Chinese restaurant recommendations

Sten Guns

Following on from the buffet thread.

What's your favourite Chinese restaurant?

Think I could count on one hand how many times I've been to one.

Rather go for Italian of Indian or just a decent restaurant.

So, do very good Chinese restaurants exist?!

feedtheroman2

I can recommend three very good Chinese restaurants in Edinburgh (each have their own plus points).

1. Karen Wong's (300 yards up from the Pleasance) is somewhere you won't forget for a while! Karen goes out her way to chat with her guests, serve up good homemade food and put a smile on everyone's faces! Not too expensive either, but definetely top service.

2. Ping On (Stockbridge) is another really good family-owned restaurant. The restaurant itself is quite small, but attentive. I would argue that the food there is more expensive and a little bit better quality, but it totally fails on service IMO. Still, we go there fairly often.

3. Cool Jade (opposite the Zoo) probably the most upmarket of the three, it's also the most expensive. However, it's a nice, clean and open plan restaurant that serves excellent food in a pleasant atmosphere.

Out of the three, I am inclined to go for Karen Wong's due to the excellent service and banter. The food is pretty damn good too considering!

the sub goalie

Heard good things about Cool Jade but as yet have not tried it,

I believe they are the same owners as the Manor House is Corstorphine, it is always busy but when I was there although the food was good I wasnt overly impressed by the service and have not returned since.

Taste Good in Slateford has always been good when I have had a meal there, especially the ribs, best I have tasted.

Lee-On at Tolcross is decent and very reasonable for the food/portion sizes - looks like a place from the 1970's like but dont let that put you off.

That's the only place I have been to recently so could not comment others. Although seems to be a few Chinese style eateries opened up that look interesting - thinking of the one at Dundee Street & One on Slateford Road few doors down from Taste Good on the corner....

loveofthegame

Cool Jade is the best Chinese I've ever been too. I didn't used to rate Chinese food, but I love this place. A regular Sunday night takeaway haunt (I'd not you have to collect it, no delivery).

As a sit in restaurant it is great too though.

RustyRightPeg

Chinese at Longstone, just next to the new Sainsbury's, cant remember its name off the top of my head at the moment. Very very good. Great service, reasonably priced, menu has a big selection. Even has a little supermarket where you can buy imported Chinese food downstairs from it.

China Town at Shandwick ... lovely food or Chop Chop if feeling adventurous

Should read 'Chop Chop if you want Chinese rather than Cantonese cuisine'

Say What Again

Another vote for Karen Wong's, but I've had great meals at both B&D's Kitchen and Wok & Wine, and a very decent build-your-own meal in Little Panda in Ocean Terminal.

Coo Jade is my favourite. Ping on is also very nice. Chinese Manor house isn't as good as it used to be, IMO.

Coo Jade is my favourite.

Great roast pigeon in black bean sauce!

Is that not the lady who used to have the Manor House, then sold it and had to wait a certain period if time before she opened somewhere else?

I like Chinese food but only tend to get takeaways - not really the sort of food I'd go to a restaurant for. The Ping On and Jasmine are both good though and Ive heard Karen's Unicorn is good too. I did like Chop Chop until someone I was with saw a mouse running round the last time I was in!

fabienleclerq

What's the Chinese opposite fountain park? Walked past a few times and it seemed rammed with Chinese folk which is usually a good indicator of good foid!

Loon Fung at Canonmills is ace!

Husref snr fitted the kitchen there some years ago. Did such a good job for a fair price and got on well with the dude that he was told that any time he came back food was free. My dad didn't think anything of it but stopped in for food once and money wasn't accepted. My dad was embarrassed as he didn't want to seem a freeloader that we never went back.

:(

Oh, and last time I went to Ping On I felt it had went downhill.

Kwei Lin and Chop Chop for me. Always wanted to try the one at Shandon that appears to be Chinese patrons only. Get the feeling you will get some real authentic food there.

Another vote for Karen's Unicorn. Little bit pricier than your standard chinese, but you can really taste the difference.

Cantonese style spare ribs and char sui bao are class starters

Beef in black bean sauce and king prawn satay are amazing mains

Even the soft noodles taste far better than anywhere else I have ever been in the uk!

Some great names there. The Kweilin, Ping On and the Loon Fung have been around for about 30+ years haven't they?

I used to love going to the Unicorn on St Stephens Street when I lived there (don't think it was Karen's back then).

I work in China a lot, and have become a bit of a snob about Chinese food, so when I was back in Edinburgh a couple of years ago I went to the Loon Fung, but the food was shitey and flavourless. A couple of nights later. our friends got a take away from somewhere in D Mains and the food was honestly better than the Loon Fung.

