Zaliukas v Pressley

Jambo-Chappy

It was actually Pro-Elvis and Anti-Elvis but there you go, we've both misread it.

Either way people are entitled to their opinions, Pressley caused a lot of turmoil at the club and people are rightly going to still harbour some ill feeling towards him, his actions after his playing career certainly haven't helped change people's opinions of him. By the end of his career at the club, he wasn't that great a footballer, you can bum up his leadership skills if you want but his performances on the field were sliding quite drastically.

I don't have an issue that people have a personal problem with him. The chest thumping was out of order and angered most Hearts fans. Some are still hurting from that which they are entitled to be. There is no defence for his actions since leaving us.

It just seems that this thread has shown that some people are so desperate to hate him that they are trying to rewrite history.

All of those who prefer Elvis have been able to big him up whilst also praising Captain Zal.

Most of those who prefer Zal to Elvis have been able to big up Zal whilst also giving Elvis his due as a very good player and captain.

The remaining few have made themselves look completely ridiculous by claiming Pressley was a shite player and captain. They are a huge minority though and every balanced opinion which is added to this thread serves to make their claims look even more childish and bitter.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you want us to get a shite manager in just to piss off some folk on here?

For the record I'm no great fan of McGlynn but he's 10 times the manager Pressley is.

Yeah, cos I have the power to appoint a manager just to annoy folk on here.

Or maybe I am on here wasting time, avoiding work, just like the rest of us, hmmm ?

I don't have an issue that people have a personal problem with him. The chest thumping was out of order and angered most Hearts fans. Some are still hurting from that which they are entitled to be. There is no defence for his actions since leaving us.

It just seems that this thread has shown that some people are so desperate to hate him that they are trying to rewrite history.

All of those who prefer Elvis have been able to big him up whilst also praising Captain Zal.

Most of those who prefer Zal to Elvis have been able to big up Zal whilst also giving Elvis his due as a very good player and captain.

The remaining few have made themselves look completely ridiculous by claiming Pressley was a shite player and captain. They are a huge minority though and every balanced opinion which is added to this thread serves to make their claims look even more childish and bitter.

Which posters are you referring to?

I have stated players that I think hold more footballing ability than Pressley - I never said he was a bad player himself, limited in some respects and out of his depth at all his other clubs apart from Hearts.

Zaliukas posed for a photo in a wee toy car before our game against Ross County. **** it, he wins just for that.

Elvis by the length of Gorgie Road and back again.

But I need to add that Zal in the last season or so has improved his game by copious amounts

:spoton:

That's your opinion mines differs. Now where's ma crayon....

Not at all, generally I think most of ur posts are pretty well reasoned and fair. I might not agree with you on topics like this but each to their own.

The point in question clearly isn't true though, not my opinion, just fact. If you go to page one, you'll spot some of the "Bombscare" crew calling out people's opinions just a few posts in.

Which posters are you referring to?

I have stated players that I think hold more footballing ability than Pressley - I never said he was a bad player himself, limited in some respects and out of his depth at all his other clubs apart from Hearts.

These:

Pressley was a terrible player.

Terrible.

A typical "braveheart" centre half but could barely play football.

Did you see Pressley play for Scotland? Horrific. Embarrassing at international level.

Pressley was crap. Zal by a mile

These:

I stand by both my comments. Pressley has his assets but was not a talented footballer.

Can you explain why that makes me childish and bitter? Or are you once again part of a queer band of posters on this thread that want to personally attack and discredit other posters for holding a different opinion to you.

I stand by both my comments. Pressley has his assets but was not a talented footballer.

Can you explain why that makes me childish and bitter? Or are you once again part of a queer band of posters on this thread that want to personally attack and discredit other posters for holding a different opinion to you.

If you genuinely think Pressley could barely play football and was horrific and embarrassing for Scotland then you know nothing about football or you are being bitter or childish.

:thumbsup:

Zal > Pressley

By the length of Dalry and Gorgie road, from one end to the other there and back again etc etc etc...

