**BREAKING** Postal workers vote 4 to 1 for strike action;

maroonlegions

I get that after twenty years service and I get no bank holidays. I certainly would not strike if Indid though.

Out of interest, how much do you get, and does that include bank holidays?

I get 5 weeks. I dont get bank holidays either, though some are added to my overall total, which is how all my friends in private sector have their hols worked out too. They have to take certain days though. I dont get that option.

I'll get extra when I have 5 years service. Max I can end up with is 7 and a half.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised at that to be honest.

It is certainly not the norm, as the person I mentioned thinks it should be.

The companies that do offer that are either very generous, or very inefficient.

I get 32, and will get 33 next year. This includes bank holidays, but not Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. I suspect that is closer to the norm.

If I want a flex day, I have to have worked the extra hours to cover it.

Seems sensible to me. Anyway, I am going off topic.

I don't think you got what I was trying to say. Take a look at the average holiday entitlement of workers in the United States. That's what happens when workers rights get trodden over.

Or if you want an example closer to home, try and find out how much unpaid over-time is worked in the UK annually.

Crabs in a bucket springs to mind.

NotVincentGuerain

It is not. I would say, normally, the private sector is at least less inefficient.

I acknowledge, that is not always the case though.

Which is why attempting to label things in such inefficient terms as "public sector" and "private sector" is so pointless.

But I believe you will continue to do so anyway.

And you will continue to miss the deeper issues facing the UK.

I get 5 weeks. I dont get bank holidays either, though some are added to my overall total, which is how all my friends in private sector have their hols worked out too. They have to take certain days though. I dont get that option.

I'll get extra when I have 5 years service. Max I can end up with is 7 and a half.

I see. That is slightly more than me (when you reach your max, mine is 32 or 33 days) , but does sound reasonable in your case, and not too much.

It does happen. It is a sign of how inefficient the public sector often is. That is not why they are striking though.

Anyway, why are you exempting Labour, when they proposed it themselves, when in power?

I'm not excusing labour but guess what it was a Tory/Liberal gov that HAS sold it off and for a lot less than its worth according to the financial experts

In the coming months watch for the redundancies which will cost the country money when these unfortunate people have to claim benifets but watch the dividends being paid to the shareholders great just great

I don't think you got what I was trying to say. Take a look at the average holiday entitlement of workers in the United States. That's what happens when workers rights get trodden over.

Or if you want an example closer to home, try and find out how much unpaid over-time is worked in the UK annually.

That is a fair point, I will give you that, particularly with regards to holiday entitlements in the US, which is shoddy. If that is what they were striking over, I would support it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Buy much from China djf? How are the workers' rights over there in that Communist paradise?

Billy the Jambo

I get no holidays, no 'public' holidays, no sick days, no company funded pension scheme, no paternity leave, no 'right to strike'.

If my employee's don't work for various reasons (as above) I have to pay them and I don't get payed by our customers.

You should join a union mate

NotVincentGuerain

Which is why attempting to label things in such inefficient terms as "public sector" and "private sector" is so pointless.

But I believe you will continue to do so anyway.

And you will continue to miss the deeper issues facing the UK.

A post of mine from earlier.

Partisan politics is no solution. see Gemany, also USA

Divide and rule is still working a treat, then, I see. The public sector hate the private sector, the private sector despise the public sector and we all sleepwalk into a race to the bottom. Goody gumdrops.

One of my mates recently sat and ripped into my working conditions, saying that my pension should be slashed, my holidays stripped to the bone, my union destroyed and I should be forced to work on performance related pay, which he said should take the form of pupil results. He was disgusted by the fact that there is a salary scale to get up to a full teacher's salary - there should be no such thing as an automatic "pay rise", he claims. Any working condition he felt he was worse off in, he wanted taken from me.

This is a guy who earns more than twice what I do, gets thousands of pounds contractually awarded to him each year as a bonus, has incentives such as getting paid holidays to Mexico and Washington which he has been on in recent years, and gained less qualifications to get his job than I needed to get mine. He never wanted any of that changed, nor did he want my pay to go up to a professional level to make up for getting shafted in every other way. As far as he is concerned, and he is symptomatic of the attitude that is prevalent in this country, the problems we have can be boiled down to the disingenuous shit that is peddled by the government. The problems are the poor, the vulnerable and those providing public services for a pittance by private sector standards. They are the enemy. They are who should be targeted. And folk lap it up.

