Foulkes reveals his regret over Romanov

Sherlock

Foulkes reveals his regret over Romanov

FORMER Hearts chairman George Foulkes has spoken of his regret at the role he played in welcoming Vladimir Romanov to power at Tynecastle, but said he would not apologise as there was "no other obvious choice" to save the club at the time.

Foulkes has been a fierce critic of the Hearts regime in recent weeks, calling on Romanov to appoint a permanent manager, open lines of communication with frustrated supporters, and improve an underachieving Tynecastle side.

But Foulkes has been stung by questions over the role he played in helping Romanov become the club's majority shareholder, and now admits he harbours regrets.

Writing in his newspaper column in the Evening News, Foulkes said: "I am acutely aware of my role – with others – in attracting Vladimir Romanov to Tynecastle and all that followed. I have not, and will not apologise for that either, because there was no other obvious choice. The demolition trucks were all but rolling in under the ownership of Chris Robinson.

"Do I regret the way things have turned out? Absolutely. But tell me, what would you have done? Allowed Hearts to lose their home and potentially go to the wall? Being in a position to try and help, I was damned if I was going to sit back and watch that happen. "Maybe it was the wrong decision, but it felt like the right thing to do."

Foulkes insisted that he still believed Romanov could turn the club's fortunes around, but added: "I am angry most of all at Vladimir Romanov for letting us, and letting me down in such a horrific way. We instilled so much faith in him and his inner circle that it feels like being jilted at the altar."

Buffalo Bill

I think Romanov has this summer to save it before things turn rather nasty.

I don't believe the fans will stand for much more of this.

Buffalo Bill

Bootboy100

Buffalo Bill

Totally agree BB this is last chance saloon for all concerned at Hearts.

I have renewed this year however I am very much aware if things do not improve considerably then I wont be doing the same next year and I am sure there are many more fans in the same boat.

jack D and coke

It doesn't matter what happens imo there's always someone who tries to justify his actions or makes excuses or blames the players/Frail blah blah.

Romanov has done more bad things to Hearts than good imo.

He kept us at Tynecastle and thats about it as far as i'm concerned.

When you think back with all things he did in the past like turning up at that womans door with flowers when her son died and getting in with fans at Livvy he was taking us for mugs and boy did we bite.

Absolute dick.

championsleaguefan

He will look rather silly if the new stand and hotel are built and the team is improved in the time frame Romanov set out of 5 years.

speedbump
He will look rather silly if the new stand and hotel are built and the team is improved in the time frame Romanov set out of 5 years.

:oopsoops::oopsoops::oopsoops::oopsoops::oopsoops:

John Findlay

I am amazed by the number of politicians who have that wisdom called hindsight.

John

He never set out a time frame of 5 years, it was 3 years.

That was nearly 3 years ago.

I am amazed by the number of politicians who have that wisdom called hindsight.

Where does hindsight fit in with the article?

John Findlay
Where does hindsight fit in with the article?

Well you obviously dont have it.

John

Nelly Terraces

Foulkes shouldn't blame himself. We wer all suckered bny the Lithumaniac.

The time has long since passed for active protest, so we, or should I say, a large percentage of the HMFC support who are totally lame, are getting their just rewards.

Nelly Terraces
Well you obviously dont have it.

John

Looking back, I can now see I thought you would say that.:)

Buffalo Bill

The one hope I have is that Romanov sees what a ****** up he's made of it, and that he now makes true his Jan 1st promise.

It is a very slim hope, but I'll see what happens in the summer.

I actually don't think the time for protest has arrived. It would be more effective for it to simply unravel in front of him.

Let his shame be deliverance.

Buffalo Bill

The problem I have with Romanov is that I can't trust him. Even if things start to go well next season, I wouldn't be surprised if it all imploded again.

cyanide_cid
The one hope I have is that Romanov sees what a ****** up he's made of it, and that he now makes true his Jan 1st promise.

How many times have we all said something along these lines now???

"I will give him one more chance to sort out this mess''

Nothing happens...well actually thats not strictly true, the situation has gradually declined...and then...

"I will give him one more chance to sort out this mess''

And guess what happens next?!?!?

We are held captive in Romanov's groundhog day...and nothing is going to change. I can understand people clinging onto blind optimism, but surely you can see that the same mistakes will continue to be made???

