What is the rule on celebrations?

:shitwine:

Take the rough with the smooth, I'm all for goal celebrations it part of the game, as long as they are not offensive or racial etc the thumb can celebrate how he wants imo... If I scored a winner for us against Celtic or hibs or anyone for that matter my tap would be aff doing the Beattie...

Take it on the chin and move on...

For which he was booked. I'm not precious at all and, having abused the Thumb for the whole game he's entitled to GIRUY to me but he should be booked for it. I can f'n guarantee you that Paterson would have been if he'd done the same.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diadora Van Basten

I would imagine the rule is unsportsmanlike behaviour and should most definitely have been applied to that tube.

Thunderstruck

Agree entirely. Hate to go too far back in history but in the 05/06 season, McManus scored at Tynie and nearly ended up on the concourse in the away end. When Saint Rudi scored against them earlier in the season, he got booked for having a toenail over the touch line. Neither should've been booked but the inconsistent application is baffling.

McManus was already booked when that happened and by the rules then in force (and liberally applied when Rudi scored) he should have been sent off. He would not then have been on for their winner.

As said before it is the inconsistant decisons that annoy me.

The amount of abuse Griffiths gets I have no issue with him trying to wind us up but they have to decide if it is a booking all the time or never.

Still can't believe Robinson was booked for "celebrating" vs Ross County.

Absolute :cornette: moment.

glastonbury jambo

the 'thumb' is very much haunted by that famous day in may....in many years from now when 'thumb' is an old 'thumb' the only thing that he will remeber about his career is 5-1,

he will be haunted by it forever as will the rest of the clowns who played that day, so its cool ...he scored a goal......but 5-1 ya bass yeeeee haaaaa

Frank Sidebottom

Celebrations such as that can cause disorder in the stands. The whole point of the rule is to prevent unnecessary provocation. Griffiths celebration was the direct cause of the two arrests I saw in section G following the goal.

There is no excuse for fans losing control in those situations but it's easier said than done in the heat of the moment.

No excuse for the referee not to book Griffiths today. He was standing watching him doing it.

alwaysthereinspirit

Think the rules are determined by which team shirt you wear. At least in the backwater that is Scottish football. No consistency as per.

i wish jj was my dad

Sums up my feelings exactly. As much as I hated it, as an isolated incident, I think the Thumb was entitled to celebrate as he did without being booked, however, how can anyone possibly claim that the referee followed the rules given Stevos booking at Easter Road. It beggars belief. There is absolutely no implication in my mind that there is some sort of anti-Hearts conspiracy (but there is most definitely a pro-Celtic attitude in instances such as this). I found the Brown one in the cup even more staggering to be honest and it leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. Someone should be sending video evidence of the inconsistencies relating to this and also the vast array of ridiculous penalties we have conceded where identical incidents went unpunished for opponents to the powers that be asking for comment. Again, I am in no way crying conspiracy, but referees should be accountable and should be putting their hands up when they have made a mess of things or otherwise explaining these unfathomable, repeated mistakes. It's the only way it will improve rather just sweeping it under the carpet and ignoring the gross incompetence.

I agree with you to a point. It's not a conspiracy against us but it's not incompetence or mistakes IMO. The game is bent in favour of the two ugly sisters.

And if you think it's bad now just wait and see what happens if we have audacity to challenge Der Hun next season.

the same ref booked robinson at dingwall for celebrating in front if his own fans

I didn't realise it was the same ref - that's ******* appalling.

Robinson didn't really do anything, and if anything, the other players did the celebrating.

Is the picture of the hearts fan over the advertising boards on the track side confronting the thumb photo shop or did we again see this type of stuff at tynie!? Fine heading our way if not photo shopped!

As has been said, the refs need to sit down and decide what is a booking and what isn't. And then apply it as fair as possible.

I don't believe for a second that Gollum though Stevos was worse than Browns.

