Congratulations Linfield

CornhillHearts

CornhillHearts

Cup and League double, looking forward to receiving signed top for handing over to their sponsor in Gorgie Road.

I reckon the Hearts could do a lot worse than signing Thommo.

Dirk Diggler
Sad if it is tbh.

Absolutely.

Would you bet against it though?

Dirk Diggler
it wont even make two pages:rolleyes:

Depends if a certain poster with a reputation for diving in with both feet into threads like this gets a hold of it, I suppose.

:(

Toxteth O'Grady

Who are Linfeild?

What part of Scotland do they play in?

Why do they have sponsors in Gorgie?

Ron Burgundy
Who are Linfeild?

What part of Scotland do they play in?

Why do they have sponsors in Gorgie?

I've never heard of Linfeild.

Disappointing result in a way (a particular someone on the board will slate me for saying that), and Linfield's third consecutive double shows up the lack of depth in the game in NI. But fair play to them - it's up to the likes of Glentoran and Portadown to compete and make the league more interesting.

Charlie-Brown

Who is Thommo? If any Linfield 'fans' could enlighten me? Is he a player? a manager? do I have to wikipedia it?

EDIT: Cheers Ulysses :thumb:

77 goals in 154 games and only 24 years old is interesting - any Youtubes for this guy?

Charlie-Brown

Cheers again Ulysses - that guy looks decent enough - has there been much interest or bids for him from anyone in England or Scotland?

Looks like he'd be worth taking a look at.

Cheers again Ulysses - that guy looks decent enough - has there been much interest or bids for him from anyone in England or Scotland?

Looks like he'd be worth taking a look at.

Rumours of interest from Coventry, and I suspect Linfield will lose him sooner or later.

You also have to keep in mind that those goals were scored in the 46th ranked league in Europe. Having said that, he's also been capped seven times by NI, and scored once.

Eckauskas

My local team from back home.

The most successful team in the world of football.

Ever.

Charlie-Brown
Rumours of interest from Coventry, and I suspect Linfield will lose him sooner or later.

You also have to keep in mind that those goals were scored in the 46th ranked league in Europe. Having said that, he's also been capped seven times by NI, and scored once.

It's true that Irish players (both sides of the border) are coming from lesser rated leagues however that should usually be the spur to push their career upwards (if they have the ability) ?

cosanostra

Ever.

That's an interesting stat.

I take it they've won the highest percentage of domestic trophies?

Eckauskas
That's an interesting stat.

I take it they've won the highest percentage of domestic trophies?

48 league titles, 39 Irish Cups, 9 league cups, 1 Setanta Cup plus 111 minor trophies.

Ever.

That can't possibly be true.

coppercrutch
48 league titles, 39 Irish Cups, 9 league cups, 1 Setanta Cup plus 111 minor trophies.

If you got rid of that one it would sound better...........:)

Eckauskas
That can't possibly be true.

See my above post.

Domestically the most successful team in the world.

Cup and League double, looking forward to receiving signed top for handing over to their sponsor in Gorgie Road.

I reckon the Hearts could do a lot worse than signing Thommo.

Who cares?

Dirk Diggler

Do Rangers fans not claim that they are the worlds most successful football club?

Imeantasong
Do Rangers fans not claim that they are the worlds most successful football club?

When they're on the telly, you'd be excused for thinking you were watching and listening to a Rangers game.

CornhillHearts

"Disappointing result in a way (a particular someone on the board will slate me for saying that), and Linfield's third consecutive double shows up the lack of depth in the game in NI. But fair play to them - it's up to the likes of Glentoran and Portadown to compete and make the league more interesting"

Of course drublin football teams are much better - not, although Linfield lost to St Pats last week it was at the end of a long season and I would take the blues to beat any team from the republic more times than not.

The league was interesting and competitive this season with it being a three way fight for most of the season until the mighty blues finished the stronger.

Looking forward to seeing my blues buddies on the twelfth and having a sherbet or two in the cosy bar on the 14th bfore game against the Glens..

The Old Tolbooth

They do, but they are wrong, Linfield has won many more domestic trophies than either of them.

GIRUTOF

Of course drublin football teams are much better - not, although Linfield lost to St Pats last week it was at the end of a long season and I would take the blues to beat any team from the republic more times than not.

I wouldn't say football teams on this side of the border are much better - just slightly better, as the slightly higher UEFA rankings suggest. The same team has won three doubles on the trot in NI, which pretty much kicks to touch the notion of the league being competitive. Glentoran and Portadown in particular are not reaching the kind of standards they would like.

Both leagues are penny ante compared to the serious leagues in Europe.

Buffalo Bill

I thought Hibs were the best team in the world, seeing as they taught Brazil and all that. :confused:

I don't know anything about NI football but well done to them.

Buffalo Bill

Dirk Diggler
I thought Hibs were the best team in the world, seeing as they taught Brazil and all that. :confused:

I don't know anything about NI football but well done to them.

Buffalo Bill

Yes BB, Naturally Hubs are the best team in the world, Today was evidence of that.

How silly of me.

Buffalo Bill
Yes BB, Naturally Hubs are the best team in the world, Today was evidence of that.

How silly of me.

They invented the floodlight, you know.

Buffalo Bill

How silly of me.

I wouldn't say silly, just sort of forgetful.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking like the new Irish, er, gaffer, Giovanni Trapattoni.

If I may quote the man:

"A beautiful game is for 24 hours in the newspapers; a result stands forever."

Silly nonsense, of course. We (and the hooby boobies) know better than that. ;)

davemclaren
They invented the floodlight, you know.

Buffalo Bill

Apparently true, and the concept of sports sponsorship. :o

Rankgers: 51 League Titles, 31 Scottish Cups, 25 League Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup.

That's surely better than Linfield's record.

Anyway, what are the average crowds line in Northern Ireland and Eire?

For the top clubs, attendances are in the low four figures. Last year's Irish Cup Final (Linfield v Dungannon Swifts) attracted a crowd of 7,500. The season before when the big two played each other (Linfield and Glentoran), about 12,000 attended. Crowds would be about the same in the South.

chester copperpot

Well done Linfield. A cracking set up they have there.

Some of the Wife's family will be a bit peshed this weekend.

jambojim52

Can't see the point of all these congratulation threads on a HEARTS board. By all means comment on particular matches or incidents in games ( it is a football board right enough) but why the need to praise teams from other leagues/countries/rival,s ect is beyond me.

Dirk Diggler

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at how this thread has panned out.

Perhaps Ulysses keeping a close eye on things and the poster I mentioned earlier not making an appearence has something to do with it.

Anyway, Well done Linfield.

:biggrin:

EDIT* Boo JamboJim52.

:laugh:

Archived