**BREAKING** Postal workers vote 4 to 1 for strike action;

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Looks like its a strike then for us lazy,greedy ,thieving postal workers. ... :wonga: oh well , moan the posties.... oh and for the tory postie bashers on here...... :sincere:

Strike voted by a 4-1 margin.... will add that a strike was the last thing i wanted but anyone on here who was facing a real possibility of their employment contract being torn up after 3 years probably would vote for a strike .... or be mighty peshed off...

**BREAKING** Postal workers vote 4 to 1 for strike action

cwu__1375181306_Dave_Ward_2_for_web.jpg

cwu__1381934066_The_ballot_result.jpg

link source; http://www.cwu.org/n...ike-action.html

Nice wee article below on the privatisation of Royal Mail,....

Corporate Looting and ?Free Market? Privatization: Whatever Became Of Western Civilization?

" even though the British public overwhelmingly opposes turning over the mail service to a profit-making enterprise."

link; http://www.globalres...ization/5354217

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha,

If ever there was an example of the delusions of the public sector - here it is folks...

What percentage of the Yes voters took up their share option, I wonder.

I would be delighted to have confirmed employment for the next three years.

To many shit e bags in the UK when it comes to industrial action though the 'jam today' tories or the likes will be salivating right now

The People's Chimp

Haha,

If ever there was an example of the delusions of the public sector - here it is folks...

What percentage of the Yes voters took up their share option, I wonder.

I would be delighted to have confirmed employment for the next three years.

You're being fairly disingenuous. The reason the job will be there 3 years down the line is that it is a public service and one which the public will continue to need in 3 years. Not sure why that's the fault of the postal worker. As for the private sector, what is it that's so great about it when you can't say you'll have a job in 3 years time?

What was the last strike in the UK that received anything other than widescale derision from the media? I ask because i was polled by some company about the prospect of a postal strike last week and the questions were skewed to the point that it was almost impossible to do anything other than say striking was wrong, and i cant recall any paper in my lifetime backing strike action.

You're being fairly disingenuous. The reason the job will be there 3 years down the line is that it is a public service and one which the public will continue to need in 3 years. Not sure why that's the fault of the postal worker. As for the private sector, what is it that's so great about it when you can't say you'll have a job in 3 years time?

If there is the need for the workers in 3 years then they will have a job. If there is not the need for them, they wont. That is how the economy works.

There is nothing great about not being able to say you'll have a job in 3 years time. I don't understand your point.

There is nothing great about not being able to say you'll have a job in 3 years time. I don't understand your point.

Maybe you should unionise?

Fine. Another reason not to use them.

Hopefully, now it is private, the six figure salaried union leaders will firmly get told how ludicrous their demands are. They'll still get paid though, so they will probably not be overly concerned.

Fine. Another reason not to use them.

Hopefully, now it is private, the six figure salaried union leaders will firmly get told how ludicrous their demands are. They'll still get paid though, so they will probably not be overly concerned.

Don't know much Unions leaders earn but it will be nowhere near as the new postal management will get as thousands lose their jobs and prices are hiked good old privatization

They have every right to strike as they know what is going to happen. Newly privatised company needs to make profit for shareholders, get rid of staff. Thousands will lose their job. I appreciate its ironic that postal workers bought shares for themselves, but the big profit is designed for fat cat investors.

Don't know much Unions leaders earn but it will be nowhere near as the new postal management will get as thousands lose their jobs and prices are hiked good old privatization

If there are thousands of job losses and no detriment to the service we receive, then it would kind of support the suggestion that they are over-staffed.

Most earn more than the Prime Minister or pretty close to that.

I doubt 'thousands' will lose their job. If they do, it will be because the company is not performing and that is how it works. I don't see why it should be any different for a postie.

As for prices going up, if they do, it'll be fo similar reasons. You can not expect an indefiante price freeze and have all jobs guaranteed regardless of the company's finance. That should never be the case, even in the public sector, in fact particularly in the public sector, since it costs the tax payer.

They have every right to strike as they know what is going to happen. Newly privatised company needs to make profit for shareholders, get rid of staff. Thousands will lose their job. I appreciate its ironic that postal workers bought shares for themselves, but the big profit is designed for fat cat investors.

Those fat cat investors are probably pension fund managers, for their clients' pensions. If you have a pension, the fund manager of your chosen fund or funds (or the trustees chosen funds) is probably one of them.

Very few 'fat cat investors' are individuals keeping the money for themselves.

