Mark McGhee - not sure I want him.

Perth to Paisley

Perth to Paisley

Desperately want a proper manager but niot sure I want him.

Pereformed a minor miracle at Motherwell but the rest of his career has been patchy to say the least.

just my opinion.

Happy to 'eat my hat' next May

It is true he often starts well and then things go wrong.

But that does not mean to say it will not work here - if he comes.

However, if he has freedom to pick his side then it must be better than the last two seasons. So it is worth a go I reckon.

Pereformed a minor miracle at Motherwell but the rest of his career has been patchy to say the least.

just my opinion.

he looks like he has been able to pull all his experience together and create a good footballing team out of motherwell. I will take him! no questions asked

I know what you mean mate, he's never set the world alight. My dad's in your camp there.

But for me you're as good as your last game and he's done awfy awfy well at 'well. And like any job it's a learning curve, so I think he'll do well and he'll have learnt from past mistakes. He deserves his chance at a big club!!

Guest JamboRobbo

If McGhee did come, I don't imagine he'll show much loyalty if he's given a better offer elsewhere.

And I don't think he's the greatest manager in the world.

But, if he gets 100% control over team affairs, it's a MAJOR step forward from the farce we've put up with for the past 2.5 years.

at motherwell there was not the cash to bring in players with egos... as Meth mentions, he brought together a good team at 'Well.

if he can make sure everyone's egos are in check, based on his work with Motherwell, he could motivate Bes into being the player we expect and make Nade into a striker!:dribble:

ok - maybe he can't perform miracles, but i am certain i'd rather have MCGhee than another random Russian.

Tell me a Hearts manager who has came here with a unblemished record?

McGhee has a wealth of experience behind him and i`ve always believed we just need a decent experienced manager to be successful in Scotland, not a Marcelo Lippi or an Alex Ferguson.

I think many on here are losing focus big time, who exactly do you think Hearts can get?

Pete Seeger

Beggers can't be choosers. And right now, regarding a manager, I'm most certainly a begger. I'll take any real manager with 100% control.

If we get a decent manager I would hope every one at hearts gets behind him fans and board.... for once since George we might be able to all push in the same direction which would make us and tynie a scarey place to visit.

Moan the hearts.:107years::107years::107years:

Pants Shaton
If McGhee did come, I don't imagine he'll show much loyalty if he's given a better offer elsewhere.

And I don't think he's the greatest manager in the world.

But, if he gets 100% control over team affairs, it's a MAJOR step forward from the farce we've put up with for the past 2.5 years.

Romanov seems obsessed with loyalty.

There is no loyalty in football.

Romanov mistakes mediocrity for loyalty; in as much as he reveres the players who remain 'loyal' not realising they stay because greener pastures are not available to them.

If he remains committed to this bizarre logic we are condemned to players and managers of limited ambition and ability.

Thig Ar Latha

just my opinion.

A few years ago he had a very good Team at Wolves for a couple of years. They kept losing out in the play-off's though. Can't remember how long he lasted or how it ended, but he Does have potential. A few months ago people on here were pleading for a proper Manager, any Manager would have done. If this is going to happen its brilliant news. The HMFC roller coaster is on the up again.

Guest GhostHunter

If he comes in, wins us the league (:D) in his first season, he can emigrate to the moon for all I'll care....

As a Reading fan, I can say hand on heart he did a very good job.

He did do the dirty though when a better offer came along.

Also as someone that watched the lower English leagues, what he achieved at Brighton was pretty good as well.

I'm not going to go through Hearts real problem, but suffice it to say, if any new manager isn't an instant success, there will be trouble. Emperor Vlad just won't be able to stand back.

Yours

aDONis

changing the subject a wee bit, but what was Burley on wage-wise?? No sure i remember

Just interested if we're offering McGhee ?8k (if), is this more or less than we have in the past. Dont think it means anything either way, im just interested

Guest GhostHunter

Also as someone that watched the lower English leagues, what he achieved at Brighton was pretty good as well.

I'm not going to go through Hearts real problem, but suffice it to say, if any new manager isn't an instant success, there will be trouble. Emperor Vlad just won't be able to stand back.

Yours

aDONis

That's why he allowed Frail to remain in place for pretty much the whole season.

:rolleyes:

just my opinion.

I'd agree with you P to P, however the state we're in right now really does mean beggars/choosers. There's no doubt he's a clever guy, and clearly adept in handling the media. That alone is a step forward.

His experience in england (I hope) will add some value here, and as others have recognised, I don't think you need to be a world beater to do well in Scotland, just someone who knows the game, can ID a good player (for the SPL), can coach, earns respect and importantly is given the freedom to manage. These are, I think, the component parts of doing well in the SPL.