Divide and rule is still working a treat, then, I see. The public sector hate the private sector, the private sector despise the public sector and we all sleepwalk into a race to the bottom. Goody gumdrops.

One of my mates recently sat and ripped into my working conditions, saying that my pension should be slashed, my holidays stripped to the bone, my union destroyed and I should be forced to work on performance related pay, which he said should take the form of pupil results. He was disgusted by the fact that there is a salary scale to get up to a full teacher's salary - there should be no such thing as an automatic "pay rise", he claims. Any working condition he felt he was worse off in, he wanted taken from me.

This is a guy who earns more than twice what I do, gets thousands of pounds contractually awarded to him each year as a bonus, has incentives such as getting paid holidays to Mexico and Washington which he has been on in recent years, and gained less qualifications to get his job than I needed to get mine. He never wanted any of that changed, nor did he want my pay to go up to a professional level to make up for getting shafted in every other way. As far as he is concerned, and he is symptomatic of the attitude that is prevalent in this country, the problems we have can be boiled down to the disingenuous shit that is peddled by the government. The problems are the poor, the vulnerable and those providing public services for a pittance by private sector standards. They are the enemy. They are who should be targeted. And folk lap it up.

Well said. Saved me typing it.

As are Labour, who proposed it first, but as usual, done what the Unions told them to.

Anyway, the strike has nothing to do with privatisation.

Tony Blair offered Royal Mail to DP-DHL for a token pound. They uncovered the pension deficit in their due diligence process and declined !

You should join a union mate

IoD, is probably the nearest thing to a union for me,

or maybe the FSB.

;)

I wish I could go on strike like firemen, posties, teachers if I got pissed off at work.

Oh well.

What do you do for a living?

Until employees are seen as part of the firm/company/business then there will always be a them and us relationship

Employers try to get everything for as low a price and employees as high a price...that is normal practice and no different from buying a tv or pc............all parties want value for money.

Employers with few exceptions wanted to screw the employees, unions were formed to fight this and protect the workers.............now in 2013 you would think we had moved on but on the whole we have not............business still wants it all and if there were no rules and regulations we would be back in the 18th century.

Fairness and profit sharing should be part of every business, making someone feel part of a business helps no end and if they can see the fruits of their labour they are likely to aid the growth of the business.

Every employee should have a decent salary with incentives on top.

Every employer should expect a decent return from the said employees.

The drive to profit is no bad thing but the drive to excessive profit can be, the attempts to cut costs often lead to cuts in terms and conditions and it is no wonder there is resistance to change.

Benefits are often hard won rights from the past and without good reason should not be changed for the worse but nor can employees expect things never to change for you cannot expect no changes over a working life.

Responsible employers and employees are the key but when this is not the case extreme views on both sides can result with many being led by people more interested in themselves than the matters at hand.

There has to be a set minimum standard of protection for employees and set rights for them for without that I'm afraid there will be exploitation for the mood at present is to profit at all costs and not fair profit.

Employers need to understand that you hired employees under certain terms and conditions so when you try and change them you should expect resistance unless you can prove to them they will benefit.........history teaches you most attempts are not for the employees benefit but to the employers.

I'll stick my hand up and say in the private sector I get 32 days holiday and operate on a '4 day week'. It works out I get 173 days off per year, which I believe to be more than a school teacher. I can of course work on days off, for which I'm handsomely rewarded.

I personally don't agree with strike action, but there's a place for it sometimes. To strike, because you want a firm to promise not to bin you in 3 years time sounds like an unwinnable cause as I can't see why anyone would sign that off right now.

What job do you do and how to I become one?

NotVincentGuerain

it's pretty obvious what is happening.

Labour have been told by the evil ones in the unions, to try and stick up for the powerless.

This government have proved many times, they stick up for the better off, not the scroungers.

no successful country ( other than the successful democracies) even have unions, erm china anyone?

all strikers could be shot to death tonight=problem solved and we are all better off.

Chad Sexington

Your "mate" sounds like a total dickhead. :lol:

You're mates an idiot and you should've poked him in the eye with a sharp stick. Your working conditions are none of his business, he should only be concerned with himself. He's not taking into account the drawbacks of your job. Around 12 weeks holiday(?) but not exactly flexible holidays are they. Your pensions are being squeezed and you have to put up with dickhead head teachers.

