Zaliukas v Pressley

Jambo-Chappy

Amazing how the clique turn on anyone who dare to look down on Captain Zal... they hate snakely chest thumper and blame him for the divisions in the team (obviously brainwashed Gordon and Hartley).

People seem to forget tha Zal was part of the mass influx that led to squad unrest, divisions in the squad, different languages, cliques etc. When Zal first started with us he was awful, truly awful. It was thanks to the like of Pressley, Webster, Karipidis and others that Zal became the player he is now... he has benefited from some great players at the club none more so than Pressley.

But Zal cried when he won the SC so obviously he is the best.., and he bought his top back at auction... nice gesture but FFS he is loaded. If he was the best defender in the spl... he wouldn't still be with us.

Nobody will change my mind on Pressley being nothing other than a great Hearts Captain who made a fud of himself one day at Tynie albeit to get back at Vlad. It doesn't change his contribution to us one bit.

Zal is a good captain, better than Berra... brought on leaps and bounds by Webster, a nice bloke, top lad... the 'lads' hero... but owes his career, his game to those he's learned from... and a major influence is Pressley.

He was captain when we all believed it was possible to break the OF... and we did.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, give me some credit. I get your tone. I was poking fun at the irony of his obsession with obsessively calling me obsessive for obsessively trolling him twice.

He is quite infatuated with you though, Tommy boy ;-)

And still it goes on. Thought your work was done? You on overtime now??

;-)

Gives you a wee chance for a smiley tho!

Your awful post certainly does.

:cornette:

^^^^ This one. ^^^^

It's a real tough one but Pressley just gets it for me. He gave absolutely everyting for Hearts, was a good solid consistent defender and captained the club to a Scottish Cup triumph. I think he was prefectly justified in taking centre stage in the "Riccarton Three" incident given the bizarre manner in which Vlad was running the club at the time. It was a disappointing way to end his Hearts career and I think there's every chance he would have finished his playing days at Tynecastle had that not happened. I hate any player going to either Old Firm club but under the circumstances I can't really blame him. He also represented the club well by playing for Scotland (is he our most capped player?).

On the other hand, Zal is an absolute legend who has achieved a lot of what Pressley has but he hasn't served the club as long as Pressley nor has been as consistent as Pressley was. I'm sure I'll change my mind though when I watch the 2012 cup final again!

It's a real tough one but Pressley just gets it for me. He gave absolutely everyting for Hearts, was a good solid consistent defender and captained the club to a Scottish Cup triumph. I think he was prefectly justified in taking centre stage in the "Riccarton Three" incident given the bizarre manner in which Vlad was running the club at the time. It was a disappointing way to end his Hearts career and I think there's every chance he would have finished his playing days at Tynecastle had that not happened. I hate any player going to either Old Firm club but under the circumstances I can't really blame him. He also represented the club well by playing for Scotland (is he our most capped player?).

On the other hand, Zal is an absolute legend who has achieved a lot of what Pressley has but he hasn't served the club as long as Pressley nor has been as consistent as Pressley was. I'm sure I'll change my mind though when I watch the 2012 cup final again!

I've made it clear on this thread I thought Pressley was better, but come on. Let's be fair.

Pressley played for Hearts for 8 years. Zaliukas has been at Hearts for 7 years. You can hardly say Zal "hasn't served the club as long".

I've made it clear on this thread I thought Pressley was better, but come on. Let's be fair.

Pressley played for Hearts for 8 years. Zaliukas has been at Hearts for 7 years. You can hardly say Zal "hasn't served the club as long".

True, there's not much in it in terms of length of service but I just remember Pressley playing consistently well for a longer period of time whereas Zal was more of a slow burner who took longer to establish himself and win over the fans. In terms of playing ability, again, there's probably not a huge amount in it but Pressley did just seem more consistent. For me, watching Zal lift the cup at Hampden does surpass Pressley lifting the cup though.

Both have been/are great servants to the club and I'm glad I've had the chance to see them wear the famous maroon shirt! :jjyay:

Elvis held the side, squad, team together for years and years.

Any time he wasn't playing it was an "aw no"

Thank god a lot of sensible folk have come out to play on this thread.

Stephen Pressley is the best captain the club has had since I've watched the famous. Even when he wasn't captain he was phenomenal.

How we got him so cheap with mcswegan was unreal. Match after match he would pull us out the mire and lead by example. All of Craig Leviens reign he was the man.

Zaliukas is a fantastic player now and may 19th will live with me forever. He's no Elvis though.

