The Holy Goalie / Boruc (Merged Threads)

Nucky Thompson

Because no matter what was actually on the shirt, the actual message being conveyed was "up yours you stinking proddie bassas!"

It had nothing to do with football and everyhting to do with being deliberately provocative

Religion and expression of the same has NO place in football

OR indeed in nearly any sport

Cannot recall the religion of any Scots sports person not involved in footie, unless they have got into a stramash caused by football (Higgins)

That should tell you all you need to know about the "beautiful game"

I don't recall any of this drama on here when Marvin Andrews was going on about his God bothering. Wonder why.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy is either so innocent it's scary or thick as two short planks if he isn't at the wind up.

That's the one for me!!

heartgarfunkel
I don't recall any of this drama on here when Marvin Andrews was going on about his God bothering. Wonder why.

Think you're at it going by your posts, but I'll bite.

Marvin Andrews is a 'born-again' Christian, and proclaims the message of Christ, i.e. love for fellow man etc. Boruc makes a point of not shaking hands with the 'enemy' (Huns), talks about it openly, then wears that T-shirt in that game. Let's be honest, if it was about celebrating a figure of devout faith he could have worn a:

'God save Sheilagh Kesting' T-shirt

or

'God save John Knox' T-shirt

One is a living Christian, and one is a deceased Roman Catholic priest from Haddington.

Outrage at the antics of an irresponsible oaf and his arrogant, smug manager make no profound comment on intolerance in Scotland, only about a bampot and his paranoid defenders.

eh think ol' marvin had the extreme pi88 taken out of him for his beliefs and the fact that god made him choose rangers...nothing to do with the money !

the simple fact is that while boruc has every right to express his beliefs, the fact that he chooses to do it a country where religion play a major part, in city that is deeply divided and in a match that is nothing more that a sorry excuse for religous intolerance shows nothing but contempt.

coppercrutch
Kingston is world class.

I don't discuss serious issues with morons.

Sorry.

Wow, being an up one's self ***** is more enjoyable than it looks.

I will happily admit that Kingston is not World class. But I will also happily admit that I truly believe that he can be that player if he wants to be.

On the other hand if you truly believe that Boruc is simply trying to 'expose the small minded bigotry that plagues Scotland' I will give you ?10,000. Seriously . Honest. Lets go for it. Prove it and you can have it. If you can't you owe me ?1,000.

Let's plaaaaaaaaaaYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

I won't hold my breath. Let's make that bet.

****ing loser. ;)

CornhillHearts

"Did Karol Wojtyla play for Legia? Have Rangers ever played against Legia in European competition?"

So eventually you show your true colours-no surprise to me, the forum is a bogey, you should be saying nowt, what do you say Dexter?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Kingston is world class.

I don't discuss serious issues with morons.

Sorry.

Wow, being an up one's self ***** is more enjoyable than it looks.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sometimes you say stuff that you will never be able to forget.

A perfect example.

He did it from the safety of his own part of the field, where most likely the Rangers fans at the game couldn't see it.

I'd have more respect for him if he'd worn it walking along Great Western Road or various streets and towns in West Lothian. Somehow, doubt he would have though. I wonder why.

It's been mentioned before, a self respecting man and human being such as Tommy Burns would never have lowered himslef, and neither even would a wind up merchant like Hartley.

He ain't no proud practicing Polish Roman Catholic, just a class A1 bell end. It really is that simple.

Correct. We had the usual battles in the town of Whitburn Sunday night. The local Celtic pub saw the re-enactment of WW2 according to Brian Rice (Falkirk AM) It, and a few other boozers were shut down when I went home about 9.30 Sunday night.

Its quite funny people are getting so worked up against a T-Shirt, its quite childish actually.

Boruc has done nothing wrong, thats a FACT.

Weather he was doing it to wind Rangers up, it is not stated in the rules regarding T Shirts.

Its only a ****ing T Shirt and how am I neive about it? I have my view on the subject, but as usual I am crucified for giving my views on a subject, thats what a football forum is about putting your views on the subject.

