Frail - You just don't get it do you?

siegementality

I don't think this is a particularly big issue.

If this is the limit of Vlad's "interference" from now on, I can live with that and the reasoning behind it. What would be unacceptable is the constant rotating of players with no rhyme or reason.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JamboRobbo
Aside from the fact that this has been debated umpteen times already on various different threads over the last few days, are people forgetting that Frail is still caretaker manager?

Good point redm. I'd forgotton that we need a manager. ;)

It'll be five months soon -so perhaps Vlad is going for a world record length of time to appoint a manager.

Charlie-Brown
Where does it say Petrie took that decision without the agreement of Williamson?. At least Willaimson confirmed the news, thus confirming he had knowledge of the situation.

Manager Bobby Williamson confirmed the decision had been taken on purely financial grounds.

He said: "The reason is simple - he won't be in my plans because he is on too much money."

as opposed to

Caretaker Manager Frails says "I might have done the same myself (taken the decision not to play Basso)".

The difference is, and the point your missing is, Basso is wanted, he isn't on too much money, he is negotiating a contract, toys have been thrown out the pram, Frail, whether he wants to or not can't play him, that's the difference.

Petrie made the decision - the decision would have been the same whether Williamson agreed or not - Williamson simply had to accept it - John Collins recently resigned from the Hibs Managers job as Petrie was pulling the financial strings and Collins resigned because he didn't feel he could do the job he wanted to.

Guest JamboRobbo
I don't think this is a particularly big issue.

If this is the limit of Vlad's "interference" from now on, I can live with that and the reasoning behind it. What would be unacceptable is the constant rotating of players with no rhyme or reason.

If it was just the odd player, in isolation, who was GENUINELY refusing to sign a new contract with a few months left, I'd agree it's not a big issue.

The problem being, we all know that Basso has over a year of his current contract to run, and that this one instance ISN'T the limit of Vlads interference, it's just ANOTHER in along line of excuses given to try to rationalise his interference.

A few people STILL falling for it too it would appear.

Captain Canada

Can't understand all the fuss - our second best keeper wants a contract he's not worth and as a result we play our best keeper in a game which we win. As for berating Frail for it - that's bang out of order. How many people on here would still have a job if they ignored their bosses instructions all the time? Just another reason to moan. It's hardly anything new, VR has done this with plenty other players during his time at the club.

Drylaw Hearts
Petrie made the decision - the decision would have been the same whether Williamson agreed or not - Williamson simply had to accept it - John Collins recently resigned from the Hibs Managers job as Petrie was pulling the financial strings and Collins resigned because he didn't feel he could do the job he wanted to.

Petrie wasn't pulling any strings.

Collins knew the financial position when he took the job.

Because he wrongly assumed that when Hibs suddenly got an influx of cash that he'd have more to play with, is hardly the fault of Petrie.

Guest JamboRobbo
It's hardly anything new, VR has done this with plenty other players during his time at the club.

Hence the problem. It's just ANOTHER excuse.

Gigolo-Aunt

Because he wrongly assumed that when Hibs suddenly got an influx of cash that he'd have more to play with, is hardly the fault of Petrie.

Thats the way I saw it as well.

Have also heard he resigned BEFORE the opening of the new training facilities but was convinced to stay on as Collins leaving would have deflected media attention away from the opening of the training complex.

Nowt really to do with Hearts, just throwing it in.....

Can't understand all the fuss - our second best keeper wants a contract he's not worth and as a result we play our best keeper in a game which we win. As for berating Frail for it - that's bang out of order. How many people on here would still have a job if they ignored their bosses instructions all the time? Just another reason to moan. It's hardly anything new, VR has done this with plenty other players during his time at the club.

:thumb:

Usual fuss over nothing...........

Boring !!

bilston angel

I applaud the OP in his robust defence of his post in the face of the party liners, and no they do not get it because no matter what our illustrious owner throws at us they will try to defend him.

They try to tart it up as reasoned argument, but its about time they faced facts that this club is run like no other and unless they are on the payroll words fail me as to why they continue their support for this regime

Charlie-Brown
Hence the problem. It's just ANOTHER excuse.

