Well done McGlynn

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Not his biggest fan but it has to be said, he's done brilliantly to turn it around when it looked like we were in free fall.

His subs today were very good as well which is something he often gets wrong.

Beat Hibs and get into the final and you will go a long way to winning the support over.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing what a change of formation can do.

While it's been obvious that said change was needed, McGlynn deserves credit for going through with it.

Still a lot of work to do, of course. Beating that arsehole with the big mouth and bigger ears on Boxing Day would be a good start.

tartofmidlothian

Thought he was a busted flush after the H1b5 game but all credit for turning it round.

If he can beat them on the 3rd I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for the season.

Well done whoever made him change formation and tactics. Still not sure why Novi isn't getting a game, must have slipped Vlad's niece a length.

We sat soooo deep in the second half. I know it's tricky to keep playing high up the park with a 2 goal lead but we didnt effectively counter attack either like we did at the end of the 1st half - hopefully he'll learn from that.

Having said all that, solid team selection, overcame his stubborness and played Smith up top in a 2 and his subs were spot on today.

Francis Albert

I am still not convinced the "change of formation" is entirely the reason for our change of fortune. We scored today in effect from one man up front supported by someone coming through from midfield, and from a penalty resulting from the sort of throw into the penalty area we have been playing all season. Dundee United dominated possession and if they'd shown a more up front might well have won.

Anyway, a very satisfactory win.

Are you being serious? He almost cost us the game. He waited until the momentum of the game changed before making a sub that was painfully obvious. Got his tactics completely wrong in the second half. Out of his depth.

Francis Albert

Are you being serious? He almost cost us the game. He waited until the momentum of the game changed before making a sub that was painfully obvious. Got his tactics completely wrong in the second half. Out of his depth.

Yep. He is really struggling. Only the same number of points as Paulo had at the same stage (half way through the league programme) last season with a stronger squad.

He almost cost us the game but had nothing to do with us winning it?

So many great managers post on JKB, it's incredible.

McGlynn IMO had a terrible game. He was far too slow in making changes. Dylan was having a really poor game and should have been hooked at HT. Just not his day today.

Stevenson was the other very obvious sub he got wrong. After 70 mins he was exhausted and off the pace of the game. That's when Paterson should have been brought on.

JM almost cost us the game today. He is an awful manager.

Yep. He is really struggling. Only the same number of points as Paulo had at the same stage (half way through the league programme) last season with a stronger squad.

Your not one of them...

The second half was so frustrating, and our midfield play was non existent. Playing Dylan McGowan and Barr in the midfield, two defensive midfielders, does not work. Stevenson was tiring, and we just kept giving the ball away cheaply. We let united pass in our half at will, with very little pressure on the ball, as our full team retreated in our box. I think it is concerning that we do not build from the back, and only rely on MacDonald launching it into the opposition half to Sutton. Oh well 3 points at least....

Near Post Zibby !

McGlynn starts playing 2 proper strikers up-front and surprise,surprise we start looking like we might score. Now, if he starts plaing a proper midfielder in the midfield holding role we might also start looking like we can control games.

Good effort by all the players today though

Voice of reason

Thought McGlynn picked the right team today and got the subs right too. Well done John - no complaints from me. Unfortunately some shallow folk on here will never forgive McGlynn for not being Portuguese and not looking suave. Hey ho.

Also how on earth is he out of his depth? Are we suddenly playing in La Liga or the EPL? He is up against the tactics of limited managers such as Kenny Shiels, Stuart McCall, Barry Smith, Danny Lennon and Pat Fenlon - one brain cell between the lot of them! He is on a par with these guys for sure. We are skint and need to accept that we are now recruiting from the same pool as all the other SPL teams, apart from Celtic, for both players and managers. Get used to it unless we get new owners soon.

As for Peter Houston, that's 3 times Hearts have beaten his team this season. Most neutrals would say United have better players. Maybe McGlynn's on a par with him too.

Never been against Mick Glynn at all. I think he's a pretty swell dude who's doing fine.

