What's the scariest thing you've ever experienced?

feedtheroman2

Op telic basra, may 04.

Didn't Telic stand for Tornado Engineers Lost In Cyprus! I was in Basra Feb '05 until June '05 on VASS, good det.

My 3 year old daughter choking. She started choking on a piece of strawberry - we always cut up fruit when they really young - for fear of them choking.

I was upstairs and my wife started shouting on me. I ran down stairs and my daughter was totally choking her face had turned colour and her lips had went blue. I tried the usual pats on the back but to no avail. Things got pretty seriously as her panic had inhibited her breathing as well. Eventually had to do the heimlich maneuver which you aren't really meant to do on kids that young. Didn't really work too well first couple of times - third time strawberry piece went flying across the room like a bullet and she could breath again.

It might not sound that scary but believe me when your kid can't breath and you are a few minutes in it is terrifying.

I have been in car crashes, been attacked, threatened by a knife, found black widow spiders at the pool when I lived in the US and other such risks to myself but none have been close to being so scared for a family member.

Nah, mate, it doesn't sound scary - it sounds ****ing terrifying. :o

Think mine would be when I crashed my car. The front wheel spun on black ice (which was under a pile of wet leaves) going down that treacherous winding bit at Ravelston and there wasn't room on the road to correct the spin. I spun off into one wall and then the other and, despite the fact I was going at no speed, I was resigned to being at least very seriously hurt as I went towards the second one.

That's feck all compared to having to save your daughter's life before she chokes to death though.

I was going from Manikaran to Tosh Village in Northern India in a circa 1950s bus overnight. We were in the Himalayan foothills and climbing rapidly.

Our driver seemed unaffected by the 300ft ravines either side of us as he took every corner at at least 40mph. Passengers were being sick out the window and everything. If you looked you could see rubble tumbling down the mountain after every turn.

I looked out the window to try and distract myself. We start to go round a ridiculously narrow turn in pitch darkness and I see another bus coming the other way. We're on the outside lane and I notice we aren't slowing down. I look forward to see our own driver being sick out his window while hurtling towards this other bus, oblivious to it.

We somehow got past and made it safely. We had some ******* scary moments on the roads there (driving the wrong way on motorways etc) but I honestly thought that it was it for me that night.

queensferryjambo

Sounds horrific! Just in case it ever happens again, patting a choking person on the back is the WORST thing you can do. Whatever is lodged in the person's throat is most likely to settle further down in the throat because of gravity. The Heimlich maneuver is right or, if it's a small child, hold her upside down and slap the back to make gravity work in your favour.

The first thing I done after it happened was to find out exactly what we should have done - and the advice you have written above is exactly what I was told. Thankfully it has never happened again.

When we were coming back from a boys holiday as a young fresh faced 18 year old.

The plane was coming into weegie from Cypurs and as it was touching down something ran through the run way as our plane touched down and took right back of again to aviod it. The pilot was amazing and how we got out of it alive I will never know. It was prob nothing to the pilot but I was shitting myself big time, worst experince of my life.

I shit myself and thought the plane was a cert to crash, I remember still shaking when we got home. That holiday was a disater from start to finish everything that could have went wrong did. We hired jeeps as well and my mate managed to crash one of them also, another mate jumped in the pool banged his nut of the bottom when diving in, he was lucky he was ok.

Last night was definitely up there!

Fell asleep around 2am, woke up about 30mins later but couldn't move my body or open my eyes, it also felt like my whole body was shaking violently (don't know if it was actually or if I just imagined it!). After what felt like an eternity I eventually managed to open my eyes and move my arms and everything was alright. Fell back asleep about an hour later and the same thing happened again ffs :lol:

Really strange experience and I'm shitting myself it happens again tonight.

Fell asleep around 2am, woke up about 30mins later but couldn't move my body or open my eyes, it also felt like my whole body was shaking violently (don't know if it was actually or if I just imagined it!). After what felt like an eternity I eventually managed to open my eyes and move my arms and everything was alright. Fell back asleep about an hour later and the same thing happened again ffs :lol:

Think you should go and get that checked today mate.