:verysmug:

If you genuinely think Pressley could barely play football and was horrific and embarrassing for Scotland then you know nothing about football or you are being bitter or childish.

I think my judgement is sound. I had you pegged for trying to get a rise out of posters since you joined this site and I was bang on the cash. Posters like Mothy, ClerryJambo, Lionheart etc...they have all been posting some pretty decent stuff lately. You are completely isolated now and I think it's time you took a wee break from your trolling.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

:spoton:

I think my judgement is sound. I had you pegged for trying to get a rise out of posters since you joined this site and I was bang on the cash. Posters like Mothy, ClerryJambo, Lionheart etc...they have all been posting some pretty decent stuff lately. You are completely isolated now and I think it's time you took a wee break from your trolling.

See above :verysmug:

a bit rich from someone who described Kevin McKenna as having more ability than Steven Pressley.

a bit rich from someone who described Kevin McKenna as having more ability than Steven Pressley.

How many years has Pressley performed in the Bundesliga? Now considered a league with more quality across the board than any other.

I'm afraid you might be showing that sheltered Scottish "blood and thunder" bias that others do. I recko you rate Darren Barr higher than KM too.

Pressley for me. It amuses me greatly the chest thumping is still under some folks skin. I always saw it as a dig at the Hearts board.

Elvis was a phenomenal captain.

Zal is a phenomenal captain.

You ask me to pick, I pick Elvis.

Who was Real Madrids best ever midfielder?...mind you can't pick Zidane cos he did something unsportsmanlike for a different team which taints his entire career with Real.

Line cast......

Sorry, couldn't resist :10900:

In light of new information can you make a few changes to the agenda you sent out for next week's Bizarro Clique meeting?

Scrap agenda item 1: the awareness campaign. It turns out that people do still post about us after all so we can cancel the leaflet and poster order as well.

Scrap agenda item 2: membership recap. I've been reliably informed that membership consists of you, me, Mothy, Clerry Jambo, Etc. Though not sure who this Etc fella is and Clerry hasn't attended a meeting for years. Mothy is always steaming at meetings and your fees are overdue!

Can we add an agenda item in called: Standards of Posting. I'll get certificates made up for the rest of you who have attained the "Scott Jambo Decent Stuff" award and I'd like twenty minutes set aside so that I can make a heartfelt apology to the rest of the Clique for letting you all down.

Not at all, generally I think most of ur posts are pretty well reasoned and fair. I might not agree with you on topics like this but each to their own.

The point in question clearly isn't true though, not my opinion, just fact. If you go to page one, you'll spot some of the "Bombscare" crew calling out people's opinions just a few posts in.

Sorry you do have a point.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

In light of new information can you make a few changes to the agenda you sent out for next week's Bizarro Clique meeting?

Scrap agenda item 1: the awareness campaign. It turns out that people do still post about us after all so we can cancel the leaflet and poster order as well.

Scrap agenda item 2: membership recap. I've been reliably informed that membership consists of you, me, Mothy, Clerry Jambo, Etc. Though not sure who this Etc fella is and Clerry hasn't attended a meeting for years. Mothy is always steaming at meetings and your fees are overdue!

Can we add an agenda item in called: Standards of Posting. I'll get certificates made up for the rest of you who have attained the "Scott Jambo Decent Stuff" award and I'd like twenty minutes set aside so that I can make a heartfelt apology to the rest of the Clique for letting you all down.

mutley-pmsl.gif

Hoping Scott accepts my apology tbh, don't want to miss out on the certificate, nervous times !!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm a bit dicked off at not being considered the leader to be honest. I am infinitely better looking, more intelligent and have style coming out my tear-ducts. :smug:

When did Clerry join our ranks though? :lol:

I was cringing reading that

mutley-pmsl.gif

Hoping Scott accepts my apology tbh, don't want to miss out on the certificate, nervous times !!

I'll even use the colour printer to make them bit more special. :thumbsup:

Ah... But where would Webster fit in... Or Berra? :lol:

Elvis and Webster with Zaliukas strolling behind in the libero role.