How is it an excuse? It has been club policy for about 18 months now - RR even explained it at last years AGM - Basso is not being treated unfairly or any differently to any other player who has been in contract dispute - they won't play and will only be picked at the club's discretion - that is a policy / business decision. You can disagree with that policy if you wish but it is not new, it is not inconsistent, nor is it an excuse.

Guest JamboRobbo
How is it an excuse?

Because for 3 years they've been making up reason after reason (excuses) as to why it's right for Vlad to interfere in team selection.

That has got us to where we are today.

I can't believe there are STILL people falling for it.

It has been club policy for about 18 months now - RR even explained it at last years AGM - Basso is not being treated unfairly or any differently to any other player who has been in contract dispute - they won't play and will only be picked at the club's discretion - that is a policy / business decision. You can disagree with that policy if you wish but it is not new, it is not inconsistent, nor is it an excuse.

Of course not. THIS TIME, There REALLY IS a genuine need for Vlad to interfere so safegaurd the future of the club :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown
Thats the way I saw it as well.

Have also heard he resigned BEFORE the opening of the new training facilities but was convinced to stay on as Collins leaving would have deflected media attention away from the opening of the training complex.

Nowt really to do with Hearts, just throwing it in.....

Collins was unhappy with the contract offers being made to players he wanted to keep (Fletcher, Beuzelin) and faced losing them in January or Summer because of the low wage policy Petrie (rightfully) insists upon - although there seems to have been some relaxation of the purse strings since Collins resigned and brought the matter to the forefront of the media & hibs fans attention.

By The Light..

Frail is coach (without badges) nothing more.

Watch him at 2:45 this afternoon still coaching, not a manager by any stretch of the imagination

Drylaw Hearts
Collins was unhappy with the contract offers being made to players he wanted to keep (Fletcher, Beuzelin) and faced losing them in January or Summer because of the low wage policy Petrie (rightfully) insists upon - although there seems to have been some relaxation of the purse strings since Collins resigned and brought the matter to the forefront of the media & hibs fans attention.

As I said....

He knew the position before he came to the Club.

He was told there were funds available but they didn't match his expectations.

bilston angel
How is it an excuse? It has been club policy for about 18 months now - RR even explained it at last years AGM - Basso is not being treated unfairly or any differently to any other player who has been in contract dispute - they won't play and will only be picked at the club's discretion - that is a policy / business decision. You can disagree with that policy if you wish but it is not new, it is not inconsistent, nor is it an excuse.

It may be policy or not, I don't know but what I do know is if the player was worth a lot of money (in this case not) and was essential in the team set up a different policy would be adopted. Poliicies are broken when it suits the management

Charlie-Brown
Because for 3 years they've been making up reason after reason (excuses) as to why it's right for Vlad to interfere in team selection.

That has got us to where we are today.

I can't believe there are STILL people falling for it.

Of course not. THIS TIME, There REALLY IS a genuine need for Vlad to interfere so safegaurd the future of the club :rolleyes:

Is Basso being treated any differently or unfairly compared to Driver & Brellier who were in contract dispute with the club in August 2006? Driver was happy enough to eventually agree a 5 year deal - Brellier didn't agree a deal and left the club.....Tall has only been used sparingly since he refused new terms. What's the problem? The policy seems quite clear to me.

How is the Basso situation cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Basso is very much a rough diamond and after a couple of years of polishing, may well turn out to be an excellent keeper.

At present he is erratic to say the least, what benefit to Hearts is there in giving him a developmental platform in the first team if he doesnt want to stay!!!!!

Ideally, Jamie McDonald would be in goals for the last 5 games, but given that he is on a loan spell which has seen him be virtually ever present for QOTS in a season which will culminate in him playing in a Scottish Cup Final, its hardly the end of the world.

I agree 100% I think he's right to not play him if he is not fully committed or won't commit to the club, the same as Webster. Why should they use the facilities to benefit whichever club they move to on a free transfer. I'd rather we pressed on developing players who do wish to be at the club or will work to help the club by signing contracts so that some return can be gained from the contracts when they are sold.

