Ukio Bankas

Cigaro

super_vlad
Well Ukio Bankas do plan to open a branch in the city centre? They do already own a pretty expensive building.

Not all publicity is good. Ask Robert Mugabe, see what he'd tell you.

How many other afican leaders can you name ? ;)

When it comes to sponorships, then i'm afriad it is true, where as you don't want your brand to be asscoiated with under-hand people or bad corpations, or failing business, you need maxium expose for your brand. I've worked for marketing companies in the past and i would have expected a few big names to be asscoiated with hearts. You have to remember we are still one of the top 30 teams in britain. If i was looking at a deal with hearts then i would say the shirt rights would have to be atleast 1-1.5 million a year alone, that is going be current treads within the club. if you look back at the first year vlad was here and the approach that phil took in the first few months then it was more than a possiblity that we would have got a deal for 2 million atleast at the end of the season if we had carry on with Burley and Phil at the helm. we were the name on everyones lips here and even down south, we had done the hard part and major sponors should have being lining up to come on board.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to sponorships, then i'm afriad it is true, where as you don't want your brand to be asscoiated with under-hand people or bad corpations, or failing business, you need maxium expose for your brand. I've worked for marketing companies in the past and i would have expected a few big names to be asscoiated with hearts. You have to remember we are still one of the top 30 teams in britain. If i was looking at a deal with hearts then i would say the shirt rights would have to be atleast 1-1.5 million a year alone, that is going be current treads within the club. if you look back at the first year vlad was here and the approach that phil took in the first few months then it was more than a possiblity that we would have got a deal for 2 million atleast at the end of the season if we had carry on with Burley and Phil at the helm. we were the name on everyones lips here and even down south, we had done the hard part and major sponors should have being lining up to come on board.

After 10 minutes on Google, quite a few I bet.

That's me told. Any ideas why we've stuck with UB then?

super_vlad
After 10 minutes on Google, quite a few I bet.

That's me told. Any ideas why we've stuck with UB then?

Most sponorships deals will be worth atleast 3 years ! Also i'm sure pedro said something about the naming rights of the new stand tieing in with the shirt sponors. It could be that since we are no nearing having a new stand up and ready the sponors have said we will only offer you x amount over x years , which may be fair value right now but maybe it is undervaluing the deal in 2 years time. Once we are tied into the deal we would have had to buy the deal out, a bit like cleasea did a few years ago when they had to tear up a long term contract. With Ukio, it is still the same people calling the shorts so we can easily get rid of them.

Most sponorships deals will be worth atleast 3 years ! Also i'm sure pedro said something about the naming rights of the new stand tieing in with the shirt sponors. It could be that since we are no nearing having a new stand up and ready the sponors have said we will only offer you x amount over x years , which may be fair value right now but maybe it is undervaluing the deal in 2 years time. Once we are tied into the deal we would have had to buy the deal out, a bit like cleasea did a few years ago when they had to tear up a long term contract. With Ukio, it is still the same people calling the shorts so we can easily get rid of them.

Makes sense. Good to see some one with some subject knowledge rather than idle speculation. Thanks for that.

Having a job that deals with sponsorship opportunities I can tell you now that companies see such ventures as luxuries and a lot more than just brand awareness campaigns. Being in a city that has more sponsorship oppertubnities than most I would have been very surprised if a local business had came on board.

I had a conversation with my commercial director earlier and she explained an easy in would be targeting a company who had an FD who had a connection to hearts, a fan etc but due to the way Hearts have been treating fans this option would have been a non starter.

Hearts have only themselves to blame imo.

super_vlad
Having a job that deals with sponsorship opportunities I can tell you now that companies see such ventures as luxuries and a lot more than just brand awareness campaigns. Being in a city that has more sponsorship oppertubnities than most I would have been very surprised if a local business had came on board.

I had a conversation with my commercial director earlier and she explained an easy in would be targeting a company who had an FD who had a connection to hearts, a fan etc but due to the way Hearts have been treating fans this option would have been a non starter.

Hearts have only themselves to blame imo.

