Time for a change in attitude amongst our fans.

Jabba

I'm glad that in RN we have someone who grew to expect to beat the Old Firm rather than hold to the usual entrenched belief that they are unbeatable. It's a shame that so many of our fans are still so negative in that respect.

We have seen Rangers struggle in so many important games that they should be breezing through over the last couple of seasons. I see no reason for that not to continue. They seem to have a knack of not unlocking potential ability in players who have previously looked very talented.

If RN is able to make the players believe that they have nothing to fear then anything is possible this season. Injuries and suspension will be our biggest problem so if we get some good luck on that front, and rangers some bad, I firmly believe we will compete for top spot.

I do have a tendency to view matters with maroon-tinted glasses but surely that is better than rolling over and surrendering hope before a ball has even been kicked.

The attitude of the fans and everyone around Tynie will have a huge impact on such a young squad. I'd love to see our support cast off the negativity that seems inherent in so many Scottish people. Anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john brownlee

The negativity is with GFA officials and the blazers not Heart of Midlothian 's ability to beat rantic or any other team in the Scottish setup. I'll always believe they have a least 12 on the park and my doubts will never change but here's hope ing maybe one day we may get that decision I know some said we did in May 1998.. So we will have to wait a very long time for the next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I firmly believe that we will win the league title this season.

That's the spirit.

You can't go by JKB. Most Hearts fans I know always believe we can beat the OF despite our record against them historically

Hearts have always been about eternal optimism, believing one day our time will come again to be champions of the top division.

We're in the lower tier but I don't think it's the same situation as trying to win the SPL.

Competing with Rangers head to head over the course of the season doesn't concern me.

It's the consistency required to beat the rest of the pack every other week that may see us fall short.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

As long as Rangers have a failed tv "personality" masquerading as a football manager in charge, I'll be expecting to comfortably beat them.

Falkirk my main worry.Apart from old firm I would think I have seen Falkirk beat us more than the rest.

I firmly believe that we will win the league title this season.

So do I. I expect Hibs and Falkirk to do better than Rangers too. Their few seasons in the bottom leagues will come back to bite them.

I always expect us to beat whoever we are playing too. I know that'll never happen but that's just me.

I'm glad that in RN we have someone who grew to expect to beat the Old Firm rather than hold to the usual entrenched belief that they are unbeatable. It's a shame that so many of our fans are still so negative in that respect.

We have seen Rangers struggle in so many important games that they should be breezing through over the last couple of seasons. I see no reason for that not to continue. They seem to have a knack of not unlocking potential ability in players who have previously looked very talented.

If RN is able to make the players believe that they have nothing to fear then anything is possible this season. Injuries and suspension will be our biggest problem so if we get some good luck on that front, and rangers some bad, I firmly believe we will compete for top spot.

I do have a tendency to view matters with maroon-tinted glasses but surely that is better than rolling over and surrendering hope before a ball has even been kicked.

The attitude of the fans and everyone around Tynie will have a huge impact on such a young squad. I'd love to see our support cast off the negativity that seems inherent in so many Scottish people. Anything is possible.

Rangers have breezed through the leagues so your wrong to say otherwise and pretty much the rest of your post is made up in your own head. Rangers head to head and over the course of a season will be tough to beat but are miles away from unbeatable.

The Huns have built a squad of players most of whom are used to finishing about fourth or fifth in the Premiership. Excuse me if I don't keek my pants/fawn all over them.

I think most fans are positive, and if those who do not believe we can beat Rangers or Celtic, think at least those at the club should believe they can.

The problem in the past though, as JB has said, is the officials. I do believe they did not think it should not happen, possibly influenced by the SFA, so any 50/50 decisions, or 'honest mistakes', usually befitted the Old Firm. We may be in a different league now, but it is the same officials - so it will be interesting to see how much has changed.

Clubs have also been handicapped by managers. When they employed the same old faces, year after year, and replaced them with another same old face. These faces, I think, did have the belief that we cannot, or should not, finish above one or both of the Old Firm, and I think this belief rubbed off on the players.

Even if they do have a better squad, or players, teams should not go in with the belief that they can only finish second, or third, especially if they are professionals.

I know it was a one off game (well two), but the attitude of Albion Rovers, and their manager, against Rangers in the cup last season, is what all clubs should have. They came so close to beating them at Ibrox, and would have done, had it not been for one of those 'honest mistakes' near the end of the game.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

:spoton:

Rangers have breezed through the leagues so your wrong to say otherwise and pretty much the rest of your post is made up in your own head. Rangers head to head and over the course of a season will be tough to beat but are miles away from unbeatable.

It's not made up in my own head though, is it? I've seen more than a few posts on here stating that second place is the best we can hope for.

I'm 30 and over the years I've supported hearts, most games against the OF have been approached with the attitude that a point is a good result. That's fact.

Rangers have breezed the league, looking at the table but looking at individual games they haven't been as convincing as many expected. Loads of games have been won in the last 15.

The big games I was alluding to were the cup games in which they have been pumped by lower opposition that were up for the fight.

