Ann Budge

Gorgiewave

I get very uncomfortable when fans start talking about where a club deserves to be. It smacks of the WATP mentality down Govan way.

We are currently exactly where we deserve to be. We have been a financial basket case since the late 1990s.

Like you I want the club I support to be at the top level of the game and competing for trophies on a regular basis. However, there is a price to be paid, and earned, to get there. All clubs need to generate income wherever they can, whether that is through ticket sales, success on the park merchandising, sponsorship etc.

I happen to think that the price of football (ticket income), and the resultant player wages (expenses) are excessive for the quality of play we see week after week, without adding to the cost through a subscription scheme.

I bought into the stated aims of FOH as above, and I would probably buy into a future plan aimed specifically at the Academy.

I possibly differ from most people on JKB, in that I don't feel that I have an unbreakable emotional bond with the club. If the club ended up playing at lower levels, or worse still went out of business, I would be saddened by it, but life would go on and I'd find something else to entertain me on Saturday afternoons.

Think you have slightly misinterpreted what I was saying or I was unclear in my post (probably this). It's nothing to do with being arrogant as a club etc....I was meaning in order to do things correctly and act like a proper football club it's going to take more money and time than anyone realises. No quick fix here, we are where we are but some proper financial planning and honesty is a good start.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• Don Dan

• Footballfirst

• Geoff Kilpatrick

All joking apart this lady deserves our eternal gratitude for coming to the rescue of our wonderful club. Thank you Mrs B. A Hearts legend now and always.

I trust Ann Budge 100% and a drinking buddy of mine has known her personally for years.

I just think the plan does not deliver what I bought into. The plan is a perfectly reasonable one but there is an assumption that everyone, whose primary interest was only to save the club, is now being asked to contribute to the running of the club for a further two years, and are willing to do so.

I have never been under any impression that I would stop chipping in my ?10 a month (at least) for a very long time.

And for the record. Tha ks to Ann Budge. Fronting 2.5 million on the trust of thousands of strangers is to be applauded.

Edited by hughesie27

All joking apart this lady deserves our eternal gratitude for coming to the rescue of our wonderful club. Thank you Mrs B. A Hearts legend now and always.

Spot on, AB was really the only realistic option, goodness we could have had Sideshow or the Italian maniac. Instead we have a good honest hardworking and by all accounts an innovative business woman who will steer our club to a good sustainable position. I'm glad it's her.

Footballfirst

But is this not running the club? To me all this is part and partial of us buying a club that is sound. Remember there are very few models we can base this purchase on, this is a pioneering move to bring Hearts safely under fan control. Over the next 5-6 years the foundations of a solid financial club will be laid and ownership will be transferred to us where we should then be able to run the club in the way you expect but until then AB has a model and a plan to implement to achieve your expectations.

That's fine and will deliver the club to the fans within 5 years. Ann Budge is clearly a very capable businesswoman and (I hope) will have presented a number of options to the current FOH Board and that the current proposal was agreed as the best way forward.

However, I come back to the point that FoH's primary aim was to deliver ownership of the club, not to generate additional funds to run the club. Given that the two years "working capital" requirement and a five year plan for ownership has come as a surprise to some (certainly me), I would have thought that it was incumbent on FOH to at least seek some feedback on the alternative means of achieving their aims and risks associated with each, thereby achieving a better consensus.

Footballfirst

Think you have slightly misinterpreted what I was saying or I was unclear in my post (probably this). It's nothing to do with being arrogant as a club etc....I was meaning in order to do things correctly and act like a proper football club it's going to take more money and time than anyone realises. No quick fix here, we are where we are but some proper financial planning and honesty is a good start.

I agree 100%.

There are risks regardless of the path the club takes and I sincerely hope that all have been considered.

That's fine and will deliver the club to the fans within 5 years. Ann Budge is clearly a very capable businesswoman and (I hope) will have presented a number of options to the current FOH Board and that the current proposal was agreed as the best way forward.

However, I come back to the point that FoH's primary aim was to deliver ownership of the club, not to generate additional funds to run the club. Given that the two years "working capital" requirement and a five year plan for ownership has come as a surprise to some (certainly me), I would have thought that it was incumbent on FOH to at least seek some feedback on the alternative means of achieving their aims and risks associated with each, thereby achieving a better consensus.