Pretty much spot on with hearts having themselves to blame on this mate. We just do not have the links to the ediburgh business community that we should have for our status. This is very much why Phil was brought in the first place as he was suppose to be in touch with the power brokers within Edinburgh. I clearly looking at things from the outset, but the fact that hearts will see thamselves as reaching a british audiences not just a scottish one, i'm very surprised that a est company or even a new company who wanted to make a intial splash within the market place was not able to make a deal with the hearts board.

Ukio pay ?850,000 a season or something, do they not?

That type of money would be spent by a nationally recognised brand who would get some kind of name recognition out of it in this country. It would need Hearts to be on TV in Lithuania every week to justify that kind of cost to a tiny bank in Lithuania.

?850,000 is a huge slice of UKIO bank profits and even if they did open here it would be disproportionate to the amount of business it would attract.

Is Vlad getting the Persil out again?

Seymour M Hersh

Surely it's more important who is inside the jersey rather than what name is on the front of it. Bothers me not one jot that Ukio are on the front again.

Cut The Crap
Surely it's more important who is inside the jersey rather than what name is on the front of it. Bothers me not one jot that Ukio are on the front again.

Our inability to attract inward investment has an effect on who is inside the jersey, surely?

Seriously are people genuinely shocked about this ? I thought this news would have been a certainty.

Ok, Just read through this thread, and I'm still trying to get my head round the stupidity of this one.

We hired an agency (Granada) to find us a sponsor for our shirts for the 2008/09 season.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1190209,00.html

And they managed to find us.......UKIO BANKAS again.

Money well spent then. Well done whoever made that call. :rofl:

Sorry, Robbo

You just hav'nt realised that this is part of the off field success that a lot of people have been trumpeting.

If that is the case how much have we paid 'consultants' for all the 'success'

The Scottish Cup isn't a club so how does it appear that big companies don't want to be associated with successful clubs?

And ours is a succesful club at the moment, with a ****ing madman as an owner and a minimee who is just about as barking?

Would you put up thousands to have your name associated with that?

in terms of brand recongnition Ukio has done extremely well wih their association with Hearts. No one had heard of ukio bankas before - now it is pretty much a household name in Scotland, even when they don't even trade here.

If ukio bankas are going to expand into the UK/scottish market then they have a big head start when it comes to the brand.

Ask any fan of any other club what ukio means? one in 50 will be able to tell you and even if they could the bank is based in Edinburgh so not much use in the likes of Glasgow or Aberdeen

walton1983
I dont see the issue with this.

Our owner is their owner, therefore we get the to sponsor us, no hassles.

Its a mutually beneficial deal.

We should stop fretting about external financial support, as we dont need it according the our owners.

Im happy if thats the case.

It might be more of a worry if we did NOT get Ukio, as this might indicate we are desperate for outside financial assistance.

Im not going to lose sleep over such a trivial issue.

Thanks for that Mr Romanov.

That type of money would be spent by a nationally recognised brand who would get some kind of name recognition out of it in this country. It would need Hearts to be on TV in Lithuania every week to justify that kind of cost to a tiny bank in Lithuania.

?850,000 is a huge slice of UKIO bank profits and even if they did open here it would be disproportionate to the amount of business it would attract.

Is Vlad getting the Persil out again?

They'll get back double in interest on the debt though. UKIO are just moving money.

A think a telling point will be next season's pitch side advertising. There's a lot of brands currently circling the pitch, if they pull out and are replaced with more local based advertising then I'd say that shows the lack of confidence of the advertisers with Hearts now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Was finding a shirt sponsor not one of the boxes Phil Anderton didn't "tick"? Three seasons later...

They'll get back double in interest on the debt though. UKIO are just moving money.

A think a telling point will be next season's pitch side advertising. There's a lot of brands currently circling the pitch, if they pull out and are replaced with more local based advertising then I'd say that shows the lack of confidence of the advertisers with Hearts now.