If you're eating your hat next May P to P, that would make me a happy man!

Toxteth O'Grady
Beggers can't be choosers. And right now, regarding a manager, I'm most certainly a begger. I'll take any real manager with 100% control.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I hated McGhee when he was a Celtic player (and Aberdeen before that).

I especially hated him when he cheated in the semi final.

However if he comes to Hearts has 100% control and can make us successful I'll let bygones be bygones.

Guest JamboRobbo
That's why he allowed Frail to remain in place for pretty much the whole season.

:rolleyes:

as a scapegoat for himself and his inability to keep his nose out of football peoples business.

WorldChampions1902

Yours

aDONis

And if any new manager IS an instant success there will still be trouble. Look what happened to Burley. A leopard doesn't change its spots and VR won't either.

"There may be trouble ahead.......make that will.........."

Kickback returns to normal service then?

Folk on here have been screaming blue murder since Burley left that they wanted a proper manager with full control, and now we have a thread moaning that someone who MAY be the manager is not good enough?

Tell you what, I bet the folk that were screaming for a manager for years will be the first ones on here demanding he get the sack. Some folk are never happy unless they are miserable.

Jam Tarts 1874

Folk on here have been screaming blue murder since Burley left that they wanted a proper manager with full control, and now we have a thread moaning that someone who MAY be the manager is not good enough?

Tell you what, I bet the folk that were screaming for a manager for years will be the first ones on here demanding he get the sack. Some folk are never happy unless they are miserable.

Yup, if we don't win our first half a dozen games it will be time to sack the new manager (whoever he might be!) and head for Tynecastle with the pitch-forks out for Romanov. Who would be an Hearts fan? :wacko:

Rightly or wrongly, MMs stock is riding high just now ( if only in THIS footballing backwater ) and I'm sure that last thing he needs right now is to take a step backwards. That being the case I hope we may have achieved a happy medium where He feels he has got REAL assurances on his position and Vlad knows he must adhere to that for him to 'profit' as the club owner.

Guest JamboRobbo

And your point is what exactly? That unlike normal football fans, we should just be thankful if Vlad deems us worthy of getting ANY manager?

I think fans are perfectly entitled to have views on any potential manager coming in.

We all know that almost any manager would be a vast improvement on what we have. That doesn't necessarily make McGhee a world beater though.

At the moment we are only going to attract managers with "patchy" records IMO. In MM we have a decent manager with good amount of experience. I think the history of the SPL shows this sort of manager does well. I would be delighted to get him as it would be a huge step towards normality.

I just want a new man with some new ideas and a few new players to make me curious enough to look forward to going to Tynie on a Saturday.

Not much to ask. I don't care much who it is as long as Vlad isn't working him from the back.

JamboGraham
And your point is what exactly? That unlike normal football fans, we should just be thankful if Vlad deems us worthy of getting ANY manager?

I think fans are perfectly entitled to have views on any potential manager coming in.

We all know that almost any manager would be a vast improvement on what we have. That doesn't necessarily make McGhee a world beater though.

Agreed....however, I think we should focus on the fact that right now we do not need a world beater. We need a manager who can get us to third place in the SPL next year and back into Europe. McGhee may not be the man to take us onto the "next" level. However, I believe he will be the man to take us back to our expected level.

For me this is 100% positive provided the full statement made on the 1st Jan is put in place. Appointing McGhee would be a huge first step and should be welcomed by all Hearts fans but I believe that we all have the right to remain cautious.

Guest JamboRobbo
Agreed....however, I think we should focus on the fact that right now we do not need a world beater. We need a manager who can get us to third place in the SPL next year and back into Europe. McGhee may not be the man to take us onto the "next" level. However, I believe he will be the man to take us back to our expected level.

For me this is 100% positive provided the full statement made on the 1st Jan is put in place. Appointing McGhee would be a huge first step and should be welcomed by all Hearts fans but I believe that we all have the right to remain cautious.

Agree entirely.

I also would have preferred Davies. Didn't like McGhee's comments this season about being a Celtic man, very unprofessional.

Still 100 times better than what we have had!

just my opinion.

Where do people get this from ?

He had Brighton punching above their weight for years on end without any money (which should stand him in good stead for the stormy days that lie ahead down Tynie way).

He also did a good job at Wolves, he got them promoted and he then got shafted by an owner who promised him ?50 million (to his face) to keep them in the Premiership. Again , this should stand him in good stead at Tynie.

Two and a half years to get a fugging manager and folk are whingeing already.

He had Brighton punching above their weight for years on end without any money (which should stand him in good stead for the stormy days that lie ahead down Tynie way).

He also did a good job at Wolves, he got them promoted and he then got shafted by an owner who promised him ?50 million (to his face) to keep them in the Premiership. Again , this should stand him in good stead at Tynie.