However Celtix player(s) have been booked for it before, Commons received his second yellow for celebrating in the Neil Lennon attack game.

john brownlee

dosen't bother me it the least but it dose show how much it hurts him.............we'll get him back........maybe in another cup final that he won't score

I thought his celebration was an absolute joke, to be honest. celtic players can do whatever they like with absolutely nothing to answer for at all. Brown's celebration in the Cup win was bad enough but this was about 1000 times worse.

As others have posted I understand why he celebrated in that way but the lack of consistency is so annoying and frustrating. I also saw someone getting arrested as a direct result of his celebration - if the rules on bookings for celebrations dont cover doing something that results in the opposing fans being so irate that they are arrested then what the hell does? What would Griffiths have to have done whilst celebrating to get booked?

For me, football is a competitive sport first, rather than entertainment.

Competitions require rules. Rules should be consistently applied. The fact that they are apparently not is what gets my goat.

The competition is in the playing, since I'm not playing just watching, it's entertainment, there is nothing I can do to influence that competition.

You might find that "in the opinion of the referee" the laws are consistently applied. Incidentally football does not have rules it has Laws, law enforcement is a judgement, the sole judge on the field of play is the ref.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

No excuse for the referee not to book Griffiths today. He was standing watching him doing it.

Not only was he watching him, he followed him over to Section G, then again followed him over to N, then again to the dugout. How on earth does he not book him after all that?!

Is the picture of the hearts fan over the advertising boards on the track side confronting the thumb photo shop or did we again see this type of stuff at tynie!? Fine heading our way if not photo shopped!

It wasn't photoshopped, genuine pic. I believe he jumped the barrier and got trackside before coming to his senses. Heat of the moment

Griffiths hates Celtic fans that was plain to see. He scored a goal at the end of the ground they were in but he ignored them to run to the Hearts fans.

Not only was he watching him, he followed him over to Section G, then again followed him over to N, then again to the dugout. How on earth does he not book him after all that?!

Absolutely incredible. I guess he never ever ever books players who celebrate goals... Or if they are backed by lennon then they are a little untouchable...

Guest C00l K1d

Griffiths hates Celtic fans that was plain to see. He scored a goal at the end of the ground they were in but he ignored them to run to the Hearts fans.

Imagine being a hearts or hibs fan playing for them, or any team tbf.

They could be paying my wages but the thought of celebrating with tics makes my skin crawl.

Thought the ref was poor today but not bothered other than in terms of consistency whether the thumb got booked or not. What did strike me though was that I don't think smeltc gave away a single foul without whining and firming at the ref who said hee haw to them about it! Also brown should have been booked for diving in the second half when he took a tumble after losing control of the ball and toe ending it out for a bye kick

To a man the Main Stand stood up and sang "We only won 5-1" as the Thumb departed whilst giving the fans a wind up. Lets see some retrospective yellow issued by the SFA, doubt it though.

I would prefer if the players were allowed to celebrate as they please. With the only exception being that if you make contact with the crowd you get booked on grounds of public safety. If fans can't take a bit of banter as well as giving it they should take up knitting instead.

I found the Griffiths celebrations amusing he's still hurting from that glorious day and anyway the Hearts fans had the last word 5-1 we only won 5-1.

Celebration, yes. Blatent incitement, no. Hope the boys that got huckled by the cops just got chucked out because given what the tramps were doing throughout the game deserved a mass arrest. Does it ever happen? Does it feck.

Just another example of refs having no baws. They are either corrupt, favour the Old Firm themselves, or are just too damn scared to book them - maybe due to their own superiors orders not to. I'm not going OTT and I'm not a conspiracy theorist - also I don't really give a toss what thumb did today. What gets me is that this has happened for years and years. And it is obvious. Just makes a mockery of the game. It's boring to see it now, rather than frustrating.

Been a few players recently at Tynecastle, who having scored at school end , ignore their own fans and run towards us, strange.

You play for Celtic you're welcome to do as you please. See Brown in the cup game as an example.

