Trance Music

Jeff

A certain Mr van Dyk has been caning this one all summer. No wonder, the break is incredible. In fact, when he dropped it at Tomorrowland (as seen at 45:47 in the video below) is when I turned around to my missus and burst into tears :rofl:

Edited by trotter

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff

• Irufushi

• Space Mackerel

• trotter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, trotter said:

A certain Mr van Dyk has been caning this one all summer. No wonder, the break is incredible. In fact, when he dropped it at Tomorrowland (as seen at 45:47 in the video below) is when I turned around to my missus and burst into tears :rofl:

Sober I assume? :d

Interesting Marco V more into the trance side of things nowadays. Absolutely loved his combi nations compilations around 10-15 years ago . Legend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
55 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Best of the bunch 👍👍

Brilliant ain't it? Need to go see them again when things reopen been far too long.

Mars plastic
On 17/05/2020 at 11:42, Jeff said:

Kearney should be hung up by the nuts for ruining that classic. Utter shite.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m a massive music fan and listen to most things but embarrassingly I’m not particularly sure what trance is! 

BION, Wikipedia isn't a bad place to start for a description.  Like a lot of other genres of music, the boundaries are a bit blurred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

BION, Wikipedia isn't a bad place to start for a description.  Like a lot of other genres of music, the boundaries are a bit blurred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

I find trance really weird, it's like they do the same trick in every single song and people are thrilled every time.

Maybe just the wrong drugs.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I find trance really weird, it's like they do the same trick in every single song and people are thrilled every time.

It's just one of those things.  It makes sense if you're into it, but it just doesn't if you're not.  I find a lot of the music full of variety and nuance, but most people I know wouldn't give it the time of day.  The same thing could be said for a lot of music genres, TBH.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's just one of those things.  It makes sense if you're into it, but it just doesn't if you're not.  I find a lot of the music full of variety and nuance, but most people I know wouldn't give it the time of day.  The same thing could be said for a lot of music genres, TBH.

Well this is true, I'm a big thrash metal fan and where I can hear a world of differences between tracks it all sounds the same to the uninitiated

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well this is true, I'm a big thrash metal fan and where I can hear a world of differences between tracks it all sounds the same to the uninitiated

That's my excuse for not listening to metal. :laugh:

On 25/06/2021 at 04:00, Smithee said:

I remember reading an article in Mixmag I think quite a few years ago, where they were interviewing some music historian professor type who said that if you break it down structure wise (no pun intended), the genre trance has most in common with is classical music. They contain all the same segments (long intro/outro, huge builds using multiple sounds/instruments, extended breakdowns and multiple big 'drops'), and people who like one invariably tend to like the other. Probably also explains why there is so many orchestral versions of trance tracks and vice versa. 

Edited by trotter

Unknown user
21 hours ago, trotter said:

I remember reading an article in Mixmag I think quite a few years ago, where they were interviewing some music historian professor type who said that if you break it down structure wise (no pun intended), the genre trance has most in common with is classical music. They contain all the same segments (long intro/outro, huge builds using multiple sounds/instruments, extended breakdowns and multiple big 'drops'), and people who like one invariably tend to like the other. Probably also explains why there is so many orchestral versions of trance tracks and vice versa. 

I'd like to think I've experienced a bit of music, I've played in brass bands, wind ensembles, orchestras, rock bands. I get what he's saying but I don't really agree, thrash and prog rock are much more closely related that way IMO.

Compared to other genres of electronic music I'd probably agree though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 08:54, Smithee said:

I'd like to think I've experienced a bit of music, I've played in brass bands, wind ensembles, orchestras, rock bands. I get what he's saying but I don't really agree, thrash and prog rock are much more closely related that way IMO.

Compared to other genres of electronic music I'd probably agree though.

About 12 years ago Paul Van Dyk did a concert with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra.  I could see the point, though I think other people liked it more than I did.

More recently, last weekend as part of the annual Audi summer concerts, there was a livestream of a classical concert performed by the Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia-Roma, followed by a one-hour stream by Paul Van Dyk.  I thought both were fine, but I've watched lots of better streams by PvD, and I didn't really see a connection between the two gigs.  As you'd expect, the whole thing had quite a corporate feel to it.

Missed the convo above but heres a fine example

Megan Markle before she was famous too.... what a doppelganger!