Another thing, same thing that happens in any Romanov thread - same folk who don't agree with the opinion of anything anti Romanov/ pro Elvis get slagged to **** and it's not even reasonable. But as usual they get away with it.

Ironic thing is its always the anti Romanov/ other opinion that get called the aggressive ones when in fact it's the other way about. Have an opinion that's not for Romanov or not Zal ahead of Elvis as a collective bunch you get slagged. Say any thing against that and it's a single posters aggressive attitude that gets pointed out.

I find it kinda sad that a lot of people posting on this thread have forgotten what a great servant Elvis was for the club.

Also,a lot of people talking about footballing 'ability' but I think the most important thing when your a centre-back is the ability to DEFEND no?! IMO, Pressely edges it in this department as he played consistently well over a longer period of time and made less errors. In saying that, I do feel that if Zal stayed at the club for a few more years and maintained his current form he would overtake Elvis.

It seems to all come down to, can you forgive him for the sellik chest thump? I can

First rule of the clique, deny there is a clique

Second rule of the clique, take an opposite view of those who state there is a clique

Third rule of the clique, be easily offended by chest thumping

Another thing, same thing that happens in any Romanov thread - same folk who don't agree with the opinion of anything anti Romanov/ pro Elvis get slagged to **** and it's not even reasonable. But as usual they get away with it.

Ironic thing is its always the anti Romanov/ other opinion that get called the aggressive ones when in fact it's the other way about. Have an opinion that's not for Romanov or not Zal ahead of Elvis as a collective bunch you get slagged. Say any thing against that and it's a single posters aggressive attitude that gets pointed out.

Not really true though is it?

I stay off kickback for the night, and this kicks off :lol:

I honestly loved both these guys at Hearts (present tense with Zal, of course), but if I had to choose, it would be Zaliukas.

In the last 3 years or so, Zal has been an absolute rock for the club, both in terms of on the park contribution and being a tremendous ambassador for the club, especially in the dark days of November when it looked like the club might die. Of course, Elvis was a great leader as well, and he might have pipped Zal if he didn't do what he did with Celtic. I had few problems with him joining THEM, as he was a free agent, but his behaviour on his return to Tynecastle was disrespectful to the fans that idolised him.

Both lead us to great cup victories/Hampden maulings of Hibernian as well :greggy:

So hope Pressley is our next manager.

Just to get it right up the whining tarts on here.

I'm afraid he has looked pretty mediocre as a manager, so no.

Unless you prefer a few fans being a bit unhappy over the success of the club.

So hope Pressley is our next manager.

Just to get it right up the whining tarts on here.

So you want us to get a shite manager in just to piss off some folk on here?

For the record I'm no great fan of McGlynn but he's 10 times the manager Pressley is.

Both great captains and role models who I'm proud to have watched in my lifetime. The same folk on here who are convinced Zal wouldnt chest pump, are the ones who can't let the Pressley thing go.

john brownlee

Nailed it.

A far, far too sensible a post for here!!!

even though its wrong but its OK as it fits your scheme of things

Zal everytime

Many will not be able to divide the opinion from Elvis who was a great captain and the man who returned for the club we possibly hate the most and behaved disgracefully. I include myself in thst.

Trying to be objective I do find it hard to decide.

Elvis was a winner and a determined sod who would run through a brick wall, he was good in tge air but lacked pace. Zal has all the similar atributes but covers the ground better . Where Elvis would fall down and win a free kick when he is in trouble Zal invariably trys to play and usually has a bomb scare moment.

As captain both have done well but while Elvis looked a natural leader Zal has grown into it, most were surprised he got the gig and many never saw a player there for a long time. I did and I supppse he has won almost everyone over. His dedication to the cause has been exeptional and he seems genuinely proud.

It is a hard one but I think Zal if he had rid himself of the bombscare moments woukd have been premiership material as have seen worse down there. Elvis peaked with us and pure guts got him through games.

Therefore as a player Zal and as captains gonna call it a draw but there isnt much in it.

Obviously, for a lot of people, Pressleys reputation was tarnished due to 'that' incident and it's their last abiding memory. However we should never forget what a good player, defender and captain he was. I've no idea what he was like off the field or whether he was liked on a personal level, but I don't really care because on the pitch he was superb, a real battler and a leader.

