Commonwealth Opening Ceremony ( merged threads )

tartofmidlothian

I P Knightley

As an aside, was talking about this with a colleague of mine at work and she said, "Oh, touchy subject". She then elaborated.

Turns out her Dad won the Commonwealth Gold for Scotland in the marathon in the 1954 games held in Vancouver. A race more famous for the English chap collapsing before the finish.

Anyway, not one invite from the Games organisers to this Scottish Gold medalist, Scotland's only marathon winner, and in the 60th anniversary too. He even raced for Glasgow Harriers! Shameful and shocking omission.

Very poor show. My neighbour's dad was a hurdler for GB in two Olympics in the '50s ('54 and '58?). He was invited to the opening of London 2012 and to the final of the equivalent event to the one he'd competed in. Cost next to nothing and a wonderful touch to acknowledge our heritage.

Given that it was done only two years ago, you'd have thought that Weedgie2014 would have been aware of it and done likewise..

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley

I'm gay. I want to see men kissing live on BBC TV.

No complaints from me.

Well done.

Guest C00l K1d

Doesn't make me feel ashamed to be Scottish or that, but it was just cringey as feck and absolutely typical of Scotland to come up with something like that.

Must admit I enjoyed the ceremony and everyone in the stadium seemed too as well. Think maybe folk need to lighten up a bit and no take things so seriously

GlasgoJambo

My friends who went had a great time and had their scepticism blown away. I went to see Belle & Sebastian with a thousand other dandies. Tweetastic.

Another Jambo who works in Glasgow and has done for some time. Never had any bother because of it.

As for last night, I was there and have to say I enjoyed it. That opening scene seemed a tad rushed, but I could see what they were trying to get across - welcome to Glasgow, welcome to Scotland. We're tolerant and support equality, now let's remind ourselves of what we're famous for worldwide - no surprise it was golf, irn-bru, tunnocks, nessie, etc. And for those slagging Karen Dunbar, she was a singer before moving into comedy and I thought she was ok.

Not a fan of Rod or Subo, but I coped with their presence.

Entertainment in the stadium started an hour before the main event and the atmosphere was really good.

The Treasurer

Oh God.

#weegieword of the day.

:facepalm:

Made even worse (if that's possible) by Hazel Irvine putting on her "glesgae" accent

Made even worse (if that's possible) by Hazel Irvine putting on her "glesgae" accent

Jane Lewis has changed her accent too for this.

Area now becomes err-ria

Guest GhostHunter

Just waiting for the subtitles for when they interview the Scots medalists..

It's coming....

The Treasurer

Just waiting for the subtitles for when they interview the Scots medalists..

It's coming....

But with the informative weegieword of the day, soon everyone will be talking fluent weeg so no need for subtitles

brilliant to see louise win a silver medal her son and husband will be so proud i know her father in law is.

I think this thread fuels the belief that Scots are their own biggest critics.

Sixteen pages on the opening ceremony which although not great still had some good moments.

On the actual Commie Games thread only five pages. Hardly any mention about how well Scotland are doing both in and out of competition.

It seems folk would rather see the bad things than the good.

I know where my priorities lie .

Newspapers in Oz liked the opening ceremony. The only people who didn't like it were Scottish (it seems).

I think this thread fuels the belief that Scots are their own biggest critics.

Sixteen pages on the opening ceremony which although not great still had some good moments.

On the actual Commie Games thread only five pages. Hardly any mention about how well Scotland are doing both in and out of competition.

It seems folk would rather see the bad things than the good.

I know where my priorities lie .

I think the thread for the Commie Games is slowly gaining momentum. The opening ceremony thread was a bit like a Eurovision thread - lots of people posting spontaneous and sometimes very funny comments on a "show" which had its highs and lows. I wouldn't read too much into it. I take the general point, though.

Newspapers in Oz liked the opening ceremony. The only people who didn't like it were People outside Glasgow who have a bizarre hatred of everything on the west. (it seems).

FTFY. :thumbsup:

FTFY. :thumbsup:

It would also seem people who are homophobic didn't enjoy it either. Don't forget them!!!!

MacDonald Jardine

Jane Lewis has changed her accent too for this.

Area now becomes err-ria

That's Glasgow Catholic speak.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Seymour M Hersh

Some people seemed to have missed the comic self parody. Scots have always been excellent at ripping the pish out of themselves and each other. I don't think "visitors" would get it, but I don't think that matters. They like to believe all that shite is serious.

Has all the, but it was all just self deprecating and a parody of Scottish Kitsch laughing at ourselves stuff, just appeared after the show was universally slated?

Maroon Sailor

Some of the opening ceremony props are up for auction.

?1500 for a teacake

The Treasurer

Some of the opening ceremony props are up for auction.

?1500 for a teacake

When I read this I assumed that any profit from this auction of props etc would go to the Unicef appeal.

Sadly it seems that the organisers are keeping it all to themselves to cover the costs of the freebies they're handing out to each other

Maroon Sailor

When I read this I assumed that any profit from this auction of props etc would go to the Unicef appeal.

Sadly it seems that the organisers are keeping it all to themselves to cover the costs of the freebies they're handing out to each other

Now why doesn't that surprise me ?!

They're going to be raking it in as well

Archived