No new manager bearing decent credentials shall be hired...

Frail will more than likely get the job...

If he gets poor results in the first couple of months he will be binned, and replaced with some other puppet...

We will get no decent signings...and any we do get will probably not even get a chance in the team until we have shifted some of the dross we currently have...(playing Goncalves etc etc until someone is stupid enough to buy them)...

Nothing will happen with regards to the new stand being built...

Charlie Mann will continue to feed us spin, to try and deflect attention from what is happening to our club...

We will get the odd good result which will raise false hope for large sections of our support, believing that a new dawn has begun...only for them to be brought crashing down to reality when we get pumped off St Midden or Falkirk...

Our support, by and large...has been reduced to the passion of a eunuch...the apathy, and complacency which is being displayed by us all towards this man who is destroying the spirit of our club is mindboggling...how can any of us, and I mean any of us claim to love Hearts when we are allowing this to happen with not even a single protest (in any shape or form)...

It is a disgrace...

Ben Dover

I actually don't think the time for protest has arrived. It would be more effective for it to simply unravel in front of him.

Let his shame be deliverance.

Buffalo Bill

If he's such a hard nosed crook / sh*tehouse as some folk believe :rolleyes: then I cant see why the man would want to spend > 3 years winding the club up. That is about as much 'hope' as I can glean from the situation I'm afraid but if he fails to deliver on Jan 1st ( and in my opinion CO has now put his rep on the line too with regard to that ) then we are indeed in the poo

Geoff Kilpatrick

The full article is in the EEN. What got me about it was his "hurt" at getting criticised on here, amongst other places. Never realised politicians could be such sensitive wee souls. :rolleyes:

Ray Winstone

Foulkes was fooled along with the rest of us.

He was taken in by Romanov and his fools gold! And now he releases statements in the "told you so" mould.

He gets critisised because he was a major player in brining Romanov into the club.

Now he has realised this he comes out with a grovelling apology.

The full article is in the EEN. What got me about it was his "hurt" at getting criticised on here, amongst other places. Never realised politicians could be such sensitive wee souls. :rolleyes:

Thanks Geoff. Wonder why it was edited?

PS - Hope you are settling well over there

3 year plan or 5 year plan, it doesn't really matter which, does it? I'm sure neither plan would have had us in the bottom half of the league.

Buffalo Bill

Aye,aye BB,it'll be the same next season and the next,christ it was "give him till the Winter transfer window","give him till summer","give him till.....",why not just say that you will put up with almost anything as long as you are going to the football,it doen't make you a bad person,at least that way you have made your stance and no one can knock you for keeping to what you say.

Not having a go at you in person.

Buffalo Bill
Aye,aye BB,it'll be the same next season and the next,christ it was "give him till the Winter transfer window","give him till summer","give him till.....",why not just say that you will put up with almost anything as long as you are going to the football,it doen't make you a bad person,at least that way you have made your stance and no one can knock you for keeping to what you say.

No, I really do think the goodwill extends to this summer only.

This is his 'window'. Not next season.

This is only my opinion; my observation.

I don't mind if you think I'm talking crap but this is what I bellieve.

Honest.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

It doesn't really matter what I think. I just happen to believe that this season's and last season's embarrasments will not be allowed to on next season.

Therefore, he has THIS summer to fix it.

Is that so wrong an observation?

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo
It doesn't really matter what I think. I just happen to believe that this season's and last season's embarrasments will not be allowed to on next season.

Therefore, he has THIS summer to fix it.

Is that so wrong an observation?

Buffalo Bill

I think you're right BB. But unfortunately, thats what I said last year. :sad:

I hope maybe this time, things will be different. :P

Commander Harris
Do I regret the way things have turned out? Absolutely. But tell me, what would you have done? Allowed Hearts to lose their home and potentially go to the wall? Being in a position to try and help, I was damned if I was going to sit back and watch that happen. "Maybe it was the wrong decision, but it felt like the right thing to do."

it wasn't the wrong decision George, it was the only decision.

Buffalo Bill

I see it as a downward spiral that has to run its course.

Vlad has made such a ham-fist of things, he will be forced to concede.

I think he's been lucky there has been no protests this season. The Jan 1st statement bought him time. But that time is up in the summer.

