Ryanair

Tazio

I had the pleasure of flying by Ryanair from Dublin yesterday.

And I will never do it again.

Due to the cheapness of their flights you end up on a plane with Celtic taps, stag and hen weekends and peasants on their first flight. Then factor in the inherent crapness of their planes, the fact that they park as far from the terminal as possible to save money, the interiors have been designed by IKEA, the seats don't recline, the lack of inflight catering, the unreserved seating so it's like a bunfight to get a seat that isn't next to a freak.

Also the fact that you have to pay for the privilege of actually taking luggage. Thus explaining the fact that people try to take on ridiculous sized hand luggage. If it has wheels and can carry a weeks clothes then it isn't hand luggage.

For christsake people applauded when the plane stopped after landing!! The last time I experienced that was flying to Spain in the early 80's on a holiday flight. You don't have to applaud the captain, it's his job to land it.

The Old Tolbooth

Due to the cheapness of their flights you end up on a plane with Celtic taps, stag and hen weekends and peasants on their first flight. Then factor in the inherent crapness of their planes, the fact that they park as far from the terminal as possible to save money, the interiors have been designed by IKEA, the seats don't recline, the lack of inflight catering, the unreserved seating so it's like a bunfight to get a seat that isn't next to a freak.

Also the fact that you have to pay for the privilege of actually taking luggage. Thus explaining the fact that people try to take on ridiculous sized hand luggage. If it has wheels and can carry a weeks clothes then it isn't hand luggage.

For christsake people applauded when the plane stopped after landing!! The last time I experienced that was flying to Spain in the early 80's on a holiday flight. You don't have to applaud the captain, it's his job to land it.

Sorry Tazio, but I found this post hilarious :D

Especially the part highlighted, pure brilliant!!

maltese jambo

Tazio, the clue is in the price ;)

Btw theres nothing wrong with their planes.

Flew last weekend from Liverpool to Alghero in Sardinia for a long weekend and had no problems! Both ways the flight was 30mins quicker than expected, when we landed at both airports we were never more than about 100 yards from the terminal!

I like the way they work the Pilots and the staff as hard as legally possible.

Take it they werent serving some Appletons on ice, Taz?

christhejambo

I've had some rank journeys with them and Easyjet for that matter over the last few years- and to be honest the cheapness of the flight hasn't made up for the general crapiness of it all. Worth paying the extra few quid to go BA IMO.

Suppose its pot luck who's on the plane, but i've had to sit through a flight with a man with tourettes on one side, and the sweatiest creature i have ever had the misfortune of smelling on the other. Horrid

Doctor FinnBarr

Been looking into a flight from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf Weeze for the 3 of us, ?45 return, not bad. Then you tell them you have 1 item of luggage and the price shoots up ?32, at that rate I should,ve booked a seat for the suitcase!

:evilno:

Midloth_Iain

Not particularly a Ryanair problem. Having recently returned from the Far East, I could not believe the number of full size cases being lifted into the cabin (some of them needed the assistance of 2 people) and without being racist, the Chinese were by far the worst culprits. My wife ended up with a bruise on her calf and the cheeky cow that caused it didnt even apologise, just a smirk :mad:

portobellojambo1

I think they are called bucket airlines for a reason Tazio. You just have to accept that if you are saving on the actual cost of the journey the main saving revolves around the fringe benefits that tend to come when paying a bit more, ie in flight entertainment, qulaity of food and seat etc.. The best way to get through a flight with Ryanair or Easyjet is to have a good scoop beforehand, get on, sit down fall asleep and waken up at your destination.

davemclaren

Flew this week to Shannon and back and thought they were ok. I agree that there are some strange cookies on the flight but managed to stay away from them.

However, first time I've ever been to Prestwick Airport. It's a real backwater and like being back in the 60s. Shannon Airport is a bit like that as well. :eek:

As PJ1 says....cheap seats mean a cheap operation. You pays yer price and takes yer chance. ;)

Midloth_Iain
Flew this week to Shannon and back and thought they were ok. I agree that there are some strange cookies on the flight but managed to stay away from them.

However, first time I've ever been to Prestwick Airport. It's a real backwater and like being back in the 60s. Shannon Airport is a bit like that as well. :eek:

As PJ1 says....cheap seats mean a cheap operation. You pays yer price and takes yer chance. ;)

I flew Ryanair, Edinburgh to Shannon last November, thought the whole set up was fine, but I am used to "no frills " airlines :cool:

cosanostra

Easyjet is much worse.

Luton airport is horrendous and the baggage handlers search through your bags and steal whatever is ov value. I know 4 people who had things stolen from their bags going through Luton (3 of us were on the same flight).

Ryan air make there money from freight do they not?

Possibly. I always thought Ryanair made their money from what they affectionately call "self-loading cargo".

I P Knightley

One of the funniest lines I heard involved a Ryanair hostess giving the safety talk.

