Holidays 2008

Leebo

Am going to Prague in Feb, then going to Florida in sept for 2 weeks, never been before, really looking forward to it.

was thinking about staying in miami for a night or 2 while i was there, but no sure if its a good idea? its about a 5 hr drive as well i got told?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toying with going to Florida for the first time. We have a wee boy who will be 3 in April.

Any tips gratefully welcomed.

We took our 3 year old (May birthday) to Florida last year. She had a great time obviously they can't go on all the big rides but there's plenty for them to do. There's plenty of rides/entertainment for kids of that age but it does restrict what you can go on as a family.

I went in August and it was incredibly hot. If you're going in the summer make sure you rent one of the kids buggies for the parks, much easier than carrying the bugger round all day, and they can have a kip when they're tired.

As much as I'd love to spend a week in The Waverley Bar in Dumbarton for ma holidays(HA HA), I'm off to New Jersey for a week in July, for a wee convention.

Cheers

Lynn

What you're going to a convention about urine. P155 poor holiday if you ask me.

You've been watching Japanese television for too long Lynn

I'm off to Tenerife for a week in March and to Majorca for 2 weeks in August.

Will save the rest for the UEFA cup games before Christmas.

We're off to Florida again this year in October. Been to watch Orlando Magic which was cool.

Allegedly going camping during the summer but I'm not so sure about that one. Might feign illness and let the husband and son go.;)

• 4 weeks later...
Prince Buaben

Before i book my holidays are hearts planning barcalona or similar this year then if no then benidorm in july/august again this year

If all goes according to plan -

a week in Spain next month

3 weeks in Florida in May

weekend in Paris in July for the Tour de France

Gdynia in Poland for a month in July then onto Wacken in Germany for 4 days for a festival, back to Gdynia to get my stuff then back to Edinburgh.

4 nts in toronto followed by 7 in montreal visiting mates and going to a festival called mutek. only three and a half months to go. might sneek a weekend away in at some point later in the year, possibly berlin again as it is pure quality especially the clubs or maybe somewhere in poland.

Canada-twice!

Flying into Winnipeg in August and taking road trip west to Calgary and then my family's cabin at Lake Louise for summer watersport nonsense and a tan.

Then back to Calgary and onto the cabin again in December if I've learned to snow board by then.

Also hoping for a few cheap citybreaks and weekends in the north west Highlands.

I've been offered a (pretty much) free trip to France in March. Not sure if I will go or not as I'm self-employed and stand to lose earnings while I'm away. I'm only going if I've got a couple of grand in the bank by then.

Aside from that, I'd love to go to Greece this summer. When we played AEK I stayed on an island near Athens (Evia) for a week. It was brill. Nothing like Aiya Napa or Ibiza but just a chilled out, traditional island with great beaches and no English folk. Superb food (dirt cheap) and superb banter with the local hotel staff.

Didn't have you down as a murderwell fan Cobblers......;)

Back to Edinburgh for a couple of weeks at the end of July/beginning of August then a couple of weeks on the west coast of the US (hopefully). :)

As much as I'd love to spend a week in The Waverley Bar in Dumbarton for ma holidays(HA HA), I'm off to New Jersey for a week in July, for a wee convention.

Cheers

Lynn

Where abouts in Jersey Lynn?

Not long back from Thailand and Laos, think the rest of the year will be restricted to visits home and maybe a long weekend somewhere in the States :(

Everybody loves Baz
Alcudia, Majorca for me in June.Cant wait!!!!

2 weeks all inclusive!!!!

:cheers::cheers::food-smiley-004::beer::thumb:

What's the name of the hotel??

We went to the viva village there and it was pretty good.

Going to Portinax/Ibiza in may, then somewhere else in september.

Toying with going to Florida for the first time. We have a wee boy who will be 3 in April.

Any tips gratefully welcomed.

If your son is into Mickey Mouse/Disney, go for it, he will be at that age to love them and there is still plenty of small rides for him to go on.

When he gets older he will not be interested in MM or Donald Duck etc so take him now and watch his face light up.

You and your missus can still do the big rides as they operate a baby swap at most parks....ie you queue together then one does the ride as the other 'babysits' then when they have finished the other one gets on).

This year i will have a 4yr old and a 14yr old to keep happy.:eek:

Off to Munich for a long weekend with the boys in a fortnight, then off to Amsterdam mid-April with the missus for another long weekend. (Wee fella dropped of at his Granparents for the weekend)

No plans for the summer - possible week in Puerto Polenca, Majorca as it's good there for the nipper. Or even try to surupticiously link in a family holiday with any potential inter-toto advnture...

If your son is into Mickey Mouse/Disney, go for it, he will be at that age to love them and there is still plenty of small rides for him to go on.

When he gets older he will not be interested in MM or Donald Duck etc so take him now and watch his face light up.

You and your missus can still do the big rides as they operate a baby swap at most parks....ie you queue together then one does the ride as the other 'babysits' then when they have finished the other one gets on).

This year i will have a 4yr old and a 14yr old to keep happy.:eek:

I disagree.

:cool:

Also Prague March.Bodrum summer hols July

Bodrum is fantastic. Go to mr Horribles in Gumbet which is 5 min away. Hearts memorabilia and they'll stick the hearts song on for you. The owner has adopted hearts as his side. We've been the last 2 years.

Gong to Kinghorn for the summer and Pease Bay

My aunt has a caravan in Pease bay. Will be down for a couple of weekends myself

Reading about how the majority go for 2 or 3 holidays a year on here has made me realise i need to save my pennies and travel more

Off to Americas on 7th March for a week, where are you staying.

