Most Exciting Game or Team You've Seen?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Time for some positive football memories.......

Who or what was the most exciting game or team you've seen?

I always thought the Ajax team of the 1990's were very exciting and had a great young team of Van Der Saar, De Boer twins, Davids, Seedorf, Kleivert, Kanu, Overmars, Litmannen etc. - anyway I remember watching this game and thought the football & atmosphere between 2 of europe's greatest teams was electric. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0bh0Bt2p8

jamboinglasgow

most exciting game I have seen was the 4-4 hearts v hibs game, even though most goals were in the last 10 mins the game was hugely enjoying and exciting.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
most exciting game I have seen was the 4-4 hearts v hibs game, even though most goals were in the last 10 mins the game was hugely enjoying and exciting.

That was definitely the greatest game of all time.

Non-Hearts though, one of my favourit football moments is from a few years ago, Barcelona v Valencia, Barca have to win to qualify for the Champions League. It's 2-2 going into injury time, and Rivaldo pops up with an amazing overhead kick from 18-20 yards out to complete his hat trick and seal the last qualifying place for Barca. Superb!

super_vlad
Time for some positive football memories.......

Who or what was the most exciting game or team you've seen?

I always thought the Ajax team of the 1990's were very exciting and had a great young team of Van Der Saar, De Boer twins, Davids, Seedorf, Kleivert, Kanu, Overmars, Litmannen etc. - anyway I remember watching this game and thought the football & atmosphere between 2 of europe's greatest teams was electric. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0bh0Bt2p8

Show bacra a few years ago when ronnie and messi were just amazing, even the warm-up was impressive! On the telly, the liverpool - ac game a few years ago was just class, not for skill but for enterment ! for hearts, the first half against celtic on NYD, prob. the best i have ever seen hearts play against the OF, janny and rudi, just different class that day ! Never in my life have i being so high and then so low within 90 mins !

Even though we lost, I'd have to say the 1996 Coca-Cola Cup final against the unwashedunmentionables at Parkhead.

Brilliant.

Craigieboy

The Rangers league cup game at Tynie.

They came back to make it 2-2, then we scored another couple I think.

Great game. Thought we had blown it!

The Rangers league cup game at Tynie.

They came back to make it 2-2, then we scored another couple I think.

Great game. Thought we had blown it!

Scottish Cup? Robbo got the third and the fourth was Kevin Thomas after a Mazy Davy special?

Hearts v Stuttgart when we got knocked out on away goals was pretty exciting. Really enjoyed that match.

Craigieboy
Scottish Cup? Robbo got the third and the fourth was Kevin Thomas after a Mazy Davy special?

Were we not giving it large with the donkey noises for D McP that night or was that another match?

That 3-2 Derby when we went 2-0 up, Shiels got sent off for punching Gordon then Miko scored a great goal to give us the victory. I thought we'd blown it. Probably not the most exciting, but the only one I can think of just now.

IIRC, that was the first Hearts game Sky had shown live.

I've got it into my head that is was a Monday night for some reason. I remember going from Tynie to Berties and watching the full 90 minutes all over again on a Sky re-run.

I've got it into my head that is was a Monday night for some reason. I remember going from Tynie to Berties and watching the full 90 minutes all over again on a Sky re-run.

It was a Monday. We all took a half day from work, pub lunch in Milnes Bar at 12.30 then off to Tynie for an 8pm k.o.!

Surprised I wasn't k.o.'d earlier...:confused:

Were we not giving it large with the donkey noises for D McP that night or was that another match?

The game I'm referring to Davy McP played for us, but you may indeed be talking about another game and I have crossed wires.

liverpool alaves uefa cup final 5-4 it finished if i remember correctly.

think it was one of the very few games settled on that golden goal pish

the arsenal "invincibles" team were superb to watch. unbelievable

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

November 91 (i think). Celtic at Tynie. They went one up through Tommy Coyne. Derek Ferguson got stretcherd off. Henry pulled off THAT save when he twisted in mid air to touch over the bar. 20 minutes left, Levein equalised. Then George Wright (honestly!!) put us 2-1 up. Then one of my top 3 Hearts moments happened. Scott Crabbe scored the third at the school end. He ran right up to the old shed and kissed his Hearts badge. Absolute bedlam. It meant so much knowing that it meant so much to him. A REAL die hard Jambo celebrating with us.

Winning cups and qualifying for Europe and all that is great (and I hope to god it happens a lot lot more) but this game was just around the time I started going to the shed with my mates, unsupervised. Brilliant brilliant memory. In fact **** it, the videos going on now.