2343802_1822db0e.jpg

Seriously though, the ones involving the kids is the worst.

Watched my wife almost lose our baby this year and it still gives me the shakes when I think about it. All good now though and he is a healthy wee boy but truly terrifying at the time.

Think you should go and get that checked today mate.

Will see how it goes tonight, have had a look online and seems its pretty common.

I'm hoping it was just because of the amount of booze / lack of sleep over the weekend :lol:

Will see how it goes tonight, have had a look online and seems its pretty common.

I'm hoping it was just because of the amount of booze / lack of sleep over the weekend :lol:

Well that could certainly be contributing factors B)

Definitely the first time I met the sister-in-law. She looks like a cross between Jabba the Hut and Grotbags. Turns out she is pure concentrated evil as well.

Sounds like sleep paralysis?

Used to get it fairly regularly and it's ******* terrifying :(

Guest GhostHunter

Night Terrors.

Absolutely debilitating...

Yea looked into it and seems like it's something like that, better just be a one off! Can't be dealing with that shit every night, horrible.

The Wee Fella being admitted to the hospital and going undiagnosed for 3 days. Our G.P. checked him for meningitis before getting an Ambulance and taking him to the Western General. He was 15 at the time and was put in a single room but the Mrs stayed with him, both Grannies letting her get home for a few hours. Three of the longest days of my life. It turned out to be a throat infection. When he was compos mentis we said that I'd take the Mrs home and I'd come back and stay the night to give her a rest. He was having none of it though. Saying that if I stayed he get no sleep because of my snoring, so the poor wife was on the floor again that night.

I also had to do the choking thing with my daughter when she was about 3 and I dont know how but I was pretty calm about it and it came out first hit. There must have been something on the telly about it because I done the upside down thing. The scariest moment with her was the second visit to Drayton Manor Park. The first time she was just too small and I said that the next time we came I'd go on everything she could get on with her. She was tall enough for everything, nearly a whole day of looking at my eyelids. I used to have flash backs to my accident just before getting to sleep and sort of spasm and open my eyes just before it hit, Still occasionally get it but I get that day much more. Hate theme parks and from now on if the kids want to go to one they can go themselves.

Had a few :(

Contrary to popular belief I didn't grow up in one of the more salubrious suburbs of Glasgow, hard to believe, I know.

Aged 16, me and a few of my mates were out on a Saturday night boozing (party not pub) when we ended up in the wrong scheme at the wrong time on route home.

We were approached on our way up the road by a team of 7 or 8 and there was only 5 of us, a few boys were off like whippets as soon as they saw the crowd but being nearer the back, I didn't notice until it was too late. That left me and my mate Nicky who was more stupid than brave and was trying to encourage me not to run but to just stand my ground.

I sobered up pretty damn quick and tried to get him to come with me, despite knowing that he was a faster runner than me and that if it was any of us to get caught it'd be me.

As it turned out I hung around until my bottle crashed and then legged it, Nicky stood his ground and ended up with 61 stitches in his face and 14 in his stomach after being stabbed with a knife and slashed with a bottle.

Had nightmares for a few weeks after seeing him in hospital realising it was almost me if I hadn't legged it.

Second time around was when I was working casual on a Sunday morning for Mortons Rolls doing deliveries, it was about 2:30am on the morning of the Phil Stamp 2-1 derby and I skelped black ice at 50mph at Dalgety Bay and put a Luton Van 15 foot down an embankment missing a tree by about 6 inches as the weight of the van had caused it to sink in the grass.

Had to phone the cops after I had recovered from the shock and get winched out. Was fine for a bit afterwards and went to the game and had a ball, but come the Monday I started realising what I'd done.

Worst of the three was when the ex was in labour with Little Miss Floyd and had to get an emergency section as they couldn't find her heartbeat.

