WC 2014 - Argentina v Iran Official Official Thread

Guest GhostHunter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Chimp

Do you really think this has been anything other than awful? Yes, Iran are playing their game well but Argentina have been dreadful.

Tactically, it's good from Iran but entertainment wise it's been eyebleeding.

Game would improve 300% if Di Maria got hooked.

I'm enjoying watching Iran being so disciplined and defensive. It's not a classic but plenty to take from the game.

Had Argentina -4 but clearly there's no goal fest so just stuck a massive ?2 on Iran at 33/1. They've done really well so far.

rossthejambo

I'm enjoying watching Iran being so disciplined and defensive. It's not a classic but plenty to take from the game.

Yep, Di Maria has been ******* awful. Get Lavezzi on and have him run at the full backs, he might be able to find an Argentina player with a pass/cross now and again as well.

I haven't seen him loads of times, but every time I watch him, he's ******* murder.

Gregory House M.D.

Messi and Higuain skint senseless :jjyay:

ArcticJambo

Only speculating but body language of Argentinians suggest the forwards lack harmony. Aguero and Di Maria have been naff over both games, and Higuain has disappeared.

rossthejambo

Higuain has been god awful as well actually.

Dejagah is causing Zabaleta all sorts of bother.

Tommy Wiseau

Not one Argentina player has put in even a reasonable performance. Truly awful from them. Let's not kid ourselves on that they are playing a half decent outfit here.

The Great Khali

Just put a tenner on Iran to score first at 9/1 just as that header and save happened :wow:

Gregory House M.D.

:wow:

Argentina on the ropes.

I haven't seen him loads of times, but every time I watch him, he's ******* murder.

Must've missed the Champions League final then, because he was outstanding that night.

Guest GhostHunter

My lad has just asked why are Aguero and Messi playing like they don't care...

Role models, aye ?

Messi anonymous. Higuain having a 'mare. Gago doing his best to be a bombscare. Di Maria a passenger.

Jesus, Argentina are useless. It's like watching Man U. :facepalm:

Oxford City

Only speculating but body language of Argentinians suggest the forwards lack harmony. Aguero and Di Maria have been naff over both games, and Higuain has disappeared.

Messi criticised the coach's selection and formation publicly after the first game. There isn't a great deal Sabella can do because I don't think he'd win a popularity contest with Messi.

Gregory House M.D.

Messi criticised the coach's selection and formation publicly after the first game. There isn't a great deal Sabella can do because I don't think he'd win a popularity contest with Messi.

Messi isn't as popular as you'd think in Argentina.

Guest GhostHunter

I think you're just making things up now.

ArcticJambo

Right to criticize not publicly though. Doesn't look like he has the selection right here either, although it's difficult to say at the moment.

Oxford City

No, there's something in that - he isn't an idol in the way Maradona was because he left for Spain at such an early age. He's still quite popular though.

Gregory House M.D.

Argentinians like him obviously but he's not looked upon as highly as over here and in Europe. Interviews with Argentina fans before this tournament confirm that. Most of them saying he'll never be Maradona (or as highly thought of) Understandable TBF. He's never turned up for them in any international tournament.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2014/5/20/jffrvld8h0k44w67zsd9z78cff6wl5

Guest GhostHunter

That's not the same thing though.

"Do you think Messi is better than Maradona ?"

'No.'

"Do you think Messi is the best Argentinian player just now ?"

'Yes'

The People's Chimp

No, there's something in that - he isn't an idol in the way Maradona was because he left for Spain at such an early age. He's still quite popular though.

He had to leave though. He'd be about 4ft today if he hadn't. Obviously unless Argentina win the WC with him, he'll never reach Maradona-esque heights of popularity.

When you are faced with a wall you either batter your way through it or move around it

Argentina do not have that battering type of centre forward and so far seem unable to move the ball wide at pace to exploit the space that exists out there........but they do have Messi

Gregory House M.D.

That's not the same thing though.

"Do you think Messi is better than Maradona ?"

'No.'

"Do you think Messi is the best Argentinian player just now ?"

'Yes'

Being the best player isn't the same as being popular. It's common knowledge Argentinians are a bit meh about him. See link I added to the comment.

What the **** is with that palacios hair!?

was about to ask the same thing, did he only pay for part of that haricut?

The People's Chimp

Iran @ 16s right now. Few mugs going to be lumping desperate tenners on that. :lol:

He's right Dex. Tim Vickery has often commented on it. Messi is seen by a good few as a 'deserter' and a 'traitor' for going to Europe before playing in Argentina. Its a reason why the likes of Tevez are highly regarded there. He didnt.

Guest GhostHunter

Being the best player isn't the same as being popular. It's common knowledge Argentinians are a bit meh about him. See link I added to the comment.

Fair do's.

was about to ask the same thing, did he only pay for part of that haricut?

IIRC its a neighborhood thing from where he comes from in Argentina.

Gregory House M.D.

Well, he can do that after 90 minutes of shite. :lol:

Simply Messi,,,,,,,when you have the best player in the world you know you always have a chance.

Sublime finish

Archived