SF on Ruben (Todays EEN)

paulyjambo

Not too sure if this should be with the other few threads on the go??........

Frail believes any new side should be built around Ruben Palazuelos, who he now considers undroppable following another classy performance against Caley.

"He came in, waited for his chance and he's difficult to leave out now. Ruben is composed on the ball, he sees passes and keeps it very simple. He'll continue to be a big part of the team along with young Eggert Jonsson. He is comfortable on the ball and very rarely gives it away."

...........I have said before that IMO he is not good enough for Hearts if we want to challenge for top 3. He contributes (fom what I see each week) nothing at all, he neither attacks nor defends and I cant remember him scoring or even coming close.

Frail believes any new side should be built around Ruben Palazuelos, who he now considers undroppable following another classy performance against Caley.

"He came in, waited for his chance and he's difficult to leave out now. Ruben is composed on the ball, he sees passes and keeps it very simple. He'll continue to be a big part of the team along with young Eggert Jonsson. He is comfortable on the ball and very rarely gives it away."

...........I have said before that IMO he is not good enough for Hearts if we want to challenge for top 3. He contributes (fom what I see each week) nothing at all, he neither attacks nor defends and I cant remember him scoring or even coming close.

He scored against Falkirk :P

It would appear that Frail knows his own managerial limits, that being mid table obscurity, the players he rates seem to match his outlook. Frail wont take us anywhere of great note, the same can be said of the players he rates.

Scored against Falkirk.

Needs to quicken up a bit as he's does get caught in possesion but a decent player. Like Karapidis, will take him a bit of time to adjust tot eh pace of the game here but I think he got something.

Would rather have a player who plays simple passes to retain possesion of the ball than one who tries to force the game all the time losing the ball in the process.

Maybe the lack of a killer pass is due to the lack of a killer run........

Personally think that Ruben IS our best midfielder at the moment. Jonsson is raw, and makes mistakes. Kingston is fantastic on his game, but drifts in and out, and doesn't track back. Stewart is like a headless chicken at times.

Fair enough comments mate - but who says that the highlighted words are what those at the top of the club actually want anymore?

I cannot believe I am saying this but spot on Frail!

I have said on numerous threads that if you get the right players around Frail. ie two full backs and creative players. With those around him you would see Ruben running just about every game in the SPL.

He may get caught in possession a lot but I think that is down to the teams lack of movement resulting in Ruben having very few outlets.

Dr. Bapswent

Still fail to understand how some people cannot see that Ruben is a quality act - particulalrly in the squad we have right now.

Eggy and him dont play well together, but he is the most reliable, solid midfield player we have.

The fact that so many actually call for his head makes me wonder just how many hobos have infiltrated this site.

Totally baffling.

Scored against Falkirk.

Needs to quicken up a bit as he's does get caught in possesion but a decent player. Like Karapidis, will take him a bit of time to adjust tot eh pace of the game here but I think he got something.

Would rather have a player who plays simple passes to retain possesion of the ball than one who tries to force the game all the time losing the ball in the process.

have you seen the way he runs, like his feet have been stuck on the wrong legs.

Still fail to understand how some people cannot see that Ruben is a quality act - particulalrly in the squad we have right now.

Eggy and him dont play well together, but he is the most reliable, solid midfield player we have.

The fact that so many actually call for his head makes me wonder just how many hobos have infiltrated this site.

Totally baffling.

I like him as well. He is simlar to Eggert and is better than Stewart.

If we had an attacking midfielder in there with him and kept Kingston wide right, we'd have a well balanced midfield.

Dr. Bapswent

If we had an attacking midfielder in there with him and kept Kingston wide right, we'd have a well balanced midfield.

Spot on.

portobellojambo1

I have said on numerous threads that if you get the right players around Frail. ie two full backs and creative players. With those around him you would see Ruben running just about every game in the SPL.

He may get caught in possession a lot but I think that is down to the teams lack of movement resulting in Ruben having very few outlets.

Correct, Frail has come out with some mince in the past, but as statements go this isn't one of those mince types, in fact it probably ranks as the most sense he has talked in a long time.

Fair enough comments mate - but who says that the highlighted words are what those at the top of the club actually want anymore?

Who's knows but the club needs money and the only way they can get that is through top 3 football, if not the punters won't pay to watch, not in great numbers anyway

Tynecastle Valhalla

for once i actually agree with frail - ruben is a good player. potentail midfield next year could be beslija, kingston, ruben, aguair - here's hoping.

But Frail seems to think Eggert and Ruben is the best pairing...

:sad:

Hilary Briss

I couldnt disagree with you more. Ruben is a quality player.

Who's knows but the club needs money and the only way they can get that is through top 3 football, if not the punters won't pay to watch, not in great numbers anyway

well, you'd think...

either that or Vlad has realised he can get ?1m for a Lithuanian striker no matter how gash we are, or how much money he doesnt put into us, or how much he interferes with the team, or without european football...

