Ann Budge

Gorgiewave

portobellojambo1

Maybe worth discussing another Ann Budge related point. it came as a surprise to me that she was taking on the executive chairmanship of the football club. I think most of us expected Bidco to be in a more supervisory role with a professional chief executive running the club. Now it's great Ann Budge is taking on the role and for free (though

without making any comparison so I believe did Roman Romanov!), but it is an interesting challenge for her, running a business in a business sector in which she has no

previous experience as far as I know. Thoughts?

My interpretation may be wrong, but I get the impression the role she is taking on, a chairperson, is more supervisory than 100% hands on and in control of making every decision on a day to day basis. It is clear through discussions she has had, that the choice of who is put in place on the football side suggests she wants someone competent to do that, and I suspect she will make similar appointments in terms of the senior executive. The role she may take on/adopt could mirror the role of the Finance Director, as in future I think that is a role that could sit under the FoH, with the CEO/managing director than presented with a budget and expected to operate the club within that budget (under FoH I can see the actual salaried directors on the HMFC board being relatively minimal, and I think that is why she is trying to speak to the existing staff at the moment, to see who does what and why, how and where it can be streamlined, and how many management posts are really needed to ensure the club continues to function).

I strongly believe she could create an operating framework which will benefit the fans in later years, and help them understand the type of people they need to consider when electing people. Do I expect to see her standing by the side of the pitch in a tracksuit, absolutely not, do I expect to see her up at Riccarton barking out instructions during training, absolutely not, do I expect to see her running about on the administration side helping out, no. I do expect her to determine how those functions can best operate, and look to put the best people in place to help make sure they do.

Edited by portobellojambo1

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• Don Dan

• Footballfirst

• Geoff Kilpatrick

WorldChampions1902

Now it's great Ann Budge is taking on the role and for free (though without making any comparison so I believe did Roman Romanov!), but it is an interesting challenge for her, running a business in a business sector in which she has no previous experience as far as I know. Thoughts?

We had a precedent and It seemed to work out pretty well IIRC. In fact and with the greatest respect to Wallace, I think AB's CV in business is even more impressive.

post-850-0-80959200-1392584754_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-60883100-1392584788_thumb.jpg

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

My interpretation may be wrong, but I get the impression the role she is taking on, a chairperson, is more supervisory than 100% hands on and in control of making every decision on a day to day basis. It is clear through discussions she has had, that the choice of who is put in place on the football side suggests she wants someone competent to do that, and I suspect she will make similar appointments in terms of the senior executive. The role she may take on/adopt could mirror the role of the Finance Director, as in future I think that is a role that could sit under the FoH, with the CEO/managing director than presented with a budget and expected to operate the club within that budget (under FoH I can see the actual salaried directors on the HMFC board being relatively minimal, and I think that is why she is trying to speak to the existing staff at the moment, to see who does what and why, how and where it can be streamlined, and how many management posts are really needed to ensure the club continues to function).

I strongly believe she could create an operating framework which will benefit the fans in later years, and help them understand the type of people they need to consider when electing people. Do I expect to see her standing by the side of the pitch in a tracksuit, absolutely not, do I expect to see her up at Riccarton barking out instructions during training, absolutely not, do I expect to see her running about on the administration side helping out, no. I do expect her to determine how those functions can best operate, and look to put the best people in place to help make sure they do.

by all accounts she has a seat in the wheatfield - that will give her a better view of how the games going and allow her to adjust the shape and personnel as she sees fit - i hope she doesn't play 1 upfront at home against the likes of alloa, but if she does, i hope she's brave enough to change it if it's not working

I am guessing that fast growing start up IT companies don't sit on large cash reserves but it was a throwaway remark and not very relevant TBH. Sorry. But if say half

of the ?2.8m we are providing as working capital (beyond the first ?1m which we can all understand the need for) is for cash reserves then having ?1.4m, or about 20% of total revenue, sitting in a bank account (particularly at today's negative real interest rates) would not be efficient. Especially if you are also budgeting on worst case

assumptions. But Ann Budge knows a helluva lot more than I do so at that I'll shut up!

Thank God for that.

Francis Albert

So Ann Budge is giving up the next five years of her life to run Hearts free of charge, and people who are giving a tenner a month are having a pop because she's getting her money back and they're not?

:cornette:

Who is "having a pop"? Stating facts is "having a pop"? Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert

I'm happy with her taking the role. We aint got the shares so the ball isn't in the net yet, but so far, through a very difficult process and without doing everything 100% correct, the team have just crossed the ball into the the box and mrs budge appears poised to rise like a salmon (or sandy) and nod us out of administration. Once the ball's in that particular net, while it won't guarantee anything, it will give me confidence that the foh/bidco/bdo etc etc team have got a fair idea what they're doing (without obviously getting everything 100% right every time).