Maybe due to the time scales of the CVA and the amount of money BDO have to keep us afloat there may have been a limited consultation with FOH. It could well have dragged on if any consultation had been put out to the wider body of foundation pledgers. I feel we should trust these people as it is in our interests to see this work.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

in the foh bid the working capital figure was always greater than the cva figure

given that the plan was that ultimately every last penny was going to come from the fans, some of the fans pledges have always been earmarked for working capital, in fact a greater proportion than what was expected to be required to secure ownership of the club.

i appreciate some folk have/had a different understanding but how does that square with working capital being greater than cva money in the original bid ?

whether this is risky or that is risky is another justifiable debate but claiming a fundamental change likes its a deliberate or otherwise slight of hand trick is more off the mark than a hans eskillsen shot against the hibs, unless its me whose holding the wrong end of a stick barking up someonelse's tree

Francis Albert

I have to add my appreciation of Ann Budge. Buys the club for ?2.5m, gets to run it for up to 5 years with a subsidy of ?3.8m, and gets her ?2.5m back with interest. Wallace, CPR and even Vlad could only have dreamt of that deal. I am serious in admiring the business acumen We are in good hands.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I have to add my appreciation of Ann Budge. Buys the club for ?2.5m, gets to run it for up to 5 years with a subsidy of ?3.8m, and gets her ?2.5m back with interest. Wallace, CPR and even Vlad could only have dreamt of that deal. I am serious in admiring the business acumen We are in good hands.

that assumes she wanted to run it in the first place

maybe she sees this as a call of duty rather than something she specifically wants to do

i don't know - just putting forward an alternative case for consideration

Yep try getting that deal at the bank.

You need to try harder ..........all she gets is the interest on her ?2.5 million at a nominal rate..........leaves with no shares, no power and leaves behind a club in the hands of the fans..............what a terrible deal............. for her.

Fergus McCann would have her hung drawn and quartered for that.... giving business a bad name

Your fishing skills are to be admired though.

Edited by CJGJ

Jambof3tornado

I can't see anything but positives in the statement released today. As other's have said, it appears to be well thought out, sensible and achievable. Hearts have desperately needed sensible, sound financial management for a long time now and this proposal is exactly that.

One thing that bothers me a little is that, after all, Ann Budge seems to be the only Hearts fan who was prepared to front the cash to purchase the club. I thought there were a number of other wealthy Hearts fans waiting in the wings at one point?

spivs that wanted something back for their investment!

I just get an absolute buzz from this whole fan ownership thing and always took my direct debit commitment to be a long term thing.

I'm sure if the club makes more money than planned , ie, cup run or player sales repaying the capital investment may happen faster than planned.

these are exciting times ahead of us.

Broxburn Jambo

I get very uncomfortable when fans start talking about where a club deserves to be. It smacks of the WATP mentality down Govan way.

We are currently exactly where we deserve to be. We have been a financial basket case since the late 1990s.

Like you I want the club I support to be at the top level of the game and competing for trophies on a regular basis. However, there is a price to be paid, and earned, to get there. All clubs need to generate income wherever they can, whether that is through ticket sales, success on the park merchandising, sponsorship etc.

I happen to think that the price of football (ticket income), and the resultant player wages (expenses) are excessive for the quality of play we see week after week, without adding to the cost through a subscription scheme.

I bought into the stated aims of FOH as above, and I would probably buy into a future plan aimed specifically at the Academy.

I possibly differ from most people on JKB, in that I don't feel that I have an unbreakable emotional bond with the club. If the club ended up playing at lower levels, or worse still went out of business, I would be saddened by it, but life would go on and I'd find something else to entertain me on Saturday afternoons.

I would be entertained at a lower level

I just have to again point out that the CVA as proposed by FoH in the bidding process called for ?5.75M to fund a CVA of ?2M and provide working capital. The working capital number has been in there from the earliest days of actual numbers being made public.

If this were structured as, "Ann Budge puts up ?6M to fund CVA and fund club for five years, will be paid back over that time by FoH pledges," would that have made any difference?

WorldChampions1902

Correctamundo!!!!

So why don't we all sit tight for a little while longer........, stop asking questions that can be answered later and pray that we all (ultimately), end up owning OUR club? It's not difficult is it? We are NOT out of the woods yet.

Gregory House M.D.

I like how people think having two million, five hundred thousand pounds tied up for 5 years is somehow a great deal for Budge.

Time for a poll

Did you think your pledge would buy the club and make the club debt free within 3 years or

Did you think it was part of a 5 to 10 year plan to make the club a coin toss regularly competitive from next season in Scottish football.

In Ann Budge I trust, the current FOH directors however are already on a sticky wicket.

The best way to have people continue to pledge, and to gain new pledgers is quite simply to have a winning team on the park. Cash monies is required for that. Hopefully spent wisely this time though

Sheriff Fatman

I think it is incredible that there is someone who is willing to step up and fund this takeover. It is also incredible that the fans have stepped up in such numbers to do their part. Great credit to all concerned.

