The Weedge

Craig_

No, not yet another weegie-baiting thread! Against my better judgement, I might soon need to be living in Glasgow for work reasons.

Not being too familiar with the place, I was just wondering if any Glasgow-based KBers had any advice about decent parts to live (I know the West End's nice, but it would probably be somewhere in the southside on the basis of cost and location).

Ideally somewhere fairly close to the city centre, with boozers you could actually drink in without getting stabbed and sufficiently far away from Ibronx and Darkheid!

Is that possible?!

conn artist

i used to live in the anderston/charing x area near to the mitchell library, not too far to the west end, well decent boozers around there, city centre 10-15mins walk away. bath street 5 mins away. only real issue there was there is no tube but you dont really need it anyway. i wish i was still living in that area but could not afford to buy in that area. so now live over the water at kinning park near the broken squinty bridge (bit to rangers for my liking tho). if you do move check out a letting agent called newton letting, very honest bunch and have loads of flats in the area i am describing.

Ivan Drago
i used to live in the anderston/charing x area near to the mitchell library, not too far to the west end, well decent boozers around there, city centre 10-15mins walk away. bath street 5 mins away. only real issue there was there is no tube but you dont really need it anyway. i wish i was still living in that area but could not afford to buy in that area. so now live over the water at kinning park near the broken squinty bridge (bit to rangers for my liking tho). if you do move check out a letting agent called newton letting, very honest bunch and have loads of flats in the area i am describing.

Kinning park is no a bad area, as you say it is a bit 'Rangers' though. At least you are near an underground though which makes life a lot easier.

Ron Burgundy

Both my mum and my sister stay in Newton Mearns.

It,s ok I suppose.

Cheers for the advice folks, keep it coming!

Kinning Park does look a bit too close to Ibrox for my liking. Really needs to be further south so I can get out of the city fairly easily in the mornings (down the A77). Was thinking around Pollokshields/shaws, Govanhill, Shawlands etc.

steviefrailspants

Would definitely recommend Shawlands.

Loads of pubs / places to eat and a decent night out without the need to go into the city centre.

Walkable (or a short bus / train ride) from the city centre.

Also close to Hampden for all the future times Heartswill be playing there :)

cosanostra

That's exactly where i live, a stones throw from the Mitchell Library. It is a great place to live and i absolutely love it. I bought the place when i was 21 so i was lucky to do so before the housing prices went mental. It's right between the city centre and the west end.

Charing X, Woodlands, Finnieston, Kelvingrove Park, Hillhead, St Georges X, Dowanhill, Botanics etc are all really cool places to live, i'd suggest driving about and seeing the places for yourself.

Denny Crane

Hyndland, Hillhead, Shawlands, Queen's Park, Bellahouston, Thornwood, Kelvinside are fairly decent.

Kinning Park has long threatened to be an up and coming area but still hovers on the periphery. Partick is hit and miss - do some research before commiting to anything there.

conn artist
Cheers for the advice folks, keep it coming!

Kinning Park does look a bit too close to Ibrox for my liking. Really needs to be further south so I can get out of the city fairly easily in the mornings (down the A77). Was thinking around Pollokshields/shaws, Govanhill, Shawlands etc.

avoid govanhill, i looked at flats in this area and at best i could describe it as bandit country. the flats look nice from the outside but the area is pretty sketchy, cross the victoria road about 2mins away and its strathbungo/shawlands neck of the woods, totally differant, train line straight into town to central station.

cosanostra
avoid govanhill, i looked at flats in this area and at best i could describe it as bandit country. the flats look nice from the outside but the area is pretty sketchy, cross the victoria road about 2mins away and its strathbungo/shawlands neck of the woods, totally differant, train line straight into town to central station.

Yeah, Shawlands is about a million times better than Govanhill. I'm not impressed with Partick either.

conn artist
Kinning park is no a bad area, as you say it is a bit 'Rangers' though. At least you are near an underground though which makes life a lot easier.

where i live is just a minute from the grand ole opry. when the football is on at ibrox it does my nut in all the rangers fans milling about and a couple of the pubs there i woulld not set foot in, the rest of the time it is sofa king quite you forget all about the huns. and when the squnity bridge re-opens its only a ten minunte walk back to where i used to live at anderston. the motorway down to the M77 is also only about 2mins awy in the car. i recommend it.