The People's Chimp

How much have Goldman Sachs already earned for advising Cameron? The property portfolio in London alone is hugely undervalued - especially the London properties - and the taxpayer is footing the bill for the pension liabilities! Sorry, "Royal Mail's property portfolio is attractive, I don't deny, and the fact the pension hole has been satisfactorily negotiated is helpful."

:rolleyes:

Most earn more than the Prime Minister or pretty close to that.

I doubt 'thousands' will lose their job. If they do, it will be because the company is not performing and that is how it works. I don't see why it should be any different for a postie.

As for prices going up, if they do, it'll be fo similar reasons. You can not expect an indefiante price freeze and have all jobs guaranteed regardless of the company's finance. That should never be the case, even in the public sector, in fact particularly in the public sector, since it costs the tax payer.

' I doubt thousands will lose their jobs ' Its a racing certainty . The PO has made profit for yonks. Prices go up most of the time not as a necessity but for profit many customers have to stump up Re look at others utilities that were privatised Why does everything have to be about profit ??

If the Royal Mail can run efficiently with losing said staff - then why should they keep their jobs?

More to the point - why were there too many staff in the first place?

Sexton Hardcastle

I wish I could go on strike like firemen, posties, teachers if I got pissed off at work.

Oh well.

' I doubt thousands will lose their jobs ' Its a racing certainty . The PO has made profit for yonks. Prices go up most of the time not as a necessity but for profit many customers have to stump up Re look at others utilities that were privatised Why does everything have to be about profit ??

If it is a racing certainty, then the company is clearly over staffed, and it will be the correct decision.

As for being about profit, what is the point in going into business to break even, or make a loss? There is none. Also, given that every single pension (including the state pension (as Governments invest), relies on profits, it is vitally important. It should be in the public sector too, again, it is more important that it is, given that any public sector group making a loss is financed by the tax payer, whether they like it or not.

If Royal Mail staff are as brilliant and efficient as they think they are, and their demands are reasonable, they have nothing to worry about.

Can I also add, this strike has nothing to do with privatisation. It was planned long ago. The workers always intended to go on strike. It is their public sector mentality that if they don't get what they want, they throw their toys out the plan, and if they cause disruption for the public, then that is a bonus.

My guess is the disruption will not be as great as they think, or would like.

What is it about capitalism that turns people sociopathic?

We could probably get benefit claimants to deliver the mail in return for their benefits so why are we wasting good honest tax payer's money on paying posties minimum wage?

Would be cool if people who bemoan strike action so severely had to spend a few months being employed in a world where the hundreds of rights they take for granted that were achieved through previous worker solidarity were suddenly stripped away.

5 day working week, breaks and 28 days holiday a year? You'll be lucky.

What is it about capitalism that turns people sociopathic?

We could probably get benefit claimants to deliver the mail in return for their benefits so why are we wasting good honest tax payer's money on paying posties minimum wage?

Would be cool if people who bemoan strike action so severely had to spend a few months being employed in a world where the hundreds of rights they take for granted that were achieved through previous worker solidarity were suddenly stripped away.

5 day working week, breaks and 28 days holiday a year? You'll be lucky.

I know a civil servant who gets nine weeks a year.

He can also take flexi days as extra, even if he owes up to twenty hours (he thinks it is harsh that I am not allowed to do that). They tried to change that, but whenever change is proposed, strike action is threatened.

Even thatcher said she wouldn't privatise the Royal Mail -as she put it how can you privatise the queens head,- go on the CWU fight for your jobs

Same old Tories sell the family silver except this time the liberals are just as bad

Even thatcher said she wouldn't privatise the Royal Mail -as she put it how can you privatise the queens head,- go on the CWU fight for your jobs

Same old Tories sell the family silver except this time the liberals are just as bad

As are Labour, who proposed it first, but as usual, done what the Unions told them to.

Anyway, the strike has nothing to do with privatisation.

He can also take flexi days as extra, even if he owes up to twenty hours (he thinks it is harsh that I am not allowed to do that). They tried to change that, but whenever change is proposed, strike action is threatened.

I know a few in the private sector who get similar.

I am surprised at that to be honest.

It is certainly not the norm, as the person I mentioned thinks it should be.

The companies that do offer that are either very generous, or very inefficient.

I get 32, and will get 33 next year. This includes bank holidays, but not Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. I suspect that is closer to the norm.

If I want a flex day, I have to have worked the extra hours to cover it.

Seems sensible to me. Anyway, I am going off topic.

I am surprised at that to be honest.

It is certainly not the norm, as the person I mentioned thinks it should be.