However, unless there is a pressing reason why a working capital injection is required - remembering that BDO are attempting to leave the new owners with season ticket money - it is very surprising that the club will not be able to live within its means, particularly given the apparent cost of the current squad (and that several are out of contract anyway). If it is about funding for players in order to obtain an immediate return to the top league it could be construed as just another version of speculation for accumulation.

Hopefully FoH will clear this up.

Of course there is need for working capital.

We are living from hand to mouth now in the top league with one good cup run playing kids.

Next season we will have less income, but need a few more experienced players who will cost more than the kids we have now.

As long as we keep the level of working capital needed a sensible one and don't go down the insane pay out multiple times more than you can ever hope to bring in in an attempt to get the magical European pot of gold we can and will cope.

Time for a poll

Did you think your pledge would buy the club and make the club debt free within 3 years or

Did you think it was part of a 5 to 10 year plan to make the club a coin toss regularly competitive from next season in Scottish football.

In Ann Budge I trust, the current FOH directors however are already on a sticky wicket.

They way I grasped it, the pledges where always gonnae be above and beyond the regular income streams used to better the club, be that players, infrastructure or whatever.

Time for a poll

I have to admit I thought it would be the former. That doesn't bother me though, I'll still be paying my pledge on a monthly basis in 20 years (assuming I can still afford it!) if that's what it takes. TBH, with TV and sponsorship money in Scotland dropping this kind of funding will be the only way to attract decent players to the club. I hope other clubs do the same as otherwise the Premiership is just going to turn into an U20s league which acts as a feeder for English clubs.

Her providing her valuable time and expertise on a remuneration free basis omitted from your theory for any good reason?

Of course there is need for working capital.

We are living from hand to mouth now in the top league with one good cup run playing kids.

Next season we will have less income, but need a few more experienced players who will cost more than the kids we have now.

As long as we keep the level of working capital needed a sensible one and don't go down the insane pay out multiple times more than you can ever hope to bring in in an attempt to get the magical European pot of gold we can and will cope.

There will be less income next season? Fewer than 3 and a bit thousand season tickets sold?

Some people should take a look at other clubs, some fans are willing to buy their season tickets and pay a membership just to get a yearly news letter and a chance of away tickets.

I'm happy to pay for a season ticket and foh subs to get something I feared I wouldn't have, a team to support and I will continue paying to make sure Heart of Midlothian are around for my children and eventually my childrens children.

Francis Albert

Her providing her valuable time and expertise on a remuneration free basis omitted from your theory for any good reason?

No. That too.

Sheriff Fatman

There will be less income next season? Fewer than 3 and a bit thousand season tickets sold?

Compared to outgoings yes there will.

Time for a poll

I thought the former, and like FF I don't feel that the latter is what I signed up for. A club like Hearts should be made to be sustainable on the 'normal' income streams that football clubs generate.

Either way, how can we show the necessary thanks and gratitude to Ann Budge for putting up ?2.5m to allow the club to come through this. She is the true saviour of the club, and if that means I have to contribute for 5 years instead of 3, so be it.

Yes, you must have missed the TV money..............or did you just forget it to make your point ?

Next will be the match day income with fewer fans attending.........fewer away fans for example.

Then there will be the match day prices........they will be lower............no premium match day tickets for Celtic or Hibs for example.

Then there is the commercial income re shirt sponsorship, hospitality etc

I hope that's enough for you.

Edited by CJGJ

Always knew the working capital part to be funded by direct debits would be a surprise and therefore a challenge for some people so I understand any concerns. Hopefully as Bidco emerges and there is more transparency and openness the reasons for this will be clearer and most people will back it.

Francis Albert

I like how people think having two million, five hundred thousand pounds tied up for 5 years is somehow a great deal for Budge.

It beats having ?3.8m paid out for 2 years, with none of it coming back, and without any ownership. As I said, Ann Budge is to be admired,. She isn't worth ?40m for nothing.

Francis Albert

Why not stop trolling...........

Oh for Christ's sake, grow up. Sorry, but how in any way shape or form does that address my point. You complain in one line about people's "attitudes", as

though that is a meaningful contribution to a discussion. You then say "stop trolling" as though that was a meaningful contribution to a discussion. Jeez.

Edited by Francis Albert

Some people should take a look at other clubs, some fans are willing to buy their season tickets and pay a membership just to get a yearly news letter and a chance of away tickets.

I'm happy to pay for a season ticket and foh subs to get something I feared I wouldn't have, a team to support and I will continue paying to make sure Heart of Midlothian are around for my children and eventually my childrens children.

Aye. Exactly.

You have to wonder what the agenda is of the small minority on here against the proposed plans.

Anyway, their seethe will be immense when the number of people pledging starts increasing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

Aye. Exactly.

You have to wonder what the agenda is of the small minority on here against the proposed plans.

Anyway, their seethe will be immense when the number of people pledging starts increasing.

