Up and coming Scottish players at Scottish Premiership clubs

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

With having to play such a young team this season, we all know about the top young talent that have played so far this season at Hearts. But what about other teams? One team that has shown to have a great crop of young talent is Dundee United.

Some of the most exciting players at other teams (at least for myself) are:

Dundee United

Ryan Gauld - One of the most exciting young Scottish players around, at least in Scotland. Only 17 years old, has made 17 appearances in the league, a no. 10 who makes a great impact for his team and as well as looking like he fitted in, he has looked like he can play intelligently. If Dundee United can hold onto him for a few more seasons they will make a great fee on him.

Andrew Robertson - 19 year old left back they signed from 3rd division Queens park in the summer. Has played reguarly for the first team this season and has not looked out of place (despite jumping up 4 tiers.) Scored a goal on Sunday driblling from his own half and unleashing a shot just outside of the box (though serious questions should be asked about Motherwell's defence.)

John Souttar - 16 year old center back (turns 17 tomorrow according to wiki) who has had a number of games at the back for united, has had an alright time there and United turned down a bid for him in the Summer from Sunderland.

Stuart Armstrong - 21 year old midfielder. After a a couple of years making the odd apperance for United, he established himself last season being key figure in midfield for United.

Aberdeen

Clark Robertson

Ryan Jack

Cammy Smith

Celtic

Dylan McGeough

Hibernian

Harris

Stanton

Caldwell

Foster

Handling

Inverness Caldedonian Thistle

Nick Ross

(on a side note, there are only 5 Scottish players in ICT's senior squad.)

Kilmarnock

Mark O'Hara

Rory McKenzie

Chris Johnston

Gary Fisher

Motherwell

Stuart Carswell

Fraser Kerr

Partick Thistle

Stephen O'Donnell

Stuart Brannigan

Gary Fraser

St Johnstone

Stevie May

Liam Caddis

St Mirren

Kenny McLean

John McGinn

Thomas Reilly

Was going to write up about each player but felt time wise I would list them. If anyone wants to talk more about any of these players or any players I have not mentioned please do. There is young talented players in Scotland, the key is to give them game time. For example Nick Ross is 21 and he has almost had 100 league games which is a great amount of game time for a young player.

You've undermined the purpose of the thread by naming so many from each team.

There are a few who haven't kicked on this season as I would have expected. Certainly McGeouch at Celtic and Stanton at Hibs seem to have stalled in their progress.

I don't think that Caldwell at Hibs is a particularly good footballer, despite his scoring record against Hearts. He is physically strong and has a great shot, but drifts out of games all too often.

NotVincentGuerain

This saturday's match against Dundee United will be an interesting test for our team and manager.

There will definitely be goals, scored by the younger players. Our many young players, versus 5 or six of theirs.

Good test for the managers too.

jamboinglasgow

You've undermined the purpose of the thread by naming so many from each team.

There are a few who haven't kicked on this season as I would have expected. Certainly McGeouch at Celtic and Stanton at Hibs seem to have stalled in their progress.

I don't think that Caldwell at Hibs is a particularly good footballer, despite his scoring record against Hearts. He is physically strong and has a great shot, but drifts out of games all too often.

Kind of went off track after doing Dundee United, ended up listing young players appearing for premiership teams this season.

Christian Benteke

From a Hibs perspective I can't see Caldwell or Handling amounting to much, comparisons between O'Connor & Riordan from the same age are way off the mark as those 2 actually had serious talent whereas RC & DH don't have anywhere near the same as those 2.

Stanton is a tricky one, he's been floating around the first team squad for over 2 years now without getting anywhere near staking a claim for a spot.

Forster I think has been taken out of the limelight a bit having been thrust into the team last season through necessity (making his full debut at Tynecastle) & playing in a Scottish cup final having only played 5-6 games for the senior side, hoping its good management from Fenlon & he gets back in the side because our defence is a lot better with McPake nowhere near a Hibs jersey.

Harris is the most exciting prospect to come through our youth system for a few years now. Has pace, is very direct, can take men on. Got high hopes for this laddie if he keeps his feet on the ground and we don't go about ruining him like we did Wotherspoon.

Sorry to kind of hijack this but thought I'd give a pesrpective on the Hibs players mentioned.

Archived