well done Gorgie Hearts

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Gorgie Hearts tough it out for first prize;)

GORGIE Hearts founder and team boss Shaun Gibson could not contain his joy at seeing his side win their first piece of silverware in the Lothian & Edinburgh Amateur FA after they beat Dynamo Whitburn 1-0 in a very tough Dunedin Cup final at Patie's Road.

A few weeks ago, Gorgie lost a late goal to lose 1-0 to Bo'ness in a cup final at Saughton Enclosure, but it was the turn of Gibson's team to notch a late winner against an uncompromising Whitburn side ? and how the Edinburgh club's contingent enjoye

ADVERTISEMENT

d their moment of triumph.

The tough-tackling and well organised Whitburn defence were posted missing when a brilliant free kick from the left was sent hurtling into the danger area in the 81st minute and the ball landed perfectly for the unmarked Brendan McCarron to place a great shot past keeper Alistair Neally in to the corner of the net.

The celebrations among the Gorgie Hearts players on the pitch were matched by the scenes of unbridled joy from Gibson, the team coaches, officials and fans on the touchlines!

It was a moment of sheer magic to see how much this goal meant to the Edinburgh club. The Gorgie side had to go through the pain barrier in this game, however, and the goal, coming when it did, helped compensate for all the knocks their players picked up from the no-nonsense tackling from their fired-up opponents.

On a lovely sunny night, this final will not be remembered for the quality of football. The tackles were spectacular, the language from the players was blistering and in the midst of it all was a very hard-working and sorely pressed referee in Kenny Swan. The official fully earned his match fee and, given the intensity of the play, he was helped massively by two good assistants on the touchlines.

Gorgie skipper, Ian Binning, led by example in his central defensive role, and it was he who inspired all those around him to virtually put themselves in the firing line in the rousing exchanges throughout the game. The only thing this game really lacked was goals.

Chances were created at both ends but the respective defences were quick to close down any danger in both goalmouths ? and that is being economical with the truth.

It took great bravery/stupidity to linger on the ball in either goalmouth! Dynamo Whitburn had the game's outstanding player in defender Barry Morton, but this very fit side could have benefited from playing a lot more passes to feet instead of the battering ram tactics they used in a bid to break down the well-organised Gorgie rearguard.

The Edinburgh club's defenders were a match for everything their opponents threw at them.

The first half was remarkable in that no one was injured in the physical exchanges and Gorgie Hearts were unable to play their usual passing game, instead they were caught up in moving the ball quickly from back to front.

It was that type of first half and neither side was able to produce the goal that would have opened play up.

The main danger to the Gorgie defence came from the guided missile free-kicks from Morton.

The second half produced a lot more running and passing from both sides, with Gorgie looking that wee bit more composed on the ball, while the level of energy and commitment from the Whitburn players had to be seen to be believed.

Daniel Burns went close to notching the opening goal for Gorgie, and Whitburn replied with a superb move involving Kenny Leitch and Alan Chalmers, but the Edinburgh side managed to put the ball behind for a corner. The Whitburn keeper had to come off his line in the second half to clear dangerous through balls and McCarron was flattened in one aerial challenge in the Whitburn goalmouth.

Gorgie stepped up the attacks on their opponents' goal and the West Lothian combine were forced to hit on the break. They did not manage to break down the resolute Gorgie defence, however. As the game progressed, several players went down with cramp and the feeling among the spectators was that a goal had to come ? and it did, nine minutes from full time.

The remaining minutes were frantic and exciting, but Gorgie held on to their one-goal lead to lift the silverware.

There were several off-the-ball incidents in this final, the worst coming in the first half when a Gorgie player was on the receiving end of what looked like a punch from an opponent. The Whitburn player involved in this incident was also involved in what can only be described as disgraceful behaviour at the presentation ceremony.

Shortly after Morton was presented with the man-of-the-match award, the player who threw the punch accepted his lovely medal in a velvet case from the L&EAFA president, Charles Gallacher, turned round and hurled the case and medal away towards the main building.

It was retrieved by an official of the association and the player involved will be disciplined for his lack of respect and sportsmanship. But the presentation of the massive cup and individual awards to the Gorgie squad sparked off a very different response ? one of total joy and jubilation. An emotional Gibson said: "At last, we have won our first cup. It is a great feeling and it was the effort of all our players that made this possible."

The big man refused to let go of the cup and he wanted his family to have their picture taken with it :107years:? along with everyone else at Patie's Road.

good on the lads , WELL DONE BOYS. GORGIE RULES.:107years:

ginger jambo98

Was the Gorgie Hearts gaffer not a wind-up merchant on here posting under the name Bawjaws - Tool !

Fair play to the team though, not easy to win cups in the LEAFA.

Jimbo's A Jambo
Was the Gorgie Hearts gaffer not a wind-up merchant on here posting under the name Bawjaws - Tool !

yeah well done.

was he not called gaffer also? youre correct about him being a tool though!

anyway is this not ment to be in the shed?

whats its relevance to heart of midlothian FC?