Was bricking it for 10 minutes outside and then when I got called in and the wee yin was delivered fine, i thought all was good, but then they had to take the ex away as she was loosing too much blood.

Went from thinking I'd lost my daughter, to then being told she was fine and getting her handed to me, to then seeing my ex being wheeled away and being told to leave the room without my daughter nearly pushed me over the edge.

All was good in the end, but I nearly shit myself twice over.

Pretty ashamed to admit it (we all make mistakes) but I took a massive line of cheap methedrone when it first came on the scene. Spent the next 40 minutes having the most surreal out of body experience convinced I was a goner, was truly terrifying. Never touched drugs since.

Sounds more like you had ketamine. Never heard of anyone having out of body experiences on mephedrone.

Sounds horrific! Just in case it ever happens again, patting a choking person on the back is the WORST thing you can do. Whatever is lodged in the person's throat is most likely to settle further down in the throat because of gravity. The Heimlich maneuver is right or, if it's a small child, hold her upside down and slap the back to make gravity work in your favour.

Not true. Back slaps are fine, you just need to lean the person forward.

1. Encourage coughing.

2. Up to 5 back slaps with the casualty leaning forward.

3. Up to 5 chest thrusts

Repeat 2&3 unless person becomes unconscious, in which case start CPR.

For babies, lean them at a 45 degree angle, supporting their head when doing back slaps.

Dangling babies fully upside down without head support (which is often what untrained people do) can cause neck injury.

Christian Benteke

:what:

Get to the doctors and get that checked.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Definitely the first time I met the sister-in-law. She looks like a cross between Jabba the Hut and Grotbags. Turns out she is pure concentrated evil as well.

I take it your other half doesn't read kickback otherwise you could be in for your scariest moment yet :veryangry:

Yea looked into it and seems like it's something like that, better just be a one off! Can't be dealing with that shit every night, horrible.

Does sound an awful lot like sleep paralysis. Nothing to really worry about mate, happens to almost everybody at least a few times.

Your brain decides it wants to wake up but the rest of your body isn't quite ready.

You probably imagined the shaking, and the sheer sense of terror is just because your brain isn't telling you that your body is still asleep, so you expect it to move and when it doesn't panic sets in.

Hard to remain calm considering you only reaslise it when you wake up and can't move, but it's still my advice. Shouldn't happen often and 95% of the time it's just one of those things, like pins and needles!

16 years old and working in my first real job in Dolcis shoes on Princes Street, 8.30 am putting shoes on the racks outside and turned round to see a man fall under the wheels of a truck from the island in the middle of the road, his head was squashed to a pulp, went into shock at the time and it lived with me for years, that was 35 years ago.

I once came flying over that wee brow as you approach Asda from Chesser. It was freshly snowing and I hadn't driven in snow and thought it was ok to be going at that speed. As I came over the car sort of lifted and as the full weight of it returned I completely lost control of the car. It spun round twice and then slammed against the kerb. I really thought I was going down that verge and through the fence toward the old Scotmid.

I was 17 and it was my mum and dads car.

Never ever told them that story.

:lol:

Yep it's fecking horrific.

And no matter how many times it happens, it's still as frightening the next time.

The Steven Hawkins like voice on the recorded results service from the GUM clinic! Was clean as a whistle but it would be bloody horrible having that computerised voice telling you that you had the clap (or worse)!

Does sound an awful lot like sleep paralysis. Nothing to really worry about mate, happens to almost everybody at least a few times.

Your brain decides it wants to wake up but the rest of your body isn't quite ready.

You probably imagined the shaking, and the sheer sense of terror is just because your brain isn't telling you that your body is still asleep, so you expect it to move and when it doesn't panic sets in.

Hard to remain calm considering you only reaslise it when you wake up and can't move, but it's still my advice. Shouldn't happen often and 95% of the time it's just one of those things, like pins and needles!

Thanks for the advice! Yea was a really strange feeling but I've spoken to a few people about it now and seems fairly common.