Charlie-Brown
November 91 (i think). Celtic at Tynie. They went one up through Tommy Coyne. Derek Ferguson got stretcherd off. Henry pulled off THAT save when he twisted in mid air to touch over the bar. 20 minutes left, Levein equalised. Then George Wright (honestly!!) put us 2-1 up. Then one of my top 3 Hearts moments happened. Scott Crabbe scored the third at the school end. He ran right up to the old shed and kissed his Hearts badge. Absolute bedlam. It meant so much knowing that it meant so much to him. A REAL die hard Jambo celebrating with us.

Winning cups and qualifying for Europe and all that is great (and I hope to god it happens a lot lot more) but this game was just around the time I started going to the shed with my mates, unsupervised. Brilliant brilliant memory. In fact **** it, the videos going on now.

That was a great game - if you've got the video of it then you need to find a techie to get it put on youtube! :)

Non Hearts -

Rangers V Valencia in the champions league .

It was reported by the old firm loving media that this game would be a walk in the park for Rangers . Easy 3 points against little unknown Valencia.

But Valencia ripped rangers to bits with their one touch football. It was so one sided . Even on the verge of embarrassing for Rangers.

Loved that game and ever since looked out for Valencias results.:)

With Hearts

The Hartley hatrick in the demolition of Hibs in the cup! What a day!

Non Hearts- from a game Ive been to, Scotland 1 France 0 or Bolton 2 Arsenal 3, fantastic day

Man Utd vs Bayern Munich UCL Final 99.

What a game and what a way to finish it off. Sheringham and the Baby faced assasin :bravo:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Liverpool v AC Milan - Champions League final.

I remember jumping about the pub going mad when Liverpool won and I don't even like them!!

What a game that was and Gerrards performance as captain was simply sensational.

'Nuff sed.

Most exciting team would have to be Tony "Monkey Heid" aka "Mallet Napper" aka "Spam" Mowbray's exciting young Hibernian team of the start of 2006-07 season.

Breathtaking, just breathtaking.

That Arsenal-ManU cup game about 8 years back when Ryan Giggs scored the wonder-goal after ManU were down to 10 men. Great game, man sent off, Schmeichel penalty save near the end of normal time, extra time, 10 men winnning against the odds - what a game!

4-4 new year derby

non hearts has to be Liverpool -AC Milan 3-3

and France 0 Scotland 1 coz i was there and it will live with me forever

shaun.lawson
Brazil v France World Cup '86, absolutely superb stuff!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpBbOuDK0dM that's the first part, the whole match is on youtube split up into about 20-odd parts!

Excellent call, Sir. That unforgettable contest is top of my list too: only a few weeks back, I was reliving it via the official film of the 1986 World Cup, which had been uploaded onto Youtube only to be removed for copyright infringements a few days later.

Second on my list would be the preposterously good Spain 4 Yugoslavia 3 at Euro 2000 - Spain scoring twice in injury time to avert yet another early elimination, and have me believing the ?20 I'd put on them to win the event would turn up nice, only for Raul to miss a penalty in stoppage time against France just days later. Even John Motson and Alan Green's commentaries captured the moment really well.

And at number 3, Liverpool-Milan '05: at half time, Liverpool looked like no hopers, and Milan seemed set for another regal coronation to set alongside their destruction of Barcelona and Benfica in previous finals. Then Rafa brought on Dietmar "my ****** is small, but my balls are big" Hamann, and a man named Gerrard summoned up his sheer indefagitable will. The rest was history.

Even though we lost, I'd have to say the 1996 Coca-Cola Cup final against the unwashedunmentionables at Parkhead.

Brilliant.

Does it for me. '98 obviously but what a game that was. If it hadn't been for Gascoigne, we would have walked it...

Other one would be Chelsea - Liverpool in the FA Cup. Chelsea 2-0 down at half time. Second half kick off delayed by a minute as Chelsea brought on Mark Hughes. Definition of an inspired substitution. You could literally see the fear in those scouse faces. Chelsea won 4-2 with one of the best 45 minutes of football I've ever seen.

shaun.lawson
Does it for me. '98 obviously but what a game that was. If it hadn't been for Gascoigne, we would have walked it...

Other one would be Chelsea - Liverpool in the FA Cup. Chelsea 2-0 down at half time. Second half kick off delayed by a minute as Chelsea brought on Mark Hughes. Definition of an inspired substitution. You could literally see the fear in those scouse faces. Chelsea won 4-2 with one of the best 45 minutes of football I've ever seen.

