A 'top ten' generation of HMFC Premier League centre backs

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

Berra, Jardine, Levein, McLaren, McPherson, Pressley, Ritchie, Tall, Weir, Webster

10 centre backs spanning 25 years, written in alphabetical order.

Now it's time to put them in proper order.

An order of greatness.

But why that order? Do explain.

Below is mine:

1. Levein

2. McLaren

3. McPherson

4. Jardine

5. Weir

6. Webster

7. Pressley

8. Tall

9. Berra

10. Ritchie

Levein was the classiest player of all, and would've been at a top English club had it not been for his first injury. McLaren was actually our best defender though from 1992 - 94, IMO. Big Peas and Gravey pipped Jardine to third, though SJ won player of the year, but DM was quite awesome for (his first)five seasons.

Weir is the best of the last 10 years for me, although i think his first season was better than 97/98. I was a massive fan of Webster, and he might've been higher had he not tarnished his rep. I don't think we'll ever get to see the best of Tall, but I suspect he was quality in waiting. Pressley (2000 - 03) was probably the best defender in Scotland outwth the Old Firm until he was superceeded by Webster. Berra still has a lot to learn, and will get better. Ritchie was often very good, but I always felt he relied heavily on Weir.

Missing out on my top 10 is Pasquale Bruno; a cult hero with many fans, but I found him to be a little bit of a liability.

Over to you.

Buffalo Bill

Berra, Jardine, Levein, McLaren, McPherson, Pressley, Ritchie, Tall, Weir, Webster

10 centre backs spanning 25 years, written in alphabetical order.

Now it's time to put them in proper order.

An order of greatness.

But why that order? Do explain.

Below is mine:

1. Levein

2. McLaren

3. McPherson

4. Jardine

5. Weir

6. Webster

7. Pressley

8. Tall

9. Berra

10. Ritchie

Levein was the classiest player of all, and would've been at a top English club had it not been for his first injury. McLaren was actually our best defender though from 1992 - 94, IMO. Big Peas and Gravey pipped Jardine to third, though SJ won player of the year, but DM was quite awesome for (his first)five seasons.

Weir is the best of the last 10 years for me, although i think his first season was better than 97/98. I was a massive fan of Webster, and he might've been higher had he not tarnished his rep. I don't think we'll ever get to see the best of Tall, but I suspect he was quality in waiting. Pressley (2000 - 03) was probably the best defender in Scotland outwth the Old Firm until he was superceeded by Webster. Berra still has a lot to learn, and will get better. Ritchie was often very good, but I always felt he relied heavily on Weir.

Missing out on my top 10 is Pasquale Bruno; a cult hero with many fans, but I found him to be a little bit of a liability.

Over to you.

Buffalo Bill

Would have Bruno in before Tall.Would even put Roddy MacDonald before Tall.Big Roddy(his nickname would have caused a few threads and suspensions on kickback:)) was a very good centre half.Just unlucky that we had great centre backs at the time.Put Berra before Webster.Berra has come through the ranks without the aid of an experiance defender beside him and he has done really well.

1. Levein

2. McLaren

3. McPherson

4. Jardine

5. Weir

6. Pressley

7. Ritchie

8 Berra

9 Webster

10 MacDonald.

Buffalo Bill

Please no David Winnies, Jim Weirs or Fabian Leclerqs!

Buffalo Bill

Didn't see Jardine so will swap him with Karipidis. Bruno was a legend but he really was a liability most of the time. I also didn't see Levein at his best.

1. David Weir

2. Alan McLaren

3. Steven Pressley

4. Andy Webster

5. Craig Levein

6. Paul Ritchie

7. Dave McPherson

8. Christophe Berra

9. Christos Karipidis

10. Ibrahim Tall

Archived