When she got to the bit saying, "the oxygen masks will drop down," some loud Irishman shouted, "and you insert a 2 euro coin!"

One of the funniest lines I heard involved a Ryanair hostess giving the safety talk.

When she got to the bit saying, "the oxygen masks will drop down," some loud Irishman shouted, "and you insert a 2 euro coin!"

In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks are on sale for seven euro.

maltese jambo

Prestwick may not look asthetically pleasing but with the rail link it makes it the most accessible airport in Scotland.

I liked prestwick before they ruined it by the new branding nonsence. Pure dead sheite

davemclaren
In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks are on sale for seven euro.

You might think this odd but on the RyanAir flights last week the cabin crew reffered, like yourself, to the plural of Euro as Euro ( as in 7 Euro ). I'm no language expert but over here it would be 7 Euros. :P

Malinga the Swinga

I have had the dubious pleasure of using Ryan Air on return flights to and from Edinburgh and Dublin once a week for the last 2 years. With the introduction of the carousel euro disco music prior to the flight and the new 'ta ra ra da da, another Ryan Air flight on time' celebration when the plane lands early, it truly is the air line from hell, and no I don't want a scratchcard when I get on a plane, I want to go to sleep and be left alone.

You get what you pay for. I've flown with Ryan Air and Easyjet and as long as you ain't going to far they're fine.

You might think this odd but on the RyanAir flights last week the cabin crew reffered, like yourself, to the plural of Euro as Euro ( as in 7 Euro ). I'm no language expert but over here it would be 7 Euros. :P

Yes and no.

For legal purposes (i.e. for legal documents and legislation), the plurals are "euro" and "cent". However, for communication with the general public the normal plurals are supposed to be used. In the haphazard fashion for which the Irish are known, it all depends on who's doing the talking, but most of us prefer not to use the "s".

davemclaren
Yes and no.

For legal purposes (i.e. for legal documents and legislation), the plurals are "euro" and "cent". However, for communication with the general public the normal plurals are supposed to be used. In the haphazard fashion for which the Irish are known, it all depends on who's doing the talking, but most of us prefer not to use the "s".

:rolleyes:

Easyjet is much worse.

Luton airport is horrendous and the baggage handlers search through your bags and steal whatever is ov value. I know 4 people who had things stolen from their bags going through Luton (3 of us were on the same flight).

Really? I might try not flying from Luton again any time soon then :confused: Although to be honest I've done it a few times before and never had any problems, apart from it being a pain to get to.

I reckon its just your luck with any airline though. I've had as many problems with British Airways as Easyjet or any other airline (they seem to enjoy losing my bags rather a lot).

In terms of the actual flight you do normally get what you pay for with more leg room and comfier seats etc. on BA.

Funniest thing I heard when flying up on an Easyjet flight recently was a woman with a 'C' boarding card moaning because they wouldn't let her board in the 'B' category. She managed to go on about it for a good five minutes as well like it was the end of the world, whilst being on the wee bus to the plane at the same time as everyone else on the flight - crazy!

I think it is personal preference.

Example; some people say "10 pound" instead of "10 pounds".

A way to solve this problem is if everyone just said "quid", you don't add an "s" on whether it is plural or singular.;)

I think it is personal preference.

Example; some people say "10 pound" instead of "10 pounds".

A way to solve this problem is if everyone just said "quid", you don't add an "s" on whether it is plural or singular.;)

We used to say "quid", but it went out of fashion when the euro came in first. However it's being revived. Younger people sometimes use the slang term "yoyos", which I quite like.

davemclaren
We used to say "quid", but it went out of fashion when the euro came in first. However it's being revived. Younger people sometimes use the slang term "yoyos", which I quite like.

That takes the biscuit. :cool_shades:

That takes the biscuit. :cool_shades:

....and a cup of instant coffee? That'll be seven euro, please. ;)

cosanostra
Really? I might try not flying from Luton again any time soon then :confused: Although to be honest I've done it a few times before and never had any problems, apart from it being a pain to get to.

I reckon its just your luck with any airline though. I've had as many problems with British Airways as Easyjet or any other airline (they seem to enjoy losing my bags rather a lot).

In terms of the actual flight you do normally get what you pay for with more leg room and comfier seats etc. on BA.

Funniest thing I heard when flying up on an Easyjet flight recently was a woman with a 'C' boarding card moaning because they wouldn't let her board in the 'B' category. She managed to go on about it for a good five minutes as well like it was the end of the world, whilst being on the wee bus to the plane at the same time as everyone else on the flight - crazy!

Sure is true.

Got a pair of Oakleys stolen from my bag, one mate lost his mobile phone and another lost a minidisc player, all on the same flight. We complained, wrote letters, phone calls etc for months and got zero back. We even contacted the police who were worse than useless.

Another friend had his mobile phone stolen on another flight.

Archived