I think most fans are positive, and if those who do not believe we can beat Rangers or Celtic, think at least those at the club should believe they can.

The problem in the past though, as JB has said, is the officials. I do believe they did not think it should not happen, possibly influenced by the SFA, so any 50/50 decisions, or 'honest mistakes', usually befitted the Old Firm. We may be in a different league now, but it is the same officials - so it will be interesting to see how much has changed.

Clubs have also been handicapped by managers. When they employed the same old faces, year after year, and replaced them with another same old face. These faces, I think, did have the belief that we cannot, or should not, finish above one or both of the Old Firm, and I think this belief rubbed off on the players.

Your last paragraph is exactly what I was getting at. I believe there are a fair number of our supporters that still struggle to see past that.

kingdannyb

We should win the league but seeing as The Rangers run Scottish football it might be difficult.

fabienleclerq

Rangers have signed potentially two twenty goal a season strikers, thing is I don't think they have the midfield to supply them.

I get the feeling they'll be a long ball team, if we get the ball on the deck and attack teams we have a chance to win the league.

It's not made up in my own head though, is it? I've seen more than a few posts on here stating that second place is the best we can hope for.

I'm 30 and over the years I've supported hearts, most games against the OF have been approached with the attitude that a point is a good result. That's fact.

Rangers have breezed the league, looking at the table but looking at individual games they haven't been as convincing as many expected. Loads of games have been won in the last 15.

The big games I was alluding to were the cup games in which they have been pumped by lower opposition that were up for the fight.

I think a few people do see us fighting for 2nd spot but the vast majority see us competing for 1st but know it will be tough. You can't really compare this season to previous seasons though where history has shown we and the rest of the league were fighting for 3rd spot and when you look at the money/wages rangers and Celtic spent then with good reason IMO.

Rangers are putting together a decent squad but we are able to compete plus of course we have the bonus of them being managed by super ally.

Rangers will struggle next season due to their languishing in the lower leagues for two years. We are dropping down our players are used to a higher level of fitness and standard of football. Their strike force has a combined age of 60 somthing and about as much pace as a snail.

We have nothing to fear from them I actually think they will struggle this year. Lookin at the report from their game yesterday they seem far from a threat. Plus the constant boardroom struggle will take its toll eventually, I will be surprised if they make it to the the end of the season without some more sanctions being placed on them.

bigsuperslim1874

Signing Boyd could be a game changer if they can get the ball to him - i think we all agree on that. However, I think the mix of hungry young players who have watched Rangers flounder in the lower levels and good seniors/overseas lads will mean that rangers will get no respect.

Its up to us to ensure that any dodgy decisions are immaterial by scoring that extra goal etc when required to get as many points as possible.

Jambos_1874

Very good OP. Every single non-OF fan in the country has been conditioned to believe that winning a league with either half (or both) of the OF is impossible. In any sport the belief that you can win is absolutely essential otherwise you are already at a disadvantage. We have a young squad and manager and I would hope that they don't care about the consistent failures to challenge the OF over the last three decades and actually genuinely believe we WILL win the league. People on here underestimate how bad a situation the Hun are in and how crap they are, irrespective of new additions to their squad. Time to begin the process of eroding the OF dominance because I am ******* fed up of them.

rossthejambo

I'm one of the most positive Hearts fans going in general, but at the end of the day, as long as we get promoted at the end of the season then it has been a success. Whether that's through the play offs or by winning the title.

Do I think we can win the title, yes, but only with a massive bit of luck. We don't have all that much squad depth at the moment.

Do I think we will, no. Rangers have a very strong team, assuming the same squad is there next season, it's a squad that should finish 2nd. That said, their manager is a disaster, but I don't think they'll drop as many points as we will over the season.

I think there are a number of factors that, combined, make it too difficult to call. I think the Championship will be Salary's first real test as a manager. However, it's also going to be Robby's first real test as a manager, too. And Stubbs's. I wouldn't for a second discount teams like Falkirk from putting in a challenge.

Hearts should absolutely not go into games against Rangers with anything to fear. But would we settle now for a point away in the first game of the new season? Let's face it, it would be a good point. I wouldn't want us to go with the intention of only getting a point, though.

I sometimes feel the problem with challenging the OF (I'm going to call them that for the sake of shorthand) is that teams feel that taking points off the OF is what matters. Beating every other team is equally, if not more, important. Only by doing that will we be in a position to make the results against Rangers really matter.

What Hearts supporters believe is academic, the players need to believe.

100% this.

I'm one of the most positive Hearts fans going in general, but at the end of the day, as long as we get promoted at the end of the season then it has been a success. Whether that's through the play offs or by winning the title.

Do I think we can win the title, yes, but only with a massive bit of luck. We don't have all that much squad depth at the moment.

Do I think we will, no. Rangers have a very strong team, assuming the same squad is there next season, it's a squad that should finish 2nd. That said, their manager is a disaster, but I don't think they'll drop as many points as we will over the season.

2nd really?

What Hearts supporters believe is academic, the players need to believe.

I agree that the players need to believe first and foremost. I touched on that in the OP.

