McCurry (non football )

Tams bird

Goose Baxter

Seen that this morning in the peper, the bird he is doing is a bit of a looker eh?

Wonder how an ugly old man gets a wee hottie like that?

WeeToonJambo

If true, this says all we need to know about this man's honour, honesty and integrity.

If true, this says all we need to know about this man's honour, honesty and integrity.

Let him who is without fault throw the first stone...

Personally, I feel this is shockinh how it has came to light, mainly just because he had a bad game. This is not related to football what-so-ever and this is unacceptable how the press can saught out and damage a man's personal integrity. Fair enough, he had a bad game, and at the utmost extreme, he should be punished by the SFA, but surely, there is no excuse for bringing to light right now every dark secret that Mr McCurry has, all because he disallowed a goal and never awarded a penatly.

Daily Record, hang your heads in shame!

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Irrespective of whether the guy referees football games in his spare time or not, this kind of thing sums up religion for me. McCurry no doubt will preach about truth and honesty and the family unit on a Sunday, but when he gets caught with his cloak round his ankles, the jesus brigade come up with the whole "Let him without sin cast the first stone" routine. Religion has this amazing catch all ethic that whether you do wrong or right, your absolved anyway. Its all very hypocritical if you ask me.

No doubt McCurry will ask for privacy at "this very difficult time" then in a week or so do a piece about how stupid he has been. Dont worry Mike, with god on your side, you will have a nice rosy glow whatever you do and be back soon ready to preach and cast judgement on other people. Call me a heathen but the church is rotten to the core.

Let him who is without fault throw the first stone...

True, but he must now be honest, in all things.

Otherwise he must step down.

We could all be there of course, but especially for one in the public eye he must clear it up now and do the right thing.

it can of course affect his judgement elsewhere and indicate he may be open to bias as a ref, would you believe....

Irrespective of whether the guy referees football games in his spare time or not, this kind of thing sums up religion for me. McCurry no doubt will preach about truth and honesty and the family unit on a Sunday, but when he gets caught with his cloak round his ankles, the jesus brigade come up with the whole "Let him without sin cast the first stone" routine. Religion has this amazing catch all ethic that whether you do wrong or right, your absolved anyway. Its all very hypocritical if you ask me.

No doubt McCurry will ask for privacy at "this very difficult time" then in a week or so do a piece about how stupid he has been. Dont worry Mike, with god on your side, you will have a nice rosy glow whatever you do and be back soon ready to preach and cast judgement on other people. Call me a heathen but the church is rotten to the core.

I hope when you do wrong, feel bad about it, seek reconciliation, that folk do not call you 'hypocrite' or just tell you to sod off.

There is clear evidence in the NT that folk are not perfect and Christians never claim to be. The whole book points to their need of constant forgiveness and a God who comes to them to help them. Christians do not claim perfection but because God gave himself for them they attempt

to follow him because they recognise their need of him to help them!

But if you are already perfect you do not need help.

grumpyjambo
Seen that this morning in the peper, the bird he is doing is a bit of a looker eh?

Wonder how an ugly old man gets a wee hottie like that?

Lucky bassa!!!!! I wish I knew his secret! ;)

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
I hope when you do wrong, feel bad about it, seek reconciliation, that folk do not call you 'hypocrite' or just tell you to sod off.

There is clear evidence in the NT that folk are not perfect and Christians never claim to be. The whole book points to their need of constant forgiveness and a God who comes to them to help them. Christians do not claim perfection but because God gave himself for them they attempt

to follow him because they recognise their need of him to help them!

But if you are already perfect you do not need help.

Listen mate I am far from perfect. And the crux of my post is that knowing I am far from perfect, i dont go around casting judgement on others. I couldnt give a toss who Mike McCurry is nipping in his spare time. The point I was trying to make is apparently adultury is sin. But the bible also states that sinners will and can be forgven. Which to me suggests regardless of what you do, your in a win win situation. You get the excitement of a clandestine fumble behind the font, full in the knowledge when it comes into the open, Jesus will forgive you of your sins.