Zaliukas also has a great number of qualities. He has come through a lot to establish himself and overcome many doubters. Like all the Lithuanians they have to overcome the accusations of favouritism, the stigma of coming from a lower league and the anti-Vlad mentality. He has also had issues with form, lapses in concentration and discipline at times (although I think he has been harshly treated on in that respect due to his and heart reputation). However he has grown over the last 3-5 years into an excellent player, good leader and a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. He clearly loves Hearts and it will be a sad day when he leaves. He may not be as demonstrative or animated as Pressley was, however he has a calmness and positivity that I think works equally well in his role as a captain.

In terms of a comparison they both have their qualities. Pressley is probably the more rugged, committed and consistent player, however I would say Zal is technically a better football player, more composed, better going forward and better with the ball at his feet. He is also quicker that Pressley, but maybe doesn't read the game quite as well.

All in all, both great servants, both very good players, both cup winning captains and both players who should be in the Hearts hall of fame!

Lots of good points there, Heartbeat, I don't agree with it all but most is fair. Other than the "bombscare moments" and calling it a draw as captain, the only thing I would really take issue with was that his being given the captaincy was a surprise. I remember on here, and in real life, a significant number calling for him to be given it before it happened. He'd served his apprenticeship as vice captain, was an experienced, long serving player and was a clear leader to a lot of folk. Don't really remember any other major candidates tbh?

First off I think it's brilliant that we are in this position to have the argument in the first place! Hearts have been blessed with top captains and long may it continue!

Aside from the incident with Elvis (I couldn't make that game so don't feel as aggrieved as others), though I believe his style of play, a dying style, is what clouds people's judgment. Scotland as a country has fallen far behind the rest of the world in football and I believe that it is 'Pressley' types, the more vocal of players who stamped their no nonsense style on the rest, is what has been a problem in Scotland! I can imagine 'tippy tappy' (which really means passing, movement and skill) football being screemed out of players as the likes of the old gaurd insisting in 'clearing your lines' and 'punt it up to the big man'. This suited pressleys style, he was fantastic at it and it suited the style of play at the time!

Now that football has rightfully evolved, centre backs are much more composed on the ball, full backs bomb forward (defending is often an after thought for the better teams) and play is built carefully from the back! Not in Scotland though, we are slow on the uptake, Webster still has the hoof influence (imagine if he could comfortably pass the ball like a piqu? type player), as does 90% of the spl, though Zal has natural distribution in his game! Sure modern defenders probably make more mistakes because they simply take more risks, though especially on a European level, you need to build from the back! When you build from the back, the rest of the team feeds off this, gain more space and adjust their style of play! I just feel the Pressleys and Weirs of this world has halted Scottish progression in this area and we hold this style in high regard when it's time to move on!

Pressley was fantastic at the time, though the Zal type of player is healthier for the future of Scottish football (I.e influencing our home grown players and progressing Scottish football)!

First off I think it's brilliant that we are in this position to have the argument in the first place! Hearts have been blessed with top captains and long may it continue!

Aside from the incident with Elvis (I couldn't make that game so don't feel as aggrieved as others), though I believe his style of play, a dying style, is what clouds people's judgment. Scotland as a country has fallen far behind the rest of the world in football and I believe that it is 'Pressley' types, the more vocal of players who stamped their no nonsense style on the rest, is what has been a problem in Scotland! I can imagine 'tippy tappy' (which really means passing, movement and skill) football being screemed out of players as the likes of the old gaurd insisting in 'clearing your lines' and 'punt it up to the big man'. This suited pressleys style, he was fantastic at it and it suited the style of play at the time!

Now that football has rightfully evolved, centre backs are much more composed on the ball, full backs bomb forward (defending is often an after thought for the better teams) and play is built carefully from the back! Not in Scotland though, we are slow on the uptake, Webster still has the hoof influence (imagine if he could comfortably pass the ball like a piqu? type player), as does 90% of the spl, though Zal has natural distribution in his game! Sure modern defenders probably make more mistakes because they simply take more risks, though especially on a European level, you need to build from the back! When you build from the back, the rest of the team feeds off this, gain more space and adjust their style of play! I just feel the Pressleys and Weirs of this world has halted Scottish progression in this area and we hold this style in high regard when it's time to move on!

Pressley was fantastic at the time, though the Zal type of player is healthier for the future of Scottish football (I.e influencing our home grown players and progressing Scottish football)!

:clap:

No doubt you will be hit with some clique nonsense though. :lol:

On another note. The argument that Zaliukas miracuously became a good player when Webster arrived is very flawed. The first couple of months when Webster arrived, Zaliukas's usually great performances dipped a bit and there was an argument that Zal and Webster couldnt play together, Webster's strolling nature produced a couple of bombscare moments also. Since then they have worked together and seem to take it in turns to whip the young players into shape and at other times give them the support they need in front of at times an impatient almost neandrathal crowd.