Remember Steve McManaman's miss at 2-0 up, David? Somehow, you just knew they were going to live to regret that.

At half time, Gianluca Vialli's time as a Chelsea player seemed set to end in anticlimax. By full time, he was a club legend. Amazing, amazing game.

Remember Steve McManaman's miss at 2-0 up, David? Somehow, you just knew they were going to live to regret that.

At half time, Gianluca Vialli's time as a Chelsea player seemed set to end in anticlimax. By full time, he was a club legend. Amazing, amazing game.

Were you there, mate? We were in the West Stand and there was this strange feeling of inevitability that something was going to happen. When Hughes came on, he deliberately moved up to the half-way line before striding onto the pitch. I've been at the Bridge many many times but I've never heard an ovation like that for a player. Astounding game completely changed by the introduction of one man.

shaun.lawson
Were you there, mate? We were in the West Stand and there was this strange feeling of inevitability that something was going to happen. When Hughes came on, he deliberately moved up to the half-way line before striding onto the pitch. I've been at the Bridge many many times but I've never heard an ovation like that for a player. Astounding game completely changed by the introduction of one man.

Not there - but watching it on the box, utterly enthralled, and willing Chelsea on. I felt so sorry for them after the semi-final the previous year (Phelan's injury, Hoddle failing to take him off and all that), was desperate for them to win something at last, loved Gullit (and Zola, and Sparky), and was gutted by what happened to poor Matthew Harding only months earlier. Indeed, when I heard about it, I immediately thought to myself: "This has to be their year in the Cup now".

I also really wanted Eddie Newton and Steve Clarke - unsung heroes, both - to finally win something. In truth, I definitely had a soft spot for Chelsea around that time: it faded post the Cup Winners' Cup success the following year (I remember levitating off my bed and punching the air when Zola scored the winner against Stuttgart), mainly because they became just too wealthy, too successful, and much too in thrall to over the hill mercenaries who joined them not because they were hungry, but for the chance of one last huge payday for my liking.

My last trip to the Bridge was for the Cup game against Norwich last season: I was in the Shed Lower, along with 5999 fellow Canaries! I really liked the feel of the place: very intimate and atmospheric for such a modern ground, especially given how vastly changed the club is now.

Not there - but watching it on the box, utterly enthralled, and willing Chelsea on. I felt so sorry for them after the semi-final the previous year (Phelan's injury, Hoddle failing to take him off and all that), was desperate for them to win something at last, loved Gullit (and Zola, and Sparky), and was gutted by what happened to poor Matthew Harding only months earlier. Indeed, when I heard about it, I immediately thought to myself: "This has to be their year in the Cup now".

I also really wanted Eddie Newton and Steve Clarke - unsung heroes, both - to finally win something. In truth, I definitely had a soft spot for Chelsea around that time: it faded post the Cup Winners' Cup success the following year (I remember levitating off my bed and punching the air when Zola scored the winner against Stuttgart), mainly because they became just too wealthy, too successful, and much too in thrall to over the hill mercenaries who joined them not because they were hungry, but for the chance of one last huge payday for my liking.

My last trip to the Bridge was for the Cup game against Norwich last season: I was in the Shed Lower, along with 5999 fellow Canaries! I really liked the feel of the place: very intimate and atmospheric for such a modern ground, especially given how vastly changed the club is now.

Favourite period of my life. I was there at the Stuttgart game. We lived just round the corner in Vanston Place. Hearts were good, Chelsea were good. We were signed to A&M Records five minutes down the road. I've been privileged to watch some immense players - Dalglish, Zola, Ruud, McCann, Cameron, Nevin- ones that make you love the game. It's a toss-up for me between Bannon and Hughes for my all-time great. Maybe Bannon shades it as they're just such fond memories.

Wasn't the first game an Edinburgh derby?

Definately 3 up there for me:

- the 4-4 derby at Tynie

- the first of the Liverpool v Newcastle 4-3 games

- our 4-3 loss to Rangers in the league cup final

Also 2 World Cup games from 1982:

- Italy 3 Brazil 2

- s/f France 3 W Germany 3 (W Germany won on pens)

Gerd Muller

The most exciting game I've seen was the 5-1 de vries game. It was just fantastic to watch. JLV played his best game. Kirky and De Vries terrorising the hibs defence.

