Putin - Britain is a small island no one pays attention to

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Folk thinking Britain isn't a third teir power. We're barely the third most influential country in Europe. Germany and france frequently pisstake us when it comes to europe.

Was always the intention from coal and steel community days!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The French! That's another lot I'd march over the hills and far away for King George to get my hands on :dry:

international dick measuring contests are really tiresome at the time. lots of fun to look back on in history with the benefit of hindsight but they're just embarrassing to live through.

A year or two ago the BBC aired a documentary series called "Putin, Russia and the West".

It was excellent and watching it made me realise how great an opportunity the West lost due to US chauvinsim and hawkishness.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A year or two ago the BBC aired a documentary series called "Putin, Russia and the West".

It was excellent and watching it made me realise how great an opportunity the West lost due to US chauvinsim and hawkishness.

:laugh:

Yes, I like to queue for potatoes as well!

Better call Saul

Do you know how many nukes it would take to render this tiny island uninhabitable?

Not many. You keep that in mind.

This !

We have ony four nuclear subs with only one at sea in active service at any one time ( I believe ) Britain woudnt scratch the surface if it even was thinkable about attacking Russia !!!! Further more we no doubt would be able to launch without the USA says so !

The Real Maroonblood

I was over in Russia recently and they are doing a fine job killing themselves! The average Russian smokes over 2700 cigarettes a year :lol:

That must be on a par with Glasgow.

:laugh:

Yes, I like to queue for potatoes as well!

Childhood memories, Geoff?

Only teasing.

Not sure if you have watched the series, but interviewing the likes of Putin, Medvedev, Condaleeza Rice etc Was really good and after 9/11, the US & Russia could really (should really) have been more united. Of well, opportunity lost.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Childhood memories, Geoff?

Only teasing.

Not sure if you have watched the series, but interviewing the likes of Putin, Medvedev, Condaleeza Rice etc Was really good and after 9/11, the US & Russia could really (should really) have been more united. Of well, opportunity lost.

Given that the only reasons the Russians would show a semblance of interest in any kind of relationship with the States are (i) to protect the rouble from another currency crisis such as that of 1998 and (ii) freedom to attack rebels in Chechnya and other places, I think the Septic hawkishness can be justified.

Yashin was no match for Cruikshank and Putin knows it.

That's why he is always so pissed off about everything.

Given that the only reasons the Russians would show a semblance of interest in any kind of relationship with the States are (i) to protect the rouble from another currency crisis such as that of 1998 and (ii) freedom to attack rebels in Chechnya and other places, I think the Septic hawkishness can be justified.

Double standards by the US imo, given their "war on terror".

Islamic fundamentalism affects Russia too. It was a great opportunity to create a better bulwark against it.

US policy to Georgia, for example, was misplaced, again imo.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Double standards by the US imo, given their "war on terror".

Islamic fundamentalism affects Russia too. It was a great opportunity to create a better bulwark against it.

US policy to Georgia, for example, was misplaced, again imo.

Double standards in politics? :wow:

Britain is like the scrawny special needs kid who hung around with the bully (USA) for self esteem.

Now some people on here think we can defeat the other bully (Russia).

That's some Hibs level delusion right there.

Great Britain own The United States of America! Swap 4th July independence day for "Leasehold" Boom.

America sucks everything...we just wait and see.

Not quite no-one

?Britain is a small island - nobody pays any attention to them apart from Russian oligarchs who have bought up Chelsea,? said a spokesman for the Russian President Vladimir Putin, Syria?s closest ally

:lol:

Sounds like he's just trying to put the shiters up Abramovich.

Britain is full of wankors who are quick to run down their own country. Quite a few on here .

It's the same people who want Britain to reduce arms etc then go on to slag how weak we may be in the military department? Aye?

Maiden Gorgie

Is Berwick-on-Tweed not still officially at war with Russia? Seem to remember it was on QI once

Britain is full of wankors who are quick to run down their own country. Quite a few on here .

It's the same people who want Britain to reduce arms etc then go on to slag how weak we may be in the military department? Aye?

:cornette:

Time for us to enter a period of splenid isolation if you ask me. Let the Yanks,the Ruskies, the Frogs, the Huns and who ever else get on with ruining the world. Lets take the first real step by removing ourselves from the EU! We can all sit backand sneer and snipe at everyone else then.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Cameron's response to this was to boast that Britain invented almost every sport in the world.

:cornette:

What a prick.

Is Berwick-on-Tweed not still officially at war with Russia? Seem to remember it was on QI once

urban myth I'm afraid

Quoting Richard II - "...this sceptered isle, this England..."