Previous to Webster arriving. A young Zal and a young Berra struck up a very good partnership together, of course Zal was more prone to the high profile mistake but the general play and quality of defending of Berra and Zal was very good. Zal also formed a very effective partnership with Jose Goncalves, when we were in general murder to watch.

Fast forward some more and I remember Zal having various centre half partners, having to talk Jonsson Kucharski and Bouzid through various games, eventually Bouzid found his feet and another fairly effective partnership was formed. When Mcgowan got a glowing reference from Ayr Utd and started to perform decent in the defensive mid position, I was looking forward to a Zal Ryan Mcgowan partnership...however Webster joined us to the benefit of the team, mcgowan was placed in the right back position and the strongest defence in many years was formed which culminated in a 5-1 victory over Hibernian - the rest as they say is history.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Top postage :)

The pro-Elvis mob: Acknowledge the great contribution BOTH men have given to HMFC

The anti-Elvis mob: Knuckle draggers who can't see past one daft incident

Like I said in an earlier post, get over it.

The pro-Elvis mob: Acknowledge the great contribution BOTH men have given to HMFC

If you actually read the posts from the "anti-Elvis mob" you'd know that what you've just posted is bollocks.

But then that doesn't suit people's agendas to make Pressley some sort of martyr.

The Real Maroonblood

I find it kinda sad that a lot of people posting on this thread have forgotten what a great servant Elvis was for the club.

Also,a lot of people talking about footballing 'ability' but I think the most important thing when your a centre-back is the ability to DEFEND no?! IMO, Pressely edges it in this department as he played consistently well over a longer period of time and made less errors. In saying that, I do feel that if Zal stayed at the club for a few more years and maintained his current form he would overtake Elvis.

It seems to all come down to, can you forgive him for the sellik chest thump? I can

Kids will be kids.

Do we really need another degenerate member of the forum faux-analysing this thread? Or do you fancy contributing instead of abusing other posters point of view?

The boring as feck mob: Sad little men who would rather take pop shots than contribute.

Guest Dipped Flake

Pressley is the most inspirational captain I have seen in the 50 years I have followed Hearts. He was not the greatest footballer by a long way but he made up for his deficiencies by sheer hard work and determination. Zaliukas has grown into the job of Hearts captain and, in the last season or so, has become a better captain and player, and his love for Hearts shines through.

Don't really see the need for this thread except to have the usual snakely, and loads of extra hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs (not read any of the thread but I bet they are there).

Anyone who says that, during their time as a player at Tynecastle, that Zal is better than Pressley is mad IMO. Will still be sad to see Zal go and really hope that he gets a chance to play for us again before he leaves, or at least joins us on the podium when we, hopefully, list the league cup

Of Pressley

the criticisms others have made that he was all blood and thunder, and not enough technique.

That "either/or" leaves out his greatest quality, communication. You can see how that has rubbed off on Webster today.

Pressley was always talking, always organising, always paying attention. Even when he didn't kick a ball he made a massive contribution.

HillmanHearts

Late into the debate - not been on for while - just flipped thru the thread - so deff been covered but couldnae resist my tuppence worth on such a debate :

Pressley : Outstanding Leadership. Courageous & strong. Street-wise professional - Not quick. Not hugely skillful.

Zal : Pace. Power. Touch. Balance. Confidence. Terrific all-round ability. Growing into the leadership role.

Loved them both ( obs pre the Elvis chest thmping )

So Elvis best captain. Zal best player.

If you actually read the posts from the "anti-Elvis mob" you'd know that what you've just posted is bollocks.

But then that doesn't suit people's agendas to make Pressley some sort of martyr.

So nobody has tried to claim Pressley was shite then?

Late into the debate - not been on for while - just flipped thru the thread - so deff been covered but couldnae resist my tuppence worth on such a debate :

Pressley : Outstanding Leadership. Courageous & strong. Street-wise professional - Not quick. Not hugely skillful.

Zal : Pace. Power. Touch. Balance. Confidence. Terrific all-round ability. Growing into the leadership role.

Loved them both ( obs pre the Elvis chest thmping )

So Elvis best captain. Zal best player.

I'd go along with that actually, except I bare no ill will to Elvis over the 'chest thumping'.