Like to expand on your thoughts? You got a preference for a particular profile of person, a name even, or a general framework of chaps/esses to take us forward in the short to medium term?

No, I am more than happy with Ann Budge and have never said otherwise. Just opening it up to discussion.

Francis Albert

So Ann Budge is giving up the next five years of her life to run Hearts free of charge, and people who are giving a tenner a month are having a pop because she's getting her money back and they're not?

No-one is "having a pop". And those giving a tenner a month are saving Hearts just as much as Ann Budge is. In fact since their's is a gift not a loan, it could be argued (morally at least) more so. Both are equally needed. Edited by Francis Albert

No-one is "having a pop". And those giving a tenner a month are saving Hearts just as much as Ann Budge is.

The sentiment is understood - we all do what we can- but if I get taken out by a bus tomorrow, my tenner a month won't be missed much. If it were Ann Budge however, the reality is her contribution would probably make the difference between saving hearts or not.

Edit- replied before FA's post added to

Edited by tamflogel

Francis Albert

The sentiment is understood - we all do what we can- but if I get taken out by a bus tomorrow, my tenner a month won't be missed much. If it were Ann Budge however, the reality is her contribution would probably make the difference between saving hearts or not.

Edit- replied before FA's post added to

I guess your edit acknowledges that if 10 of us or even a hundred of us are taken out by a bus tomorrow we won't be missed much! But the survivors are still needed as much as Ann Budge is. Edited by Francis Albert

No-one is "having a pop". And those giving a tenner a month are saving Hearts just as much as Ann Budge is. In fact since their's is a gift not a loan, it could be argued (morally at least) more so. Both are equally needed.

black-kid-oh-snap.gif

No-one is "having a pop". And those giving a tenner a month are saving Hearts just as much as Ann Budge is. In fact since their's is a gift not a loan, it could be argued (morally at least) more so. Both are equally needed.

Five years of free work is a significantly more valuable gift than a tenner a month. Anyway, my original post was aimed at the people having a pop, not you.

Whoever is having a go at Ann Budge needs to go and have a reality check. What are they trying to do, drive the woman away.

She has come to the aid of our team and whatever the outcome results wise i will forever be in her debt.

If i hear anyone ??.well maybe i should stop there.

I wish FOH and Ann Budge all the best in their efforts in saving our club from liquidation. The Hearts fans have united behind this fantastic

movement to keep Hearts alive so let's continue without the need to attack someone who's trying to help.

Whoever is having a go at Ann Budge needs to go and have a reality check. What are they trying to do, drive the woman away.

She has come to the aid of our team and whatever the outcome results wise i will forever be in her debt.

If i hear anyone ??.well maybe i should stop there.

I wish FOH and Ann Budge all the best in their efforts in saving our club from liquidation. The Hearts fans have united behind this fantastic

movement to keep Hearts alive so let's continue without the need to attack someone who's trying to help.

I've read any post that has a go at her.

how do these people know all the facts. what if Ann Budge is paying an amount every month into the Foundation

as well as loaning the ?2.5 million. there are many other scenario's which Ann Budge may be doing as well as the interest

she is losing by giving the money as a loan to us the fans.

anyone coming on here and spewing out a load of half thought-out idea's about someones money needs to stop.

57 posts and counting Mr F Albert :o All I have to say is thank you and good luck to her :)

Edited by Buffalo Bill

No-one is "having a pop". And those giving a tenner a month are saving Hearts just as much as Ann Budge is.

Although obviously not as much as the ?20 a month people

Francis Albert

57 posts and counting Mr F Albert :o All I have to say is thank you and good luck to her :)

And despite offering a couple of days ago to pop ?50 into the JKB fund if anyone can identify one negative comment from me, I am still waiting!

Francis Albert

And despite offering a couple of days ago to pop ?50 into the JKB fund if anyone can identify one negative comment about Ann Budge from me, I am still waiting!

Francis Albert

And despite offering a couple of days ago to pop ?50 into the JKB fund if anyone can identify one negative comment about Ann Budge from me, I am still waiting!

Thought my luck had changed when I saw AB had emailed me! However great email pointing what we need to do now and for the next 5 years. Answers many questions.

Dear Daniel,

It has been a very busy few days since we announced some of the plans for trying to secure the long-term future of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Hopefully, the statement made last week has provided some degree of clarity, albeit we recognise the need to provide more details. Please be assured we will furnish more information as soon as we are in a position to do so.

