Webster

scott_jambo

scott_jambo

I thought I'd start another one since most players have one.

I think he is going to get progressively and visibly worse as a player. Should really have a few more years in him as a centre half but could see him retiring or playing at a lower level in 2 years max.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

First spell - useless without Pressley next to him.

Now - useless without Zal.

(Maybe "useless" is a bit harsh, but you know what I mean.)

He is not a bad player, but I do think Zal is streets ahead of him and when Zal is not there, he is lost. He does not seem to be the best choice of captain, either, which is a shame as he was a good captain for Dundee Utd.

Maurice Moss

Never was and never will be a dominant centre back. Without one next to him he looks exposed.

Why don't you and what seems a majority of people just give it a f****** rest?

We are have had to deal with massive financial issues

We have been HAMMERED with injuries all season to crucial players

We have been forced to play youth players that needed bedded in, not thrown in like we've had to.

We lost a league cup final with a seriously weakened team.. St Mirren were at full strength, it wasn't our day. 3 Scottish Cups in 14 years - Move on.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

We have been forced to play youth players that needed bedded in, not thrown in like we've had to.

We lost a league cup final with a seriously weakened team.. St Mirren were at full strength, it wasn't our day. 3 Scottish Cups in 14 years - Move on.

Do you understand the concept of football forums?

heartofgold

He's not the issue but as the only first choice player left in the back four he is exposed. McGowan, Grainger and Zal. Three out of four we have lost and despite their energy and raw talent two youngsters at fullback are always a risk. Webster was always going to be the glue in the back four not the ringmaster, as Zal's role is.

Raw deal from you guys IMHO

Do you understand the concept of football forums?

Do you understand the concept of supporting your club?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He's not the issue but as the only first choice player left in the back four he is exposed. McGowan, Grainger and Zal. Three out of four we have lost and despite their energy and raw talent two youngsters at fullback are always a risk. Webster was always going to be the glue in the back four not the ringmaster, as Zal's role is.

Raw deal from you guys IMHO

I'd agree that he's being made to look worse than he is but at the same time, the OP is right - we can't rely on him for too much longer.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Do you understand the concept of supporting your club?

Yes. Unfortunately, certain people seem to confuse supporting the club with wearing blinkers. Like the person who told me yesterday that we shouldn't be discussing Locke's appointment until after the cup final. As if.

Alwaysinourshadows

He's really slow and far too soft and struggles against a striker with pace or strength. He'll be gone in the summer anyway

Marty McFly

awful awful post. Webster is a great CB with 2 scottish cups to prove that. Along with captaining the national team.

Yes. Unfortunately, certain people seem to confuse supporting the club with wearing blinkers. Like the ****** who told me yesterday that we shouldn't be discussing Locke's appointment until after the cup final. As if.

I just thought our club had a bit more class than the green neighbours but jumping on here for 5 minutes would suggest that a vast majority don't. Webster has been brilliant in games this season. A partnership as good as his and Zal's is developed over a long period of time, Wilson and Webster, McHattie & McGowan included have been together for about 5 minutes.

I actually thought he done well. As someone else said , he's got 3 youngsters playing in the back 4 , he can only cover so much

scott_jambo

I just thought our club had a bit more class than the green neighbours but jumping on here for 5 minutes would suggest that a vast majority don't. Webster has been brilliant in games this season. A partnership as good as his and Zal's is developed over a long period of time, Wilson and Webster, McHattie & McGowan included have been together for about 5 minutes.

Hearts will never owe Webster anything. I appreciate his efforts but he must be discarded as soon as he is of no use to us. He will never be deserving of special treatment.

Would have McKay in his place for the next game, if for no other reason than to give Webster a boot up the arse!

Hearts will never owe Webster anything. I appreciate his efforts but he must be discarded as soon as he is of no use to us. He will never be deserving of special treatment.

What are you talking about? I'm not suggesting hearts owe him anything. Hearts fans need to stop embarrasing themselves with ridiculous comments that make you sound like Hibs fans.

The People's Chimp

Webby is still a fantastic defender. But what people are forgetting is that we've had horrific injuries - out of the first choice back four, 3 are fecked with long term injuries. That back 4 - grainger, webster, zal, hamill would be amongst the best in the league.

Nookie Bear

Webby is still a fantastic defender. But what people are forgetting is that we've had horrific injuries - out of the first choice back four, 3 are fecked with long term injuries. That back 4 - grainger, webster, zal, hamill would be amongst the best in the league.

Spot on. Let's see how any other SPL club would cope if they lost 2 right backs, a centre back and a left back for the rest of the season.

That back 4 would have won us the cup yesterday.

Webster needs a commanding centre back with him, if he doesn't have one he struggles. Still would walk in to any team in the league.

Not a captain. No leadership on the park exemplified by us coming out earlier for second half and not switching on until they had passed it round us and scored. They all take the blame but we need stronger leadership on the park.

Never a captain. But can't see who else in the team is either just now tbh. We miss Zal so much. :(

kevbo-selecta

Big fan of Webby but very poor by his 'standard' yesterday;

1st goal: tried to play offside too far up park & got caught out

2nd goal: out of position & should have been in line of cross to stop ball getting to Thompson (Wilson also at fault)

3rd goal: sucked in to play & missed quick 1-2 (Wilson also at fault)

Not like him but he was poor yesterday!!!