Elvis a great leader and motivator sculpted in the traditional no nonsense style of a Scottish CB. His displays in the maroon jersey were immense and his commitment unquestionable... still our most capped player.

Zal has developed very well in his time here, not an amazing talent or he'd have moved on ages ago but has grown into his role at the club. His leadership style is different but passion for the club also unquestionable. His performances in the maroon jersey have been excellent but erratic, however I believe it is because of his will to win that some times this tips him over the edge and recently he has been leading a poorer side than Pressley with less experience in it.

It will be interesting to see how we finish the season without him tho, to see if we're going to miss him or not (on the park).

So nobody has tried to claim Pressley was shite then?

I clearly haven't said that though have I? I was disputing the generalisation that everyone who's picked Zaliukas has said that Pressley was shite, obviously bollocks.

But you knew that anyway.

I clearly haven't said that though have I? I was disputing the generalisation that everyone who's picked Zaliukas has said that Pressley was shite, obviously bollocks.

But you knew that anyway.

The post you responded to was pointing out the difference between being Pro-Zal and Anti-Pressley.

Can't remember zal ever punching his chest in front on us when playing for our rivals. Anyone who chooses snakey over zal :facepalm:

This.

The post you responded to was pointing out the difference between being Pro-Zal and Anti-Pressley.

It was actually Pro-Elvis and Anti-Elvis but there you go, we've both misread it.

Either way people are entitled to their opinions, Pressley caused a lot of turmoil at the club and people are rightly going to still harbour some ill feeling towards him, his actions after his playing career certainly haven't helped change people's opinions of him. By the end of his career at the club, he wasn't that great a footballer, you can bum up his leadership skills if you want but his performances on the field were sliding quite drastically.

Zal is the better man. Pressley was the longer serving and more effective player. Zal is also not a total prick.

This also.

I have been extremely lucky to see some fantastic center backs play for the famous over the years, Levein, McLaren, Webster but two player really stand out for me Elvis and the Baltic Beckenbauer, both have been at the club a similar length of time and lets be honest both had rather shaky starts to their careers but went on to be cup winning legends who were involved with humiliating the Hibs at Hampden. Zaliukas is a superior technical footballer but Elvis used his experience at a time when the SPL had a better quality of player than it currently does, so lets be objective here and look at all their qualities

Reading of the game- Elvis excelled here, he made up for his lack of pace by his superior reading of the game and very rarely got caught out of position which is possibly the one area where Zaliukas is still learning- Winner Elvis

Footballing ability- Clear win for the Baltic Beckenbauer here, he oozes class and is very comfortable driving forward with the ball at his feet driving the team on. Elvis unfortunately had a second touch that was a tackle, fortunately he got away with falling on the ball and drawing a foul-Winner Zali

Commitment- every week I see Zaliukas go down with an injury because he went into a challenge he probably had no right to win,I have seen him play on when i thought he would/should go off. Elvis would run through walls for us, played on with stitches in his head that required constant attention- Winner-DRAW

Leadership- Zaliukas has grown immensely in this department and has really stepped up to the plate in the recent difficult times, his gesture of buying back his own top was a truly touching moment,still receives a lot of help from Webster though. Elvis was also captain through a hugely tumultuous time,protests against the pieman,the potential selling of Tynecastle and yes the Riccarton incident when he felt he needed to stand up and speak out against the way the club was being run. He was immense on the pitch and during this time he also helped nurture Andrew Webster- Winner Elvis....but not by much

Legacy- Zaliukas will be greatly remembered as a man who came to Tynecastle under little fanfare but grew to love the club with a passion, the legendary captain of Hearts in their greatest cup final victory. A fantastic man who is loved by players and supporters alike he will without doubt be remembered as one of the greatest foreigners to ever play for the famous. Elvis was a legend who epitomized everything the club stood for, the backbone of the greatest team in 50 years and a refusal to accept defeat...spoiled his legacy with his antics at Tynecastle which some people will never forget, he is largely disliked by many of his peers-Winner Zaliukas

so when it comes down to it really it is a matter of personal preference, i have read some nonsense on here about Elvis being a limited player, however his wholehearted approach,reading of the game and determination always made him one of my favourite players in a maroon jersey. He played at a time when Scottish football was at a better level and had to deal with a host of off field problems. Zaliukas is one of my favourite players in recent years, his commitment and love for the club is evident and he has also become a tremendous ambassador for the club in difficult times.

For me i rate Captain-Elvis,legend-Elvis,man-Zaliukas

Archived