I would not have trusted playing Webster for the fact we were competing for a second place, giving access to the Champions League spot with the club he'd expressed his interest in signing for, who's to say he wouldn't have made a couple of 'mistakes' that could cost us points and benefit the club he wanted to join? Not saying he would have but there was the chance.

Yeah they may be ok players but if they are not interested in being here can you trust them to play properly for us and why waste time and resources on them than can be put to better use.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What F®ail is forgetting is that by saying this, he's claiming the 'credit' for the rubbish team selections against United and Kilmarnock, such as Ivaskevicius starting at Rugby Park. Therefore, he adds more evidence to the scales that are already pointing in the direction of "Not Good Enough".

MacDonald Jardine
How exactly did Petrie interfere with the team? By selling players who came through their youth system for a huge profit?, to ensure the club is debt free, owns it's own training ground, is about to build a new stand.

Murray has spent more money in Scottish football than the rest of the Chairman put together. How has he intefered with the team?. the Michael Ball situation?, common sense. If McLiesh had told Murray he had wanted to play Ball and Ball had a future he would have played and the money paid to Everton. I am quite sure that McLeish didn't want ball.

Given Rankers are going for 4 trophies this season, have won more trophies in Murrays time at the club than we have won in our history and have spent millions of pounds on players like Hately, Laudrup Gasgoine, Mikilechenko, etc, he can hardly be slated.

As for getting personal, I apologise, however you really do need to have a word with yourself.

Murray also had a very public dispute between his manager and captain.

He sided with the player and the manager left.

I'd love to see your reaction if that happened at Hearts.

Nucky Thompson
Petrie, whose team are in the top six, have no debt, an owned outright training ground and whose new stand will be built before ours
:boak:

portobellojambo1

Correct, Collins assumed, and assumed incorrectly.

winston churchill

playing second fiddle to a fax machine about sums frail up.

or even worse,thinking elliot is a football player.

I think that's the one thing that pretty much everyone here will agree on...there's nothing run-of-the-mill about Hearts or the way things are done.

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that everything that happens at the club is completely off the wall either. People are determined to see bad intentions in every little thing that happens and that's really not the case. I'm not suggesting that it's the ideal way to do things, I'm just of the opinion that it isn't the end of the world when contract negotiations end up affecting team selections. Some perspective is needed here.

If I were Romanov and I were determined to show that I had changed my ways, I'd keep my hands off team selection, period.

Keeping things in perspective is a good idea, which is why I'm not particularly bothered about this story. It just proves that, as most Hearts fans already know, nothing has really changed.

But the flip-side of "keeping things in perspective" is that we have been urged to do so for three years now by people who have been spinning everything that is wrong with Hearts into something that we're either just too ing?nue to understand ("pyramid", "committee" and associated ordure) or something that is apparently entirely acceptable - here, interference in team selection -which we're now told has been happening throughout the history of Hearts but has actually never, to my mind, prompted a managerial resignation before Burley or has even resulted in any comment from any of the managers supposedly affected. In other words, something that has not previously even been an issue for Hearts managers or fans.

It's time certain posters stopped trying to defend this shabby regime. What their motivation is for doing so in the first place, goodness alone knows.

MacDonald Jardine
If I were Romanov and I were determined to show that I had changed my ways, I'd keep my hands off team selection, period.

Keeping things in perspective is a good idea, which is why I'm not particularly bothered about this story. It just proves that, as most Hearts fans already know, nothing has really changed.

But the flip-side of "keeping things in perspective" is that we have been urged to do so for three years now by people who have been spinning everything that is wrong with Hearts into something that we're either just too ing?nue to understand ("pyramid", "committee" and associated ordure) or something that is apparently entirely acceptable - here, interference in team selection -which we're now told has been happening throughout the history of Hearts but has actually never, to my mind, prompted a managerial resignation before Burley or has even resulted in any comment from any of the managers supposedly affected. In other words, something that has not previously even been an issue for Hearts managers or fans.

It's time certain posters stopped trying to defend this shabby regime. What their motivation is for doing so in the first place, goodness alone knows.

Noone can defend the regime entirely.

This just isn't a particularly good example of where they are going wrong.