Did he do anything wrong? No.

And was it going to get a reaction? Obviously, because most people have taken this well OTT.

And anyway why are people getting so worked up, he doesnt play for Hearts, he plays for Celtic and it was against Rangers not us.

And people need to get a grip with some of the comments about Boruc, its quite childish and pathetic, and I bet you any money, say if Boruc was playing for us and did that, we would all be praisning him for it.

People need to grow up and take a chill pill.

piltonjambo

No matter what your point of view on Sectarianism is ... was it or was it not

You really have to wonder at the thought process of a grown man who has already been previously warned about his behaviours whilst on the park when the 'bigot brothers' are playing ...

To actually go out of your way, plan your day and then to put that type of shirt on in that particular match and then display it after the final whistle ... dear God ... all of that shows that this 'fool' does not care a monkeys about the consequencies of his actions ...

Who would like to bet that if the result had gone against the mhanks that day ... we would have either not seen it at all or even worse, he would have made an even bigger display of it ... probably right in front of the Hun support.

The man clearly has some mental issues ... he cannot stop himself

this_is_my_story

Unbelievable that anyone can even begin to attempt to defend the actions of Boruc. Of course he's entitled to his own religous beliefs, but I'm sure he has plenty of time to express them other than immediately after an old firm game. In an environment where both clubs are trying to do their bit to put an end to all of this pish, Boruc's display was both unacceptable and deliberately inflammatory.

He's a wind-up merchant, this was illustrated (again) a couple of months ago after Celtic played Hibs at ER. Plenty of ability, but absolutely no class. A total ******.

ScottishSandstorm

This is ridiculous. Boruc may have done some bad things in the past but this is a T-shirt, he has every right to wear it. I think the real sectarian issue here is people being offended by it. What the hell would you have the SFA do? If a Jewish keeper wore a T-shirt with the star of david, anyone who said he was a disgrace would not be seen in a honorable light. This is no different and some people that say Boruc is a disgrace because of this religious T-shirt should take a long look in the mirror.

I realize this is a sensitive match but honestly... Let the guy wear a T-shirt. If Rangers fans get irrationally inflamed over that, they need to put things in perspective.

So lets say a Hearts player did this against Hibs with a T Shirt like Boruc's. would there be an uproar by us? No i dont think so.

Hes a devoted Roman Catholic and it doesnt say in the rules that he cant wear it.

Boruc has done nothing wrong in the book, just alot of people have took it the wrong way.

Wrong wrong wrong.

As stated at teh start of the thread, there is a UEFA directive prohibiting this.

Also, while I would agree that if a bloke walked down the High St on a sunday afternoon wearing that Tshirt, no big deal, you have to look at it in the context of where and when.

Boruc wore that T shirt for sectarian reasons. He doesn't wear it every game, he purely did this to have a go at the hun.

Stop making excuses for this clown.

FIFA are apparently looking at this now. On the basis that the comedy show that is the SPL/SFA don't have the balls to do anything, I hope FIFA roast him and his club.

. In an environment where both clubs are trying to do their bit to put an end to all of this pish, Boruc's display was both unacceptable and deliberately inflammatory.

Unfortunately not the case.

If sellick were trying, someone would have pulled him aside and told him to take said T shirt off.

Unfortunately, they cannot bring themselves to divorce from their ethnic minority roots.

BangkokHearts

What on Earth have any religious icons have to do with football other than to stir up the sectarian element in their supporters?

He should be carpeted and made an example of.

Stewart MacD

Sectarianism isn't the reason he should be slapped with a big fine. He did it to provoke, knowing how the knuckle-draggers would, or might, react. If he had been playing versus Maccabi Haifa, he would probably have done something similar.

(not with a crooked cross, though - that'd be too much for a Pole)

coppercrutch

Boruc has done nothing wrong, thats a FACT.

Weather he was doing it to wind Rangers up, it is not stated in the rules regarding T Shirts.