The companies that do offer that are either very generous, or very inefficient.

I get 32, and will get 33 next year. This includes bank holidays, but not Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. I suspect that is closer to the norm.

If I want a flex day, I have to have worked the extra hours to cover it.

Seems sensible to me. Anyway, I am going off topic.

So you'll get nearly 7 weeks? Wish I (as a public sector worker) got that!:lol:

I dont know anyone who can take flexi or toil without working it first.

Ive worked in both and, in general, my conditions were a tad better in the private. Im certainly of the opinion, that if a lot of those who complain in the private about the public and all the 'rights' they get, actually channelled their complaints correctly, they might find they get more desirable conditions, rather than just bending over and taking it.

NotVincentGuerain

People should not have rights, it's bad for profits.

Labour movement should be banned, it's bad for the human race.

Strikes should be banned, there are a lot of millionaires that might literally not lose anything if the worthless, yet semi-scrounging types get uppity.

I'll stick my hand up and say in the private sector I get 32 days holiday and operate on a '4 day week'. It works out I get 173 days off per year, which I believe to be more than a school teacher. I can of course work on days off, for which I'm handsomely rewarded.

I personally don't agree with strike action, but there's a place for it sometimes. To strike, because you want a firm to promise not to bin you in 3 years time sounds like an unwinnable cause as I can't see why anyone would sign that off right now.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

This CS you mention probably carries forward leave from previous years. I have been a CS for nearly 30years FYI.

As are Labour, who proposed it first, but as usual, done what the Unions told them to.

Anyway, the strike has nothing to do with privatisation.

So you don't equate privatisation with job loses ?

Can you give me a couple of examples where this hasn't been the case

Shareholders before workers every time unfortunately

So you'll get nearly 7 weeks? Wish I (as a public sector worker) got that!:lol:

I dont know anyone who can take flexi or toil without working it first.

Ive worked in both and, in general, my conditions were a tad better in the private. Im certainly of the opinion, that if a lot of those who complain in the private about the public and all the 'rights' they get, actually channelled their complaints correctly, they might find they get more desirable conditions, rather than just bending over and taking it.

I get that after twenty years service and I get no bank holidays. I certainly would not strike if Indid though.

Out of interest, how much do you get, and does that include bank holidays?

I find the feeling of some posters on this thread to be strange. Having a go at people who are striking, one of the few options available in a workers v bosses disagreement. Posties, fireman, teachers and anyone else should have the right to disagree with anything that affects their working day. Unfortunately for the postal workers the government pushed through the floatation knowing fine well that the CWU would be unable to arrange a strike vote and strike before it. It has made the strike seem pointless as the privatisation has already happened.

We should all be supporting the CWU and the posties. At the very least we should admire them for having the baws to stand up for what they believe in.

So you don't equate privatisation with job loses ?

Can you give me a couple of examples where this hasn't been the case

Shareholders before workers every time unfortunately

It does happen. It is a sign of how inefficient the public sector often is. That is not why they are striking though.

Anyway, why are you exempting Labour, when they proposed it themselves, when in power?

NotVincentGuerain

It does happen. It is a sign of how inefficient the public sector often is. That is not why they are striking though.

Anyway, why are you exempting Labour, when they proposed it themselves, when in power?

Britain is not an efficient country, private sector as well. see Germany

I don't think it's a case of them not getting what they want, more a case of trying to protect what they already have, working conditions, meal reliefs, pensions, etc, and with a ballot turnout of over 60% with a close on 80% voting yes for industrial action that's not too shabby a %, probably a lot more than most Prime Ministers gain to run the country. Mon the posties!

I don't think it's a case of them not getting what they want, more a case of trying to protect what they already have, working conditions, meal reliefs, pensions, etc, and with a ballot turnout of over 60% with a close on 80% voting yes for industrial action that's not too shabby a %, probably a lot more than most Prime Ministers gain to run the country. Mon the posties!

80% of 60% is still less than half. You are probably right about Prime Ministers though.

Britain is not an efficient country, private sector as well. see Germany

It is not. I would say, normally, the private sector is at least less inefficient.

I acknowledge, that is not always the case though.

I get that after twenty years service and I get no bank holidays. I certainly would not strike if Indid though.

Out of interest, how much do you get, and does that include bank holidays?

I get no holidays, no 'public' holidays, no sick days, no company funded pension scheme, no paternity leave, no 'right to strike'.

If my employee's don't work for various reasons (as above) I have to pay them and I don't get payed by our customers.

Archived