We all know people from Hearts read this stuff. They know there is going to be a nasty atmosphere next season unless Vlad fixes things in the summer.

That was my point.

Buffalo Bill

Have absolutely no beef with GF whatsoever. He helped make the correct and only call at the time. Unfortunately like a couple of other proud clubs are finding out these foreign investors have no feeling or regard for history or for the fans who love those football clubs.

Hoodwinked and lied too time and again. The crazy thing is that a lesson should have been learnt by now, we are the prime example of why clubs should be wary but they will still sell out and lose their indentities for the quick buck even after seeing the end game isn't good.

Thats the point I was trying to make JR and BB,every year or couple of months now, we get the same "I'll give him untill......",when will it end,I think everyone now knows where I stand on this matter but others change like the wind only to cause quite a bit of confusion with other posters.

IMO it is now a Vlad thing for a lot of supporters,and I'm in that set as well,I really do want him to GTF,after that the alternatives ,I don't know, all I know is that as long as he is here I cannot see Hearts as my team.

So yes give him another year, but don't come back next year and say"I'll give him untill......................." doesn't do any off you any favours.

Buffalo Bill
Thats the point I was trying to make JR and BB,every year or couple of months now, we get the same "I'll give him untill......",when will it end,I think everyone now knows where I stand on this matter but others change like the wind only to cause quite a bit of confusion with other posters.

IMO it is now a Vlad thing for a lot of supporters,and I'm in that set as well,I really do want him to GTF,after that the alternatives ,I don't know, all I know is that as long as he is here I cannot see Hearts as my team.

So yes give him another year, but don't come back next year and say"I'll give him untill......................." doesn't do any off you any favours.

You're asking "when will it end?".

I think this summer.

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo
I see it as a downward spiral that has to run its course.

Vlad has made such a ham-fist of things, he will be forced to concede.

I think he's been lucky there has been no protests this season. The Jan 1st statement bought him time. But that time is up in the summer.

We all know people from Hearts read this stuff. They know there is going to be a nasty atmosphere next season unless Vlad fixes things in the summer.

That was my point.

i hope you're right mate, but all of what you say, including "they've been lucky there has been no protests this season" are exactly what I felt last year.

So I don't see how this year is any different from last season (other than your perspective on things has changed).

The only difference I can see is the Jan 1st statement - (where they finally admit they are doing things wrongly and need to change), but as yet, I've seen no action on the Jan 1st statement - which worries me.

Time will tell if we have learned from our mistakes this time though.

I sincerely hope we have. :food-smiley-004:

You're asking "when will it end?".

I think this summer.

Buffalo Bill

Okay bud,won't quote you on it,honest.

I can see where you are coming from,I do believe the vast majority of Hearts are final seeing through this sham,this is not a told you so or ,I seen it coming before you,thing but supporter didn't want to believe thing's were as bad as we were being told by players,managers, media ,etc,I only hope it isn't to late for our club and that someone will dig us out of this hole,I just can't see it being Vlad.

Bootboy100

This will either be a summer of joy or a summer of discontent at Tynecastle. I know what we all hope for and I am praying that Vlad will deliver on at least 1 promise made!!

Surely the weekend we won the cup was enough for him to realise that if he doesnt make a hash of it then we can win trophies on a regular basis!!

Buffalo Bill
i hope you're right mate, but all of what you say, including "they've been lucky there has been no protests this season" are exactly what I felt last year.

So I don't see how this year is any different from last season (other than your perspective on things has changed).

The only difference I can see is the Jan 1st statement - (where they finally admit they are doing things wrongly and need to change), but as yet, I've seen no action on the Jan 1st statement - which worries me.

Time will tell if we have learned from our mistakes this time though.

I sincerely hope we have. :food-smiley-004:

What has changed is that 'we' thought last year was a blip. Two seasons in a row is something unacceptable.

The difference between this year and last year is two fold.

One, patience has ran out.

Two, we have been made a promise (re the Jan 1st statement).

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill
Okay bud,won't quote you on it,honest.

I can see where you are coming from,I do believe the vast majority of Hearts are final seeing through this sham,this is not a told you so or ,I seen it coming before you,thing but supporter didn't want to believe thing's were as bad as we were being told by players,managers, media ,etc,I only hope it isn't to late for our club and that someone will dig us out of this hole,I just can't see it being Vlad.