Though Stokes was booked for going "sssshhh" to the Wheatfield stand in the 3-1, and by the same ref in your example.

The competition is in the playing, since I'm not playing just watching, it's entertainment, there is nothing I can do to influence that competition.

You might find that "in the opinion of the referee" the laws are consistently applied. Incidentally football does not have rules it has Laws, law enforcement is a judgement, the sole judge on the field of play is the ref.

First point. Fair enough if you consider watching Hearts a form of entertainment. For me, it is a competition. I am a part owner of the club, and the club is competing in the league.

Second point. Yes, you are correct, the SFA has laws. I have no idea how you could possibly have known what I meant when I referred to "rules". Well done for correctly interpreting.

I think you might find that during his celebration, Griffiths committed at least one offence which, under the stated Laws, was punishable by caution, and there was really no room for ambiguous interpretation by the ref. Unless, of course, he had actually received permission to leave the pitch.

Private Womble

Did anyone see the big guy get chuckled out Wheatfield at half time? The stewards almost took me down the stairs with him

Sums up my feelings exactly. As much as I hated it, as an isolated incident, I think the Thumb was entitled to celebrate as he did without being booked, however, how can anyone possibly claim that the referee followed the rules given Stevos booking at Easter Road. It beggars belief. There is absolutely no implication in my mind that there is some sort of anti-Hearts conspiracy (but there is most definitely a pro-Celtic attitude in instances such as this). I found the Brown one in the cup even more staggering to be honest and it leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. Someone should be sending video evidence of the inconsistencies relating to this and also the vast array of ridiculous penalties we have conceded where identical incidents went unpunished for opponents to the powers that be asking for comment. Again, I am in no way crying conspiracy, but referees should be accountable and should be putting their hands up when they have made a mess of things or otherwise explaining these unfathomable, repeated mistakes. It's the only way it will improve rather just sweeping it under the carpet and ignoring the gross incompetence.

Here is an extract from the FIFA rules which might make things clearer or then again it might not.

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been

scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed

celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting

and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

? in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative,

derisory or infl ammatory

? he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

? he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

? he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the fi eld of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself

but it is essential that players return to the fi eld of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common

sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

Showing dissent by word or action

A player who is guilty of dissent by protesting (verbally or non-verbally) against

a referee?s decision must be cautioned.

The captain of a team has no special status or privileges under the Laws of the

Game but he has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of his team.

Private Womble

We slaughter the guy beyond belief and when he gets a revenge, we go all sensitive.

Grow up.

:spoton:

rodneytrotter

Is a disgrace that he never got booked, I was shocked he got away with that, obviously still hurting from 5-1, what a shame...

HillmanHearts

We have hurt him deeply.

That's nice to know.

TBF he's got a terrific left peg - Not as good as Rudi's tho !

As much as the book should have been out for him today (and Brown in the cup tie), I'm not going to complain about today.

He gets plenty stick and gives it back when given the chance.

Simple as that.

We slaughter the guy beyond belief and when he gets a revenge, we go all sensitive.

Grow up.

Unless you're talking about the ref, you appear to have missed the point. If you're talking about the ref then...what?

I've no issue with griffiths giving us some stick, he's a cracking player and, on the pitch, seems a really decent guy. The problem is by any standard of refereeing what he did was a booking.

Captain Bubblebeard

Here is an extract from the FIFA rules which might make things clearer or then again it might not.

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been

scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed

celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting

and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

? in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative,

derisory or infl ammatory

? he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

? he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

? he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the fi eld of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself

but it is essential that players return to the fi eld of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common

sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

Showing dissent by word or action

A player who is guilty of dissent by protesting (verbally or non-verbally) against

a referee?s decision must be cautioned.

The captain of a team has no special status or privileges under the Laws of the

Game but he has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of his team.

