Traffic for 8th November

jimmy the jambo

jimmy the jambo

Due to the sell out & rugby, it's going to be pretty manic getting in and out of Gorgie tomorrow, does anyone know if there's any road closures planned for Russell Rd or Ballgreen area?

Thanks in advance.

From memory the Glendevon side of Balgreen Road (right hand side as you're heading south) doesn't have parking restrictions when the rugby on.

Saughton Park and Saughton Gardens definitely don't have any restrictions, these are about 15min walk from Tynie

Am pleased the rugby is kicking off later. Had a nightmare trying to get into Haymarket one week when Rugby kicked off at the same time as our game, and after the game we walked up to the station to see there was about a 45 minute wait snaking round Haymarket junction for the station.

When we politely explained to the police officer who was blocking the usual route in that we were wondering if we could enter via the usual entrance rather than join the queue as we were getting on the 5.15 to London (was about 5pm by this point) as if we joined the queue we'd miss the train and be stuck in Edinburgh for the night.

Response from the police officer 'Why do you think I would care about you? Don't you think everyone else has the same problem?' At which point I replied by alerting him to the fact that I would imagine there was no one else in the queue was trying to go to London and whilst everyone else could catch a later train that was in fact the last train to London. We also pointed out that at no point was it announced special queues would be in place to get into the station.

He again rather wittily responded by saying 'Why the hell didn't you leave the match 30 minutes early then? And don't you know there is more than one station in Edinburgh?' The irony of Waverley not being a 10 minute walk away didn't appear to have registered.

At this point I noticed my dad getting quite annoyed so pulled him away. Cue a method of run to Lothian Road and then a rickshaw via the grassmarket lead to an arrival at Waverley at 5.32. The train as due to leave at 5.30, but left at 5.40 due to a delay, thank god.

Another wonderful example of the sort of flexible friendly policing we all love.

To save anyone else looking it up, the rugby kicks off at 5.30 (i.e. potential nightmare getting away from the game).

From memory the Glendevon side of Balgreen Road (right hand side as you're heading south) doesn't have parking restrictions when the rugby on.

Saughton Park and Saughton Gardens definitely don't have any restrictions, these are about 15min walk from Tynie

Stenhouse then a 1 or 2 bus or a tram if you park at Saughton Mains

The Treasurer

Stenhouse then a 1 or 2 bus or a tram if you park at Saughton Mains

The No.1 is notorious for not turning up on time.

It makes it difficult to make arrangements to meet people who only have a short stroll to get to the pub

Am pleased the rugby is kicking off later. Had a nightmare trying to get into Haymarket one week when Rugby kicked off at the same time as our game, and after the game we walked up to the station to see there was about a 45 minute wait snaking round Haymarket junction for the station.

When we politely explained to the police officer who was blocking the usual route in that we were wondering if we could enter via the usual entrance rather than join the queue as we were getting on the 5.15 to London (was about 5pm by this point) as if we joined the queue we'd miss the train and be stuck in Edinburgh for the night.

Response from the police officer 'Why do you think I would care about you? Don't you think everyone else has the same problem?' At which point I replied by alerting him to the fact that I would imagine there was no one else in the queue was trying to go to London and whilst everyone else could catch a later train that was in fact the last train to London. We also pointed out that at no point was it announced special queues would be in place to get into the station.

He again rather wittily responded by saying 'Why the hell didn't you leave the match 30 minutes early then? And don't you know there is more than one station in Edinburgh?' The irony of Waverley not being a 10 minute walk away didn't appear to have registered.

At this point I noticed my dad getting quite annoyed so pulled him away. Cue a method of run to Lothian Road and then a rickshaw via the grassmarket lead to an arrival at Waverley at 5.32. The train as due to leave at 5.30, but left at 5.40 due to a delay, thank god.

Another wonderful example of the sort of flexible friendly policing we all love.

I would have calmly asked the officer for his id and register an official complaint. No doubt the egomaniac would then try and arrest you of course and fit you up.

The No.1 is notorious for not turning up on time.

It makes it difficult to make arrangements to meet people who only have a short stroll to get to the pub

Spot on. Sometimes it doesn't turn up at all. If you don't have your own bus tracker you could miss kick off if you rely on the 1. There can be half an hour wait for next bus.

I get the 1 on Drumbrae and have to make a decision to wait for the 1 or get a 26 and either exit at Roseburn or Haymarket.

The Treasurer

Spot on. Sometimes it doesn't turn up at all. If you don't have your own bus tracker you could miss kick off if you rely on the 1. There can be half an hour wait for next bus.

I get the 1 on Drumbrae and have to make a decision to wait for the 1 or get a 26 and either exit at Roseburn or Haymarket.

That's the "excuse" I give Mrs Treasurer for leaving 4 hours before kick off :bucktooth:

I would have calmly asked the officer for his id and register an official complaint. No doubt the egomaniac would then try and arrest you of course and fit you up.

Tbh we considered it, but by this point I was more concerned with getting to Waverley rather than have to pay fora hotel and another train ticket on the sunday. But you are right, he definitely would have arrested us. Couldn't believe the arrogance

When I get home tonight I will leave the car and get bus tomorrow morning to work.

Archived