However, I think you underestimate the effect that the support can have on the team psychologically. Either way, I'm sure everyone will be believing when we're unbeaten after the first 5 or 6.

:thumbsup:

rossthejambo

2nd really?

Certainly should be challenging for 2nd. It's a no worse squad than Aberdeen/Motherwell.

Like I said, the manager situation there would mean they wouldn't finish 2nd but it's definitely a good enough squad.

I agree that the players need to believe first and foremost. I touched on that in the OP.

However, I think you underestimate the effect that the support can have on the team psychologically. Either way, I'm sure everyone will be believing when we're unbeaten after the first 5 or 6.

I've been to many games against Rangers and Celtic and the support and atmosphere is generally really good (until we concede). So the evidence would suggest we've done that for years.

agree , attitude spreads whether it's negative or positive. Look at H1b5.

It all needs to align because you need the right players but a mentality bred at a club is the responsibility of all.

Remember when we had about the most expensive squad in the league under Romanov but a gash manager and chaos behind the scenes at the club?

We finished 8th in the league.

Rangers have an expensive squad but a poor manager and chaos behind the scenes. There is a big chance they will not play to expected levels this season.

Nelly Terraces

We should be aiming to win every game we play in this league, and I'm hoping the attitude is 'we can be top'. I'm certain it is and the players & management have the belief.

That said, however, you cannot underestimate the influence Sevco have, for example other smaller clubs playing at Ibrokes, they tend to bottle it & of course officials are, to put it mildy, more than willing to treat them in a different manner to us. So, getting 1st is our primary aim, but if we come 2nd, it won't be a major disaster.

grumpyespana

On paper they have a strong squad but in name only, I think we will run them close but its a tough league to get out off so anything can happen all I will say is we should not fear them.

Grumpy.

Holyrood_Hearts

I've been impressed with how the club has conducted it's business so far & making the changes it did, as well as getting new signings in early doors should help the preparations for the season.

This season is going to be a battle so the attitude & work ethic has to be right from the outset. I just hope the boys are focused for a tough season & don't have the mindset that we're too good to be playing at this level.

First time round at Hearts Levein had a very poor record against the OF - even when we finished 3rd. His negative approach to these OF games meant we rarely gave them a decent challenge as he never gave it a go.

Hopefully Robbie will play to the strengths of our young team which I think is based on fast attacking football.

In retrospect the title probably should have included "some of".

It's probably a bit sensationalist as it stands but never mind.

GarryJ-o-s

Competing with Rangers head to head over the course of the season doesn't concern me.

It's the consistency required to beat the rest of the pack every other week that may see us fall short.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

This point I think is where we may lose the league title. Since the sacking of Burley, we have only shown the type of form necessary to win a league under JJ in 2010/11 over that Christmas period when we were unbeatable.

Unfortunately, I doubt we can sustain that type of form over a season which will be necessary to win the league.

Happy to be proven wrong though...

This season we have a huge opportunity to change our and other teams attitude and mentality towards the Old Firm. By being able to compete with, outplay and beat Rangers this season we can finally defeat this fear of playing them. I think during his time in charge, Csaba tried to install this mentality, and Robbie should look to do the same!

We should look to A Madrid winning La Luga last season. Player for player they were not a better team than Barca or Real but with enough quality and belief they were able to finish above them and win the title!

letsalldothebeattie

They know they are in for a fight this season with us. When you have someone like Boyd coming out and saying if they finish above us they win the league. I think he is right if anyone finishes above us they win the league.

I think the side Robbie is building and the way the new era is coming along it all points to a good and successful season for the famous

Sepp's Bladder

i get pished before matches and always think we will win! but that is irrelevant. The winning mindset is only vital in the team... For fans it just encourages bums on seats.

I lack belief as all my life we are often pummelled by them! and despite strong starts from challengers, they always fade away and end up 20-40 point behind in third. Given, this isn't the same rangers (club or otherwise) I still believe our best chance of first is their finances.

grumpyespana

This season we have a huge opportunity to change our and other teams attitude and mentality towards the Old Firm. By being able to compete with, outplay and beat Rangers this season we can finally defeat this fear of playing them. I think during his time in charge, Csaba tried to install this mentality, and Robbie should look to do the same!

We should look to A Madrid winning La Luga last season. Player for player they were not a better team than Barca or Real but with enough quality and belief they were able to finish above them and win the title!

You have to remember that Rangers had world class players in those days not like now.

Grumpy.

We have a DoF who is no stranger to criticising dodgy refs.

That may help us as Rangers will get the benefit of many favourable decisions.

scott_jambo

They will buy their way out the division and if we are still a threat at Christmas, they will buy/unsettle our players.

colinmaroon

I will be disappointed if we don't win the quadruple

What you smokin', man?

colinmaroon

They will buy their way out the division and if we are still a threat at Christmas, they will buy/unsettle our players.

There's a word of prophecy for you!

scott_jambo

In terms of ability, we can win the league if we go the whole season with no injuries.

The squad depths just aren't comparable though.

Archived