I don't really know much about Chinese food. The Cantonese/ Hong Kong stuff we mostly eat here is okay I suppose. But as our cuisine has changed over the years I find it difficult to get excited about sweet and sour pork.Dim sum though is ace, obviously not a main meal . Can't ever imagine being blown away by Chinese food again like I was when I was a kid and taken to family meals in some place in Lothian Road. The Great Wall maybe?

Oh, and last time I went to Ping On I felt it had went downhill.

Kwei Lin and Chop Chop for me. Always wanted to try the one at Shandon that appears to be Chinese patrons only. Get the feeling you will get some real authentic food there.

The growth in Chinese hot pot restaurants has been amazing. Never tried one, but saw it when I was in China.

The fact that loads of Chinese are eating at these establishments speaks volumes imo.

I don't really know much about Chinese food. The Cantonese/ Hong Kong stuff we mostly eat here is okay I suppose. But as our cuisine has changed over the years I find it difficult to get excited about sweet and sour pork.Dim sum though is ace, obviously not a main meal . Can't ever imagine being blown away by Chinese food again like I was when I was a kid and taken to family meals in some place in Lothian Road. The Great Wall maybe?

Get yourself to the supermarket and buy some frozen dumplings. Steam them from frozen and ready in 5 mins.

Epic.

Say What Again

The growth in Chinese hot pot restaurants has been amazing. Never tried one, but saw it when I was in China.

The fact that loads of Chinese are eating at these establishments speaks volumes imo.

There's one of those on London Road. I forget the name of it, but it's opposite The Artizan, next to where Sandy Gilchrist bike shop was.

It never seems to be that busy, but when there are people in it, the tend to be Chinese/Asian.

There are 2 chinese establishments just along from Fountain Park that have coach lods of chinese tourists being dropped off every couple of days

Always seems to Chinese natives or those with a chinese background who eat there...........Wing Sing I think is one of them... not your usual UK type of food and ceratainly aimed at the 'home market'.....pork lung, jellyfish for example but great food nevertheless.

Kweilin in Dundas Street, Ping On at Stockbridge and the Rendezvous at Queensferry Street are all good shouts.

I've been at the one at Tollcross and it was pretty good. Me and my mate were the only honkies in there. Our Chinese mate was with us and he thought it was good - it's what his family has on Christmas Day.

A friend went into the Rainbow arch with his Chinese girlfriend and he was given an English language menu and she was given a Chinese one. She compared them and they were very different with more authentic food on hers so she insisted he eat "real" Chinese food. He wasn't too keen on the chicken's feet though. I wonder how many other restaurants do this?

A friend went into the Rainbow arch with his Chinese girlfriend and he was given an English language menu and she was given a Chinese one. She compared them and they were very different with more authentic food on hers so she insisted he eat "real" Chinese food. He wasn't too keen on the chicken's feet though. I wonder how many other restaurants do this?

I think they get a lot of Chinese tourists there as you see buses picking up/dropping off outside. Just catering to different tastes I guess.

Completely agree mate. A friends parents has links to the trade here and I've been trying to get the down low on this. Keep trying to get a chum there so she can help with the order though. ;)

Great roast pigeon in black bean sauce!

Is that not the lady who used to have the Manor House, then sold it and had to wait a certain period if time before she opened somewhere else?

I like Chinese food but only tend to get takeaways - not really the sort of food I'd go to a restaurant for. The Ping On and Jasmine are both good though and Ive heard Karen's Unicorn is good too. I did like Chop Chop until someone I was with saw a mouse running round the last time I was in!

That's spot on about Cool Jade. Also explains why Manor House is still good, but not the same standard. The owner of Cool Jade lives in the building as well.

Had a terrible takeaway from Chop Chop and it was incredibly expensive. Felt it was living off the name a bit.

Got a takeaway from the Chinese Manor house on Monday and it didn't look right. Had dodgy guts through the night and into the next day. Don't think I will be going back there again as its not as good as it used to be.

Was at Lung Fung last month with my family for my brother's birthday and the food was excellent with very generous portions. Would definitely go back.

heartgarfunkel

'Karen's' at Meadowbank used to be good. She was totally mental though. There used to be a cracking one over the road and up a bit from Drouthy Neebors in the Southside - bring your own bevy.

Loon Wah next to the former Golden Gates boozer is still a great take-away. Mr So's at Piershill was also good and they didn't take umbrage at my ordering a home delivery then asking the driver for a lift home taxi technique.

Another vote for Cool Jade. However Loon Fung at Canonmills tops the lot, excellent Chinese that has been around for years.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

I'm under the impression that the owners of The Chinese Manor House sold up and then opened Cool Jade.

Archived