Commonwealth Opening Ceremony ( merged threads )

tartofmidlothian

I'm not anti gay but I do want to see men kissing live on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant Country.

This.

Someone trying to make a political point to certain Commonwealth countries?

There are ways and means of going about things. That's not it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how to put in link, but The Herald has slated the opening ceremony. The one paper you would think may be supportive.

The Guardian also has a good piece, telling how bad it was.

I'm not anti-straight, but i just don't want to see a man and a woman kiss on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country. That kiss in the ballet sequence was disgusting.

I'm not racist, but i just don't want to see a black man and a chinese woman kiss on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country.

I'm not anti-chocolate and marshmallow tea supplement, but i just don't want to see Tunnocks Tea Cakes on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country.

You either believe in equality or you don't. If you think two men sharing a kiss is worthy of commentary, but don't think a man and a woman having a kiss in the exact same programme is then you're a homophobe. You're probably not a slavering or nasty homophobe and are probably capable of being a decent human being for the most part. But if you think two people kissing is any different from any other two people kissing then it's you with the problem.

I can't see why you'd get flustered about watching a couple of lads having a snog.

Mo Farah (or anyone else) pulling out is an entirely different matter. :eek:

:whistling:

I'm not anti-straight, but i just don't want to see a man and a woman kiss on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country. That kiss in the ballet sequence was disgusting.

I'm not racist, but i just don't want to see a black man and a chinese woman kiss on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country.

I'm not anti-chocolate and marshmallow tea supplement, but i just don't want to see Tunnocks Tea Cakes on BBC TV just to show Scotland is a tolerant country.

You either believe in equality or you don't. If you think two men sharing a kiss is worthy of commentary, but don't think a man and a woman having a kiss in the exact same programme is then you're a homophobe. You're probably not a slavering or nasty homophobe and are probably capable of being a decent human being for the most part. But if you think two people kissing is any different from any other two people kissing then it's you with the problem.

If Alex Salmond had used the ceremony to make a point about independence the seethe on here would have been ridiculous.

Same thing.

That's my objection.

If you choose to frame it otherwise that's up to you.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If Alex Salmond had used the ceremony to make a point about independence the seethe on here would have been ridiculous.

Same thing.

That's my objection.

One is a political matter. The other is about equality. They're not even remotely comparable.

For any English reading this link, Glasgow is our Liverpool. Hence the self indulgence.

"we don't care where you come from boy, we'll never send you away". etc., ...

Looking forward to BBC Strathclyde ignoring/sulking about the worlds biggest arts festival in August.

One is a political matter. The other is about equality. They're not even remotely comparable.

Perfectly put. No need to expand on this answer, because it really is that simple.

The Treasurer

They should just have had a gay, half Oriental, half African cross-dresser snogging a tea cake.

Would have saved time and covered all bases

They should just have had a gay, half Oriental, half African cross-dresser snogging a tea cake.

Better than Karen Dunbar singing.

ArcticJambo

I can't see why you'd get flustered about watching a couple of lads having a snog.

Mo Farah (or anyone else) pulling out is an entirely different matter. :eek:

:whistling:

:rofl:

Though, strangely Gordon Mathieson did seem so ... must have known Mo was pulling out.

rossthejambo

Same thing.

That's my objection.

Independence and gay rights aren't even remotely comparable.

I have a feeling you know that and are at it though.

Stick the tea cake in a wheelchair, and you would have had the full house.

As teenagers in the 70s Glasgow was a scary place and rightly so. Especially on a Saturday night after an OF clash.

Going to concerts at the Apollo (Green's Playhouse) we would run from Queen's Street Station along Bath Street to West Nile Street. We'd run all the way back again to the station for the last train. I must have been in my early-20s before we'd stop for a beer on the way.

Boaby Ewing

What I've seen of it was ******* gash, tbf.

There was no way back from the twee, comical beginning.

If would have been like rolling out Alan Carr at the London Olympics opening ceremony rather than Brunel.