Always remember the Spurs Man City cup game. Not sure if it was a reply or not but City won 4-3 after being down 3-0 at Half-time at White Hart Lane. I watched it in the boozer and nearly everyone in the pub was wanting Man City to win after the comeback they made and when they scored, it was a superb feeling even from a Hearts fan but imagine what the man city fans would have been feeling!!

BervieJambo

A Scotland v Germany U21 Euro Championship match at Pittodrie back in the early 90s. Scotland won 4-3. Fantastic match.

Definately 3 up there for me:

- the 4-4 derby at Tynie

- the first of the Liverpool v Newcastle 4-3 games

- our 4-3 loss to Rangers in the league cup final

Also 2 World Cup games from 1982:

- Italy 3 Brazil 2

- s/f France 3 W Germany 3 (W Germany won on pens)

You have just read my mind:eek:

Midloth_Iain

Scotland 3 - 2 Holland 1978

Argentina 3 - 1 Holland Final 1978

Italy 3 - 2 Brazil 1982

Ranger 4 - 3 Hearts 1996 LC Final

Hearts 3- 2 Stuttgart

Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma

Man Utd 2 - 1 Bayern CL Final

Hearts 4 - 2 Slavia Prague

Hearts 1 - 0 Bayern

John Findlay

Aged seven and a bit. Watching the Brazil team of 1970. The only team I know who have truly merited the term playing the beautiful game.

Scoring four against an Italian team built on defence in the final of the world cup with Carlos Alberto scoring probably the greatest goal I have ever seen was just footballing bliss. Yes even at the age of seven and a bit.

Us laddies in Royston Mains Place trying to emulate Pele's halfway line shot and dummy of a goalkeeper. We had never seen anything like it.

Half-way shot was against the then Czechoslovakia. The dumy on the keeper was against Uruguay. Magic just magic.

John

I'd say Scotland 2-1 Czechoslovakia, Sept 1973. Will never forget Joe Jordan's toothless grin after he scored the winner to get us to the World Cup finals in 1974, qualifying for the first time in donkeys. (We were eliminated fom the finals despite being the only unbeaten team in the competition.)

And beating the subsequent finalists, Holland, in Argentina 1978 restored some badly damaged pride. Was a great performance from what should have been a great team. Will be a long time, I fear, 'til we see another as good.

As for Hearts, 10 years ago at Parkhead will do nicely, thanks.

my most exciting must be the 6-5 win over dundee united in the scottish cup 1968 at tannadice.

WHAT A GAME.

Rudolf's Mate

Brilliant.

Thought 98 final was a great game though if you mean the game that was nearly called off due to the snok and Neil McCann ripped them to bits then I have to agree with you! Still can't believe we lost that game and if I remember correctly just before Gazza scored Robbo got elbowed off the ball and we should have had a foul!

Tom Heaney

Perhaps not classics, but for me exciting

The league cup final which we obviously lost to Der Hun , The League Cup game against Sellick at Tynie, I think it was Gary Naismiths debut and Andy Thorn played that night, wee Robbo scored the winner and last but not least The Wayne Foster derby :cool:

As I said not all classics but exciting games in one way or another

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

The match that made the biggest impression on me as a kid was the 2-0 v Wales at Anfield 1978.

The penalty. The King Kenny goal. Absolutely amazing.

Another great game was in the 1986 world cup USSR v Belgium. 4-3 to Belgium and I think they had two offside goals allowed.

At Tynie, well the 1986 Cup game v Rangers where Colin McAdam scored the winner sticks out.

2-1 V Aberdeen in late 1986 was great 1-0 V Celtic in Scottish Cup 1987, a Robbo freekick....

5-1 was great because it was so unexpected. 4-4 amazing 4-2 Motherwell after being 0-2 down...

So many...

I have to say that I am disappointed by the amount of votes for a draw at home to a lesser side. I understand the fuzzy memories but it is STILL only a draw against them.

Hearts games that stand out are

4-2 R@ng*rs

1-0 Bayern

0-1 Vienna

1-2 Hibs (Cup game)

1-0 C*lt!c (the Andy Thorn cup game)

The most recent game I recall so vividly is the win at Home to R@ng*rs when Andrews halved Bednar. I truly believed that day we were capable of winning the league, the only time in my adult life.

Sorry, forgot non Hearts games.

The Spain - Yugoslavia (5-4) game was a gem.

As for teams, the Manchester United team of the mid nineties and the AC Milan team of the early nineties were fantastic football sides.

Charlie-Brown

The Dinamo Kiev team that had Shevchenko & Rebrov were also quite exciting to watch and took some high profile scalps in the champs league.

Archived