Going to Zante in the summer at some point mum wants to go to Bruges In March for a few days for a Pi$$ up. Also want to go away for week in June after the exams but we'll wait and see...

going back to the states next year I cant wait

Offski to Zante in August for a fortnight, any idea what it's like these days, was excellent a few years ago.

Suspect Device
Off to Hong Kong in 2 weeks time, then on to Krabi in Thailand finishing up in Bangkok for 2 nights :)

HK is great, 'copies' of everything you could want.

the made to measure shirts i got are excellent too.

cocktails in The Feather Boa is worth it (old stylee cocktail lounge, and only do 2 or 3 diff cocktails a night !)

was in Tignes snowboarding end Jan / beg. Feb

away again end March hopefully (looking for a good deal)

South France in Sept.

I've recently discover that I have to go to Moscow with work for a few days.

Has anyone been there?

I have to go to Toronto, New York and Moscow in the space of a month. great if I wasn't doing long days most of my time there.

Dr Ian Malcolm

A night in Barcelona, Benicassm for 8 days, another night in Barcelona, 3 nights in Lisbon then 4 nights in the algarve if we can get it booked.

First time going to Lisbon - anyone with any useful info? Really fancy seeing the Estadio Da Luz. Sporting look too much like Celtic for comfort.

Your all minted.

Three holidays a year and wives and kids.

I take it you all work for the cooncil?

Dont think i can afford anywhere this year, probably just day trips to the Safari park and the Botanic gardens.

Unless you miserable baskets start tipping taxi drivers and stop slipping me cents and left over euros.

Has anyone been there?

I have to go to Toronto, New York and Moscow in the space of a month. great if I wasn't doing long days most of my time there.

Are you the Bolshoi, by any chance? :cheese:

First time going to Lisbon - anyone with any useful info? Really fancy seeing the Estadio Da Luz. Sporting look too much like Celtic for comfort.

Depends on what you mean by useful. I'll quote you my post from earlier in the thread, which is definitely relevant if you want to go see Benfica.

Love Lisbon. If you haven't been before, take the short trip to Belem. If it's during the footy season, get yourself a ticket for Benfica. If she's not into that, tell her that Portugal's largest shopping mall is next door. It's true.

Has anyone been there?

One of my mates went to a 4 day stag do in Moscow just before Christmas.

He said it was a fantastic city (especially if you've got money).

Has anyone been there?

I've been to Moscow Taz, but not since the heady days of Gorbachev and his pals. (1989 to be precise).

If you have time, try and go and see Lenin in his mausoleum as well as the rest of Red Square (no doubt GUM has "improved" since I was last there, visit the Novodevichy Convent, check out the Arbat.

Oh, and the Metro is beautiful.

Where is everyone going on Holiday this year?

Have you got anything booked yet or are some of you last minute people?

I am going to Alton Towers in April and Cyprus in August :)

TX Jambo has just moved to Orlando, so there are now two Edinburgh Jambo's in Orlando - please get in touch!

A night in Barcelona, Benicassm for 8 days, another night in Barcelona, 3 nights in Lisbon then 4 nights in the algarve if we can get it booked.

I'm 9 days in algarve 4 in lisbon.... June the 4th - 18th.... canny wait.

Was in Caribbean in january,London in March,Benidorm in May 31st,Cruise and stay in Sept in the Med and looking for a Christmas or New Year destination....God Bless the Oil industry:)

Where is everyone going on Holiday this year?

Have you got anything booked yet or are some of you last minute people?

I am going to Alton Towers in April and Cyprus in August :)

Cheap week in benidorm me and the missus ?309 in april,2 weeks all inclusive Sharm el Sheik august :wavey:

tommythejambo
I'm actually looking for suggestions for a week away with the lads.

I want somewhere hot and a hotel with a bar and swimming pool.

We went to Malia years ago and it was a bit 'oi oi' for me.

Somewhere with less plebs would be good. I noticed you can get deals to places like Malaga for less than ?200 each.

I'd recommend Kardamena in Kos.

12 of us are off to Kavos on the 18th of July.

24 hour bar, canny beat it.

Dr Ian Malcolm
I'd recommend Kardamena in Kos.

12 of us are off to Kavos on the 18th of July.

24 hour bar, canny beat it.

Where you staying - if its the Odysseus, then you'll no be at the 24hr bar for 24hrs - Johnny the Albanian barman is mental - good laugh like, but no for 24 hrs!

Get yourself next door to the forum bar - complete with our signed saltire pride of place. Get friendly with owners - we watched all our 2006 WC games in there - they made sure we had our usual seats, table service etc. Great place.

I've been to Moscow Taz, but not since the heady days of Gorbachev and his pals. (1989 to be precise).

If you have time, try and go and see Lenin in his mausoleum as well as the rest of Red Square (no doubt GUM has "improved" since I was last there, visit the Novodevichy Convent, check out the Arbat.

Oh, and the Metro is beautiful.

Shock Horror. :eek::wavey:

Nobody going to the Dominican? Still to book but think it's where we will end up. Done the north anyone got an idea of the South/East?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

5 weeks until I'm off to Egypt for a week in the sun and I can't wait.

Already booked a day trip to Cairo (by plane) to visit the Pyramids, River Nile etc and have also booked a trip quad biking in the desert.

:)

Center Parcs for the fourth year in a row, great affordable holiday if you have wee kids. We'll probably go away for a short break later in the year too, somewhere in Scotland or England.

Archived