Celtic fans jailed in the Dam

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Various tweets to the effect that five Celtic fans have been jailed in Amsterdam

2 x 2 months, 2 x 6 weeks and 1 x 1 month, and one was set free.

Should have been given longer sentences? :builder2:

Celtic minded tweeters in meltdown.

Can see the headlines now: "Celtic Fans Can't Understand Long Sentences"... :whistling:;)

Jambof3tornado

Banning orders back here?

Nah, didn't fekkin think so.

Scum. (And that goes for the huns in manchester a few years back too).

Delightful news, shame the sentences are so short though.

Perhaps the cops here could take note, oh wait.....

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I got stuck there when I was eighteen.

I wasn't allowed to stay at the airport, so ended up in the Sally-Anne...

Just wanted to get hame...

...a bit disco

I got stuck there when I was eighteen.

I wasn't allowed to stay at the airport, so ended up in the Sally-Anne...

Just wanted to get hame...

It's fun to stay at the YMCA eh?

Bummed. Defo.

i wish jj was my dad

Amazing how the police outside of this country are prepared to tackle their behaviour.

i wish jj was my dad

Doubt it's a consiracy.

More likely that foreign polis are less inclined to worry about the political implications of tackling the bigots.

The Old Tolbooth

We simply have to sing a song praising the Dutch police next time that vile scum come to town, it would be rude not to ;)

image.jpg

I see that clown's friends have created a Facebook page dedicated to him 'Free Padraig Mullan'.

Candlelight vigil to follow I would imagine.

Funny how the weegie press are not slagging them off!

If that had been hearts fans doing wot they did,u just know that the media would have been calling us a "disgrace to the country" & "Scotlands shame"

reminds me when they said miko was a disgrace for diving against us yet

scott brown gets to be a thug & hack players.

jim goodwin gets to be "casper the ghost"

samaras gets to "dive" left,right & centre" but mainly in the penalty box!

Now the tics are acting the victim! Ppfft do me a favour.they,re thugs.end off.

Nucky Thompson

They weren't drunk, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, the Dutch police just attack people for no reason. :Aye:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I see that clown's friends have created a Facebook page dedicated to him 'Free Padraig Mullan'.

Candlelight vigil to follow I would imagine.

Prick gets what's coming.

:pleasing:

image.jpg

What is the obsession with these jokers and their invisible weapons? Most normal people grow out of this phase at about 8 or 9 years old.

Funny how the weegie press are not slagging them off!

If that had been hearts fans doing wot they did,u just know that the media would have been calling us a "disgrace to the country" & "Scotlands shame"

reminds me when they said miko was a disgrace for diving against us yet

scott brown gets to be a thug & hack players.

jim goodwin gets to be "casper the ghost"

samaras gets to "dive" left,right & centre" but mainly in the penalty box!

Now the tics are acting the victim! Ppfft do me a favour.they,re thugs.end off.

100% this. And no doubt the GFA will just sit back and allow them to continue without punishment.

Is he actually called Padraig? Couldn't make it up. Hopefully gets his sentence extended for bad behaviour or something :pleasing:

MaroonBlooded

Mostly longtime lurker here, which no doubt will count against me in the eyes of those who want to see imposters and infiltrators everywhere, but I can't help that unfortunately. I just felt I could maybe offer a slightly different perspective on this occasion. For full disclosure, not that it should matter, but about half of my family are Celtic fans. I was born and raised in Dalry, went to Tynecastle High and have always supported my local team however. There's never been any doubt in my mind as to where my loyalties lie; 11 years as a season ticket holder in Main Stand Section T before I moved away stand as testament to that I hope. So that's my disclaimer when the inevitable kickback pelters come in! Make of all that what you will.

Now that's out of the way, I have to say that with the information in front of us currently I'm not entirely confident in the guilt of these supporters. I must admit that when I first heard the story my immediate reaction, rightly or wrongly, was 'typical Old Firm, giving the rest of us a bad name'. It's a dangerous assumption but possibly an understandable one. A bit of schadenfreude with the results of your rivals is all fine and to be expected but in all seriousness now we're talking about these guys' lives. They stand to go to prison and lose any jobs they have presumably as well. These are no easy times either as we know. It's a bit more than football if you ask me and deserves to be treated with a degree of impartiality. It's obvious this is a more complicated story than the Rangers fans in Manchester.

There's a couple of reasons for my unease with the verdicts. First off, if you've watched what little footage there is of the incident - and admittedly video does not always tell the whole story - then you've seen 3 or 4 plain-clothed Dutch police officers per Celtic fan, piling into them and frankly giving them a bit of a doing. It isn't hard to believe the many supporters' claims that these guys were set upon by what they believed to be Ajax hooligans and they reacted completely accordingly. This is quite aside from the moral questions raised by plain-clothed police officers acting in any public order situation. How would you know they were police?

