Commonwealth Opening Ceremony ( merged threads )

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Will it be a load of tartan shite or will they pull something fantastic out of the bag?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jambos_1874

I'm going to be optimistic and say brilliant. Unless it makes any reference to the Old Firm that is.

I know a few folk who've seen the rehearsals and all have said it's enjoyable. Funny and poignant. Not sure i'll bother watching to be honest though.

Jaap's Sigh

Hope it's decent. I have tickets for me and the wife. Heading out for dinner at Chaophraya first.

Borthers was at the dress rehearsal the other night and reckoned it would be quite entertaining, according to his Twitter.

The Natural Order

I just love the fact that Celtic Park has a Royal Box built for the Queen. Think the Green Brigade will be spewing much?

Have to say I'm no fan of opening ceremonies at sports events.

Watch a bit of the World Cup OC with the wee fella.

After about 30 seconds he was like :cornette:

I just love the fact that Celtic Park has a Royal Box built for the Queen. Think the Green Brigade will be spewing much?

I just cannot get my head around this. Her Majesty at IRA Central.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm surprised that they have allowed their stadium to be used.

Have to see the opening ceremony to the WC was total pants! It will be hard to do a worse OC

tartofmidlothian

The Olympics one was superb though. Even the worst bits weren't dreadful, and it all had a point.

tartofmidlothian

I'm surprised that they have allowed their stadium to be used.

I'm not. They'll be awash with Commie Games money because of it, plus it's all about the East End and they're right over from the Chris Hoy Arena.

Going over two France on Monday for two weeks, will miss most of it thankfully, Glasgow is a feckin nightmare to get around, roads blocked etc, baa Humbug!!

Malcolm Tucker

I don't know how anyone could expect the opening ceremony of an event such as this in Scotland not to have some tartan/stereotypes in it.

I went to the dress rehearsal on Monday night, it's all done in a good tone - light-hearted, not taking itself too seriously but with some poignancy behind it as well.

The chip-on-the-shoulder brigade who despise Glasgow probably won't enjoy segments of it, but that's their problem.

I was pleasantly surprised by it, and Celtic Park is an ideal venue I must say. The way the stadium is lends itself to it perfectly with the 3 big stands looking down on the wee stand where the screen/stage is.

The Olympics one was superb though. Even the worst bits weren't dreadful, and it all had a point.

That had Danny Boyle's mastermind behind it though. You are right - it was superb.

I don't know how anyone could expect the opening ceremony of an event such as this in Scotland not to have some tartan/stereotypes in it.

I went to the dress rehearsal on Monday night, it's all done in a good tone - light-hearted, not taking itself too seriously but with some poignancy behind it as well.

The chip-on-the-shoulder brigade who despise Glasgow probably won't enjoy segments of it, but that's their problem.

I was pleasantly surprised by it, and Celtic Park is an ideal venue I must say. The way the stadium is lends itself to it perfectly with the 3 big stands looking down on the wee stand where the screen/stage is.

Glasgow can be quite crass and smug when i comes to promoting itself, and i say that working in the culture and tourism sector, but it plays on the tartan and shortbread schtick a lot less than any other major city in Scotland. Edinburgh is by far and away the worst for twee crap.

But that's fine. Tourists want twee crap and Edinburgh is a huge tourist venue.

Borthers was at the dress rehearsal the other night and reckoned it would be quite entertaining, according to his Twitter.

One thing I would say is that there's a huge difference between taking something like that in when you're in attendance - what with all the lights, colour, noise etc - and watching it on TV.

Is it just Glasgow based, primarily Glasgow, with a bit of Scotland, or all Scotland encompassing.

I'm with you, of course there will be some stereotypes and hopefully they are done with banter - tartan, whisky, c u jimmy hats, haggis, irn bru (if advertising is allowed). From Jamie Borthwick's tweet picture looked like some nessie too.

I see the programme on BBC is 3 hours long so hopefully there is enough time to get a load of Scotland's achievements in there too.

Roads, bicycles, tyres, canals, coal gas lighting, steamboats, television, electric clock, flush toilet telephone, ATMs, prudent banking (haha); penicillon; Barrie, Stevenson, Scott, Burns....

And that's not looked at sporting achievdements, starting with golf. Music and so on and so on

One final thing I'd love to see ut doubt it would happen and that would be for the final scene / song to be 'A man's a man for a' that'

Probably get Susan boyle singing the slosh. :)

PS - Sporting Heroes just finishing on SS2 with Alan Wells.

Bollocks.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm personally not into Glasgow. But I've never lived there so I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the place.

Can I ask though; does Glasgow get a fair percentage of tourists? Outside events like this I mean.

This is going to be absolute pish. Probably on a par with that shite at the castle the other night.

I'm personally not into Glasgow. But I've never lived there so I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the place.

Can I ask though; does Glasgow get a fair percentage of tourists? Outside events like this I mean.

It's quite difficult to tell "tourist" numbers - it depends on your definition of tourist/visitors. It gets lots of conferences - are the delegates counted as "tourists" or "visitors" - the same with people staying over if they're seeing someone at the Hydro for example.