I'm quite lucky that in the railway I've got conditions akin to public sector with the plus points of the private sector. I come from a retail background and a couple of years on I still marvel at the things we get in my job. The protection (which is non existent in retail) we have from the unions is amazing. My work recently offered a 3.2% pay rise (backdated to May) and the unions knocked it back, asking for more PLUS improved annual leave and sick pay along with other things. I don't blame the posties, whilst I think their strike is only going to cost them a day or two's wages they have the right and power to stand firm together. They're scared for their future, that they previously thought was secure. I actually think they could be pleasantly surprised, as I can't see there being the wholesale changes that people are expecting. The unions will dig their heels in, they'll struggle to cut jobs and they'll get reasonable pay rises.

What job do you do and how to I become one?

I'm a train manager. You only get vacancies when other train managers retire, become train drivers, or die.

edit: It's a great job. You go somewhere different every day, get paid well, and you're pretty much your own boss.

Your "mate" sounds like a total dickhead. :lol:

I was seething with his chat :lol:

He compared my level of expertise to some position in his work, which he talked up as easily as highly qualified and challenging. I went home and looked it up - admin support that you need a couple of Standard Grades to get into, and about 6 rungs lower on the ladder than him. He genuinely sees public sector workers, and especially teachers, as cretins who are overpaid for the work they do and not worth his time. The guy is from a left wing, working class background and purely by virtue of having got a good job, has turned into the most politically individualist person out there. Just before that conversation started, he told me about how he had bought a house outright that I will never be able to afford, and how at the work night out, he gives one of the team managers 50 quid for a kitty and attaches a condition that none of the team members approach him for the rest of the night. Really sums it up :lol:

I'm not allowed to talk about politics in company now. :lol::(

He compared my level of expertise to some position in his work, which he talked up as easily as highly qualified and challenging. I went home and looked it up - admin support that you need a couple of Standard Grades to get into, and about 6 rungs lower on the ladder than him. He genuinely sees public sector workers, and especially teachers, as cretins who are overpaid for the work they do and not worth his time. The guy is from a left wing, working class background and purely by virtue of having got a good job, has turned into the most politically individualist person out there. Just before that conversation started, he told me about how he had bought a house outright that I will never be able to afford, and how at the work night out, he gives one of the team managers 50 quid for a kitty and attaches a condition that none of the team members approach him for the rest of the night. Really sums it up :lol:

He wouldn't even be wasting bandwith on my facebook nevermind being in a postion to steal air from me in the pub. I can tolerate wankers like that as part of a group but I'd be avoiding all one on one type conversations and be walking away from him at any opportunity.

He wouldn't even be wasting bandwith on my facebook nevermind being in a postion to steal air from me in the pub. I can tolerate wankers like that as part of a group but I'd be avoiding all one on one type conversations and be walking away from him at any opportunity.

He is a good mate, aside from his repugnant political views :lol:

Like Begbie - a mate's a mate, so what can you do? :lol:

What an arsehole :lol:

I reckon that during a holiday period you should go round his place, that you couldn't possibly ever afford. Whilst he's at work obviously, and pump his wife/bursd. Maybe for two weeks. Keep a pair of her pants and give them to him, telling him that whilst you could never ever afford his super duper expensive pad, you could at any moment take his woman from him and give her a much better time than his bulging bank balance ever could.

Chad Sexington

I've never met him but I genuinely despise him. :lol:

tommythejambo

I know it probably won't affect the OP but my grand kids probably won't know what a postman is.

I run a business and have a flat which I share with two others and somewhere around 99% of the post is s***e, or you get an email/text/phone call telling you the exact same thing, the sooner they get rid of hard copies of mail, the better. It's a complete waste of money and paper.

I had a mate that was a postman and, in his words, "all I did was deliver vouchers and junk mail".

Nothing whatsoever against postmen as I'm always on the side of the working man, but seriously guys, I'd be looking elsewhere.

I know it probably won't affect the OP but my grand kids probably won't know what a postman is.

I run a business and have a flat which I share with two others and somewhere around 99% of the post is s***e, or you get an email/text/phone call telling you the exact same thing, the sooner they get rid of hard copies of mail, the better. It's a complete waste of money and paper.

I had a mate that was a postman and, in his words, "all I did was deliver vouchers and junk mail".

Nothing whatsoever against postmen as I'm always on the side of the working man, but seriously guys, I'd be looking elsewhere.

I love people who come on and tell all and sundry to leave a job :bomb2:

There are thousands of jobs out there all paying at least ?30,000 a year (and I know posties don't get that much) where you need few qualifications..........there must be.......... in the JKB world perhaps.

i mean there are enough jobs for the unemployed aren't there ?.......indeed why are they unemployed at all given you can just leave a job and walk into another in the JKB world.