Thought he had an ok game, he was under every ball and has confidence, something that is lacking at the back.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He's not had his best season, but to say he's been up against it is an understatement of the century.

Grainger, Zaliukas, Hamill all long term injuries. Gowser sold. Kids making their debuts left, right and centre. Continuously having to chop and change the back four.

Not sure who could have handled it any better if a guy deemed good enough to be the captain of Scotland can't? Unless Maldini fancies sticking on the boots again.

It has just been a shanner off a season in every possible way.

He's not had his best season, but to say he's been up against it is an understatement of the century.

Grainger, Zaliukas, Hamill all long term injuries. Gowser sold. Kids making their debuts left, right and centre. Continuously having to chop and change the back four.

Not sure who could have handled it any better if a guy deemed good enough to be the captain of Scotland can't? Unless Maldini fancies sticking on the boots again.

We all know he isn't really Scottish captain.

3fingersreid

Two things on this thread

Firstly its not that long ago Grainger was getting pelters - unfairly imho- to the point he reacted to a fan at Tynecastle

Secondly if Webster wasn't captain who would be ?

Without Zal we don't have a captain in the team

Angerfist_Hearts

awful awful post. Webster is a great CB with 2 scottish cups to prove that. Along with captaining the national team.

Spot on some people on here need to get to Tynie more often. Ngoo getting stick yea he had a bad game ppl saying he can't run no good first touch. Did People see him against st Johnstone all u day trippers would hav been watching the real game

Two things on this thread

Firstly its not that long ago Grainger was getting pelters - unfairly imho- to the point he reacted to a fan at Tynecastle

Secondly if Webster wasn't captain who would be ?

Without Zal we don't have a captain in the team

Fair point. Again a reflection on the dire nature of our squad that someone who isn't really captain "style" has to do it. Hindsight being a wonderful thing if we had kept Ryan he could have been captain but I suppose we needed the money.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

This.

He's still a quality player. He's been left badly exposed by a shan team this season. Him and Zal both but they're an excellent partnership.

Does nobody ever stop to think that Zal's best spell at Hearts has come since we re-signed Webster?

rossthejambo

This.

He's still a quality player. He's been left badly exposed by a shan team this season. Him and Zal both but they're an excellent partnership.

Does nobody ever stop to think that Zal's best spell at Hearts has come since we re-signed Webster?

Zal's looked good regardless of who's beside him these days. The derby at Tynie when he had McGowan beside him being a prime example.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Zal's looked good regardless of who's beside him these days. The derby at Tynie when he had McGowan beside him being a prime example.

That's one game though.

Webster and Wilson looked great against St Johnstone.

I really like Zal but I think a run of games without Webster wouldn't benefit him at all.

Rudolf's Mate

Wasn't that long ago people were saying Webster was carrying Zal! I concede he's not had a great few months but blaming him FFS!

rossthejambo

That's one game though.

Webster and Wilson looked great against St Johnstone.

I really like Zal but I think a run of games without Webster wouldn't benefit him at all.

We'll never find out now sadly, but the stats bear my thoughts out. Without Zal we suffer badly, without Webster we've not suffered as much.

I totally agree. The players as individuals have strengths and weaknesses, the best way to build to build on the strengths and mitigate the weaknesses is to play lots of games together, see what works and what is disastrous We have very rarely played the same back four for a consistent run all season, we have numerous players out injured and the replacements cannot always play in their preferred position. In these circumstances you can sometimes get away with it for a limited period but over time mistakes (costly ones at that) will no doubt creep in. Thanks to Dundee it looks like this is no relegation season so what our young players are getting in abundance is experience. There is no guarantee this will make tham unbeatable next season but you would expect there to be signs of improvement. I have frequently been frustrated this season but am relatively optimistic for the future.

First spell - useless without Pressley next to him.

Now - useless without Zal.

Spot on. Without an intelligent player next to him to tell him what to do he's struggling.

Rudolf's Mate

Spot on. Without an intelligent player next to him to tell him what to do he's struggling.

You don't half talk ****

Bungalow Bill

Couldn't disagree more. Webster is our best player. If anything it's him that tells Zal what to do.

tynie chris

Here Here :spoton:

I don't think he's had his best season. But I still think he's been our POTY so far.

glastonbury jambo

he strolls a bit too much and can be slow to react to certain situations,he really should be stepping up to the mark as a scotland centre back but recently he has looked a bit lost....but who else would be captain?

Lol what a load of shite, pity you didn't have a intelligent poster next to you.

Lol what a load of shite, pity you didn't have a intelligent poster next to you.

Pity Webster has only 2 passes in his repertoire - either a hoof up the field, or a passback. And limited positional sense without an intelligent player next to him.

he strolls a bit too much and can be slow to react to certain situations,he really should be stepping up to the mark as a scotland centre back but recently he has looked a bit lost....but who else would be captain?

He's recently looking a bit lost because Zaliukas isn't there to help him along.

fabienleclerq

Webster is class, he wasn't great yesterday but then if you take out some of our best players(foundation of the team) you cant expect him to perform to his best without quality around him.

One poor game doesn't make him a bad ffs.

Archived