Secondly, to those who believe that there's no smoke without fire etc., and that police don't get up to these sorts of shenanigans - let me share a story that happened to my cousin some years ago. Despite the reputation that unfortunately follows some sections of the Chelsea support, I can state categorically that neither he nor his brother have ever been involved in football violence of any kind. On this particular day, as they waited on the train back to London having just watched Chelsea play Middlesbrough at The Riverside, my cousin was standing alone on the platform while his brother was in the station toilets, when suddenly he was set upon by a large group of football thugs. After this incident he was arrested, bailed, before subsequently being re-arrested in a dawn raid and charged with being a football hooligan, banned from following Chelsea and England abroad, and faced the impending prospect of a full trial and possibly jail time. It turned his life upside down. It reached trial but luckily the presiding judge saw sense and immediately threw the case out, before launching an absolutely stinging criticism of the conduct of the police throughout. You see it turned out that the group of thugs was in fact full of undercover police officers. Simply flabbergasting I know. The police had always known the circumstances, and there was even CCTV showing exactly what had happened, but they pursued my cousin nonetheless. It's fair to say that as a family we are still very bitter over it all. What's incredible is that the police can somehow get away with assaulting an innocent man and despite overwhelming evidence face no consequences. It seems even if they're out of uniform, the police can do whatever they want with impunity. This was England sure, but is it too much of a stretch to believe there could be similar problems in the Netherlands?

I know most of the responses on this thread are likely facetious more than anything, so I aim this post not at you but for those who think that point scoring over your rivals is more important than seeing justice done, or somehow justifies an indifference to it. I could be wrong but I feel it's at least possible that there's more to this story than meets the eye, and we would all do well to keep an open mind and let the evidence be viewed in full. This is likely an unpopular view I accept but one I feel had to be said, even at the risk of being accused or dismissed as a sympathiser of some kind.

I have to say that with the information in front of us currently I'm not entirely confident in the guilt of these supporters.

Have you ever been to a Hearts v celtic game?

I really, really REALLY hope they get all that is coming to them. :)

MaroonBlooded

Have you ever been to a Hearts v celtic game?

I really, really REALLY hope they get all that is coming to them. :)

Yes. Probably numbering in the high 30s. Not as many as most I'm sure, but enough in my short time on this planet to be well aware of the trouble we see at these games. But I am also not foolish enough to think that this represents even close to every Celtic supporter, or that they are alone in having bams in their support, or that they must be automatically guilty of anything and everything. Justice shouldn't work on assumptions and reputations but on evidence.

Mostly longtime lurker here, which no doubt will count against me in the eyes of those who want to see imposters and infiltrators everywhere, but I can't help that unfortunately. I just felt I could maybe offer a slightly different perspective on this occasion. For full disclosure, not that it should matter, but about half of my family are Celtic fans. I was born and raised in Dalry, went to Tynecastle High and have always supported my local team however. There's never been any doubt in my mind as to where my loyalties lie; 11 years as a season ticket holder in Main Stand Section T before I moved away stand as testament to that I hope. So that's my disclaimer when the inevitable kickback pelters come in! Make of all that what you will.

Now that's out of the way, I have to say that with the information in front of us currently I'm not entirely confident in the guilt of these supporters. I must admit that when I first heard the story my immediate reaction, rightly or wrongly, was 'typical Old Firm, giving the rest of us a bad name'. It's a dangerous assumption but possibly an understandable one. A bit of schadenfreude with the results of your rivals is all fine and to be expected but in all seriousness now we're talking about these guys' lives. They stand to go to prison and lose any jobs they have presumably as well. These are no easy times either as we know. It's a bit more than football if you ask me and deserves to be treated with a degree of impartiality. It's obvious this is a more complicated story than the Rangers fans in Manchester.

There's a couple of reasons for my unease with the verdicts. First off, if you've watched what little footage there is of the incident - and admittedly video does not always tell the whole story - then you've seen 3 or 4 plain-clothed Dutch police officers per Celtic fan, piling into them and frankly giving them a bit of a doing. It isn't hard to believe the many supporters' claims that these guys were set upon by what they believed to be Ajax hooligans and they reacted completely accordingly. This is quite aside from the moral questions raised by plain-clothed police officers acting in any public order situation. How would you know they were police?

