Paul Gascoigne

Marvin

Shame.

I look forward to another thread of people on their high-horse about alcoholism. At least we won't get the Lawson debate where his violent and abusive character doesn't matter because he was a really good player.

My Dads had a lot of problems over the last 10 years with alcoholism but in some ways, I'm undecided on sympathy for Gazza.

He got into it because he obviously couldn't handle the pressure of the game and fortune of being a footballer. Nobody guided him down the right path which of course was easier said than done. Because of that he spiralled out of control. That I have sympathy for.

However, he's had so many chances and blows it every time. However, unlike a lot of alcoholics, Gazza has lots of people around him who want to help. A lot of people who would help find special clinics for him.

A lot of alcoholics out there who have nobody for support, feel like no one cares. Gazza may well feel the same but the reality is, he has an easier solution to the problem than many.

**** him no sympathy either had chance after chance. Its his family and friends my sympathys lie with.

Did you feel the same about George Best?

Guest C00l K1d

My Dads had a lot of problems over the last 10 years with alcoholism but in some ways, I'm undecided on sympathy for Gazza.

He got into it because he obviously couldn't handle the pressure of the game and fortune of being a footballer. Nobody guided him down the right path which of course was easier said than done. Because of that he spiralled out of control. That I have sympathy for.

However, he's had so many chances and blows it every time. However, unlike a lot of alcoholics, Gazza has lots of people around him who want to help. A lot of people who would help find special clinics for him.

A lot of alcoholics out there who have nobody for support, feel like no one cares. Gazza may well feel the same but the reality is, he has an easier solution to the problem than many.

Just because he has access to expensive rehab clinics doesn't mean he is guaranteed to get better, just because someone has managed to kick alcholism without that clinic.

Even though he has been diagnosed an alcoholic I'm sure you'll know every case is individual. Obviously this has a grip on Gascoigne more than others and I think it's unfair to criticise him for slipping back into it just because he has support and expensive clinics.

Teuchterjambo

According to some bleeding hearts on here,alcoholism is a condition that excuses all manner of behaviour.like i said before.he was an arsehole without a drink and as for the mental illness!.people with worse have accepted help and also responsibility and became better people for it.i don't take any pleasure in his predicament but for christ's sake!,all the excuses do my head in.

Not seen one post on here that offers any excuses for his behaviour which I accept has been pretty reprehensible at times. What I do see is some people who understand the situation that people find themselves in offering reasons to explain that this is not something that everyone can control. I have had a couple of friends who overcame alcoholism (never cured) and I had a good friend who died young despite many attempts to overcome it. Gascoigne is obviously unable to control despite all the help and right now does not need the condemnation he is getting from some on here. Virtually everybody will know someone touched by this problem but I'm willing to bet that they are not subjecting them to the abuse that is being shown on here.

Don't go assuming you know the source of his demons they may well run deeper than a bit of pressure around football.....

"There's little wonder Gascoigne was obsessed with death. He came across it often as a child, and in the most painful circumstances. When he was 10, he was looking after his friend's younger brother, Steven Spraggon, and took him to the shop where he used to nick sweets. When he was mucking about, six-year-old Steven ran into the road and was hit by a car. Gascoigne watched him die and blamed himself. When he was 17, another friend called Steven died. Steven Wilson had become an apprentice at Middlesbrough but was unhappy so Gascoigne encouraged him to jack it in, and told him he would try to get him into the Newcastle youth squad. While he was waiting for an opening at Newcastle, Steven went to work in the building trade and was killed in an accident. Again Gascoigne blamed himself. Years later, a cousin died while playing football after an asthma attack. Doctors had told him he shouldn't play football with asthma, but Gascoigne told him this was rubbish. Again, he blamed himself. He told himself he was a jinx."

Archived