I dont see it that way...

I think its simply a case of expressing some reservations, that's allowed - isn't it?

Spellczech

He has an history of jumping ship but he cannot do this forever or nobody will employ him.

Rudolf's Mate

Agreed.....

He was a relatively new manager and still learning as he is no doubt now. Someone else has also said that you are only as good as ur last game. How true that is.

We have come to the point where it's starting to look like we may just land him now people are saying they don't want him as he has done nothing! Bewildered to say the least.

Proved himself over the last season and that is good enough for me to give him a 3 yr contract!

jamboinglasgow

think the most important thing is that we get a new manager with full control, McGhee is notable as he is in a posistion to be able to walk away from an offer if he doesn't so if we get someone like McGhee it demonstrates that Hearts are not like before. Therefore if he stays for at least 2 seasons or only leaves after one due to a major offer it will demonstrate hearts as a suitable club for managers to go for. THis is what we need.

Skacel's left boot

We're not in a position to be demanding loyalty or guaranteed quality right now. We are in a crisis and make no mistake. The only way we can steady this bullett ridden ship is by appointing someone (scottish) with at least a clue of what it takes to manage at a high level.

In my opinion McGhee will be a good appointment and with a few quality signings from SPL or England will get us back to at least challenging for 3rd.

sandyseymour

Some folk are never happy unless they are miserable and what's wrong with that, it's my God given/human right to be a grumpy old man :mad:

Patrick Bateman

Anyone not wanting Mark McGhee as our manager is either sniffing glue or hasn't actually watched any SPL football this season.

Hearts = Eye-bleedingly bad

Motherwell = Entertaining AND Sucessful despite the death of their captain, wrecked pitch and fixture build-up.

I don't care who he supported, it simply doesn't matter.

Chad Sexington

If we get McGhee, as looks very likely now, I for one will be ecstatic.

His teams play good football, he's a winner, he's media savvy, players respect him.

All the attributes that have been missing from our head coaches since Burley left.

Skacel's left boot
Anyone not wanting Mark McGhee as our manager is either sniffing glue or hasn't actually watched any SPL football this season.

Motherwell = Entertaining AND Sucessful despite the death of their captain, wrecked pitch and fixture build-up.

Spot on.

Maybe even get Scott Leitch playing again. What a midfielder! Just like Ally Mauchlen!

jamboinglasgow

couldn't agree more, remember the comment after Motherwell beat hibs in the CIS cup "McGhee, who even joked it was "a bit like watching Brazil" in the opening 45 minutes." He brought derbys like that to Hearts then we will be singing.

Loftyjambo

If he only improves their fitness and ball control it will be a major step forward.

;);)

I posted on here that I wasn't that keen on Burley when he was announced.

I was delighted when we got Tommy McLean.

Let's just wait and see what happens!!

MM get's 100% support from me. He's proved he can motivate players, organise systems, tactically upset the opposition and beat Hibs. That's good isn't it?

Don't think he's actually did a bad job anywhere. Leicester fans just hate him because he jumped shipped to Wolves in the middle of a season. Although in hingsight they should probably be thankful because they got Martin O'Neill and promotion as a result.

Good job at Reading, very underrated good job at Brighton and has been fantastic at Motherwell without even doing too much.

john brownlee

I would be happy if we got MM but I have my reservations

say by shear luck or whatever and he does a burley, top of the spl after ten games and continues in that vain, the squirm are not going to be too happy and their followers will be wanting heads to role and its a been a common thread amongst tic fans this season, they are not to keen on strapon.

MM leaves in the middle of next season. If he waits to the end and lifts the spl then I couldn't care less who he went to. But if we do get him lets hope its for the whole season

I posted on here that I wasn't that keen on Burley when he was announced.

I was delighted when we got Tommy McLean.

Let's just wait and see what happens!!

If we do get MM lets hope he's more successful than the last Motherwell manager we pinched

Francis Albert
I would be happy if we got MM but I have my reservations

say by shear luck or whatever and he does a burley, top of the spl after ten games and continues in that vain, the squirm are not going to be too happy and their followers will be wanting heads to role and its a been a common thread amongst tic fans this season, they are not to keen on strapon.

MM leaves in the middle of next season. If he waits to the end and lifts the spl then I couldn't care less who he went to. But if we do get him lets hope its for the whole season

If we had a start like Burley's (which itself did involve a bit of "shear luck" ) and we sustained it there is no guarantee we would keep ANY manager until the end of the season.

Hans von Luck

Was not too keen on the idea at the beginning with all the Sellik connections and all that, however the more I have seen him on TV and the way he conducts himself.

Welcome to the capitals ONLY footballing team MM. :)

Archived