What's the scariest thing you've ever experienced?

feedtheroman2

Lots of random threads on kickback nowadays!

Mine would have have to be when I went to see st pauli play away at hansa rostock. This football rivalry puts rangers and Celtic to shame!

There is a few videos on YouTube of the last time the two clubs met. Basically, hansa rostock fans are utterly ridiculous. They threw pyrotechnics into the away fans and their 'ultras' threw hundreds of bananas on the page because of st paulis culture!

I will always remember it, knees were shaking uncontrollably haha!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I was the passenger in my friends car. As we approached a roundabout, a lorry was leaving the roundabout coming in the opposite direction. About 10 metres before we pased the lorry, we noticed a fire extinguisher come loose from under the truck and bounce down the road straight towards us. My friend had little or no time to react. The extinguisher battered straight through the front windscreen, spraying us both with glass and making us slide down a grass verge into a tree. Thankfully both our injuries were superficial but I swear for a good 2 weeks after it everytime I closed my eyes I could see the fire extinguisher heading for us then battering through the glass. Scary stuff.

Decompression on a plane an hour out of Bangor in Maine we were at 37000ft and dropped like a stone. We flew at 10000ft back to Bangor.

queensferryjambo

My 3 year old daughter choking. She started choking on a piece of strawberry - we always cut up fruit when they really young - for fear of them choking.

I was upstairs and my wife started shouting on me. I ran down stairs and my daughter was totally choking her face had turned colour and her lips had went blue. I tried the usual pats on the back but to no avail. Things got pretty seriously as her panic had inhibited her breathing as well. Eventually had to do the heimlich maneuver which you aren't really meant to do on kids that young. Didn't really work too well first couple of times - third time strawberry piece went flying across the room like a bullet and she could breath again.

It might not sound that scary but believe me when your kid can't breath and you are a few minutes in it is terrifying.

I have been in car crashes, been attacked, threatened by a knife, found black widow spiders at the pool when I lived in the US and other such risks to myself but none have been close to being so scared for a family member.

Not much to be honest.

One of the scariest must be when I was coming home one winter on the A68 on Sutra Hill.

Road was covered in inches of snow and my lane was not moving.

Big white van on the other side of the road totally lost control and was skidding towards my car. I had already shouted for my (pregnant) gf to "get the **** out of the car".

Thankfully the van regained control/ stopped just before us.

**** OFF :sob:

Surely that is a walk in the park after 19/05/12?

On phone or would have added a smiley

Doing fieldwork in northern Manitoba a polar bear popped it's head out from behind a bush not 15m from us. And then it's cubs appeared. Ma and cubs, worst combination.

I fully expect something better from ArcticJambo though :)

Doing fieldwork in northern Manitoba a polar bear popped it's head out from behind a bush not 15m from us. And then it's cubs appeared. Ma and cubs, worst combination.

I fully expect something better from ArcticJambo though :)

Going from some of his stories, he's most likely got a similar one except in his he stoves the bears head in with his rifle butt before clubbing the cubs and cooking them. He's probably the scariest thing in the Arctic!

Malcolm Tucker

Taking a Sat-Nav route in Corsica to get from Ajaccio (west Corsica) to Ghisonaccia (east Corsica) at about 2 in the morning after a ferry journey.

Corsica, if you're not aware, is essentially one big ****-off mountain range in the middle of the Med. we started following the Sat-Nav, as anyone who doesn't know the island would do. It was a long wheel base van we were in. Me in the passenger seat, my mate in the middle, and some Dutch crackpot with ADHD driving.

We start hitting some fairly narrow roads, but persevere coz the Sat-Nav is telling us to. Skip an hour and we've lost the other cars from our group, we have no signal to call anyone, and we are essentially half way up Monto d'Oro (highest mountain in Corsica) on what was basically a loose gravel road with no safety barriers whatsoever. Just an endless drop on one side of the van. My side to be precise.

We got to above the clouds and that Dutch prick decided it would be fun to switch the lights off and drive using the moonlight. I couldn't see any road anymore, just a drop to the clouds out my window. Me and my mate started screaming at the dick to put the lights back on. They didn't go back on.

