Using the word 'FOOTY' ?

desmondo

Ryan Jarman

Not anyworse than the weegies in my team at work saying 'futbaw' all day.

lauriesrank

Anybody who uses terms like footy knows heehaw about the game. Fact.

This^^ Cannot agree more, although soccer is nearly as bad. Both terms coined/penned by the English of course :(

Does it matter? Heard that the US (thats America) is to get the EPL next season and in an interview with the network showcasing the games, the term.... Soccerball was used :facepalm: x 1000'000

jack D and coke
Does it matter? Heard that the US (thats America) is to get the EPL next season and in an interview with the network showcasing the games, the term.... Soccerball was used :facepalm: x 1000'000

There's a funny parody account on twitter that some guy calls it soccerball and intentionally gets all names wrong of the players and teams. Goalshots, double foot felonies, hand denials and the like. The amount of people that think its gen are probably funnier abusing him for being a stupid yank.

@usasoccerguy for a few chuckles if your on twitter.

Not anyworse than the weegies in my team at work saying 'futbaw' all day.

But it's wur cultchur!!!

Never in a month of Sundays :disappointed:

My wife uses it just to wind me up! She also refers to the 'interval' to wind me up even more!!!!

GuitarJambo

fitbaw or football for me, hate even hearing the weegies say fitba, gets right on my man paps so it does.

I got into the habit of Iain the word footy to annoy my Hun pal and Hun brother in law. It's kinda stuck now

Franklin Delano Bluth

If you refer to Football as 'Footy' you have definitely not had sexual intercourse.

Virgin chat, imo.

B)

Footy? Footy? Footy?

If you come from Leeds, or Australia, maybe it is ok.

If you come from (or live in) Edinburgh and use the word "footy", you can **** right off.

In Oz footy is used for just about any game with a ball except bloody football. Aussie rules, rugby league and union are all called footy. Annoyingly football is always referred to as soccer

They also use soccer as a verb to describe kicking a ball on the fly in afl, as in "he soccered it off the ground"

The Treasurer

footy is a term brought in by the likes of Tim Lovejoy. You know the types that claim to "support" Man U , Chelsea etc because it's trendy to do so (and they win most of the time) but have never actually been near a "footy" ground in their lives. We all know their type, all mouth when "their" team has won but if they lose they "didn't know the score as I'm not really into footy"

Anybody who uses terms like footy knows heehaw about the game. Fact.

That would be the vast majority of people on this board then.

Well Americans can call football "soccer" all they like it wont stop me calling american football poor mans egg chasers

Saaaaker is even worse

Just finished a 15,000 word dissertation involving football and had to use the term "soccer" instead for the entire project. Absolutely chronic having to do that!

Feckin yanks

Never in a month of Sundays :disappointed:

I hate the word "footy." I also despise the cretin I sit opposite at work and he says "footy" all the time. Confirmation if ever I needed it of what a crap term it is.

We only won 5-1

If this is the shite you spend your time worrying about then I suggets you relax as life is good.

Maroon Sailor

Just finished a 15,000 word dissertation involving football and had to use the term "soccer" instead for the entire project. Absolutely chronic having to do that!

Feckin yanks

I can imagine !

Slightly off-topic - any ideas why the Italians went off on a bit of a tangent and called it calcio? Almost every other language has a variation of foot+ball.

Found this online...

"Calcio is derived, to the best of my knowledge, from the medieval game of calcio fiorentino, or Florentine kickball. Calcio does not literally mean "football" or "soccer." In Italian, calciare means "to kick." A soccer player or footballer is a called a calciatore."

Footy is a word your female friends on facebook use when describing what's on the telly whilst ironing. No self respecting attender of fitba or football would use it. Hate the word "pen" as well, Paul Merson (although love everything else about the guy!!!)

yabadabadoo1874again

There's a funny parody account on twitter that some guy calls it soccerball and intentionally gets all names wrong of the players and teams. Goalshots, double foot felonies, hand denials and the like. The amount of people that think its gen are probably funnier abusing him for being a stupid yank.

If it wasn't for the very surprising late award of a Hail Mary 12 yard deathstrike, against the Boston Celtics Scottish franchise last year and subsequent equally surprising conversion of the 12 yard death strike, The Hearts Of the Midlothian Soccer Club would have had a season which had both blowed and sucked from this commentators angle.

If it wasn't for the very surprising late award of a Hail Mary 12 yard deathstrike, against the Boston Celtics Scottish franchise last year and subsequent equally surprising conversion of the 12 yard death strike, The Hearts Of the Midlothian Soccer Club would have had a season which had both blowed and sucked from this commentators angle.

An entirely fair assessment!!! :10900:

:laugh: saw that, I noticed he wasn using RSVP instead of RVP when discussing Van Persie during the Mancs game.

Prince Buaben

I once commented saying it was wrong to see how many folk would try and correct me. :facepalm:

Some of the abuse was :lol:

:lol:

Cheers for the tip, the guys hilarious.

@usasoccerguy: The red stripes lead at the Sir James stadium. New Castle Union look like soccer raccoons with their black and white striped uniforms. #epl

Private Womble

Big mention on off the ball praising this thread! It was a topic on the show

yvonnejambo

Big mention on off the ball praising this thread! It was a topic on the show

Been good Tam has bigged up this thread and jamboskickback whilst sitting in the studio with mcpake :)

Archived