Thought McGlynn picked the right team today and got the subs right too. Well done John - no complaints from me. Unfortunately some shallow folk on here will never forgive McGlynn for not being Portuguese and not looking suave. Hey ho.

Also how on earth is he out of his depth? Are we suddenly playing in La Liga or the EPL? He is up against the tactics of limited managers such as Kenny Shiels, Stuart McCall, Barry Smith, Danny Lennon and Pat Fenlon - one brain cell between the lot of them! He is on a par with these guys for sure. We are skint and need to accept that we are now recruiting from the same pool as all the other SPL teams, apart from Celtic, for both players and managers. Get used to it unless we get new owners soon.

As for Peter Houston, that's 3 times Hearts have beaten his team this season. Most neutrals would say United have better players. Maybe McGlynn's on a par with him too.

Utter rubbish

Jambo Forever

Why start a thread on him?? He won't get credit for anything no matter what he does in his time. Like a previous poster said there's far too many tactical geniuses on here. "Out of his depth" wtf is that about stick to FM.

Tynecastle Valhalla

ehhh no i dont buy into that at all

he was lucky today

why have guys like walker been given a chance them do well then dropped altogether. how to kill a youngsters confidence

playing mini gowzer alongside barr is just wrong.

why does he persist with driver

the guy has been horrific for us

well done the players for getting the result

Well done whoever made him change formation and tactics. Still not sure why Novi isn't getting a game, must have slipped Vlad's niece a length.

:rofl:

Could be.. or could it be he is away in the transfer window?

Not his biggest fan but it has to be said, he's done brilliantly to turn it around when it looked like we were in free fall.

Beat Hibs and get into the final and you will go a long way to winning the support over.

He will never win the support over but would still wish him to get into the wee cup final and win it, also beat hibs

his subs today were spot on, and he almost always gets it wrong

today was one game he got right, until now he has been out of his depth, the defence and playing two up front in the last few games have been the plus points

I was at the game, but an armchair fan told me he said something along the lines of.......we have good defence so we are going to sit back and hit on the break......at half time.

Anyone confirm?

. Well said. Some folk on here have very short memories.

kingantti1874

Still cannot admit that the previous formation was shit though.

This how many time had he said we were creating plenty of chances before he changed it? Why change it then... I'd have much much more respect for the man and said he got it wrong An is now getting it right

Voice of reason

McGlynn IMO had a terrible game. He was far too slow in making changes. Dylan was having a really poor game and should have been hooked at HT. Just not his day today.

Stevenson was the other very obvious sub he got wrong. After 70 mins he was exhausted and off the pace of the game. That's when Paterson should have been brought on.

Utter rubbish!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Why would he do that? We were winning 2-0 and playing well. McGowan may have had a poor game but half time was not the time to replace him.

I questioned the substitution of Smith but after noticing the change in formation when Paterson came on, it was probably the correct change to make.

He deserves credit for realising we were playing poorly and not finding any consistency and having the guts to change it. We look a lot more confident going forward now and hopefully that continues.

As much as I don't like McGlynn as our manager, to not give him credit today is seriously bitter stuff. A good team performance, a good set up and decent subs at the right times. We lost our shape too easily at times without the ball, but overall it was a pleasing afternoon.

He blew it for me by ruining our record against Hibs, but since then it has been more enjoyable watching us and he has to take some credit for that.

I felt he had us sitting to deep in the 2nd half. Should have started as we finished. Dylan McGowan should have been subbed at HT too. Other than that not too bad a day at the office for him. And it was a well deserved win for us.

I'm pleased for him as regardless of what you think of him as a manager, some of the abuse which he has taken from the fans has been way over the top IMO.

When you consider everything that has happened off the pitch so far this season, our current position in the league is not that bad. If we get at least 4 points from the next two games at Killie and Ross County, our position going into the New Year might actually be quite good.

playing two holding midfielders would work better if all our attacks come from out wide, Novi having two strikers to aim at would be quality

Francis Albert

Your not one of them...

No I am not a great manager. Never claimed to be one. But I've never taken a shit squad (quoting many on JKB) to 6th place in the SPL at the half way stage.

The number of know-alls on here is astounding.