Thankfully I slept like a baby last night so am fairly hopeful it was just a one off :lol:

The Steven Hawkins like voice on the recorded results service from the GUM clinic! Was clean as a whistle but it would be bloody horrible having that computerised voice telling you that you had the clap (or worse)!

:lol:

Chlamydia.... Negative

Syphilis.... Negative

gonorrhea.... Negative

HIV............

Negative

THANK **** :lol:

Looks like you e looked it up already, but that sounds exactly like sleep paralysis to me. It's scary as ****.

The People's Chimp

The time I crashed an ex-vietnam war jeep into a guest house in the militarised zone of Cambodia was a moment of sheer 'oh FFS/Shit!!." Thinking you are going to bring down a row of houses, surrounded by soldiers who are already pretty nervous, in an area the FCO stay to stay out of, is fairly scary. Though it was only in that moment, then it was followed by a strange sort of calm as we were surrounded by bemused locals and an angry polis with a gun wanting to know how much I'd pay to repair his scooter which had been knocked over in the carnage.

The jeep was a heap of shit, the brakes had failed by the time we left Siem reap and we still had to drive it all the way to the North. A bit of the drive shaft sheared off and we had to stay in Anlong Ven, which was the last hideout of the khmer rouge, then the fuel hose melted, etc. The roads were still wild back then. What an adventure. We were arriving to this small town after dark and everywhere you looked you could see fires in the jungle, which were little campfires with soldiers around them. The whole area was full of these giant barracks and army vehicles everywhere.

As we came into the town we were surrounded by wee guys on motos wanting to get us to pay them to take us up this cliff road to the temple we were there to see, which sits on top of the cliff. It's the reason for the military as Cambodia and Thailand are essentially in a state of permanent conflict over who owns it. The long drive, the nick of the roads, the dust, the heat, all these wee guys wanting our business, were all taking their toll and then I lost concentration and wasn't really thinking about the brakes. "Just roll it down the front of the guesthouse and park up there" says my mate. By this point, everyone in the town/village had come out to see who the weird foreigners were in this shit heap jeep making a racket! No tourists ever go there so you can imagine we drew a bit of attention and a fairly big crowd.

I drove over and as I did the jeep just kept going and it was heading straight for this huge wooden guesthouse, with it connected to all the other buildings in this row, and with poles holding up all these buildings. I'm half in half out this jeep trying to dig into the ground to get some purchase, while pulling the wheel, then a boy gets in front and tries to hold it up, I'm thinking "this radge is gonna get squashed", it just keeps going, so I jumped back in and then managed to jerk the wheel enough it missed the main pole and managed to stop it just inside the entrance to this guesthouse.

Unfortunately I hit the last in a fairly large row of motorbikes knocking it over and breaking this wee indicator light. Surrounded by about 20 guys going tonto this cop steps up with his gun more than visible. :lol:

My mate who speaks Khmer had to spend an hour negotiating my payment for the broken light down to $150. :lol:

Smoked a few marlboros that night trying to calm myself down.

The jeep's final resting place:

oTXZ3Wm.jpg

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's between

Getting clipped on the hip by a car at about 50mph as I crossed the road between parked cars when I was 21.

Having a knife held to my throat by an older laddie when I was thirteen.

Running off and going down a water chute when I was about 8 and couldn't swim, and nearly drowning.

And...

Meeting my in-laws for the first time.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Someone once threatened to stab me in Germany. Scary night that was.

Looking back, I'm certain he was bluffing. Should have filled him in.

The Old Tolbooth

I was driving between Galashiels and Walkerburn going to see a client about their mortgage a few years ago now, and there's a straight just before you get to Walkerburn. This night I was driving up the straight and coming to the end of it and it was freezing conditions, and had also been sleet/rain, but it was so cold it was freezing on the road. Coming in the other direction was a fuel tanker who was not far away from me, lost the back end on the bend coming out of Walkerburn, and the back end of the lorry started to jackknife across the road right in front of me, as I watched this big chunk of metal (possibly filled with petrol/diesel) coming towards me I was thinking *oh shit! This is it!*, however somehow, and just in the nick of time, the lorry driver regained control and the lorry straightened up, but as I passed it, it was still wobbling from side to side. I had to stop in Walkerburn to scrape the shit out my boxers and regain my composure, the conditions that night were black ice and makes you think twice about respecting the road conditions as I have to admit I was hacking on a bit.