...we were also gash when we got ?9m for Gordon. We havent even needed to play Bednar to get at least ?2m. All we needed to get ?1.1m for Hartley, and ?1.6m for Rudi was to ensure they fell out with Romanov....

you get the picture?

brellierlegend

Are you joking? How difficult do you think it is to get 3rd place? The leagues a shambles. Look at Hibs. The fact they are still challenging is pathetic. Also, Utd and Motherwell are no wonder teams.

Ruben is a quality player. We can easilly get third place on the cheap. Breaking up the old firm domination requires cash.

have to agree i rate ruben highly and think he is a quality player don't think him and jonsson compliment each other though

what nonsense in the OP.

Ruben and Jonsson are exactly what this club needs - two young players who have been given a chance. Build a team around them and we will hopefully see improvements next year.

Ever the optimist.:)

Scored against Falkirk.

I think this is spot on, both look composed on the ball (Kari is maybe Too composed sometimes) and in a stronger team or under a manager (if we get one) i think they'd both become strong players for us. And ruben played a great one-two with glen for the goal on saturday!

Just to clarify that the bit in bold is meant to read Palazeulos not Frail.:oopsoops:

For once I 100% agree with SF

Ruben is a class act

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Ruben is well ahead of Jonsson for me right now

I do not like to see them both play together , too defensive as i prefer

the diamond midfield with two attacking wingers , a holding def/mid being

Ruben and a man in the hole linking midfield to attack in the mould of a

Hartley / Cameron type who we have never filled in this position

hence the lack of a goalscoring midfielder

what nonsense in the OP.

Ruben and Jonsson are exactly what this club needs - two young players who have been given a chance. Build a team around them and we will hopefully see improvements next year.

Ever the optimist.:)

How many goals between them have they scored this season?

I'd rather find a goalscoring midfielder and prolific striker and build my team around them.

Hagar the Horrible

I think he is better than Brellier as he has other attributes to his game other that breaking up opposition attacks? but Hartley or Cameron he is not? but i would like to see him in a more diamond right side?

Drylaw Hearts
I think he is better than Brellier as he has other attributes to his game other that breaking up opposition attacks? but Hartley or Cameron he is not? but i would like to see him in a more diamond right side?

He is without doubt a better footballer than Brellier.

But Brellier had other attributes which fitted in well with the players around him.

It's all about balance and Ruben may shine more in a better balanced team.

BTW, Playing him Right Side is crazy considering he left footed.

John Findlay

Palazuelos is a class act. If Julien Brellier was still at the club Palazuelos would be producing even more than he is now. Yes the team should built around him without shadow of a doubt. Has the one thing a footballer needs more than anything a footballing brain.

John

Buffalo Bill

I like Ruben but he really needs a decent haircut.

That to me, is the big issue here.

Buffalo Bill

In my opinion Ruben is probably the best all round footballer in our squad.

I can't think of many other players who have such skill, passing ability & workrate.

Some fall into 2 of those categories, Larry has the skill & passing ability, but workrate? He'd rather lie on the ground feigning injury for a minute than get up and chase the ball he's just lost.

My team next season would be built around:

Banks

Berra Karipidis

Ruben Jonsson

Absolutely spot on.

If I was in charge of pre-season I'd be sitting Eggert down with a DVD of Colin Cameron and Paul Hartley action and telling him that's what is there to do next season...become the heir to the 'late killer run into the box' number 10 jersey.

Jonsson has the ability to do it. He just needs the experience. Then Ruben would pick him out with the through balls all day and night.

He tries it now, but doesnt seem to have the necessary composure that far up the park yet.

I reckon you've got a good shout there though.

Buffalo Bill

If I was in charge of pre-season I'd be sitting Eggert down with a DVD of Colin Cameron and Paul Hartley action and telling him that's what is there to do next season...become the heir to the 'late killer run into the box' number 10 jersey.

Jonsson has the ability to do it. He just needs the experience. Then Ruben would pick him out with the through balls all day and night.

I like this, Borthers. I like this a lot.

Get your erse over to the 'You're the manager' thread.

Buffalo Bill

How is it possible to to build a team round a sitting midfielder?? Ruben is by no means a bad player but building the team round him?? Before SF even thinks about it he should have ruben spend the entire summer kicking a ball about with his RIGHT foot!! Someone earlier said he could be more of a threat if there were better runs in front of him, that might be true but whats the point if more than half of those runs are a waste of time because ruben has taken 3 touches working the ball onto his left foot!! I don't expect every player to be able to play 30 yard wonder passes with both feet but I would expect every player to be able to play 5-10 yard passes!!!

How is it possible to to build a team round a sitting midfielder?? Ruben is by no means a bad player but building the team round him?? Before SF even thinks about it he should have ruben spend the entire summer kicking a ball about with his RIGHT foot!! Someone earlier said he could be more of a threat if there were better runs in front of him, that might be true but whats the point if more than half of those runs are a waste of time because ruben has taken 3 touches working the ball onto his left foot!! I don't expect every player to be able to play 30 yard wonder passes with both feet but I would expect every player to be able to play 5-10 yard passes!!!