Nookie Bear

It was just the pauper's version of the Olympic opening ceremony.

Loads of (supposed) humour, knowing nods to national stereotypes, some famous faces involved (they got Branagh, we got Barrowman) a bit of bragging over what the country has contributed to the world and then the teams coming out to a constant dance beat with dancers surrounding the track.

In fairness, the way the countries are introduced fair cranks up the atmosphere. The rest was guaranteed to be 'interesting', at best.

Loads of (supposed) humour, knowing nods to national stereotypes, some famous faces involved (they got Branagh, we got Barrowman) a bit of bragging over what the country has contributed to the world and then the teams coming out to a constant dance beat with dancers surrounding the track.

In fairness, the way the countries are introduced fair cranks up the atmosphere. The rest was guaranteed to be 'interesting', at best.

You forgot millionaires and other very rich people, telling us all to give money to UNICEF.

As if anything could make me more ashamed of being Scottish then there we go.

In fairness, that's what happens at every single opening ceremony ever.

Geoff Kilpatrick

:cornette:

deesidejambo

And they would have won the Eurovision Song Contest as well.

10 years in and i'm yet to have any bother about being a hearts fan from edinburgh. Guess i got lucky.

Likewise. If it's a Celtic fan they'll make a joke about us being Cousins of William but that's it.

It was meant to be cheesy entertainment. And that's what we got.

Apart from the awful Karen Dunbar it was fine. I'd have swapped her for Lulu.

After watching the highlights again, even John Barrowman wasn't that bad although I didn't quite get the kiss thing. But hey ho.

I certainly won't be lying around all day in bed, too scared of going out of the house in case I meet someone from Japan or wherever ridiculing for being born Scottish.

Ashamed!!!

Ha ha, give me a break.

It was meant to be cheesy entertainment. And that's what we got.

Apart from the awful Karen Dunbar it was fine. I'd have swapped her for Lulu.

After watching the highlights again, even John Barrowman wasn't that bad although I didn't quite get the kiss thing. But hey ho.

I certainly won't be lying around all day in bed, too scared of going out of the house in case I meet someone from Japan or wherever ridiculing for being born Scottish.

Ashamed!!!

Ha ha, give me a break.

I liked the John Barrowman bit.... only bit I didn't like was Dunbar, why couldn't they just get someone that could sing??

Any ceremony that involves the Shaman and giant dancing tea cakes is fine by me.

.. only bit I didn't like was Dunbar, why couldn't they just get someone that could sing??

Was it nae meant tae be an Oor Wullie tribute.

I watched it and was a bit disappointed with the beginning. At first it looked to me that it had been done on a low budget. It did seem to improve as it went on. I was a bit disappointed when Ewen Mcgregor made the first UNICEF appeal, and it was made very clear that the six volunteers were all from Glasgow. It did appear to me that Glasgow rightly so in some respects because that is where the ceremony was happening but did seem to be a bit over the top. I was also a bit disappointed in what looked on televison as a fairly small pipe band, obviously just a few representatives from each Regiment.

In all I have some sympathy for the organisers, the bar is set very high for these occasions now, cost is high, and there is not much hope for originality. My main criticism is why now in the U.K. does every occasion such as this require some geriatric singer from my day to be the featured performer. The U.K must have some younger celebrities who would do the situation justice.

On a positive my wife said the music and accents reminded her of the very happy years she spent in Scotland and how she loved the music and people, and particularly the humour.

Pete Seeger

Trying being there when they find out you're from Edinburgh or even worse, an Edinburgh football fan.

Have you ever left Scotland? It's about the safest country I've ever been in. I include Glasgow in that. Glaswegians generally are pretty hospitable people.

Pete Seeger

If an opening ceremony of an athletics competition is all you have to be ashamed about id say you're easily ashamed. It was harmless entertainment if a little cringy at points. Hardly something to be ashamed of. What a drama queen.

Out of interest what are you doing personally to make Scotland a better place?