We all know the task ahead. Firstly, to ensure the Club survives; secondly to ensure it is re-stabilised financially, with the strongest possible foundations to ensure its future. These are the tasks I am offering to take on; but I will not succeed without your continued support.

My task, as I see it, is to ensure that when I hand the Club over to you, the supporters, I will be handing over a Club in good shape and with sufficient resources to face the challenges of the future. To achieve this the Club needs investment over the next two years to stabilise and then build a solid financial base.

Some of you are asking how long you might be asked to contribute. Right now, the Club needs your financial support to see us through the next two years. Thereafter your contributions are required to secure supporter ownership.

Beyond that, and once ownership passes to the fans, it will be for you, the supporters, to agree the financial priorities of your Club.

To all the supporters who are helping the Club, either by attending games, contributing to the Foundation of Hearts, buying merchandise, fund raising - the list goes on - I thank you.

It has been said many times over the last few months, but it is absolutely true that without this support we would not be here today.

To those of you who have already pledged, I thank you.

To those of you who have not yet done so, I would simply say that if you believe in the journey we are about to undertake, and only if your financial position allows it, please consider joining your nearly 8000 fellow supporters, who are contributing.

These supporters have started to build the cash reserves to enable fans ownership to become a reality, which will ultimately put an end to private ownership of our club.

I will do my part to the best of my ability.

Thank you, in advance, for continuing to do yours.

Ann Budge

Executive Chairwoman Designate

Heart of Midlothian FC

Edited by Dannie Boy

• 4 years later...
On 16/02/2014 at 21:01, Socrates said:

were well into the plan now.

money in the bank but because we deferred paying back her loan PLUS interest ( only 2.5 million she loaned us)

FoH voting to extend her tenure as CEO and overwhelmingly to divert the £125,000 a month we repay her for the loan to pay towards the main stand redevelopment.

the fans will eventually own hearts, we just dont know when yet.

was questions asked at the AGM

is she still doing it for free?? 

what will happen after the 5 years??

That would delay the supporters’ group takeover beyond the date of 2019 by which it was originally expected the £2.5 million loan would have been repaid. Budge has promised to waive £300,000 of interest payments that would have been due during the next two years.

She has also offered to transfer 20 per cent of BIDCO’s shareholding in the club to the FoH on receipt of the first £1.5 million and a further 15 per cent when the full £3 million has been raised.

hopefully the donations havent dropped off and it should only take 8 months extra to repay her the money we owe her.

then fan ownership!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Reading back this thread watching 2012 final. 

Currently 4 1

:pleasingao:

4th goals the only ball I ever did see Rudi shin and still a goal

Edited by Sir Gio

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Currently 4 1

Ryan McGowan scored the 4th goal mate?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, johncomets2 said:

Ryan McGowan scored the 4th goal mate?

Well aware. Who miskicked into his path?

14 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

were well into the plan now.

money in the bank but because we deferred paying back her loan PLUS interest ( only 2.5 million she loaned us)

FoH voting to extend her tenure as CEO and overwhelmingly to divert the £125,000 a month we repay her for the loan to pay towards the main stand redevelopment.

the fans will eventually own hearts, we just dont know when yet.

was questions asked at the AGM

is she still doing it for free?? 

what will happen after the 5 years??

That would delay the supporters’ group takeover beyond the date of 2019 by which it was originally expected the £2.5 million loan would have been repaid. Budge has promised to waive £300,000 of interest payments that would have been due during the next two years.

She has also offered to transfer 20 per cent of BIDCO’s shareholding in the club to the FoH on receipt of the first £1.5 million and a further 15 per cent when the full £3 million has been raised.

hopefully the donations havent dropped off and it should only take 8 months extra to repay her the money we owe her.

then fan ownership!!

Great post.

Bang on the cash.

Right on.

Boom shackalac.

16 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Currently 4 1

Don't want to spoil it for you but we score again.  lol

Lord Beni of Gorgie
42 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Don't want to spoil it for you but we score again.  lol

Oh Al. You are 20 hours to slow!

Zal shed a tear or 2 lifting the trophy. But there were so very few Hibs fans left to see it

:verysmug:

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You would have collected mate had we not let the tramps off the hook. 

Still a wee niggle of mine....

David Templeton off the bench and we would have

I had dreamt 10-2 a couple of months beforehand 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

You would have collected mate had we not let the tramps off the hook. 

Still a wee niggle of mine....

I was shouting we want 7.

No one cared. 

The cup was ours. 

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

David Templeton off the bench and we would have

I had dreamt 10-2 a couple of months beforehand 

We left Temps out the squad to give them a chance?