You care to have a bet about that ? I am sure UEFA have some sort of rule. :rolleyes:

What astounds me is that so called Hearts fans are defending this clown and actually denying FACTS like the UEFA rules to back up their arguments !! :confused:

Are you actually a Celtic fan. Serious question.

ScottishSandstorm
You care to have a bet about that ? I am sure UEFA have some sort of rule. :rolleyes:

What astounds me is that so called Hearts fans are defending this clown and actually denying FACTS like the UEFA rules to back up their arguments !! :confused:

**** off. Excuse me that I don;t agree with "anyone who wears a Catholic T-shirt on a football pitch should be banned" When I played I wore a T-shirt under my jersey that had religious stuff on it and after the match I often took off my jersey because I was hot. Does that deserve a ban? Hell NO! Boruc is a dirty git who has aimed to inflame in the past but this is not one of those incidents. Who are we to judge his motives for WEARING A T-SHIRT,

Unfortunately not the case.

If sellick were trying, someone would have pulled him aside and told him to take said T shirt off.

Unfortunately, they cannot bring themselves to divorce from their ethnic minority roots.

What is that supposed to mean? People support teams for a variety of reasons. I think a lot of Celtics support does come from their "roots" but most seem to be glory hunters.

The People's Chimp
What world do you people live in that wearing a t-shirt with the picture of the former Pope on it counts as "small minded bigotry".

Think about the context. are you really that dense? Bigotry is not confined to one half of the old firm. it is a self perpetuating mob mentality of hatred and all that boruc is doing is trying to jump on the bandwago to stir up the rangers fans and ingratiate himself to the celtic fans. There's nothing else to it. The guy is an oaf, a cretin, a moron. I find it incredible that you're tryng to ascribe some sort of higher motive to boruc's actions. the fact remains that he chose to wear the t shirt in an old firm game. if he always wore it, or wore it against motherwell, then whilst religion and football shouldn't mix, he could just be written off as a bampopt, but in the context in which he wore it, it was designed to provoke.

coppercrutch
**** off. Excuse me that I don;t agree with "anyone who wears a Catholic T-shirt on a football pitch should be banned" When I played I wore a T-shirt under my jersey that had religious stuff on it and after the match I often took off my jersey because I was hot. Does that deserve a ban? Hell NO! Boruc is a dirty git who has aimed to inflame in the past but this is not one of those incidents. Who are we to judge his motives for WEARING A T-SHIRT,

Calm doon. :rolleyes:

Please see The Liquidators post above. Nice succint view of the situation.

Boruc did this to cause trouble and offence. Nothing else. The right to wear or not wear a t-shirt HAS TO BE TAKEN IN CONTEXT.

Otherwise you could have players wearing Ku Klux Klan t-shirts in a game against black people and just crying 'But it's just a t-shirt'.

Borus is a ******. End of. Decent keeper though.

heartscat
Are you kidding me? He's a Catholic who comes to a country where an image of the former leader of the Catholic church can cause an outcry on an Edinburgh team's football forum.

So many people on here are missing the point.

I really don't think that the reasoning behind the t-shirt is all that important.

What IS important is why the t-shirt causes so much "offense".

I am not a Catholic and felt absolutely no emotion whatsoever when I saw Boruc parading around in the t-shirt. Why do others feel differently?

I;m not sure why you are having a go at me.I totally understand what you mean - why does this t-shirt cause offence? It doesn't to me, what causes offence to me is that Boruc is not innocently wearing a picture of the Pope on his t-shirt. He's a grade A tool and he clearly though it was funny to wear something that would further his reputation as the 'Holy Goalie'.

What he fails to understand is that whilst he may think it's just a jape there are thousands of morons in this city who are driven by their bigotted hatred and all something like this does is keep it alive.

Having worked at Celtic Football Club, and having lived in Glasgow, in the vicinity for nigh on a decade I have witnessed the fall-out from morons like him who choose to fuel the fire - that fire being a problem that does exist in this part of Scotland.