In fairness I cant claim to be an expert in the bible (you've probably noticed) and as far as religion is concerned, if it helps others get through the day then far be it from me to criticise. But the whole thing really seems rather loaded with double standards.

Serious abuse of trust. Just shows how willing 'closed house' organisations are when it comes to brushing things under the carpet... especially when pto protecting their own.

Sick.

The Doctor
Listen mate I am far from perfect. And the crux of my post is that knowing I am far from perfect, i dont go around casting judgement on others. I couldnt give a toss who Mike McCurry is nipping in his spare time. The point I was trying to make is apparently adultury is sin. But the bible also states that sinners will and can be forgven. Which to me suggests regardless of what you do, your in a win win situation. You get the excitement of a clandestine fumble behind the font, full in the knowledge when it comes into the open, Jesus will forgive you of your sins.

In fairness I cant claim to be an expert in the bible (you've probably noticed) and as far as religion is concerned, if it helps others get through the day then far be it from me to criticise. But the whole thing really seems rather loaded with double standards.

No, whilst this is one way of looking at it, you can't just do what you like and then claim forgiveness after regardless.

Firstly, true repentance involves not just saying you're sorry, but turning away from what you've done, not doing it again. It involves changing your habits, changing your behaviour, for good.

Secondly, there will be severe consequences following this behaviour. In this case McCurry's reputation is in tatters, both socially and within the church. He will likely lose his job, possibly his marriage, whilst he may be forgiven by God he will have have to live with those consequences, hardly an easy let off following a quick fumble.

The story of King David and his adultery with Bathsheba is a great example of what happens in these kind of cases. Although David was forgiven by God the consequences of his behaviour were dramatic and far reaching. His son to Bathsheba died, his family fell apart, his sovereignty was challenged by another of his sons, his daughter was raped by her half brother. Following David's sin his life was never the same. I think that Mr McCurry will find a similar fate.

Someone earlier suggested that the Record has no right to question his integrity, I would say that McCurry has completely undermined his integrity by his own actions. I think it is sad, it makes me feel sorry, sorry that he couldn't bear the temptation, however it looks as though this was a planned and systematic campaign to seduce this young lady. That makes it considerably worse. I'm sorry that he's brought the church into disrepute, it reflects badly on all Christians, but particularly those in ministry, who will incidentally be judged more strictly.

I sincerely hope that this will not be swept under the carpet, I doubt it would be allowed to be, but I am under no illusions that Mr McCurry knew what he was doing was wrong, he will suffer the consequences.

No, whilst this is one way of looking at it, you can't just do what you like and then claim forgiveness after regardless.

What about pre-destination? Genuine question. If it's all planned out then how can you be blamed for your actions?

Off to read some James Hogg now...

As for McCurry, well it seems that he has used his position to effectively "groom" this young lady into sleeping with him. More fool her for believing his lies, but he has really abused his position.

Any cleric caught with their pants down is always going to be castigated as a hypocrite.

What about pre-destination? Genuine question. If it's all planned out then how can you be blamed for your actions?

Off to read some James Hogg now...

As for McCurry, well it seems that he has used his position to effectively "groom" this young lady into sleeping with him. More fool her for believing his lies, but he has really abused his position.

Any cleric caught with their pants down is always going to be castigated as a hypocrite.

See my post above, couldnt agree more.

Feck the fact he's a football ref, he's abused his position in the same way that the bloke in Glasgow done with the polish girl.

Disgusting that an organisation would hide this disgusting vile behaviour.

The Doctor

As usual Boris, that depends on what you think pre-destination means. If it means that every action we ever take is mapped out and planned for us then yes, no-one would be responsible for anything they did. The bible doesn't teach this at all.

In biblical terms pre-destination is about those who were 'chosen' somehow to become Christians. God 'reveals' himself only to some people, the 'chosen' who will become His followers. (Very broadly, this is what Calvinism is about) The opposite is that we choose to follow Jesus and that our free will gives us the opportunity to accept or reject. (Again, broadly, this is Arminism) I believe that the truth lies somewhere between these two apparently contradictory philosophies.