Ok. So why were Stevo and Robinson booked when griffiths and brown were not? That is the whole point. Not that griffiths did not get booked for the isolated incident today - my personal opinion is that, as sore as it was to witness, a guy that has taken the stick that he has off the hearts fans in his career should be perfectly entitled to react in the, principally good-natured ribbing way that he did today - if you can dish it out as fans, you have to be able to take it back imo. But instead, my gripe is that the rule is very clearly not equally applied and I, for one, would like to see the powers that be squirm as they try to explain that away rather than accept it as the gross incompetence/inconsistency that it is. Quite a lot of folk on this thread seem to miss the distinction between this opinion and the opinion that players shouldn't be allowed to celebrate, which baffles me. It is perfectly simple (nb: comment not aimed at wavydavy who I believe was just doing his best to explain the inexplicable)....

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Grow up.

You have completely missed the point of the thread. I've yet to read anyone say they're upset or offended by his celebration, folk are pissed off at the inconsistency which sees some players (eg Ryan Stevenson) booked & some players (eg Griffiths) not booked.

The day that these opposition players stop doing what Brown did in the cup game, and what Griffiths did today, is the day we(club and fans) are doing something wrong. :)

Captain Bubblebeard

You have completely missed the point of the thread. I've yet to read anyone say they're upset or offended by his celebration, folk are pissed off at the inconsistency which sees some players (eg Ryan Stevenson) booked & some players (eg Griffiths) not booked.

Bingo

The Old Tolbooth

Pinnila's booking at Pittodrie was probably the worst I've ever seen! He'd just scored, slumped to his knees, and was booked for celebrating.................IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FECKIN PITCH!!!!

You couldn't make it up when you consider what these septic ****s get away with ffs!

Unless you're talking about the ref, you appear to have missed the point. If you're talking about the ref then...what?

I've no issue with griffiths giving us some stick, he's a cracking player and, on the pitch, seems a really decent guy. The problem is by any standard of refereeing what he did was a booking.

Thread title "what is the rule on celebrations"

Post#85 covers it

Most of the thread is Petty Thumb hate.

Was his celebraration excessive? Yes.

Did it justify Hearts fans being arrested? Hardly

Are referees inconsistent? Yes

Are we over-reacting? Big time

Captain Bubblebeard

Thread title "what is the rule on celebrations"

Post#85 covers it

Most of the thread is Petty Thumb hate.

Was his celebraration excessive? Yes.

Did it justify Hearts fans being arrested? Hardly

Are referees inconsistent? Yes

Are we over-reacting? Big time

I disagree with your last point. Folk want consistency. Asking for that or otherwise asking for an explanation of the apparent (repeated) lack of it is not an over-reaction. Accepting it without question/debate will just ensure that it happens again in the next game. We didn't deserve anything from the game today, nor from many of the other games this season where we have been been on the receiving end of poor decisions. However, it would be nice to come away from those games just analysing where the team had gone wrong rather than constantly having a very justified debate about where the hell the ref has pulled this weeks nonsensical decision from.

First point. Fair enough if you consider watching Hearts a form of entertainment. For me, it is a competition. I am a part owner of the club, and the club is competing in the league.

Second point. Yes, you are correct, the SFA has laws. I have no idea how you could possibly have known what I meant when I referred to "rules". Well done for correctly interpreting.

I think you might find that during his celebration, Griffiths committed at least one offence which, under the stated Laws, was punishable by caution, and there was really no room for ambiguous interpretation by the ref. Unless, of course, he had actually received permission to leave the pitch.

Well I guess i might be a part owner too......but I suspect your influence on the competition is equal to mine = 0.

you are right I have no idea .....

I'm not sure he actually did leave the pitch, but if he did it was hardly by much, and under such interpretation you might have to book every player who leaves the pitch for what ever reason, going beyond the line to run around to win a ball, to take a corner or throw in, or what about if they decide to leave the ball after picking it up, or going to recover the ball, the goalie going into net after a goal to get the ball....and more,but there is only judge.

Ref's have a tough job, today if he's gone "strict" we'd have been the losers.

Archived