I had a mate who told me the majority of the population do not have an e mail address and broadband............how do they cope, how could they cope in the JKB world......pigeon post I suspect would be he answer without posties...........and some would be serious.

tommythejambo

I love people who come on and tell all and sundry to leave a job :bomb2:

There are thousands of jobs out there all paying at least ?30,000 a year (and I know posties don't get that much) where you need few qualifications..........there must be.......... in the JKB world perhaps.

i mean there are enough jobs for the unemployed aren't there ?.......indeed why are they unemployed at all given you can just leave a job and walk into another in the JKB world.

I had a mate who told me the majority of the population do not have an e mail address and broadband............how do they cope, how could they cope in the JKB world......pigeon post I suspect would be he answer without posties...........and some would be serious.

I never said anyone should leave their job, what I did imply that it was a dying trade.

When was the last time you got something essential, or even mildly important through your door?

Because your mate told you something, it doesn't make it true.

Snake Plissken

Yep.

The USA have no statutory minimum for holidays, I find that incredible. The average worker has to make do with 15 days off - that's what happens when you don't legislate for time off.

Austria offers the most days off (35) and has the lowest unemployment in the Eurozone (4%).

The amount of private sector work which relies on Public Sector funding, either through fat government contacts or government credits for their low paid workers, is huge. The folk in control all know this but they'll still peddle the Private Sector good argument.

The result of privatisation is always the same. The workers get shafted, the cost to the consumer goes up and the folk at the top make a huge wedge out of it.

I don't think it's a case of them not getting what they want, more a case of trying to protect what they already have, working conditions, meal reliefs, pensions, etc, and with a ballot turnout of over 60% with a close on 80% voting yes for industrial action that's not too shabby a %, probably a lot more than most Prime Ministers gain to run the country. Mon the posties!

To be fair, there would have been a higher turn out if the other 40% of the staff had received their voting cards in the post

To be fair, there would have been a higher turn out if the other 40% of the staff had received their voting cards in the post

:rofl:

Do public sector workers loathe the private sector workers (as suggested above)?

I thought the seeth was one way.

Do public sector workers loathe the private sector workers (as suggested above)?

Works both ways tbh, I've worked in both sectors and it basically comes down to this

Private Sector dislike the amount of 'soft' benefits in the Public Sector (Holidays, parental leave, pension etc etc)

Public Sector dislike the Private because of 'hard' benefits (Higher Salaries, Bonus's, Shares etc)

In reality there isn't a huge difference and it's all just about the perception each sector has about the other. They both have talented and dedicated workers, fat cats and lazy useless clowns!

In the public sector, there is resentment because of the attitude we face from the media and private sector workers, like the guy I talked about above. In my experience, there isn't really any dislike because of the salaries etc - we've made our choice and the private sector is free to pay their workers however much they want. I could have walked into a much higher-paying career, but chose not to because money wasn't my top priority.

What is rotten to the core about the whole situation is that all this resentment exists between people who, all told, are just ordinary folk doing their best to get by, and even more resentment exists from them towards the poor and vulnerable. None of these people are the problem, and the government know it.

Not in my experience. There are pros and cons to both, although the conditions for Public sector workers are rapidly becoming worse but the resentment to me is generally far more towards public sector workers and their 'gold plated pensions/generous holidays/cushy jobs'

As Tommy rightly says though, it's all divide and rule. Turn workers against each other and all workers against the unemployed and sit back as they make it easy for you to make life worse for everyone bar a select few.

maroonlegions

There has to be a clear and transparent indication of just what this privatisation really means for the LONG TERM benefits of not only postal workers but the service to the public also, the tax payer has already been shortchanged , there is like everything else when it comes to new deals and the documentation it contains that black hole called the "small print"..This privatisation act has "clauses" that effect some employment rights of postal workers and for those biting their gums on the pro privatisation all is fine and dandy dance would be well advised to read some of these clauses and then put them into their own employment rights, conditions ect and see how they would then feel.... the saying "feather the nest and feck the rest" can at least be seen in some light when it comes to those whose jobs ,employment rights and conditions are not being effected... human nature has a lot to answer for.... below is a snippet on some of these clauses...