Ukio Bankas shareholders should be unhappy about the waste of money on Hearts. Not only do they have advertising with a football club - which will not help them in any way - but they give us below market rates on the borrowing we have with them. They do not get the sponsorship back in 'doubled interest rates' or anything like it - they make opportunity losses on the lending to Hearts!

Thats slightly different due to the level investment involved.

Has this been confirmed? If so I would agree with the following poster....

Probably. It'll be the ?400k listed as agency fees or such like in the accounts.

We couldn't find a sponsor. Simple as that.

Our sponsor a 'major international' bank that can't get a banking license in the UK after 2 1/2 years of trying. Quality.

The People's Chimp
Has this been confirmed? If so I would agree with the following poster....

It's in my earlier post. we couldn't find a sponsor who met the board's (independent) valuation. So we decided to go for Ukio rather than take on board a sponsor who was offering less than our market value.

It's in my earlier post. we couldn't find a sponsor who met the board's (independent) valuation. So we decided to go for Ukio rather than take on board a sponsor who was offering less than our market value.

I see it now, cheers...

My understanding is that the club received several offers, however they were not at the value the club had set; with hearts large fanbase, large resting or sleeping fanbase as well as one of the highest/the highest percentage of target ABC1s, history etc. The price/our sponsorship value was externally valued and the offers failed to match it. The offers were before the board and they decided to opt instead for Ukio.

In that case, say for arguments sake the value was ?1 Million, and say that S&N offered ?700,000, Fosters offered ?650,000 and Baltika offered ?600,000. Hearts said no as it failed to meet their value. If that were the case, did UKIO match the valuation and put ?1 Million in our coffers?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
If that were the case, did UKIO match the valuation and put ?1 Million in our coffers?

UBIG...:rofl:...money... :4_1_72:...our coffers.

Hilarious stuff.

UBIG...:rofl:...money... :4_1_72:...our coffers.

Hilarious stuff.

:sad:

I am finding it increasingly difficult to laugh bud.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
:sad:

I am finding it increasingly difficult to laugh bud.

Yeah, me too, but that was a beaut.

Yeah, me too, but that was a beaut.

It was a "for arguments sake" kinda thing. Mr Liquidator dude has some gen on this and I was looking for confirmation or, probably more importantly, proof that we were unable to sell advertising space despite hiring a top drawer advertising selling company. So shoosh and let him answer! :)

It might have been better for the club not to have made any announcement about the deal with Granada as it now, yet again, looks extremely foolish no matter what the reasons were behind the failure to close an attractive deal despite (no doubt) paying an agency through the nose.

Although I suppose back at the time when Kurskis was strutting his stuff in goal and we were on one of the worst runs in our history, any vaguely positive news might have seemed like a good idea to put out.

But in the end, the sponsorship search has yielded remarkably similar results to the search for the cream of Europe's CEOs, which, after great deliberation, brought us Rodney ****face.

Quite simply, if you dont have evidence for this, you cant make this assumption.

It seems highly possible, but its not fact.

Hi

Not wishing to be overly picky but there was suggestion on another thread recently by somebody or other that without assumption JKB wouldnt work properly....

:)

My understanding is that the club received several offers, however they were not at the value the club had set; with hearts large fanbase, large resting or sleeping fanbase as well as one of the highest/the highest percentage of target ABC1s, history etc. The price/our sponsorship value was externally valued and the offers failed to match it. The offers were before the board and they decided to opt instead for Ukio.

So presumably we are getting market value from UKIO

So it doesnt matter if its them

The important thing is market value

What did they pay us last year?

Our market value is what someone is willing to pay, not what what some dick (who probably also said we have 400,000 fans and made the calculation on that basis) comes up with on the back of a fag packet. The fact that we can't get a decent sponsor shows just how far we've fallen. It's embarrassing.

The Vlad apologists can dress it up anyway they like. The FACT that we could not find a new sponser speaks volumes of the perception of this Club at the moment!

Talk 107 just stated that they will be our sponsor again next season.

Glad to see the company we brought in to find us a sponsor has done such an excellent job.

