SPL Laughing Stock

TimeBandit

Just looking at the league table on BBC..

Noticed we have more points than Aberdeen, yet obviously we are below them in the league.

SPL split must be making Scotland the laughing stock of football..

You can finish with more points than another team,.. yet you finish below them in the league!!

Another reason for SPL to GTF.!

Hear this argument every year and I can't understand why.

Of course a team in the bottom 6 are likely to end up with more points, they have 5 much easier matches!

It's no big deal, I don't think the split is a good idea but don't have a problem with us being unable to finish above 7th even if we have more points than the team above us.

Only a Game
think of the bottom six as another league and dont look above 6th

And look at who is striding manfully clear at the top !!!! Mon the Hearts !!!!

(that was sarcasm btw)

Mr Quagmire
think of the bottom six as another league and dont look above 6th

oh yeah, were top of the League !!

Imeantasong
oh yeah, were top of the League !!

Title decider next Monday?

No wonder it's being televised.

Stewart MacD

Is it theoretically possible for Hearts to end up with more points than anyone apart from the evil twins? Although we have, on paper, an easier finish to the season, maybe we should complain to UEFA if we do.;)

Boab Mugabe

Turning in a non-performance at Killie means we're in this nonsense.

Only ourselves to blame.

brellierlegend

The SPL is pathetic. We need to rip up this ridiculous split up and change over to a 16/18 team league asap.

However, the ugly sisters would not like that because teams could potentially get closer to them at the top as you would only have to play them twice.

Seymour M Hersh

Of course a team in the bottom 6 are likely to end up with more points, they have 5 much easier matches!

It's no big deal, I don't think the split is a good idea but don't have a problem with us being unable to finish above 7th even if we have more points than the team above us.

But your final five fixtures could still be OF free. It does make the league look like a joke. Especially as (theoretically) we could finish 3rd on points but 7th.

Seymour M Hersh

Only ourselves to blame.

It's not just that game mate there have been far far too many games we have massively underperformed in. It's like blaming 86 on not scoring a barrow-load against Clydebank.

Hearts Heritage

The split is no more a 'farce' than having 'play offs' to decide promotion and relegation. They both are devices that go against the 'natural justice' of the league table.

The SPL teams would be very unlikely to vote for any expansion of the league size on the grounds of money

Less home games unless the league consisted of 20 teams

TV money diluted even further

The fundamental problem is NOT structural it is all to do with how large the ever increasing gap between the OF and the rest is.

Cut The Crap

Me neither.

Maybe if they drew a line between sixth and seventh it would help the hard of thinking to understand it. :P

Only ourselves to blame.

I blame the Palazuelos miss in that game:evilno:

And VR picking Ivaskevicius

Moe Szyslak
But your final five fixtures could still be OF free. It does make the league look like a joke. Especially as (theoretically) we could finish 3rd on points but 7th.

Only if you had already played the OF 4 times, whereas those of us in the bottom 6 will only play them 3 times.

If they insist on having this split they should go the whole way and call them 2 separate leagues (SPL 1 & 2), even though the bottom 6 wouldn't like being effectively "relegated". At least that would look no more stupid than Hamilton having more points than Gretna.

bean counter

This comes up every year and I’ve not really bothered with it before because we were always top six however now that we are not I have a question.

The money each team gets from the league, how is it calculated ? If it is dependent on final league position then the split can prevent teams from going from 7/8th to 5/6th. If on points then does the team in 7th have an advantage because they will play supposedly easier games ?

Seymour M Hersh
Only if you had already played the OF 4 times, whereas those of us in the bottom 6 will only play them 3 times.

If they insist on having this split they should go the whole way and call them 2 separate leagues (SPL 1 & 2), even though the bottom 6 wouldn't like being effectively "relegated". At least that would look no more stupid than Hamilton having more points than Gretna.

But we would have played them before the final 5 games. Played sellik 3rd game and der hun 6th game.

The SPL is pathetic. We need to rip up this ridiculous split up and change over to a 16/18 team league asap.

However, the ugly sisters would not like that because teams could potentially get closer to them at the top as you would only have to play them twice.

It's the wee teams that don't like it because they need all the money from playing against the 'OF'.

This is spot on the league is designed for the OF to win it

I have no facts to back this up but I bet since the spl has started. Teams like hearts hibs aberdeen dundee united motherwell have one at least one game against the OF

very rarely do the smaller teams beat or not lose to the OF over 4 games

Elimanate the 4 games and the teams become a lot closer

I think this is the first season where there is a very real chance that a team in the bottom 6 will finish with the 3rd highest points total. We are around 5 points behind Motherwell in 3rd, given their remaining 6 fixtures involve 4 against the Old Firm and 1 away at Hibs, if we win our remaining fixtures to add to our current tally of 48, we'd be on 57, which would be enough for 3rd place in my opinion.

It would be rather amusing if the SFA, who are responsible for submitting Scotland's Euro participants, have forgotten to updated their rule book and are thus legally obliged to submit the team with the 3rd highest points tally for Uefa cup participation...

brellierlegend
It's the wee teams that don't like it because they need all the money from playing against the 'OF'.

Think you'll find the old firm were the driving force behind the SPL and did not even want it to be 12 teams. They wanted to keep it at ten.

Think about the season when we finished 2nd. If we had only had to play the old firm home and away there would have been a much greater chance we would have won the league.

The old firm do not want a larger league. Whole league system is designed to suit them.

Moe Szyslak
But we would have played them before the final 5 games. Played sellik 3rd game and der hun 6th game.

Not sure if we're talking at cross-purposes here but you've lost me completely with that one.

Whatever order the games are played in everybody plays both OF teams 3 times before the split and, for those in the top 6, a 4th time after the split.

The bottom 6 obviously don't play them again so, in theory at least, surely they get an easier final 5 games?

alwaysthereinspirit
It's not just that game mate there have been far far too many games we have massively underperformed in. It's like blaming 86 on not scoring a barrow-load against Clydebank.

Did you have to bring that up?

What a lot of scheidt.

This season isn't the first time this scenario has happened and we ALL knew the rules at the start of the season. Every season the league splits after 33 games. Right or wrong we knew that!!!

Hearts have been pish so there is no point bleating about it.

Thread wouldn't exist if Hearts had won home games against St Mirren and ICT before the split.

Archived