What is the rule on celebrations?

:shitwine:

An absolutely staggering decision from the referee not to even talk to Griffiths after his celebration. The slide towards the Wheatfield Stand was bad enough, but the GIRFUY gestures towards the main stand, before then hugging Lennon as a poor cover story, was ridiculous.

I'd say it merited a booking more than Stevenson cupping his ear on the halfway line at Easter Road or Robinson barely celebrating at Dingwall, but that's just me.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah not booking him for that makes a bit of a (or yet another) mockery of Stevenson's booking. Same with Brown in the cup tie.

Rules don't apply to Celtic players, that has been obvious for many years

Alan Anderson said that back in the 1970's

Compare thumbs celebration to Stevensons at Easter rd

all we ask is fairness and consistency

What irritates me is that some joyless prick at FIFA has decided celebrating with your own fans (I.e. Contact with the crowd) or taking your top off is a bookable 'offence' - but intentionally provoking opposition fans is punished inconsistently.

I prefer that they don't book players for celebrating tbh, but it needs to be consistent.

Aye, agree with this. I said it after Brown's celebration in the cup tie that I don't mind him not being booked for it, but then why was Stevenson booked? It was the same ref too :lol:

I prefer that they don't book players for celebrating tbh, but it needs to be consistent.

I agree with this. I really couldn't care what players do to celebrate, i don't think it should result in a booking - if they do something illegal, simply get the police to lift them on the spot.

However, rules are in place, but the inconsistency in application is absolutely staggering.

If it was a Hearts player they'd have been booked. I'd rather neither were though. Fans are "soft" these days, if you abuse someone for 90 minutes you have no right to get offended when the player celebrates a goal against you.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

I don't know if I've ever seen a Celtic player booked for celebrating a goal against us, As others have said I'd prefer players not to be booked for celebrating but there is no consistency

Griffiths practically did a lap of honour and bugger all.

Guest C00l K1d

Id be doing the same if i scored against hibs tbf.

And he'll just do it again knowing he can get a rise if he ever scores against us again

And he'll just do it again knowing he can get a rise if he ever scores against us again

I would too, probably, but I'd expect a yellow card :lol:

How many times did he actually play in a Hibs team that beat us?

It is pleasing to know he hates us so much that his first thought when scoring his first goal for a huge club like Celtic, is not to celebrate with their manky fans, but instead to try and noise ours up.

I'd definitely get booked for celebrating if I scored against Hibs.

I'd be sent off, arrested on the spot and placed on the sex offenders register - it'd be worth it though.

I'd be sent off, arrested on the spot and placed on the sex offenders register - it'd be worth it though.

:lol: Was going to say, I'd actually be disappointed if I only got a booking for what I'd have to do.

How many times did he actually play in a Hibs team that beat us?

It is pleasing to know he hates us so much that his first thought when scoring his first goal for a huge club like Celtic, is not to celebrate with their manky fans, but instead to try and noise ours up.

He's still hurting! Really don't understand why hearts fans got so riled though. He really doesn't bother me and he just has banter with the crowd kissing his thumbs.

No consistency with the non booking though, although I would prefer if players didn't get book for celebrating! Fans need to grow a set!

He's still hurting! Really don't understand why hearts fans got so riled though. He really doesn't bother me and he just has banter with the crowd kissing his thumbs.

No consistency with the non booking though, although I would prefer if players didn't get book for celebrating! Fans need to grow a set!

Agree. I'm certainly not one to get outraged about opposition celebrations.

Captain Bubblebeard

Aye, agree with this. I said it after Brown's celebration in the cup tie that I don't mind him not being booked for it, but then why was Stevenson booked? It was the same ref too :lol:

I agree with this. I really couldn't care what players do to celebrate, i don't think it should result in a booking - if they do something illegal, simply get the police to lift them on the spot.

However, rules are in place, but the inconsistency in application is absolutely staggering.