Guest JamboRobbo
Was the Gorgie Hearts gaffer not a wind-up merchant on here posting under the name Bawjaws

Yep. Celtic fan and total wind up merchant. Think he got banned then returned under various guises.

although it as no relevance to HMFC, this team were formed by guys from the original kickback 4/5 years ago,kicking a ball about the meadows,then doing 2yrs in sunday football, moved to saturday football, now in our second season,

having just won our league cup we now hopefully go on to win the league,

starting tonight against civil service, we need 1 point from our last three games,

maroonlegions
although it as no relevance to HMFC, this team were formed by guys from the original kickback 4/5 years ago,kicking a ball about the meadows,then doing 2yrs in sunday football, moved to saturday football, now in our second season,

having just won our league cup we now hopefully go on to win the league,

starting tonight against civil service, we need 1 point from our last three games,

nice to know that info, any team who calls themselves GORGIE HEARTS has my backing , hope you get the points mate.

Legend Claws

As one of the original members of the team I am well chuffed for them!

Good luck next season.

yeah well done.

was he not called gaffer also? youre correct about him being a tool though!

anyway is this not ment to be in the shed?

whats its relevance to heart of midlothian FC?

Yep. Celtic fan and total wind up merchant. Think he got banned then returned under various guises.

Clearly you guys have never had the pleasure of meeting Shaun then huh.

Top guy, and the work he's put in to Gorgie Hearts over the last few years is outstanding. The set up they have there these days is VERY impressive.

Yes, he's a Celtic fan - I doubt he'd even deny that to be honest. There's no hiding the roots of the team though and I think they deserve each and every one of the conrgatulations they recieve on here.

Certainly a thread far more relevant to HMFC than half the Celtic / Rangers guff that gets spouted on here thats for sure.

Anyways - well done Shaun and all the guys who are at the club these days!

As one of the original members of the team I am well chuffed for them!

Good luck next season.

Old Skool!

;)

Well done on winning the league too!!!

Nelly Terraces

I kinda like the fact that a jungle jim is managing a team called Gorgie Hearts. Sounds like there's a Hearts man underneath the ceptic exterior trying to get out.

championies !!!!!!

well i am he. Gaffa.

yes, im a celtic fan, but in fairness, im more a Gorgie Hearts fan

thanks for the words.

few ex players here, hope you are all doing ok.

to win the Double in our 2nd season is fantastic.

any good players looking for a team for next season.

thanks lads.

You still doing a sunday team as well shaun?

no.

they have renamed themselfs Pentland Thistle.

cracking setup there. DK (Formally of Kickback) and Chris Smith doing that.

i say anyone wanting to play sundays, should go there.

they changed thier name for a good reasons, main one was getting a home park.

we are still close, Gorgie and Pentland

Guest JamboRobbo
Clearly you guys have never had the pleasure of meeting Shaun then huh.

Nope, just read his posts on here which got him repeatedly suspended then banned, which was what I was commenting on.

Nope, just read his posts on here which got him repeatedly suspended then banned, which was what I was commenting on.

Ill happily admit i am him.

was on the Old board tho.

in fairness i was a windup merchant, but it was all in fun

certainly to busy to kickstart that habit.

speedbump
championies !!!!!!

well i am he. Gaffa.

yes, im a celtic fan, but in fairness, im more a Gorgie Hearts fan

thanks for the words.

few ex players here, hope you are all doing ok.

to win the Double in our 2nd season is fantastic.

any good players looking for a team for next season.

thanks lads.

Well done bigman, from another large manager:confused:;)

dublin-Jambo

Pretty decent website that would put some professional clubs to shame - good Job..

Pretty decent website that would put some professional clubs to shame - good Job..

None of us will make pro etc, so our aim is to set ourselfs up to be the very best we can. on and off the park.

as i say, we are recruiting now, for next season

Trials start early June.

Well done Shaun. You deserve it mate.

A long way from the Meadows, eh?

haha, aye !!

had laidlaw saying the same thing last week.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Were you bawjaws on an old KB?!

I seem to remember you going on about having the chance to be a Hearts coach!

Anyway well done, sounds like you have progressed massively in a short time. :)

Prince Buaben
no.

they have renamed themselfs Pentland Thistle.

cracking setup there. DK (Formally of Kickback) and Chris Smith doing that.

i say anyone wanting to play sundays, should go there.

they changed thier name for a good reasons, main one was getting a home park.

we are still close, Gorgie and Pentland

Rather than start a new thread how they get on in there Semi final on sunday??

Well done by the way.

Rather than start a new thread how they get on in there Semi final on sunday??

Well done by the way.

got beat 4-2 i think.

hthejambo

Just had to come online to say that new hibs away top is truly grotesque it will givew me nightmares

Archived