I reckon Putin's getting a hard time if he's taking the piss out of a trumpet that doesn't realise which country he is actually PM off!

It is indeed interesting that Cameron's fit of pique has brought out this rag-bag of assertions, spurious claims and mind-boggling insensivity. I'm always amazed by how little I can identify with the picture of Britain painted for us by the likes of Cameron. On the plus side, at least there were no direct references to village greens, warm beer and the thwack of leather on willow.

It is indeed interesting that Cameron's fit of pique has brought out this rag-bag of assertions, spurious claims and mind-boggling insensivity. I'm always amazed by how little I can identify with the picture of Britain painted for us by the likes of Cameron. On the plus side, at least there were no direct references to village greens, warm beer and the thwack of leather on willow.

That's being an issue for generations on leaders and their visions of their nation not meetin the peoples.

MacMillan, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major and after 2001 Blair and then Brown. Just a long line of folk with not a clue as to what the people are like. Even Salmond kinda seems out of step with Scotland at times. It's just what happens with leaders.

That's being an issue for generations on leaders and their visions of their nation not meetin the peoples.

MacMillan, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major and after 2001 Blair and then Brown. Just a long line of folk with not a clue as to what the people are like. Even Salmond kinda seems out of step with Scotland at times. It's just what happens with leaders.

A lot of his assertions are just plain wrong, though. He doesn't know his facts and consequently comes across as just another jingoistic Little Englander. Every major sport played worldwide was invented in Britain? Try telling that to the countless millions around the world who play basketball, handball and volleyball. Is he claiming tennis too? Elgar revered as a major composer everywhere in the world? I think Mr Cameron spent a little too much time listening to Land Of Hope And Glory and playing rugby at whatever public school he went to when he should have been reading about the big, wide world.

Not in my name etc.

A lot of his assertions are just plain wrong, though. He doesn't know his facts and consequently comes across as just another jingoistic Little Englander. Every major sport played worldwide was invented in Britain? Try telling that to the countless millions around the world who play basketball, handball and volleyball. Is he claiming tennis too? Elgar revered as a major composer everywhere in the world? I think Mr Cameron spent a little too much time listening to Land Of Hope And Glory and playing rugby at whatever public school he went to when he should have been reading about the big, wide world.

Not in my name etc.

I agree with your point. I just think it's nothing new.

Still hurting that Russia lost the Cold War. :smuggy:

Some may argue that Russia moved on, unfortunately the US did quite the opposite.

The French! That's another lot I'd march over the hills and far away for King George to get my hands on :dry:

. Easyjet Edinburgh to Paris is your best bet. That way you'll be fresh when you get there.

Alba gu Brath

He's wrong.

What he means is that GB is a jumped up former colonial power who acts the poodle to the Yank's world-polisman that other nations dislike because of many reasons including English fitba thugs and Tony Blair. Hell, we can't even fire our nukes without getting permission from Washington.

We can't even boss Europe never mind the world. We're a bawhair behind Greece and Portugal in the debt stakes.

I look forward to the day when England and Scotland can just get on with their own matters, looking after their ane without adopting the small-man syndrome (but only when big bro Yank stands behind us).

Worrying about a dictator's words.

A man who has ensured he and his cronies get rich quick and who somehow finds many of his enemies jailed , exiled or dying.

A man who has ensured he and his cronies get rich quick and who somehow finds many of his enemies jailed , exiled or dying.

. Exactly, those who are fawning on this monsters words should hang their heads in shame.

Alba gu Brath

Cameron? He was elected though... kind of. Though to be fair I think Putin's vote dwarfed the Eton boy's.

The Real Maroonblood

What about Putin?

Beaten by Finland in a war. :biker:

If you're referring to the Winter War of 1939/1940, Finland lost. But they did inflict heavy casualties on the Russians and retained their sovereignty, which was a remarkable achievement for a tiny nation.

If you're referring to the Winter War of 1939/1940, Finland lost. But they did inflict heavy casualties on the Russians and retained their sovereignty, which was a remarkable achievement for a tiny nation.

Correct. Britain, meanwhile, lost a war to Iceland. That's Iceland, for heavens sake.

Correct. Britain, meanwhile, lost a war to Iceland. That's Iceland, for heavens sake.

Worth noting that all Russia's top Generals/Army men had been executed/sent to the salt mines by that point as well.

Strange man was Stalin.

Worth noting that all Russia's top Generals/Army men had been executed/sent to the salt mines by that point as well.

Strange man was Stalin.

EDIT: Never mind. :)

Archived