Sums up my feelings exactly. As much as I hated it, as an isolated incident, I think the Thumb was entitled to celebrate as he did without being booked, however, how can anyone possibly claim that the referee followed the rules given Stevos booking at Easter Road. It beggars belief. There is absolutely no implication in my mind that there is some sort of anti-Hearts conspiracy (but there is most definitely a pro-Celtic attitude in instances such as this). I found the Brown one in the cup even more staggering to be honest and it leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. Someone should be sending video evidence of the inconsistencies relating to this and also the vast array of ridiculous penalties we have conceded where identical incidents went unpunished for opponents to the powers that be asking for comment. Again, I am in no way crying conspiracy, but referees should be accountable and should be putting their hands up when they have made a mess of things or otherwise explaining these unfathomable, repeated mistakes. It's the only way it will improve rather just sweeping it under the carpet and ignoring the gross incompetence.

He should've been booked, especially as we have had bookings for much less.

But if I'd scored today I would've been on an Adebayor style run from one end to the other to get it up they terrorist loving peasants.

100% agree.

If it was a Hearts player they'd have been booked. I'd rather neither were though. Fans are "soft" these days, if you abuse someone for 90 minutes you have no right to get offended when the player celebrates a goal against you.

Agree. I'm certainly not one to get outraged about opposition celebrations.

Sums up my feelings exactly. As much as I hated it, as an isolated incident, I think the Thumb was entitled to celebrate as he did without being booked, however, how can anyone possibly claim that the referee followed the rules given Stevos booking at Easter Road. It beggars belief. There is absolutely no implication in my mind that there is some sort of anti-Hearts conspiracy (but there is most definitely a pro-Celtic attitude in instances such as this). I found the Brown one in the cup even more staggering to be honest and it leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. Someone should be sending video evidence of the inconsistencies relating to this and also the vast array of ridiculous penalties we have conceded where identical incidents went unpunished for opponents to the powers that be asking for comment. Again, I am in no way crying conspiracy, but referees should be accountable and should be putting their hands up when they have made a mess of things or otherwise explaining these unfathomable, repeated mistakes. It's the only way it will improve rather just sweeping it under the carpet and ignoring the gross incompetence.

I was quite amused by his celebration, good on him, ref made right decision not to book him, that's entertainment.

I don't know if I've ever seen a Celtic player booked for celebrating a goal against us, As others have said I'd prefer players not to be booked for celebrating but there is no consistency

Griffiths practically did a lap of honour and bugger all.

Agree entirely. Hate to go too far back in history but in the 05/06 season, McManus scored at Tynie and nearly ended up on the concourse in the away end. When Saint Rudi scored against them earlier in the season, he got booked for having a toenail over the touch line. Neither should've been booked but the inconsistent application is baffling.

I was quite amused by his celebration, good on him, ref made right decision not to book him, that's entertainment.

For me, football is a competitive sport first, rather than entertainment.

Competitions require rules. Rules should be consistently applied. The fact that they are apparently not is what gets my goat.

Agree entirely. Hate to go too far back in history but in the 05/06 season, McManus scored at Tynie and nearly ended up on the concourse in the away end. When Saint Rudi scored against them earlier in the season, he got booked for having a toenail over the touch line. Neither should've been booked but the inconsistent application is baffling.

Old firm are favoured by Refs end of.

I agree with all that apart from one part, the referee made the wrong decision not to book him.

It's the inconsistency that's the problem! That I'm afraid is a microcosm for the way games here are refereed. I though the referee today was very, very inconsistent and the Wheatfield side assistant was a complete joke.

I wanted him booked - not because i agree with the ridiculous rule but because we have had many players booked for the same. I want consistency, if standing in the middle of the park cupping your ear or running to your own fans after a last minute equaliser deserves a yellow card then sliding and gesturing you the opposition supporters certainly should be.

then his yellow would have been a 2nd and celtic down to 10 - could have changed the game!

dunciboyjambo

Take the rough with the smooth, I'm all for goal celebrations it part of the game, as long as they are not offensive or racial etc the thumb can celebrate how he wants imo... If I scored a winner for us against Celtic or hibs or anyone for that matter my tap would be aff doing the Beattie...

Take it on the chin and move on...

I think most of us would agree that celebrating should not be a booking, and its the inconsistency that pisses us off.

Exactly mate.

The 1 rule for them and 1 for us is baffling.