As far as McCurry is concerned, I don't doubt that he knew what he was doing and went headlong into it regardless. He could have stopped himself, but chose to carry on regardless.

As usual Boris, that depends on what you think pre-destination means. If it means that every action we ever take is mapped out and planned for us then yes, no-one would be responsible for anything they did. The bible doesn't teach this at all.

In biblical terms pre-destination is about those who were 'chosen' somehow to become Christians. God 'reveals' himself only to some people, the 'chosen' who will become His followers. (Very broadly, this is what Calvinism is about) The opposite is that we choose to follow Jesus and that our free will gives us the opportunity to accept or reject. (Again, broadly, this is Arminism) I believe that the truth lies somewhere between these two apparently contradictory philosophies.

As far as McCurry is concerned, I don't doubt that he knew what he was doing and went headlong into it regardless. He could have stopped himself, but chose to carry on regardless.

Thanks for the answer.

While most world religions tend to have "the golden rule" in their teachings, I find the schisms within Christianity really bizarre. How can so many splinter groups be correct?

Craigieboy

The story of King David and his adultery with Bathsheba is a great example of what happens in these kind of cases. Although David was forgiven by God the consequences of his behaviour were dramatic and far reaching. His son to Bathsheba died, his family fell apart, his sovereignty was challenged by another of his sons, his daughter was raped by her half brother. Following David's sin his life was never the same. I think that Mr McCurry will find a similar fate.

Yes, this was a bible story that always kind of bemused me.

I'm all for peoples actions 'catching up with them' so to speak. This is how we learn valuable leasons & nobody should be spared the ramifications of their own bad (or good) actions.

But the King David one is extreemly strange.

After not only comitting adultery (he also arranged the 'death' of Bathshebas husband), the law states that big King Dave should have been put to death. This sentance had been passed on countless individuals in the past.

But not in this case. It was the innocent little kid that got the death penalty.

I mean, come on. What kind of ****ing justice is that?

Another example of biblical (or gods) contradiction.

The Doctor
Thanks for the answer.

While most world religions tend to have "the golden rule" in their teachings, I find the schisms within Christianity really bizarre. How can so many splinter groups be correct?

I suppose the answer is that they're not all correct and that not one of them is 100% correct at all.

Christianity, unlike Islam or Judaism is a personal faith, not a corporate, national or racial religion. That means that whilst there are general theological principles that are not open to debate, within conservative, traditional Christian belief (i.e. the redemptive nature of the cross) there is much that relies on personal conviction or interpretation (i.e.whether women should wear hats in church).

I don't think that Mr McCurry's alleged indiscretion falls into the second category.

Yes, this was a bible story that always kind of bemused me.

I'm all for peoples actions 'catching up with them' so to speak. This is how we learn valuable leasons & nobody should be spared the ramifications of their own bad (or good) actions.

But the King David one is extreemly strange.

After not only comitting adultery (he also arranged the 'death' of Bathshebas husband), the law states that big King Dave should have been put to death. This sentance had been passed on countless individuals in the past.

But not in this case. It was the innocent little kid that got the death penalty.

I mean, come on. What kind of ****ing justice is that?

Another example of biblical (or gods) contradiction.

Not sure it was always carried out mind. In Jesus day it seems it was rare.

I've no idea why God choose that result. It was a question I had when I first came across it. I have found no answer.

That does not mean it changes my understanding of him, there are many contradictions in most folk, but I still like them.

Craigieboy
Not sure it was always carried out mind. In Jesus day it seems it was rare.

I've no idea why God choose that result. It was a question I had when I first came across it. I have found no answer.

That does not mean it changes my understanding of him, there are many contradictions in most folk, but I still like them.

The point is that it was a 'divinely inspired' command, if you believe 2 Tim 3:16.

And, you are correct, their is no answer for the David situation.

Also, there are contridictions in most people, I agree. But, do most people claim to be 'perfect'?

The content of the bible, asks too much of me to put my complete trust in it's god.

Archived