That could apply to most of the squad.

It frustrates me no end that a professional footballer is incapable of playing with both feet.

Even I can use my left competantly, its not that hard with a bit of practice.

Dr. Bapswent
Absolutely spot on.

Would be nice to see Eggys game come on with a more attacking edge. Im sure its possible to train him that way.

But naturally he is more defensive.

5 or 6 central Midfield players, rotating due to suspensions id be happy with: Ruben, Eggy, Larry, Aguiar and Stewart.

Im not saying they are the best, but id be happy to play Aguiar and Ruben, or Aguiar and Eggy. Assuming Larry is played on the right.

Stewart and Eggy are my preferred backup.

Add to that a decent forward thinking midfielder and you have a tasty midfield IMO.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Is Frail maybe just bumming up players that Vlad either signed or rates highly? Shaggy's going in for the kill now, he knows the job is within reach.

That's one of the most cynical posts I've ever made.

Buffalo Bill
Is Frail maybe just bumming up players that Vlad either signed or rates highly? Shaggy's going in for the kill now, he knows the job is within reach.

That's one of the most cynical posts I've ever made.

Me too.

Re his need for a decent hairstyle.

A 'number 1' all over is just the ticket!

Buffalo Bill

have you seen the way he runs, like his feet have been stuck on the wrong legs.

Someone elses killer run i.e. Clum. Oops answered my own question.

Very solid, reliable, classy and consistent. His composure on the ball is like nothing I've seen at Hearts in a long time and despite what some people say on this board, he is good in the tackle and always around the edge of the D breaking up play.

The main problem with Ruben is, and it isn't his fault, is that he plays in a team with little to no creative output for him to shift the ball to. He likes to sit, win the ball, retain it and start a move. It doesn't help when the move he starts goes out to Neilson, Goncalves etc who either do nothing with it or give the ball away. Once (if) we get better players ahead of him, Ruben's contribution to the team will increase greatly.

I think that he gives the ball away more than most players in the side. In addition he regularly slows down the play by taking so long to bring it backward and onto his left foot. He is a pansy in the tackle and is regularly caught on the ball. He has not adjusted to the pace of Scottish football after a year here.

He has not been our worst player this year, nor nearly our best - consistently mediocre. He has some decent ball skills, occassionally some good passing and might be a good player in a slow paced football league. Would not be at all bothered if he leaves, and hopefully he will get fewer games next year than this.

Most teams do Mate -

Bazza at the Huns?

I think that he gives the ball away more than most players in the side. In addition he regularly slows down the play by taking so long to bring it backward and onto his left foot. He is a pansy in the tackle and is regularly caught on the ball. He has not adjusted to the pace of Scottish football after a year here.

He has not been our worst player this year, nor nearly our best - consistently mediocre. He has some decent ball skills, occassionally some good passing and might be a good player in a slow paced football league. Would not be at all bothered if he leaves, and hopefully he will get fewer games next year than this.

Are you confusing him with Robbie Coco???;)

Are you confusing him with Robbie Coco???;)

C'mon mate, there are more than enough threads open for you to get your claws into Robbie, can't we have just one where he escapes your "opinion" ;)

C'mon mate, there are more than enough threads open for you to get your claws into Robbie, can't we have just one where he escapes your "opinion" ;)

Nope! :kiss2:

Bert Le Clos

For me this is the most sensible thing Frail has said/done since becoming "manager". I've thought Ruben was a player since he first arrived, just took time to adjust a bit.

Jonson isn't ready yet, certainly not as an attacking midfielder. If we can get in a decent option to play ahead of Ruben I would take Driver, Ruben A. N. Other and Kingston as a midfield in a second. With people like Cesney, Miko, Bruno and Jonson as back-up our priorities for next year should be;

Wing backs

Attacking mid

2 goal scorers

Keeper

Seymour M Hersh

He is correct though. I can only recall 1 mis-placed pass from RP on Saturday.

For me this is the most sensible thing Frail has said/done since becoming "manager". I've thought Ruben was a player since he first arrived, just took time to adjust a bit.

Jonson isn't ready yet, certainly not as an attacking midfielder. If we can get in a decent option to play ahead of Ruben I would take Driver, Ruben A. N. Other and Kingston as a midfield in a second. With people like Cesney, Miko, Bruno and Jonson as back-up our priorities for next year should be;

Wing backs

Attacking mid

2 goal scorers

Keeper

Given the financial constraints on the club the only midfield players I would say should definitely be in the plans for next year are Jonsson and Driver (and Miko given his post NY form).

He is correct though. I can only recall 1 mis-placed pass from RP on Saturday.

I thought he had his best game for us on Saturday.

It was in a testimonial pace meaningless game.

Archived