Agenda??? A few people have asked some questions about the "plans" and questioned whether they are consistent with the FoH marketing spiel to date. Few have said they are

"against" the plans. I for one certainly haven't. Far more worrying for me than the "plan" is the reaction, particularly of those "close to" FoH to being questioned. The great transparent democracy of the greatest fan movement in Scottish football history seems strangely sensitive to any hint of questioning or scrutiny.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Aye. Exactly.

seems that despite having a whole long list of business risk questions needing to be answered yesterday, the breakdown of the foh bid which had x% cva, y% some other (mod edit) thing, was too complicated to suggest that not all our ddm funds were going towards the cva

to be honest an easy mistake to make for folk who are happy to pay their share but are more on the fringes of the financial debates but for those who have been actively spearing the backside out of any supposed business leak or proposal, quite frankly a text book school boy/girl error

i always assumed my monthly pledge was going to continue until the day i died or could no longer afford it.......... this has not changed

Likewise. I have always assumed that after the loan to finance CVA payment was repaid my pledge would continue as another source of revenue for the club.

Agenda??? A few people have asked some questions about the "plans" and questioned whether they are consistent with the FoH marketing spiel to date. Few have said they are

"against" the plans. I for one certainly haven't. Far more worrying for me than the "plan" is the reaction, particularly of those "close to" FoH to being questioned. The great transparent democracy of the greatest fan movement in Scottish football history seems strangely sensitive to any hint of questioning or scrutiny.

Can you give some examples of these reactions ?

I am happy to continue with my DD despite not knowing about every dotted I and every crossed T.

The latest statement concerning Mrs Budge's plan for Hearts seems to be a very sensible approach based mostly on a worst case scenario

of having to bide our time in the Championship.There will be a loss of revenue that has to come from somewhere.

Like others have said i am eternally grateful to AB for her involvement and one day Hearts will be fan owned and in good shape when that happens.

It beats having ?3.8m paid out for 2 years, with none of it coming back, and without any ownership. As I said, Ann Budge is to be admired,. She isn't worth ?40m for nothing.

So according to you she should pay that sum out of her own funds ?...........some kind of gift to us is it ?

Unless of course you think we can survive and prosper without that income ?............if so then fine but just say that rather than indicating she is somehow ripping us off

Thats what disappoints me re your comments..............tell us what you think rather than attack or infer things about someone else when you have nothing to base it on.

I would rather they took their time with the transfer of the club to the fans to ensure that once FOH take full control we are in a stable condition.

I always thought that the DD payments were for life, it hadnt crossed my mind to cancel them as soon as the loan was paid off. I saw the payments as a way of providing extra income to my club for as long as I live. Of course this may differ for those who pay more than myself. I am a ?10 a month DD, not something I actually notice coming off my account.

Why would you stop investing in something once you own it?

Why would you stop investing in something once you own it?

Top be fair, if it was merely a financial investment, I wouldn't be bothering with Hearts at all.

But this isn't a financial investment, it is an emotional investment to save our club. It is ten quid a month to save Hearts.

This isn't aimed at you Lou, but if the people posting on here with their bollocks about ownership and whining about working capital don't think that it is worth it, then stop paying. Fortunately, there are obviously thousands of us who think otherwise.

tartofmidlothian

Always knew the working capital part to be funded by direct debits would be a surprise and therefore a challenge for some people so I understand any concerns. Hopefully as Bidco emerges and there is more transparency and openness the reasons for this will be clearer and most people will back it.

Are you connected, Mikey? Genuine question.

That could well be the case and it may be the correct thing to do. It is a change of plan though, that cannot be denied, even if it is a positive change.

This is the key point.

Spot on. While the (revised) plan seems eminently sensible it would be foolish for everyone to simply throw their weight (and cash) behind it with no scrutiny.

It's entirely possible to be grateful to Ann Budge for funding the initial transaction and also interested in the detail of the plan. If you don't get that then I hope you never find yourself on the HMFC board.

Spot on. While the (revised) plan seems eminently sensible it would be foolish for everyone to simply throw their weight (and cash) behind it with no scrutiny.

It's entirely possible to be grateful to Ann Budge for funding the initial transaction and also interested in the detail of the plan. If you don't get that then I hope you never find yourself on the HMFC board.

Oh we get it. Just wonder why some people feel the need to create a drama out of it?

I don't get why people are mythed about the 3.8M working capital requested to be put up in the first 2 years by FOH. Just because it's there doesn't necessary mean it needs to be used and by the first year (in 3 years) of starting to repay "the queen" we could have a very healthy bank balance.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Oh we get it. Just wonder why some people feel the need to create a drama out of it?

I don't think anyone has.

I'm glad of some transparency at last though.

Because he's a Hibby