose was a giant and a thug. we never ever seem to beat them apart from 2nd replay in Scottish Cup thanks ot Shuggie Shaw.

as Nelly said the crumb of comfort was in Tony Ford's tenure beating the vermin at the Giro,  A Gordon Rae diving header i think the winner was into our end, sparking bedlam. Bedlam after match also and quite sure this was a game where Jenners windows got tanned in. Sure we were all called hooligans in the E.News the day after on front page .   

would not change those times for the world, great following Hearts, then and made all the Scottish Cup successes all the more sweeter.

Jenners game was The Tom Hart memorial cup we got beat 1-0 and sure that ex Jambo Rae scored to make up for his og

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Also think the Forfar game was pivotal. We hit rock bottom that day but then went on a decent run, scoring a few goals in to the bargain. We were doing alright until that Dumbarton match at Tynecastle !

Was that the 5-2 game? One of my earliest memories of watching Hearts. To think less than 7 years later we beat Bayern in a Euro 1/4 final game. Doddie was a legend & I can't believe he only managed us & Airdrie.

Maroon Sailor

Was that the 5-2 game? One of my earliest memories of watching Hearts. To think less than 7 years later we beat Bayern in a Euro 1/4 final game. Doddie was a legend & I can't believe he only managed us & Airdrie.

Was the 5-2 game. 2-1 up at half time then a nightmare 2nd half

Randle P McMurphy

I remember being friendly with his laddie, Michael maybe? I thought that would be me well connected for a few years!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

as a kid at the time the atmosphere and the sheer vitriol of the crowd was the main entertainment (and im not saying it was a good thing)

Was the 5-2 game. 2-1 up at half time then a nightmare 2nd half

A big mistake to release Colin More the week before.

Back then I went to every game, home & away. I recall that the highlight of many games at Tynie was doing the quiz in the programme at HT. They were absolute sh!te, far worse than anything from last season.

The White Cockade

aye I always got a lift to the games with my mate

after the Queens Park game I just walked home all the way to Gracemount

(the home game obviously!)

didn't want to talk to anyone or listen to the football on the radio!

Think this game and the 1-0 at home to E Stirling were the lowest point

we still had big supports at the away games though

the days where most of us still travelled to away games on the supporters club buses

Archived