I watched it and was a bit disappointed with the beginning. At first it looked to me that it had been done on a low budget. It did seem to improve as it went on. I was a bit disappointed when Ewen Mcgregor made the first UNICEF appeal, and it was made very clear that the six volunteers were all from Glasgow. It did appear to me that Glasgow rightly so in some respects because that is where the ceremony was happening but did seem to be a bit over the top. I was also a bit disappointed in what looked on televison as a fairly small pipe band, obviously just a few representatives from each Regiment.

In all I have some sympathy for the organisers, the bar is set very high for these occasions now, cost is high, and there is not much hope for originality. My main criticism is why now in the U.K. does every occasion such as this require some geriatric singer from my day to be the featured performer. The U.K must have some younger celebrities who would do the situation justice.

On a positive my wife said the music and accents reminded her of the very happy years she spent in Scotland and how she loved the music and people, and particularly the humour.

I agree wih you about the singers. I am sure there are many up and coming Scottish soloists as bands, of all genres, who would hAve done a fantastic job, raising their profile and opportunities into the bargain. Certainly better than Karen Dunbar, and possibly better, or as good as, Rod Stewart. An excellent chance to showcase young talent and unsigned bands has been missed.

Understandably, they had an eye on tickets sales.

:awful:

Even using larger font to attempt to get more bites. Ashamed someone on KB could be so shan at ::troll:::'> 'ing

Good points especially re the bar being set high and being original. I quite like that they did the countries coming in by continent - that made a wee change. But hosting the Commonwealth Games is probably the biggest gig that Glasgow / Edinburgh / Scotland can get now. As far as I can see the Olympics have become such a bloated beast it will only be very large cities >5million that could consider it.

Homosexuality is illegal in 42 of the 53 countries taking part - it was meant to be quite a big statement.

Homosexuality is illegal in 42 of the 53 countries taking part - it was meant to be quite a big statement.

And it was.

If anyone from those countries was offended,they can piss off .........how's that for friendly!

I believe in Uganda it is a criminal offence punishable by a jail sentence not to report to the authorities someone you know to be gay. International outrage led to the dropping of the death penalty for repeat "offenders". Ugandans having a gay relationship abroad are also liable for extradition and life imprisonment.

Oh God.

#weegieword of the day.

:facepalm:

You can be guaranteed 'shame' won't be one.

Pretty much agree with that. Don't mind Rod though. Thought once the kitsch Dunbar/Barrowman led ensemble was over things got better. Billy Connolly's Mandela piece was excellent.

One thing I couldn't stomach was the UNICEF charity stuff. Before I make my point, in no way am I denigrating UNICEF or the work that they do. All the points raised were extremely valid and public awareness is a great thing. However, surely this is something that the Commonwealth Heads of Government should be addressing and not a whip round by the citizens? By showing all those things, does it not highlight the complete failure and ineptitude of the Commonwealth as an institution?

What I found bizarre about the UNICEF bits, we sent (to some of the poorest areas in the world) envoys that couldn't take advantage of free dental care. Bet they compared gnashers and the dudes without readily available dental surgeries were better.

Jambos_1874

Never once had any bother when I lived in Glasgow 25 years ago. If anything being a Hearts supporter seemed rather novel to them.

I've played quite bit of 5s in Glasgow and whenever I've worn my Hearts top a lot of people tend to double-take when they see a Jambo walk by. It's like they can't comprehend that there might be a team outside the OF.

As for the anti-Glasgow comments on this thread, they are for the most part utter pish. People should be grateful that we have such a major sporting event in this country.

As if your posts couldn't get any more tedious, then there we go.

Cool following the story on here - might watch it now. But the cringe was too much for me. Just couldn't do it.

Its great its here. Great for Glasgow. Great for Scotland.

Interesting debate re the charity thing. Most folk at work thought it was good thing but I agree with what others said. Tough one but do stuff locally for those in need is the way. Oh and make greed socially unacceptable incl tax avoidance.

Archived