With regards to why discuss it on an Edinburgh club's forum - why not? We're part of the same country, the same football league, and this is an open forum.

I know why you ask why it causes offence. Of course it shouldn't, but in the arena he wore it in, it would. That's a fact that is horrible, but it's true.

The fact of the matter is that religious divisions are a big issue in this country, certainly through here. On more than one occasion i have been asked what school I went to, and when i first moved here, i could not believe people asked this. I still can't but it happens.

it's shameful and embarrassing that this country has this problem, of course it is. Imagine someone elsewhere asking why the t-shirt caused so much offence and them then getting the whole sad situation explained to them.

To suggest that Boruc did this as an innocent act is wholly naive. Just as I said before, he's been here long enough now to understand the way things sadly are here, and he did this to provoke, plain and simple. I am not kidding, and I am not missing the point. Clever of you to quote only one part of my post to have a go at.

heartscat

Were you completely bored and just decided to post and have a go at everyone on this thread?!

Marvin Andrews is a 'man of the cloth'. Boruc is a **** who knows exactly what he is doing, and it is not a show of his faith, etc, etc. Plenty players cross themselves, but I think you know that is not the issue.

If you think for a minute Boruc doesn't understand the religious issues, pathetic as they are, of the Old Firm then you are as much of a tool as he is.

Trust me on this one, okay, Boruc knew exactly what he was doing.

heartscat
I'm not cynical;) but I also think the nasty baboon ersed ned has created an iconic image for the simpletons who will flock in their droves and pay fortunes to pay homage to their 'Holy Goalie' in Sellick-minded supporters clubs all over the globe for the next 40 years. In the borders town where I work wee kids have been singing 'Holy Goalie' ditties, and even sporting T-shirts this week. For the first time anyone can remember at the High School first and second years have been fighting over an OF game. Boruc is low-life of the highest order, and the SFA/SPL are a disgrace. Fervent born-again Christians like Andrews, Defoe and Kaka live their newfound/reinvigorated faith, Boruc is just a rotten piece of work.

He has indeed. I walked past the shop 'Tim Land' at the Barras the other day, and there they were inthe window - Holy Goalie t-shirts, and badges, scarves, all sorts. Someone is making a fortune. You think Boruc trademarked it? You think anyone has? Mmmm, now there's an idea!

heartscat
The whole Rangers team could have whipped off their playing shirts on Sunday and had T-shirts that said GOD BLESS THE QUEEN AND KING BILLY and the whole Celtic team could have whipped off their playing shirt and been wearing T-shirts that said GOD BLESS THE POPE AND KING JAMES. I personally for all of five seconds gone. What a bunch of erses and moved on.

That's how much it all really means to me.

Mountains out of molehills here.

Both clubs are hypocritical in that both condemn sectaranism in public but, are still more than happy to make millions from it. F e c k them both and kick them both out of Scottish football now.

John

You are absolutely right. I worked at Celtic during their 'Bhoys Against Bigotry' campaigning back in the mid to late 90s. I still have one of the t-shirts in the loft. I haven't seen many wear anything like that recently right enough.... Perhaps I should send it in to them :P

?Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.? Pope John Paul II

John Findlay
So it is 'mountains out of molehills' but you want them kicked out of Scottish football..............:confused:

This 'minor' incident is just another example of WHY they should be kicked out of Scottish football. We MUST make a big deal every time one of these despicable teams does something like this.

This is the perfect example of the OF doing something that another team would get blasted for. Instead they get a few mentions on the news and the papers and action MAY be taken....

Think about what Miko did. He dived in a game that included a Scottish player doing exactly the same. He was vilified in the press and the general public for weeks after. He still is to this day.

What is worse in football ?

(1)Diving

(2)Trying to incite a ****ing riot by parading in a t-shirt that may end up with someone getting killed ?

What Boruc did was a HUGE deal to the whole of Scottish football. It is Scottish football. It is the reason why Scottish football is ****e.