Maybe when we have fan ownership we can bring this wealth of knowledge to the fore.

Francis Albert

I felt he had us sitting to deep in the 2nd half. Should have started as we finished. Dylan McGowan should have been subbed at HT too. Other than that not too bad a day at the office for him. And it was a well deserved win for us.

That's never happened before.

The only black mark I'd have against McGylnn today, was to bring on Taouil.

Not the ideal sub when you need to hold onto the game IMO.

Never mind, we won :crowngrin:

The only black mark I'd have against McGylnn today, was to bring on Taouil.

Not the ideal sub when you need to hold onto the game IMO.

Never mind, we won :crowngrin:

at least we saw willo floods true colours because of that sub will be delighted if that boy feels the full wrath of doncaster and his minions.

Agree with all of that.

His stupidity and inability to admit he was wrong and change things have really hurt our season and lost us our unbeaten run against the vermin but he has succumbed and changed it up and we actually look pretty good at the moment.

We also have some quality young players who are contributing to the first team and still have massive potential to improve.

Things have certainly brightened up a bit.

Couldn't disagree more with this one bit AP.

The decision to take Smith off was utterly baffling. Yes, the kid missed a sitter, but he was our only real out ball from the back, he leads the line better than his more experienced strike partner. Easily one of our best players. It was no surprise to me that Sutton fell out of the game when Smith went off.

Also felt Holt should have come on for mini Gowser.

The decision to take Smith off was utterly baffling. Yes, the kid missed a sitter, but he was our only real out ball from the back, he leads the line better than his more experienced strike partner. Easily one of our best players. It was no surprise to me that Sutton fell out of the game when Smith went off.

Smith and Dylan McG were clearly struggling and had to be subbed. Their race was run and it's good that the manager spotted that.

It gave us a lift instantly when Paterson came on.

Not sure i'd have brought on Taouil but we won the game so McGlynn was proven correct.

Smith and Dylan McG were clearly struggling and had to be subbed. Their race was run and it's good that the manager spotted that.

It gave us a lift instantly when Paterson came on.

Not sure i'd have brought on Taouil but we won the game so McGlynn was proven correct.

have to agree, mcgowan looked like he had picked up a knock he needed subbed and smith was becoming ineffectual and paterson upped the the whole teams tempo for the latter stages. too much mcglynn bashing on here give the lad a break

Dylan McGowan was struggling and that was a necessary change.

I'm still far from convinced that switching Smith for Paterson was a good idea, albeit that Patterson did well when he came on.

I'm still far from convinced that switching Smith for Paterson was a good idea, albeit that Patterson did well when he came on.

Smith had fallen out the game and we all know Paterson will do a power of running and can win headers. I struggle to see how you can criticise that sub tbh.

The only slight criticism I'd make is he didn't switch Driver for Novi earlier.

Not think that Smith's miss blew his confidence a bit?

He was also starting to get a bit of a hard time from some in the crowd when he crashed that shot off the defenders back instead of playing in one of his team-mates. I think those incidents affected him and it was best for him and the team to give him a break, keep him for next week and give us the boost of Paterson coming on. His pace, enthusiasm and size must be quite hard to deal with, late on a game when defenders are tiring.

Good decision from the manager I think.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'll bite your hand of for 7 points from 9 any day of the week.

I've criticised him for poor results and its only fair to praise him when he gets good ones too.

Well done.

Three tough games and we've taken 7 points out of 9. That's an excellent return. The next 3 are easier fixtures though IMO so we'll see just how much progress we've made by January 4th. A similar return would set us up superbly for the rest of the season - but we'll wait and see on that front, can't say I'm totally confident.

Libertonian_II

Smith had just missed a sitter, failed to pick out team mates in better positions so his substitution wasn't rocket science.He wasn't even close to being one of our best players. Must have missed the bit where he lead the line......oh and Sutton didn't fall out of the game either

Going back to McGlynn, the result perhaps justifies the means but I still can't help feeling that playing two centre half wannabees(McGowan and Barr) in midfield was not the right option. It was industrial strength footie in the first half with Webster/Zaliukas saving the bacon in the second

Archived