Will members have to surrender employment rights?

ifte Government proceeds as planned, the answer is a clear "No". The Growth and Infrastructure Act 2013 created a new employment status called "employee shareholder". The relevant legislation will not come into force until 1 September. When it does, employers will be able to give shares with a value of up to ?2,000 to their employees on condition that they give up employment law rights relating to some types of unfair dismissal, statutory redundancy pay and requests for time off for training. The notice that employee shareholder have to give before returning from parental leave is also longer than other employees.

However; :detective::muggy:

(BELOW IS THE UNIONS RESPONSE FROM THEIR LAWYERS);

Taking up employee shareholder status must be voluntary

Volunteers must be given a clear statement of what rights they are giving up and what shareholder rights they are getting

They must be given access to independent advice paid for by the employer

They must be given a 7 day 'cooling-off' period.

These features are inconsistent with what the Government has announced. A"Share Incentive Plan" (that is, an employee share scheme that is given tax advantages)must be offered on the same terms to all employees and must not contain terms that could act as a disincentive to join. The only permissible objective for a Share Incentive Plan is to give employees a continuing stake in the company - that excludes adding a secondary objective of making them give up employment rights. THAT EXCLUDES ADDING A SECONDARY OBJECTIVE OF MAKING THEM GIVE UP EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS.

Put simply, Share Incentive Plans and employee shareholder status are incompatible. We are being told that the Royal Mail employee share scheme will be a Share Incentive Plan. That means the Growth and Infrastructure Act provisions relating to employee shareholders cannot apply...

There is more on the link below;

http://www.cwu.org/r...ares-offer.html

maroonlegions

That the Royal Mail share was undervalued by the governments city mates became clear when the shares soared after a day of trading and not only that the taxpayer AGAIN,( BANK BAIL OUTS, PUBLIC SERVICE AUSTERITY CUTS),lost over ?1 billion.. so excuse us if we are untrusting of this government and its snake like policies that are benefiting the wealthy by robbing the least well off... i am more concerned about my job employment rights in the three year window than a short term gain share offer... All the share price increase really benefited was those wealthy private investors and faceless institutions, its NOT bringing any money into Royal Mail , it looks like that the investment argument is just a myth...

Another point here is that why should we accept individuals maximising profits on the back of minimising the value, terms and conditions of postal workers, a three year gradual downward pressure on pay and conditions ..... the stakes are high when it comes to jobs, as has been in other industries .... we want a legally binding agreement that protects jobs and i am sure others in a similar scenario in their line of work would do all they could to protect their jobs, employment rights and conditions..

I would like to add that when i received notice that i was going to receive free shares as an employee it came with an "opt out clause" ... i chose to OPT OUT of these shares,, i will receive NO free shares....

maroonlegions

cwu__1381324822_The_Great_Mail_Robbery.jpg

How dare these lazy, thieving postal workers demand a legally binding agreement on employment rights, next they will be wanting a pay rise that matches inflation and even want it back dated to April when they were promised it by RM..... lol...The real crooks are depicted above..... stealing from the public purse to feed the wealthy is their game and it comes in many disguises, the public bail oot of the banks was the start..... NHS is another pie they want their fingers in.....

It's the government carrying out the Eu directives that it must sell the Royal Mail do you know that for the last 5 years the Royal Mail has to deliver its competitors mail at 9 pence cheaper than a 2nd class delivery also that it had to get permission to subsidise rural post offices to keep them open which was refused yes we run our own country and who was in power then Liebour yes our traitorous party the Royal Mail is not perfect but just wait and see like the energy privatisation prices will go up not come down

The bit that I really object to is the fact that this was not an open issue- most shares were reserved for massive investors. This meant that any windfall- and ther was a massive windfall- was reserved for those who needed it the least.

It was not even a gamble.

Sachs stitched this up

If I was the government and Sachs had just cost me a BILLION by undervaluing an asset (and thats what they did) I would sue the shit out of them for gross incompetence

Had the public had full access to the issue many would have made a killing- andgone out and spent the profit hence boosting the economy.

As it stands this will not now happen

THe profits made will vanish

Just wait until the NHS goes- and it surely will

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions

I have worked out that on average I get 2 main letters from royal mail upper management a year....

1) You are the best hard working dedicated workforce ever and the company would not be in such good shape without your loyalty, this is usually followed by a massive bonus paid to the likes of Moya green...lol.

2)You are under worked and over paid, we need to make drastic cuts, the opposition will steal all our work if you dare to strike. This will always be followed by, that we can only offer you a below cost of living pay rise and will tell the public that you are a greedy self interested lot.... AYE RIGHT...

Archived