We had to stop the engine completely, restart and see what happens. Lights came back on. Van no longer had ABS. We made our way back down from the peak soon after. It went much the same.

Lessons: never trust sat-nav, and don't trust Dutch folk with ADHD.

Dutch lad didn't last long working with us.

Thinking I'd sent an e-mail meant for a mate to the entire company. Thankfully I didn't but those few seconds before I managed to check my sent messages definitely took a few years off my life!!

Christian Benteke

Surely that is a walk in the park after 19/05/12?

On phone or would have added a smiley

Give me that over that ******* picture any day of the week.

Flying through a hurricane on the way home from Toronto a few years back.How planes can deal with the turbulence we experienced that night is beyond me.To top it all off Glasgow airport was fogbound,so our landing was aborted.We circled for 30 minutes and were informed that we'd try once more and then head to Prestwick if unsuccessful,we made it 2nd time but it wasn't pretty.

I'd been working with a colleague when around 3pm our gaffer turned up and asked for 2 people to go through to Loch Lomond.

The Polaroid factory had been shut down due to someone being electrocuted so me and a colleague had to go out and test everything.

We got there at 5pm, bearing in mind we'd worked a full day on another job. We finished at 7am and had worked nearly 23 hours bar travelling and breaks etc.

On our way back along the M8 I'd fallen asleep and woke with my head against the window. I turned to my colleague who was driving however his head was slumped against the window and he was asleep. I then realised the car was in a spin and I screamed like a girl and grabbed him. He woke up, grabbed the wheel and the car slammed into the crash barrier then spun off the other side into a ditch.

Luckily the nearest vehicle behind us was a huge lorry and he noticed something was up and managed to get everyone to slow down behind us. The police were there really quickly but they said that the lorry had contacted them a few miles back! Was really lucky to walk away from it but the biggest thing which stuck in my mind was my colleague attempting to grab the wheel whilst I was trying to grab him and was screaming like like a woman!

Last summer, I went to a place in the hills above Madrid. The train line terminates there, so I got out and walked to the end of the platform, where there are stairs that take you up into the hills. I intended to follow a path parallel to the trainline back to the previous station. I had got up the stairs (there are maybe 15) and had been walking for about 20 seconds when I heard a sudden rustle behind me to the right. I turned round and it was a fecking bull!! A proper big f-off bull with horns curved forward. I think we saw each other more or less simultaneously (this is on public land, not a farm or anything). It looked very alert and took two steps towards me. I started to shite myself. About 10 yards away there was the foundations and the walls cut at ground level of an abandoned house, so I thought I'd jump in there, then I feared I wouldn't be able to get back out. I eventually walked about 20 yards back, starting filming the fecker and it eventually walked away. I took a long D-tour much higher up the mountain to avoid it. I cut the day short when I found a herd of bulls in the forest (thankfully they were wearing cowbells and I heard them from a good way off).

Another time I was crossing the road in Madrid and a guy came running out a building, followed a couple of seconds later by two policemen. One of the cops dropped his gun and I had instant images of getting shot.

I've been threatened by miserable, defeated Hobos three times: once after the de Vries 5-1, once after the 3-2 on Boxing Day 2006 and once in Newington Road. The Boxing Day one was the worst. I was walking east along Gorgie Road singing "Zibby's a jambo!" when this big fecker, maybe 6'4", came over and threatening me and I am certain he was about to smack me. At the last minute, a proper Hearts man intervened and pushed him away. I resumed the taunt when I passed a load of police, who had done feck all during the incident.

If you were that man, thanks a lot!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Landing at JFK in a thunder storm with the plane bouncing around like a rubber ball springs to mind.

Doctor FinnBarr

Landing at JFK in a thunder storm with the plane bouncing around like a rubber ball springs to mind.

As does taking off from Reus during an electric/thunder storm

All roads lead to Gorgie

As does taking off from Reus during an electric/thunder storm

They say lightning doesn't effect an aircraft but the turbulence sure makes for a scary ride.