:love:

:wow:

Ah... But where would Webster fit in... Or Berra? :lol:

I thought webster was sacked? Sure there was a post about it earlier...

:lol:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I like The Marquis and Scott... But I am mates with Budgie, LionHeart etc... I also like Clerry... I believe Pressley, Webster, Zaliukas and Berra are all amongst the best Hearts defenders in my lifetime... What is a boy to do?

Scrambled eggs all over my face. :lol:

Footballer: Zaliukas

Defender: Pressley

Man: Zaliukas

Captain: urgh... Pressley, mibbe.

Good question. Why are so many people on a football forum adverse to debates?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Common sense can be found directly above. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

First off I think it's brilliant that we are in this position to have the argument in the first place! Hearts have been blessed with top captains and long may it continue!

Aside from the incident with Elvis (I couldn't make that game so don't feel as aggrieved as others), though I believe his style of play, a dying style, is what clouds people's judgment. Scotland as a country has fallen far behind the rest of the world in football and I believe that it is 'Pressley' types, the more vocal of players who stamped their no nonsense style on the rest, is what has been a problem in Scotland! I can imagine 'tippy tappy' (which really means passing, movement and skill) football being screemed out of players as the likes of the old gaurd insisting in 'clearing your lines' and 'punt it up to the big man'. This suited pressleys style, he was fantastic at it and it suited the style of play at the time!

Now that football has rightfully evolved, centre backs are much more composed on the ball, full backs bomb forward (defending is often an after thought for the better teams) and play is built carefully from the back! Not in Scotland though, we are slow on the uptake, Webster still has the hoof influence (imagine if he could comfortably pass the ball like a piqu? type player), as does 90% of the spl, though Zal has natural distribution in his game! Sure modern defenders probably make more mistakes because they simply take more risks, though especially on a European level, you need to build from the back! When you build from the back, the rest of the team feeds off this, gain more space and adjust their style of play! I just feel the Pressleys and Weirs of this world has halted Scottish progression in this area and we hold this style in high regard when it's time to move on!

Pressley was fantastic at the time, though the Zal type of player is healthier for the future of Scottish football (I.e influencing our home grown players and progressing Scottish football)!

Spot on mate. Absolutely spot on.

The thing is it could have been Pressley saying this going by his interviews since retirement, he'd probably be the first to admit how limited he was as a player!

What the hell has happened to this thread............

Ken what none o the 2 of them could lace Davie Weir's boots when he played for the famous, was basically MOM after each match when being disected in the boozer afterwards........

Now there's a Friday Fact for you all :davebp:

What the hell has happened to this thread............

Ken what none o the 2 of them could lace Davie Weir's boots when he played for the famous, was basically MOM after each match when being disected in the boozer afterwards........

Now there's a Friday Fact for you all :davebp:

Not a bad shout. Big Zal still shades it for me though.

Just when the likes of Cesni turned up on this thread to make it bearable, this last page goes and happens. What a beamer for a few folk :vrface:

Not a bad shout. Big Zal still shades it for me though.

Oh Jabba, respect other folks opinions mate ( well most of them!! ) but jist dinnae :10900:

I reckon Zal should top the captain choice as well though. As was said earlier, he's pulled the team through tougher periods than Snakely and with a good deal more class. Also captained a lesser group of players to the greatest achievement/best result in our club's recent history.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm going tostep back now and watch the seethers do their thing. :curtain:

So nobody has tried to claim Pressley was shite then?

The post you responded to was pointing out the difference between being Pro-Zal and Anti-Pressley.

I'll even use the colour printer to make them bit more special. :thumbsup:

Anti-Bizarro type post imo. :)

Elvis and Webster with Zaliukas strolling behind in the libero role.

:wow:

I'm going tostep back now and watch the seethers do their thing.

:jjyay:

Guest Dipped Flake

Would agree with all of that apart from the mibbe bit

Archived