When the Burrell opened and when Krlvingrove reopened they had over a million visitors in their first year, displacing Edinburgh Castle as the most visited attraction. Most of these visitors were local though and in the following years numbers eased off.

RustyRightPeg

My coach went to see the dress rehearsal, said it's a drag, boring, fireworks are bang average, the full shebang really.

Went to rehearsal, it's not that bad but wouldn't cancel other plans to stay in and watch it (it was also quite hard to judge as a number of the celebs weren't there). Not helped by a truly awful opening number. After that it improves and although not on a par with London its about as good as could be expected so if you like these sorts of things sit tight. They've done well to make it generically Scotland rather than just Glasgow in jokes. Apparently the fireworks were impressive from outside but they were underwhelming from inside. Had to chuckle at the singing of God save the Queen and also a giant red hand getting plastered on the screen, there will be a few outraged tims I'm sure which should keep social media entertained.

It's quite difficult to tell "tourist" numbers - it depends on your definition of tourist/visitors. It gets lots of conferences - are the delegates counted as "tourists" or "visitors" - the same with people staying over if they're seeing someone at the Hydro for example.

When the Burrell opened and when Krlvingrove reopened they had over a million visitors in their first year, displacing Edinburgh Castle as the most visited attraction. Most of these visitors were local though and in the following years numbers eased off.

You're right that huge numbers of visitors were local. Kelvingrove is also free, whereas the castle is fairly pricey. Edinburgh is the second most 'visited' city in the UK, with around 1.3mil visitors annually. Glasgow is 6th with around half a million, but is pretty close to the likes of manchester and liverpool.

Angry Haggis

From my post on the Commie Games thread....

Rod Stewart and Susan Boyle duet of 'I am Sailing' while riding a giant Mars bar on a sea of Iron Brew - the Mars bars then heads into the opening ceremony centre piece of a deep fat fryer - which turns said Mars bars into deep fried wonder and hopefully scalds to death Rod and Suz just as they kick into 'Do you think Im sexy..'. Great.

Also the planned (then cancelled) demolition of high rises tied into the opening ceremony - lets bring that back..and put RunRig, Wet Wet Wet and Deacon Blue upon each tower receptively then blow them to pieces in some kind of musical synchronised shit Scottish band explosion. With the Proclaimers milling about somewhere at the bottom of the high rises just before demolition.

Now thats a show.

Can I also add in The Bay City Rollers doing 'Shang-a-lang' dressed in the Scotland team tartan horrendous outfits - perfect.

And Nessie - yes who could forget the Loch Ness Monster herself - get a Nessie eating Susan Boyle sequence, what entertainment.

Thankfully will miss the opening ceremony, got band rehearsal tonight, the joy of a sweaty studio is better than watching that load of tosh, baa Humbug!!

It's depressingly predictable that some will go out of their way to bang on about how much they despise it. It's just the way of things at the moment, even moreso than usual.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it very much. I have a pal who is in it and they've been rehearsing their socks off for weeks, it really was a big commitment time-wise and I'm excited for them. People have put a lot of work into it and that is to be applauded.

That said, I can have fun pretty much anywhere so this sort of thing appeals to me anyway. Jazz hands FTW, love a good old fashioned (or modern) show :)

Looking forward to Lulu who,when being interviewed on the Beeb,was happy being back in her 'hood with her tribe.

Guest C00l K1d

We're just always cringey when we do stuff like this.

Hopefully we can do something half decent tonight.

The uniforms are hardly filling me with confidence on that mind.

Anything decent is very much the exception to these things. Just look at the absolute drivel served up in Rio last month.

Think it'll be no bad, with certain points where I'll be covering my eyes, cringing

Five minutes of. The One Show convinced me that the opening ceremony is not for me.

Five minutes of. The One Show convinced me that the opening ceremony is not for me.

Five minutes of The One Show could convince anyone that the very idea of television is a bad one.

heartsfc_fan

Still not sure why they are using Celtic Park for the opening ceremony (and that's it - no events there).

The Olympic stadium in London was used for the Opening and closing ceremony plus the track and field.

I hope they belt out God Save The Queen tonight to noise up the Tims :D

Chris Benoit

Still not sure why they are using Celtic Park for the opening ceremony (and that's it - no events there).

The Olympic stadium in London was used for the Opening and closing ceremony plus the track and field.

I hope they belt out God Save The Queen tonight to noise up the Tims :D

Remember it was a good few days after the opening ceremony that they could use the stadium. That's not an option here.

I'm going to be optimistic and say brilliant. Unless it makes any reference to the Old Firm that is.

Took about 90 seconds......

heartsfc_fan

Remember it was a good few days after the opening ceremony that they could use the stadium. That's not an option here.

Fair point.

Going to go against the grain here, but Rebecca Adlington is quite tidy :wub:

Was about to post that the first person who tries to claim she is tidy should be shot.

She is a dog.

Archived