The 5-1 Gesture

topcat

I couldn't give a **** if he likes Joy division and the JaMC, he's still a hibs rasper.

Finally, a bit of clarity.

tumblr_mj7vdjLC4i1roi2j7o1_500.gif

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Jambos,

My apologies for barging in on your site, I am sure it isn?t hugely welcome from a Hibs man like me but I feel I need to talk to a number of the real Hearts fans directly. This particular topic seemed strangely fitting. It was recently brought to my attention that some unacceptable comments and language had been used against some Hearts fans on line, emanating from my son?s account. First of all they did come from him or at least some of them did, so no excuse there. In fact this is an open and sincere apology to anyone who was offended.

The excuse/reason for the language is that Simon is on the autistic spectrum and he is unaware of the offence and indeed the consequences of his words sometimes. He is a very keen Hibs fan and obviously got carried away with the ?banter? in cyberspace, many others may have done the same but I have told him it is absolutely not acceptable from him. He does not like talking about autism and we as a family have never made any public comments, so it is perfectly understandable if any of you were angered, you didn?t have the full facts.

Most importantly he is not a hateful guy anyway and there is certainly no negative feeling in our family against Hearts or indeed any team. Yes we support our team but it has never meant hatred of the opposition, not in this household anyway.

Like many parents, I was unaware of the intensity of the online ?debate?, but my wife and I were shocked by it when we were made aware and as such we just couldn?t let it lie. It is worth mentioning that it was not a Hearts fan who brought it to our attention, so thank you to those who witnessed it for being so understanding already.

If any Hearts fan feels the need to contact me personally, I will try to get back on to the site and answer any questions when I have a moment. In the meantime, thanks for your understanding and of course please don?t let up on the abuse at me personally when I am squirming on the telly when Hibs are having a torrid time. Times such as at half time last week against Falkirk at Hampden and there might have been another time at Hampden a little while back but I can?t quite remember it. That abuse is welcome, funny and I always take it in the right spirit.

Good luck for the rest of the season, with the obvious exception of course!

PS A couple of weeks ago I Hearts fan came up to me in Edinburgh and DIDN'T make the 5-1 gesture....the first time since last summer that has happened.

Pat Nevin

Fair Play to Pat for posting,My mates son has autism and it can be a daily struggle and hugely demanding on all the Family.

I admire Pat having the cajones to post on here.

Making fun of mental disorders is against the rules.

Just as well it was making fun of you then :lol:

Shanks said no

Respect to you Mr Nevin and best wishes to your family

However you are still a Starfish

Patrick_Star.gif

Thanks for the initial reaction guys, expecting a bit more abuse later but different class to be honest.

5-1 on MOTD made me laugh out loud and then shiver at the thought.

Pat

Orite Pat.

Hope your mob get humiliated in the final.

x

Back on topic

C'mon Pat... What would you do?

Cool crossed arms style or something else?

Goldstone Wonder

Dear Jambos,

My apologies for barging in on your site, I am sure it isn?t hugely welcome from a Hibs man like me but I feel I need to talk to a number of the real Hearts fans directly. This particular topic seemed strangely fitting. It was recently brought to my attention that some unacceptable comments and language had been used against some Hearts fans on line, emanating from my son?s account. First of all they did come from him or at least some of them did, so no excuse there. In fact this is an open and sincere apology to anyone who was offended.

The excuse/reason for the language is that Simon is on the autistic spectrum and he is unaware of the offence and indeed the consequences of his words sometimes. He is a very keen Hibs fan and obviously got carried away with the ?banter? in cyberspace, many others may have done the same but I have told him it is absolutely not acceptable from him. He does not like talking about autism and we as a family have never made any public comments, so it is perfectly understandable if any of you were angered, you didn?t have the full facts.

Most importantly he is not a hateful guy anyway and there is certainly no negative feeling in our family against Hearts or indeed any team. Yes we support our team but it has never meant hatred of the opposition, not in this household anyway.

Like many parents, I was unaware of the intensity of the online ?debate?, but my wife and I were shocked by it when we were made aware and as such we just couldn?t let it lie. It is worth mentioning that it was not a Hearts fan who brought it to our attention, so thank you to those who witnessed it for being so understanding already.

If any Hearts fan feels the need to contact me personally, I will try to get back on to the site and answer any questions when I have a moment. In the meantime, thanks for your understanding and of course please don?t let up on the abuse at me personally when I am squirming on the telly when Hibs are having a torrid time. Times such as at half time last week against Falkirk at Hampden and there might have been another time at Hampden a little while back but I can?t quite remember it. That abuse is welcome, funny and I always take it in the right spirit.

PS A couple of weeks ago I Hearts fan came up to me in Edinburgh and DIDN'T make the 5-1 gesture....the first time since last summer that has happened.

Pat Nevin

Hi Pat. Good post. My son is also on the autistic spectrum and is an Aspie. I've met one of your son's pals through Disability Snowsports Scotland at Hillend. Hope your team get stuffed on the 11th and in the Cup Final!

fabienleclerq

Cragieboy taking a pounding on .net for his contribution to this thread!! I'm in for a tenner too pat!!

Cragieboy taking a pounding on .net for his contribution to this thread!! I'm in for a tenner too pat!!