Ivan Drago
where i live is just a minute from the grand ole opry. when the football is on at ibrox it does my nut in all the rangers fans milling about and a couple of the pubs there i woulld not set foot in, the rest of the time it is sofa king quite you forget all about the huns. and when the squnity bridge re-opens its only a ten minunte walk back to where i used to live at anderston. the motorway down to the M77 is also only about 2mins awy in the car. i recommend it.

aye, even where i am (Tradeston, at west st underfround) all the pubs are still all rangers pubs. Would go in for a pint now and again but never during a match. Im only 10 minutes from city centre so as well just walking into there for a pint.

conn artist
aye, even where i am (Tradeston, at west st underfround) all the pubs are still all rangers pubs. Would go in for a pint now and again but never during a match. Im only 10 minutes from city centre so as well just walking into there for a pint.

do you live in those flats right beside the esso?, i looked at a flat there, nice wee flat but the traffic outside was murder. still well walkable home after a night out to my bit but tradeston is rolling distance from subclub arches etc.

Ivan Drago
do you live in those flats right beside the esso?, i looked at a flat there, nice wee flat but the traffic outside was murder. still well walkable home after a night out to my bit but tradeston is rolling distance from subclub arches etc.

No but i know the ones you mean. I am in the new ones right across from the Esso, right in front of where the M8 comes off.

they are building new flats just across the road from me as well.

if you like wildlife and being in the outdoors, I'd recommend Possil Park.

No need for gym membership, you'll spend your time running for your life.

if you like wildlife and being in the outdoors, I'd recommend Possil Park.

No need for gym membership, you'll spend your time running for your life.

Sounds great. And the flats are so reasonable as well! :)

Needs to be southside though...

Worked through there for about 10 years, can not bring myself to moving there though. If I was to move, the only place I would consider would be the west end.

Comute!!

Worked through there for about 10 years, can not bring myself to moving there though. If I was to move, the only place I would consider would be the west end.

Comute!!

I'd love to commute, but the job's in Ayrshire, so it's a bit of a compromise as it is!

Still, the cheap property and the nightlife would just about make up for having to live amongst the unwashed!

Pete Seeger
I'd love to commute, but the job's in Ayrshire, so it's a bit of a compromise as it is!

Still, the cheap property and the nightlife would just about make up for having to live amongst the unwashed!

Newton Mearns is nice enough and it's on the road to Ayrshire. Or Giffnock?

conn artist

do not commute, i did it for a year and it is a nightmare, gettin up way too early and getting home way too late. cant be arsed doing anything when you get home etc. movin through is the only option if you take a job through here. its not like your moving to london, you can be back in th burgh in an hour.

Adi Dassler

My attitude towards Glasgow and Glaswegians in general has changed somewhat since i started working through there.

Mostly i find the folk i work with in Glasgow a lot more down to earth than their counterparts in the Edinburgh office who would walk past you in the street rather than say good morning. I am generalising obviously but i have definitely noticed a difference in attitute between the two, and it doesn't reflect well on Edinburgh.

Obviously i have fell out with a couple of Celtic fans already, one of whom refuses to even talk to me after i pulled him up about his "Celtic fans are the best in the world" chat at my first works night out. He reckons they are always ambushed coming up McLeod Street with folk bricking them from the Railway Bridge, i told him i've been back from Parkhead on a windowless bus on more than one occasion. He reckons all Edinburgh football fans are "casuals", i told him they are all knuckle dragging tramps.

But apart from that most of them are a pleasure to work with.

cosanostra
My attitude towards Glasgow and Glaswegians in general has changed somewhat since i started working through there.

Mostly i find the folk i work with in Glasgow a lot more down to earth than their counterparts in the Edinburgh office who would walk past you in the street rather than say good morning. I am generalising obviously but i have definitely noticed a difference in attitute between the two, and it doesn't reflect well on Edinburgh.

Obviously i have fell out with a couple of Celtic fans already, one of whom refuses to even talk to me after i pulled him up about his "Celtic fans are the best in the world" chat at my first works night out. He reckons they are always ambushed coming up McLeod Street with folk bricking them from the Railway Bridge, i told him i've been back from Parkhead on a windowless bus on more than one occasion. He reckons all Edinburgh football fans are "casuals", i told him they are all knuckle dragging tramps.

But apart from that most of them are a pleasure to work with.

Good work in schooling the thicko Celtic fan, most of them believe the greatest fans in the world pish and it's incredibly sad.

I've not noticed any difference in levels of freindliness between residents of the 2 cities though. Scottish people are usually quite friendly in general.

Archived