It's just my opinion mate, but I think the majority of the fans have one last bit of goodwill in them; and that will expire on June 30th if a manager isn't appointed.

My season ticket is bought in that hope.

Campbell, David, Chazza all know how we are feeling.

Let's hope Vlad does too. And let's hope he gives a ****.

Buffalo Bill

It doesn't matter what happens imo there's always someone who tries to justify his actions or makes excuses or blames the players/Frail blah blah.

Romanov has done more bad things to Hearts than good imo.

He kept us at Tynecastle and thats about it as far as i'm concerned.

When you think back with all things he did in the past like turning up at that womans door with flowers when her son died and getting in with fans at Livvy he was taking us for mugs and boy did we bite.

Absolute dick.

Split the old firm, won the Scottish Cup and allowed us to see some players that otherwise would never have come to Tynecastle.

Im not saying he is right, far far from it. And in the last 2 years more bad than good by far, but do not forget the good things.

I see it as almost a disrespect that so many many have forgotten our cup win, they dont happen often and winning one is something that each and everyone of us should cherish.

Thanks Geoff. Wonder why it was edited?

PS - Hope you are settling well over there

Is this a difficult question?

bighalders
Split the old firm, won the Scottish Cup and allowed us to see some players that otherwise would never have come to Tynecastle.

Im not saying he is right, far far from it. And in the last 2 years more bad than good by far, but do not forget the good things.

I see it as almost a disrespect that so many many have forgotten our cup win, they dont happen often and winning one is something that each and everyone of us should cherish.

Sorry, but we even won the cup under the pieman, don't think you'll want to remember his time so fondly

Kinda has the same effect on me as when my Dad owned up that there wasn't really a Santa! (apologies in advance to any young JKB poster who's dreams I have just crushed ..... just equate it to stories that Clum will be a superstar one day ...... see you now know the true smell of bull)

Genghis Khan
Kinda has the same effect on me as when my Dad owned up that there wasn't really a Santa! (apologies in advance to any young JKB poster who's dreams I have just crushed ..... just equate it to stories that Clum will be a superstar one day ...... see you now know the true smell of bull)

So you think Foulkes doesn't have regrets over Vlad?

Sorry, but we even won the cup under the pieman, don't think you'll want to remember his time so fondly

Im not saying i want to remember Vlad fondly. Just saying he has brought more than just staying at Tynie, which he has done

flecktimus
It's just my opinion mate, but I think the majority of the fans have one last bit of goodwill in them; and that will expire on June 30th if a manager isn't appointed.

My season ticket is bought in that hope.

Campbell, David, Chazza all know how we are feeling.

Let's hope Vlad does too. And let's hope he gives a ****.

Buffalo Bill

Interesting that you have given a date.

Re-Manager It is still my believe that Vlad has not found a Manager that he can manage and satisfy his critics.

What we must remember, HMFC have made people money through Vlad influencing team selection and creating Debt.

Genghis Khan
Interesting that you have given a date.

Re-Manager It is still my believe that Vlad has not found a Manager that he can manage and satisfy his critics.

What we must remember, HMFC have made people money through Vlad influencing team selection and creating Debt.

sniff, sniff.

The thing is, if he employs a decent manager with a track record but we still don`t hit it off quickly, will the axe fall and we see old trends return?

He`s given Frail nearly 5 months to shape the team and take responsibility(apparently!) and i`d expect even a proven manager to be given sufficient time to settle in.

Then again, who says we`re getting a new manager?:sad:

Through thick and thin

Maybe GF could tell us what the alternative was to VR. There was not one.

Maybe GF could tell us what the alternative was to VR. There was not one.

Which, of course, is his point.

Through thick and thin
Which, of course, is his point.

Well there wasn't really much point in him stating the obvious once again.

Well there wasn't really much point in him stating the obvious once again.

Have you read the article?

FORMER Hearts chairman George Foulkes has spoken of his regret at the role he played in welcoming Vladimir Romanov to power at Tynecastle, but said he would not apologise as there was "no other obvious choice" to save the club at the time...... But Foulkes has been stung by questions over the role he played in helping Romanov become the club's majority shareholder, and now admits he harbours regrets....

I think that's why he's "stating the obvious".

Archived