I've been trying to get on scoobydoo.net to see if this thread had been picked up but it's taking ages to load onto my mobile mainly cos it's going to the desktop version instead of the mobile one. Anyone any idea how I can get onto the mobile version.

I've been trying to get on scoobydoo.net to see if this thread had been picked up but it's taking ages to load onto my mobile mainly cos it's going to the desktop version instead of the mobile one. Anyone any idea how I can get onto the mobile version.

I wouldn't bother.

It's just full of jokers who apparently don't like to be reminded of their cup final humiliation.

Seems quite a few regularly log on here, though.

Last summer must have been excruciating for them, hence the bitterness.

:verysmug:

I'd just like to add that I'll donate a tenner for a 5-1 on MOTD.

Has there been a Fire Drill? Has Pat left the building?

Suspect Device

Hi Pat, played golf with you a couple of times a while back, at Seahouses and the Hirsel with big Steve the tiler, not sure if you know, but unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago. feel free to pm me if you'd like any more info.

back on topic, well done for coming on, no need, it's just a football forum.

the only mistake you made was letting your laddie choose a team when the hibs were in the first division, obviously didn't realise this and thought hibs were the best team in the country 'cause they were winning every week :devilish:

a wee bit better parenting on your behalf and they could have been in the singing and dancing end on 10-05-12 :10600:

cheers

PsychocAndy

a wee bit better parenting on your behalf and they could have been in the singing and dancing end on 19-05-12 :10600:

cheers

ftfy

Love the idea of a sponsored 5-1. I can see 3 positives from such a thing.

1) we get a wee giggle at Pats expense

2) a very worthwhile charity gets a decent donation.

3) the inevitable rabid thread on scoobydoo.net will be,quite simply, comedy gold.

:)

this has to happen

a seperate "sponsored 5-1" thread needs to be started to organise donations and pressure pat into doing this

I'll give a bazillion pounds if he does a five one on match of the day.

He won't though, why would he?

Maybe the charity bit with autism, if funds were guaranteed...

Maybe the charity bit with autism, if funds were guaranteed...

Which he'd have to explain if he did it on match of the day. He has said on this thread its not public knowledge and his son doesn't like talking about it. Pat won't be short of a bob or two. There are other, more private and less humiliating, ways to raise money for charity.

Which he'd have to explain if he did it on match of the day. He has said on this thread its not public knowledge and his son doesn't like talking about it. Pat won't be short of a bob or two. There are other, more private and less humiliating, ways to raise money for charity.

Why wouldn't he be able to talk about a player scoring his 6th goal of the season whilst doing the 5-1?

Suspect Device

a wee bit better parenting on your behalf and they could have been in the singing and dancing end on 19-05-12 :10600:

cheers

ftfy

oops, what a tw*t !! :11300:

shouldn't try to post when nashing out the door :disappointed:

Not going to disagree, I just answered your question that you asked. You never know ;)

Why can Mr Nevin not just do a five one in front of his lappy?

Would that not be enough to raise funds for a charity?

I'm sure Patrick would be sporting enough to do that.

:look:

Franklin Delano Bluth

Why can Mr Nevin not just do a five one in front of his lappy?

Would that not be enough to raise funds for a charity?

I'm sure Patrick would be sporting enough to do that.

:look:

Don't you go getting involved in 5-1 photos now, Craigieboy, after last time.

I P Knightley

Very well put - like the bit in bold (as if it would be better to dress in women's clothes and do a handstand in the middle of Hampden on final day with a cucumber gently lowered in).

If he was a prominent supporter of autism charities, I'm sure it would be worth pursuing. I'd even go as far as dropping ?1 5 to see it happen (plus gift relief).

Don't you go getting involved in 5-1 photos now, Craigieboy, after last time.

WTF do you mean, last time?

The photo is still on the go and will appear very soon.

I'll be vindicated. And see when I am, you can all feckin ram it right up your arses.

WTF do you mean, last time?

The photo is still on the go and will appear very soon.

I'll be vindicated. And see when I am, you can all feckin ram it right up your arses.

Look buddy stop peddling the myth now. You've already resulted in the 5-1 around the world thread having about 4 pages chopped off!

Look buddy stop peddling the myth now. You've already resulted in the 5-1 around the world thread having about 4 pages chopped off!

About three posts were mine.

And the trim was welcomed.

Too many arseholes misreading what was said & jumping to conclusions.

I will, of course, dull down the extent to which people may be impressed with the photo as I've realised it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Still in the top 5 imo.

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

nice touch from pat and very sincere

PsychocAndy

Has anybody PM'd Pat yet? I see 5 visitors to his page. I'd like it if he were to free an hour for a Q&A session, anybody asked?

• 2 weeks later...
Jambof3tornado

How about giving a real amount?!?

GuitarJambo

Well done Pat, will make a donation tomorrow morning. A cause very close to my heart.

still a hobo git though!

He was open and honest and gave an insight into his private life which I am sure was not easy.

He's kept to his word and well done for that so lets recognise that part of him... he also does work not for publicity purposes so well done for that also.

When people are up front then they deserve to be recognised for that.

But Pat why did you let him choose Hibs ? .............parenting skills were surely lacking in allowing that to happen.........and of course the same end of season thoughts to yourself..................both times.

Hi Pat,

You seem a very decent chap (even for a h1b5 fan). All the best to your son.

Archived