Take the rough with the smooth, I'm all for goal celebrations it part of the game, as long as they are not offensive or racial etc the thumb can celebrate how he wants imo... If I scored a winner for us against Celtic or hibs or anyone for that matter my tap would be aff doing the Beattie...

And you would have been booked for it, like Beattie was and like Griffiths should have been.

Total feckin p1sh.

The inconsistency is the issue. If you did the Beattie, you would be booked. Fair enough, thems the rules, even though most of us disagree with that. Thumb should've been booked as you can guarantee a hearts player would've been

Griffiths celebration was all about 5-1. It's always about 5-1. As it should be, as it always will be.

This poster gets it.

Refs are inconsistent nobheads..today's, with the help of the main stand lino, was no different.

Celtic have won the league..hearts are deliberately relegated, we still toil away with the laddies and 3 seniors..quite why a fourth dimension of rank officialdom this season is still required puzzles me...are people THAT nervous of us still?

Anyway, back on topic, thumb did what he did because of 5-1 and his overall hibernian frustrations when playing us.

For that reason, I found it mildly amusing and as another poster has said, I didn't get the vitriol from the stands.

Thumb is an absolute irrelevance to me.

Hibs fans must be surely hurting he's plying his trade for Celtic who, not so long ago, claimed he wasn't of Celtic standard?!

And hibs had the opportunity to buy him for how much again? He he...thanks for that Rod.

Seriously..... after the amount of abuse dished out to him some folk getting all precious at him celebrating right in front of Hearts fans.

He's a hibee.....of course he's gonna stick it to us. Some folk really need to grow a backbone.... although I do agree there is inconsistentency from refs with this.

I'm much more angry at Hamill shipping an easy second goal for them lot.

It's always been one rule for Celtic and another for the rest.

Particular bugbear of mine was bookings for leaving the pitch during 2005/6 campaign the refs booked Rudi every time. Yet when McManus done it at tynecastle he was not booked and was allowed to stay on the park to score the winner.

You have missed the point

I think he did it out of sheer frustration as he does get a lot of abuse from the Hearts support and having a close resemblance to a thumb cannot help matters. Good to see him get wound up by the 5-1 chant when he went off though. What annoyed me most today was the piss poor performance by the ref. It is staggering that our players were getting booked for nothing yet the Sellick players were getting away with worse. Bloody frustrating.

It's always been one rule for Celtic and another for the rest.

Particular bugbear of mine was bookings for leaving the pitch during 2005/6 campaign the refs booked Rudi every time. Yet when McManus done it at tynecastle he was not booked and was allowed to stay on the park to score the winner.

No non booking will ever grate me more

He was on a yellow and jumped into the fecking crowd

Had the rules been applied he wouldn't have been on to score the winner

i agree players shouldn't be booked for celebrating but in this case for me the thumb totally over stepped the mark ..... how many hearts and celtic fans got arrested because of his behaviour ??? the behaviour that he showed is exactly why we have stupid rules about celebrating in our game because that is exactly what they are trying to stop !! still no booking though and the ref was right there didn't even speak to him , saying that for me that was the most inconsistent ref i've seen at tynie all season so i'm not surprised one bit .... still thought the players did well though and didn't allow themselves to be bullied by a bigger celtic team and a dodgy ref

This poster gets it.

Refs are inconsistent nobheads..today's, with the help of the main stand lino, was no different.

Celtic have won the league..hearts are deliberately relegated, we still toil away with the laddies and 3 seniors..quite why a fourth dimension of rank officialdom this season is still required puzzles me...are people THAT nervous of us still?

Anyway, back on topic, thumb did what he did because of 5-1 and his overall hibernian frustrations when playing us.

For that reason, I found it mildly amusing and as another poster has said, I didn't get the vitriol from the stands.

Thumb is an absolute irrelevance to me.

Hibs fans must be surely hurting he's plying his trade for Celtic who, not so long ago, claimed he wasn't of Celtic standard?!

And hibs had the opportunity to buy him for how much again? He he...thanks for that Rod.

Ah, but he should have been booked. I do not understand the referee Clancy not booking him. Wouldn't it be great to hear an explanation? Where could you go with that? No wonder they are 'protected' from speaking. He has to be classed as 'weak'.

Archived