Tom Waits - Playhouse - July ...

jambovambo

jambovambo

Tom Waits is doing two nights in Edinburgh at the end of July ? only UK dates ? details here

http://www.list.co.uk/article/8567-tom-waits-to-play-scotland/

Tix on sale Tuesday, it says. A snip at ?95 and ?75 ?

Two tix per transaction and ? serious ?anti-scalper? rules (didn?t know that term ?) ? name on ticket / photo id required ? http://www.edinburghplayhouse.org.uk/news_details.asp?newsid=833&VenueID=93

I'm issuing a plea here.

Please, please: none of you other barstewards try to get tickets for this - especially if you saw him last time at the Playhouse.

It'll increase my chances.

Thank you.

I P Knightley
?75?? Sorry, Tom, no thanks.

No, Neave, you're wrong. Tom Waits would be a snip at double the price. There's no one like him and I'm kicking myself that I won't be able to make it to the Playhouse.

Good luck to those trying to get tix.

No, Neave, you're wrong. Tom Waits would be a snip at double the price. There's no one like him and I'm kicking myself that I won't be able to make it to the Playhouse.

Good luck to those trying to get tix.

Not a dig at him, ivan, really. I'm just a bit gutted I can't afford it and decided to stoop to the level directly above "**** him, he's ****e anyway" :P

jambovambo

Went to the lengths of going to Amsterdam to see him a couple of years ago.

Great.

ArmiyaRomanova

Saw him at the Playhouse many many moons ago and was bowled over.

Currently deciding if I'm ?150+ for two tickets bowled over though.

You seen the Madonna Wembley concert prices though - not something I'm interested in, but jeez... ?250 to stand on the pitch! I hope it's empty!

**** that - greedy *******.

Kinky Friedman, Glasgow, next Saturday - ?14. You know it makes sense.

Since when did concert going become a status symbol, robbing *****.

Ivanauskas33

Just managed to get tickets. Bloody expensive, but he hasn't played here for over 20 years.

ArmiyaRomanova

got mine too - first time I've ever paid over ?100 for a ticket for anything, weekend festivals included. Ouch. Bleedin' robbery.

Ivanauskas33

was just wondering, do ticketmaster email you to ask for the name of your guest, or do you have to contact them with it?

jambovambo

They contact you - dunno if by email or not.

Says something about that on their site.

Jed The Jedi

Never heard any of his stuff before, so had a butchers on You Tube:confused: any of his fans tell me if he's had a throat operation, not the best imo.

Denny Crane
Never heard any of his stuff before, so had a butchers on You Tube:confused: any of his fans tell me if he's had a throat operation, not the best imo.

I believe he goes through five cigarette lighters a day! ;)

I P Knightley

What songs did you hear?

He's certainly not got the 'voice of an angel,' rather one that's full of character. Some are more growly than others but his range of music is wide and wonderful: jazzy stuff (Step Right Up; Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis); balls-out rock (Mr Siegal), wistful melancholy (Kentucky Avenue); ballads (I hope that I don't fall in love with you); country (Lookin' for the Heart of Saturday Night) through to downright weird (What's He Building in There?).

He's even done a version of Somewhere from West Side Story. If you knew that and then watched the 'Boro lad do the same song on Britain's Got Talent last night, you'd have agreed with the BGT judges that it seemed a little insipid.

Jed The Jedi
What songs did you hear?

He's certainly not got the 'voice of an angel,' rather one that's full of character. Some are more growly than others but his range of music is wide and wonderful: jazzy stuff (Step Right Up; Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis); balls-out rock (Mr Siegal), wistful melancholy (Kentucky Avenue); ballads (I hope that I don't fall in love with you); country (Lookin' for the Heart of Saturday Night) through to downright weird (What's He Building in There?).

He's even done a version of Somewhere from West Side Story. If you knew that and then watched the 'Boro lad do the same song on Britain's Got Talent last night, you'd have agreed with the BGT judges that it seemed a little insipid.

Chocolate jesus, i Dont want to grow up, and Tom Traubert's Blues gave up after those 3 :sad:

I P Knightley
Chocolate jesus, i Dont want to grow up, and Tom Traubert's Blues gave up after those 3 :sad:

Full marks for perserverance!! It's not to everyone's taste.

You should listen to Tom Traubert's blues straight after Rod Stewart's cover version. Not only does the original blow the cover away but you learn to appreciate the Waits voice when put up against a voice generally thought to be not too bad.

Jed The Jedi
Full marks for perserverance!! It's not to everyone's taste.

You should listen to Tom Traubert's blues straight after Rod Stewart's cover version. Not only does the original blow the cover away but you learn to appreciate the Waits voice when put up against a voice generally thought to be not too bad.

Went back and had a listen to Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis and Mr Siegal but its just not ringing my bell.

For those of you going, enjoy.

jambovambo

Tom's more theatre than anything else.

I P Knightley
Wouldn't pay that money to see anyone except the Hearts.

?100 to see the Hearts?

Right now?

You must have it to burn...

Dick Turpin wore a mask and all that, but I took the plunge and got tickets for the Monday gig. Not often going to a concert involves moral dilemmas, but I'm telling myself it's probably once in a lifetime, and I'd be kicking myself now if I hadn't gone for it.

It had better be bloody good.

Ivanauskas33
Dick Turpin wore a mask and all that, but I took the plunge and got tickets for the Monday gig. Not often going to a concert involves moral dilemmas, but I'm telling myself it's probably once in a lifetime, and I'd be kicking myself now if I hadn't gone for it.

It had better be bloody good.

Yeah that was my thoughts on it aswell. Considering he might never play Edinburgh again and all that. And if he does ?95 every 20 years isn't that bad :P

He was awful as Lofty in Eastenders and rightly got punted.

Certainly not willing to pay ?75 to hear his band. :brooding:

Archived