Many companies - including the one I work for - make it a policy only to sponsor events rather than individuals or teams. That way they avoid their brand being at the mercy of the team/individuals fluctuating fortunes, or being associated with any unsavoury incidents perpetrated by the team/individuals.

With this in mind, it doesn't surprise me that Hearts has struggled to get an alternative sponsor.

Commander Harris
The Vlad apologists can dress it up anyway they like. The FACT that we could not find a new sponser speaks volumes of the perception of this Club at the moment!

is that a fact?

Commander Harris
Yes, it is a FACT.

how do you know this?

seems to me all we can categorically state as fact is that Hearts have gone down the ukio route again. (if we take the reports at face value - and I have no reason to doubt them).

how do you know this?

seems to me all we can categorically state as fact is that Hearts have gone down the ukio route again. (if we take the reports at face value - and I have no reason to doubt them).

Ok, you appoint a third party to try and find a sponser with a view to increasing revenue as there is none to be had from being sponsored by Vlad's bank.

That is unsuccessful and you end up sponsored by Ukio Bankas again.

Having spoken to certain people with regards to Hearts search for a sponsor ( Not someone within Hearts) i firmly believe that the Club were unable to find a sponsor.

There are certain reasons why Hearts are not a Club which would interest sponsors at the current time.

Commander Harris
Ok, you appoint a third party to try and find a sponser with a view to increasing revenue as there is none to be had from being sponsored by Vlad's bank.

Having spoken to certain people with regards to Hearts search for a sponsor ( Not someone within Hearts) i firmly believe that the Club were unable to find a sponsor.

There are certain reasons why Hearts are not a Club which would interest sponsors at the current time.

that is one viewpoint.

this is another:

Ivan Drago

Did Wimbledon still got sponsored when they moved to Milton Keanes? Leeds havent had any trouble getting sponsors?

Seymour M Hersh
Our inability to attract inward investment has an effect on who is inside the jersey, surely?

I'm sorry but a shirt sponsor deal is hardly going to buy us 2 or 3 ?2-3m players is it. It's hardly going to impact on the debt either. Only the top clubs get real money for this. If as another poster suggests we get ?850k then I think that would be really hard to beat.

I'm sorry but a shirt sponsor deal is hardly going to buy us 2 or 3 ?2-3m players is it. It's hardly going to impact on the debt either. Only the top clubs get real money for this. If as another poster suggests we get ?850k then I think that would be really hard to beat.

I dot have an issue with that but...

My experience in this isnt massive, 3 yrs to be precise. Looking at it from the outside gives me this view.

You can create hype over a product by having well known brands endorsing it.

Example....

Being a start up company(which is where I gained my first experience in seeking sponsorship) and working with brands like Orange or Tesco would make other companies of a smaller size want to be involved.

Hearts could have went down the route of getting a company on board for less money resulting in the business community sitting up and taking notice.

The shirt sponsor being Ukio, at best only shows hearts arent worth what we think we are, this doesnt paint a pretty picture for future investments.

Any way I dont know the ins and outs but understand sponsorship which makes me worried about how the business community see hearts, a business community VR believes is a key factor to our growth.

From the 2006 accounts:

"AB UKIO Bankas provided sponsorship income of ?240,000 (2005 ?nil). This balance remains due to the Company at 31 July 2006."

I've lost my copy of the 2007 accounts, but I would imagine the figure would be similar - can anyone confirm?

It will be in the related party transaction note (note 26 in the 2006 accounts).

Boaby Ewing

Can't see it in the 2007 accounts (well I can't by control Fing 'sponsorship' anyway, and I can't be ersed trolling through the whole thing).

Did Wimbledon still got sponsored when they moved to Milton Keanes? Leeds havent had any trouble getting sponsors?

Sorry i maybe should of clarified.

I am not saying there is no-one out there who would sponsor Hearts. I am saying for the kind of finance they would be looking for from it, there is not a lot of people interested at that level due to certain things at the CLub.

No matter what state the Club was in, there would be someone willing to sponsor the Club.

However i believe the Club have over-estimated the interest in the CLub at the level they were looking for.

Archived