I want them both kicked out of Scottish football as both have been trading on sectaranism since 1888(the year Celtic came into being).

Because football is run in the west for the benefit of two prominent Glasgow teams. Lip service has been paid to both their sectaranism ad nauseum.

What is the main difference between a true follower of Catholicism and a true follower of Protestantism? They worship Jesus Christ differently.

Apart from that they both eat the same foods, use the same swear words. Commit the same sins and even alot of them support the same football teams.

The narrow mindedeness of the majority of Celtic and Rangers fans(yes it is a majority regardless of the spin peddled by many) makes a one inch in circumference copper pipe appear enlightened.

Kick them both out of Scottish football now. Then that way the job will have been done that should have been done over a century ago.

John

[quote=ScottishSandstorm;235758

What is that supposed to mean? People support teams for a variety of reasons. I think a lot of Celtics support does come from their "roots" but most seem to be glory hunters.

I'm referring to the club as well as the dross who follow it.

Next time you go through there, have a look at the banners the "club" appear to be happy to have on display and listen to bile that they sing.

Assuming you go to darkheid of course.

Rudolf's Mate
Are you kidding me? He's a Catholic who comes to a country where an image of the former leader of the Catholic church can cause an outcry on an Edinburgh team's football forum.

So many people on here are missing the point.

I really don't think that the reasoning behind the t-shirt is all that important.

What IS important is why the t-shirt causes so much "offense".

I am not a Catholic and felt absolutely no emotion whatsoever when I saw Boruc parading around in the t-shirt. Why do others feel differently?

My old man is a jambo through and through as am I. My old man is a catholic, as is the rest of my family. The t-shirt wasn't offensice (IMO) however it was done in bad taste and meant to cause anger. For that reason I think he should be punished by the SFA.

At the end of the day they ugly sisters are both as bad as each other and I guess you do have a valid point..... Why the hell are we still commenting on this after over 300 posts!!!

If you think for a minute Boruc doesn't understand the religious issues, pathetic as they are.

This is the most important part of your post and sums up everything i've been saying on this thread.

I'm going to leave it now because i've said my piece.

My anger goes out to the moronic, bigotted members of Scottish society who find offence in an image of the former pope. Not to Boruc.

The sooner we stop protecting these idiots the better.

Boruc is a nasty twisted bit of work who knew exactly what he was doing. If some fan had been stabbed as a result of this moron stirring things up it would be no surprise. The guy is a poisonous maggot who demonstrates a lot of what being "Celtic minded" is all about. There are plenty knuckle draggers on the other side of the Bigot brothers but at the moment we are discussing this Polish bawbag.

coppercrutch
This is the most important part of your post and sums up everything i've been saying on this thread.

I'm going to leave it now because i've said my piece.

My anger goes out to the moronic, bigotted members of Scottish society who find offence in an image of the former pope. Not to Boruc.

The sooner we stop protecting these idiots the better.

Most people do not have a problem with that. I think after 9 pages you would have understood this by now.................

And anyway if there is anyone out there who finds it offensive ? Well that is their choice. If they find the Pope offensive because he led an organisation that covered up child abuse.... I think they have a point.

kearney19

So your now accusing me of being a Celtic fan because I have my view on him not doing anything that breaches the rules of the SPL?

Stop talking s***.

Is everyone supposed to have the same views on Boruc as everyone has?

No thats not how it works.

IMO He has done NOTHING wrong.

Is there an actual rule that says you cant wear a T Shirt with God Bless the Pope?

No there is not.

As another person said was as much fuss made about Marvin Andrews and his beliefs in his religion?

No.

Everyone has an agenda against Boruc because of what his antics in the past have resulted in.

Hes done NOTHING wrong.

What about Kaka when he had a T Shirt saying I belong to God?

Was this mentioned?

No.

Because he like Boruc has done nothing wrong.

The best thing is Boruc has not said anything in the press etc and we now have an or 9 page article on a Celtic topic.

Archived