Imagine being at eye level with something like this coming toward you :1092:

MV5BMjIwODE1NzMwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc5MDU3MQ@@._V1._SX640_SY416_.jpg

As already said stuff involving kids is the most bone chilling...and I've had a few of these with my kids.

As for just myself....two that spring to mind both involve me being in hospital.

First, getting my spine straightened (from scoliosis) when i was 12. I was all cocky the day before the op saying it'd be a breeze and an hour before my nil by mouth sign went up the previous night I scoffed all the chocolate i had. Then I started thinkning about my op and the risk (albeit quite small) of being paralysed if the spinal cord was damaged. Kept thinking about it over and over....what if i wake up and I can't walk....what if i cant play football......these thoughts kept going round and round and round and started having a little freak out...spewed up all my chocolate and my nurse came in and could see that I was gripped by fear. Kept asking her what the chances were and did she think i should cancel the op. She then totally talked me back down over the next half hour...helped by the fact she was probably the tidiest woman I've ever seen. Op went fine and I got a "told you so" from her after.....and a bed bath a day later. :tt1:

Second time, in hospital aged 19. Had my large bowel taken out year before and this op was to get me reconnected (yup....had a colostomy bag for a year.....and yes it was feckin awful). Anyway...I'm on nil by mouth and the doc gives me a huge painkiller as I'm pretty sore a few days after the op. Says I have to take the pill without water, which i do only for it to get lodged behind the tube running up my nose and down the back of my throat. The sensation of being unable to breathe was weird at first...kinda slow motion-ish. Doc and nurse are talking at the bottom of my bed and I'm waving my arms like mad but they don't see me so I hit the doc with my plllow. It takes him a few seconds to recognise I'm choking, hauls me out of bed and is about to heimlich manouver when the nurse says "His stitches....you can't or you might tear them". Doc starts panicking and I'm now over a minute without breathing and my vision is starting to get grey at the edges like the lights are dimming and I'm thinking..."This is it.....I'm fecked". He then starts raining punches down on my back and finally this pill shoots out my mouth and I always remember that it rolled out my room and down the corridor. Pretty sure that was probably one of his scariest moments when he nearly killed a kid with a painkiller. He bought me a can of bru and a mars bar a week later to say sorry.

I was driving between Galashiels and Walkerburn going to see a client about their mortgage a few years ago now, and there's a straight just before you get to Walkerburn. This night I was driving up the straight and coming to the end of it and it was freezing conditions, and had also been sleet/rain, but it was so cold it was freezing on the road. Coming in the other direction was a fuel tanker who was not far away from me, lost the back end on the bend coming out of Walkerburn, and the back end of the lorry started to jackknife across the road right in front of me, as I watched this big chunk of metal (possibly filled with petrol/diesel) coming towards me I was thinking *oh shit! This is it!*, however somehow, and just in the nick of time, the lorry driver regained control and the lorry straightened up, but as I passed it, it was still wobbling from side to side. I had to stop in Walkerburn to scrape the shit out my boxers and regain my composure, the conditions that night were black ice and makes you think twice about respecting the road conditions as I have to admit I was hacking on a bit.

Imagine being at eye level with something like this coming toward you :1092:

MV5BMjIwODE1NzMwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc5MDU3MQ@@._V1._SX640_SY416_.jpg

Saw your name and expected to see the following words:

Internet

Chat Room

London

B Reg Gold BMW

Canary Wharf

Legging It out the boozer.

Gutted doesn't even begin to cover how I feel. :(

Archived