Doctor FinnBarr

They say lightning doesn't effect an aircraft but the turbulence sure makes for a scary ride.

It was ok after the few minutes it took us to get through the clouds but until then......

All roads lead to Gorgie

It was ok after the few minutes it took us to get through the clouds but until then......

Funny how turbulence always happens at mealtimes or when I have to go for a pish.

Shanks said no

For the younger readers an explanation - in the early 80's before cheap flights were the norm you could board a bus at St Andrew's Sq and be driven almost non stop to the South of France. It was described as a 17 day holiday, 36 hours travelling there and 36 hours back. Anyway. We were driving through France on the way back, by which point the drivers had already driven down there, there were at least 2. It was the middle of the night and I had the radio on listening to a Bruno big fight, most of the bus was sound asleep, driver fell asleep, the bus started to cross lane after lane of the French superhighway and clipped the central reservation before bouncing off and going across again, when the screaming passengers woke him out of his stupor. Apart from damage to the coach and a few passengers who were cut and bruised by things falling off we escaped very lightly. Strangest memory I have of it though is that I threw myself over my wife to protect her, must have been in love then, unsure what I would do now!

I was on an internal flight in Canada between Calgary and Winnipeg. We hit turbulence for an hour of the flight. I love flying, but that small Embraer jet was thrown around the sky in a way that even the flight crew hadn't experienced on the route.

As an epileptic, the other scary thing is gradually coming to after a seizure. Not knowing who you are, where you are, how you got there, who is round you, not to mention trying to figure out any injuries. The weirdest thing is being able to remember how absolutely out of it and scared you were if that makes sense.

I was on an internal flight in Canada between Calgary and Winnipeg. We hit turbulence for an hour of the flight. I love flying, but that small Embraer jet was thrown around the sky in a way that even the flight crew hadn't experienced on the route.

As an epileptic, the other scary thing is gradually coming to after a seizure. Not knowing who you are, where you are, how you got there, who is round you, not to mention trying to figure out any injuries. The weirdest thing is being able to remember later how absolutely out of it and scared you were if that makes sense. The brain is a weird thing.

Malcolm Tucker

Was on the train between St. Raphael and Monaco, just about 5 mins outside of Nice. The trainline runs parallel to a dual carriageway and on the other side of that is the airport.

I was in the 3rd carriage reading my book when I heard the train blast it's horn about 8 times and then come to an abrupt halt. Had a wee peak out the window, only to see two guys in full army gear pointing their machine guns at the train. This was closely followed by about 10 police cars slamming it down the dual carriageway and stopping. Policemen opening the doors and drawing their guns.

Didn't have a clue what was happening, and a bunch of French folk screaming "terrorism! terrorism!" didn't really help matters. Police were shouting in the windows for us to all remain seated. Heard the army dudes say (I speak basic French) "il est mort" a few times, which translates as "he's deid".

Turns out some laddie was on the run something serious, and got cut in two by our train. He was armed which explains the whole army machine-gun patter. It was a situation that, at the sight of armed military, was fairly terrifying.

Police/ambulance didn't bother really covering up the body as well. Legs taken away in a bag, body on the stretcher, half covered. Could see the dead guys face and arms. Pretty haunting.

Had a lovely day in Monaco eventually, though. I recommend you visit.

My 3 year old daughter choking. She started choking on a piece of strawberry - we always cut up fruit when they really young - for fear of them choking.

I was upstairs and my wife started shouting on me. I ran down stairs and my daughter was totally choking her face had turned colour and her lips had went blue. I tried the usual pats on the back but to no avail. Things got pretty seriously as her panic had inhibited her breathing as well. Eventually had to do the heimlich maneuver which you aren't really meant to do on kids that young. Didn't really work too well first couple of times - third time strawberry piece went flying across the room like a bullet and she could breath again.

It might not sound that scary but believe me when your kid can't breath and you are a few minutes in it is terrifying.

I have been in car crashes, been attacked, threatened by a knife, found black widow spiders at the pool when I lived in the US and other such risks to myself but none have been close to being so scared for a family member.