Secondly, to those who believe that there's no smoke without fire etc., and that police don't get up to these sorts of shenanigans - let me share a story that happened to my cousin some years ago. Despite the reputation that unfortunately follows some sections of the Chelsea support, I can state categorically that neither he nor his brother have ever been involved in football violence of any kind. On this particular day, as they waited on the train back to London having just watched Chelsea play Middlesbrough at The Riverside, my cousin was standing alone on the platform while his brother was in the station toilets, when suddenly he was set upon by a large group of football thugs. After this incident he was arrested, bailed, before subsequently being re-arrested in a dawn raid and charged with being a football hooligan, banned from following Chelsea and England abroad, and faced the impending prospect of a full trial and possibly jail time. It turned his life upside down. It reached trial but luckily the presiding judge saw sense and immediately threw the case out, before launching an absolutely stinging criticism of the conduct of the police throughout. You see it turned out that the group of thugs was in fact full of undercover police officers. Simply flabbergasting I know. The police had always known the circumstances, and there was even CCTV showing exactly what had happened, but they pursued my cousin nonetheless. It's fair to say that as a family we are still very bitter over it all. What's incredible is that the police can somehow get away with assaulting an innocent man and despite overwhelming evidence face no consequences. It seems even if they're out of uniform, the police can do whatever they want with impunity. This was England sure, but is it too much of a stretch to believe there could be similar problems in the Netherlands?

I know most of the responses on this thread are likely facetious more than anything, so I aim this post not at you but for those who think that point scoring over your rivals is more important than seeing justice done, or somehow justifies an indifference to it. I could be wrong but I feel it's at least possible that there's more to this story than meets the eye, and we would all do well to keep an open mind and let the evidence be viewed in full. This is likely an unpopular view I accept but one I feel had to be said, even at the risk of being accused or dismissed as a sympathiser of some kind.

Over your rivals or "over our rivals?"

Not every Hearts fans went to Tynecastle High School, btw.

Yes. Probably numbering in the high 30s. Not as many as most I'm sure, but enough in my short time on this planet to be well aware of the trouble we see at these games. But I am also not foolish enough to think that this represents even close to every Celtic supporter, or that they are alone in having bams in their support, or that they must be automatically guilty of anything and everything. Justice shouldn't work on assumptions and reputations but on evidence.

In my opinion and experience: celtic fans individually are generally fine, the same as everyone else (obviously!), decent people etc. However, put them together as a group and they are entirely different. They become as you will have seen them "in the high 30s" times. So I dont need to explain why I strongly suspect they are guilty, and are many more, although they were not brought to justice :( I hope they suffer greatly, as they deserve :)

Doctor FinnBarr

Have you seen the arsehole from Belfast posting his "active service in the Dam" pics on FB?

Have you watched the Youtube vid of them attacking police and stewards in the Roseburn?

The Celtic away support (the Green Brigade) deserve it, each and every one of them!

MaroonBlooded

Over your rivals or "over our rivals?"

Not every Hearts fans went to Tynecastle High School, btw.

Seriously, are we having the our/your discussion? "Your" can be used in the third person. And on your second point, well duh... There were even a number of Hibs supporters and everything when i was there, madness! Again, I said I was a Hearts fan. I knew someone would try and "out me", I've read Kickback far too long.

In my opinion and experience: celtic fans individually are generally fine, the same as everyone else (obviously!), decent people etc. However, put them together as a group and they are entirely different. They become as you will have seen them "in the high 30s" times. So I dont need to explain why I strongly suspect they are guilty, and are many more, although they were not brought to justice :( I hope they suffer greatly, as they deserve :)

Bowmans_Boot, I can totally understand the mistrust of the Celtic support, we've all seen terrible behaviour from them (and lets be totally honest, the other way too) but it simply doesn't make any sense to declare them all guilty. I can tell you agree with me to a degree at least. But just because some, indeed many, Celtic fans have been guilty of awful behaviour in the past does not automatically mean that these guys are, or that every Celtic fan they are guilty of every accusation to ever be made. It would be preposterous. We can't make examples of people just because they support the same team as some bam. We wouldn't want people to judge our supporters based on John Wilson would we for instance? I am playing Devil's Advocate. These guys might very well be guilty, I just don't think we (the public) are in a position to conclusively declare them so. And indeed I think there are questions to be asked of the police.

Five minutes of my life wasted. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

MaroonBlooded

Have you seen the arsehole from Belfast posting his "active service in the Dam" pics on FB?

Have you watched the Youtube vid of them attacking police and stewards in the Roseburn?

The Celtic away support (the Green Brigade) deserve it, each and every one of them!

With all due respect bikerjambo, I don't see the relevance. The Roseburn incident is completely separate from the Amsterdam one, unless these guys have been linked to both and I'm unaware of this? Also, shit as it sounds, even if this guy was a full blown member of the IRA it still would not be evidence enough that he was guilty of this crime. Evidence that he would be a ^^^^ sure but not evidence that he attacked some police officers. This isn't how justice works. Of course, if it was discovered that he was IRA or a rapist or whatever, I'd not have any sympathy for the guy at all, but the point would kind of still remain.

I think we've got a real tendency as football supporters to make "others" out of rival supporters, as if they were really deep down different to us. I've never got it personally, but maybe that's just me.

Archived