Sounds horrific! Just in case it ever happens again, patting a choking person on the back is the WORST thing you can do. Whatever is lodged in the person's throat is most likely to settle further down in the throat because of gravity. The Heimlich maneuver is right or, if it's a small child, hold her upside down and slap the back to make gravity work in your favour.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Had a few moments in my life, some self inflicted like jumping out a plane at 15,000 ft ( with a parachute), however, the one that sticks with me is from when I was 13, 25 years ago.i used to be a paper boy in West Linton and my route included the houses on the main road as you leave the village heading to Biggar. One morning it was icy and I came up the steps by the church as per usual, as I neared the top a bus went by heading west, seconds later and arctic lorry came round the corner towards Edinburgh, skidded and smashed into the back of the bus, the lorry careered towards where I was and toppled over, about 10 ft from me. The back of the bus was totally smashed in and the lorry driver was crushed to death in his cab. I was totally unharmed and after the police and ambulances arrived and I'd been spoken to I carried on and delivered the rest of my papers. It was only later that I began shaking and greeting, if that lorry hadn't toppled when it did, it would have hit me. All the above happened in a matter of seconds but I still get chills thinking about it.

My daughter was very ill 4 years ago. I have never been as frightened and powerless in my puff. She's grand now but it was f'n dreadful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Pretty ashamed to admit it (we all make mistakes) but I took a massive line of cheap methedrone when it first came on the scene. Spent the next 40 minutes having the most surreal out of body experience convinced I was a goner, was truly terrifying. Never touched drugs since.

Guest GhostHunter

A few spring to mind...

Doing my charity parachute jump at Strathallen, sitting on the edge of the plane looking down and waiting for the Go had me puckering up tight enough to squeeze a diamond out of a lump of coal...

Getting a flight in a Red Arrow and puking from the minute it took off until it landed - I thought my stomach was coming out of my mouth....

5 minutes before kickoff on 19/05

Being the first on the scene after a Pollock truck had run over an old boy on the M8 and having to check if he was still alive...

Sounds horrific! Just in case it ever happens again, patting a choking person on the back is the WORST thing you can do. Whatever is lodged in the person's throat is most likely to settle further down in the throat because of gravity. The Heimlich maneuver is right or, if it's a small child, hold her upside down and slap the back to make gravity work in your favour.

Had to do this in a restaurant in Cyprus, ended up getting a round of applause from all the punters in there when the bit of carrot flew out onto the floor :lol:

All roads lead to Gorgie

A few years ago I set out to cross the hills from Glen Doll to Braemar. There is a path called Jocks Road which should be easy to follow but in the mist I strayed off it and got totally lost. Now I am normally good with the compass by that day I got complacent and ended having to spend a freezing night in a bivi bag. I was more worried about explaining to a rescue crew my stupidity no one was aware what I was up to anyway. At first light I realised how close I had come the edge of a precipice. That was a little bit scary.

I was going from Manikaran to Tosh Village in Northern India in a circa 1950s bus overnight. We were in the Himalayan foothills and climbing rapidly.

Our driver seemed unaffected by the 300ft ravines either side of us as he took every corner at at least 40mph. Passengers were being sick out the window and everything. If you looked you could see rubble tumbling down the mountain after every turn.

I looked out the window to try and distract myself. We start to go round a ridiculously narrow turn in pitch darkness and I see another bus coming the other way. We're on the outside lane and I notice we aren't slowing down. I look forward to see our own driver being sick out his window while hurtling towards this other bus, oblivious to it.

We somehow got past and made it safely. We had some ******* scary moments on the roads there (driving the wrong way on motorways etc) but I honestly thought that it was it for me that night.

Doing a Greyfriars Bobby in the Hunter Square public toilets a few years back.......

Its junkie central and a few days before i went to let go of my noisy chocolate hostage, a workmate of mine went for one and had the cubicle door booted in by the police who thought a junkie was inside shooting up or stashing drugs! lol It was a scene straight out of the Carry On films as my mate hurriedly wheeked up his troosers in shock .....haha

Archived