Noone can defend the regime entirely.

This just isn't a particularly good example of where they are going wrong.

Yes, I take your point and agree.

It's just that the attempts of certain people to portray life at Tynecastle as football normality really do my head in.

Guest casper
I don't have a problem with clubs not playing players who won't be at the club next season in the final 6 months of their contract.

It has, after all, been this club's policy for a few seasons now so I fail to see why the thread starter is going so mad about it now.

Only the situation you describe is not the situation with Basso.

He is not even half way through a 2 year contract.

That's the thing, although he has changed his ways to a certain degree (i.e. no more fax machine chat...that we know of anyway!) he's in no rush to demonstrate anything. Obviously I don't know the man but from what I can tell, he's just not the sort to pander to anyone or anything unless he really wants to and quite honestly I don't think he changed his ways because we asked him to; he did it because he wanted to.

A sensible person would steer well clear of creating any remote suggestion that he was interfering, but this isn't a sensible person we're dealing with. That we know for sure. And as someone else already mentioned, he has never once promised us that he wouldn't meddle when it came to contracts etc. In fact, they've made it pretty plain that they'll take the hard line every time when it comes to that....so why anyone's surprised by this recent turn of events, I do not know.

But the flip-side of "keeping things in perspective" is that we have been urged to do so for three years now by people who have been spinning everything that is wrong with Hearts into something that we're either just too ing?nue to understand ("pyramid"' date=' "committee" and associated ordure) or something that is apparently entirely acceptable - [b']here, interference in team selection -which we're now told has been happening throughout the history of Hearts but has actually never, to my mind, prompted a managerial resignation before Burley or has even resulted in any comment from any of the managers supposedly affected[/b]. In other words, something that has not previously even been an issue for Hearts managers or fans.

Totally agree with you but that isn't what's happening here. We're not talking about general interference with team selection, we're talking about team selection in relation to a player who won't sign a new contract with us. Here's a question for you...what would YOU do? Would you play him in these circumstances? I know I wouldn't....

It's time certain posters stopped trying to defend this shabby regime. What their motivation is for doing so in the first place' date=' goodness alone knows.[/quote']

Don't confuse people who are bemused at the uproar over this situation with people who want to defend the Romanovs. For me, it's absolutely nothing to do with defending anyone...it's about this situation being manipulated into becoming another piece of ammo for those who think the sky is about to fall in every time the media decide to print something remotely negative about the club. That's why I mentioned perspective.

David McCaig

The club and the Romanovs have made a ton of mistakes over the last couple of years, however, as I have posted several times over the last couple of days, things have been progressing fairly well since January.

Team selections now have a definable logic to them and youth is getting its chance.

The final position would certainly seem to have improved in the current financial period.

The stadium application is progressing through the myriad bureaucracy of local government.

Yet there are some who post on this website who would rather the club die than turns things around as we have done in the last 6 months.

We are told that next season can result in nothing other than relegation, yet since 1 January we have shown the form of a 3rd place side despite the lack of a strikeforce. But even these deficiencies are offering a window of opportunity to Gary Glen and Scott Robinson.

Charlie-Brown
That's the thing, although he has changed his ways to a certain degree (i.e. no more fax machine chat...that we know of anyway!) he's in no rush to demonstrate anything. Obviously I don't know the man but from what I can tell, he's just not the sort to pander to anyone or anything unless he really wants to and quite honestly I don't think he changed his ways because we asked him to; he did it because he wanted to.

A sensible person would steer well clear of creating any remote suggestion that he was interfering, but this isn't a sensible person we're dealing with. That we know for sure. And as someone else already mentioned, he has never once promised us that he wouldn't meddle when it came to contracts etc. In fact, they've made it pretty plain that they'll take the hard line every time when it comes to that....so why anyone's surprised by this recent turn of events, I do not know.

Totally agree with you but that isn't what's happening here. We're not talking about general interference with team selection, we're talking about team selection in relation to a player who won't sign a new contract with us. Here's a question for you...what would YOU do? Would you play him in these circumstances? I know I wouldn't....

Don't confuse people who are bemused at the uproar over this situation with people who want to defend the Romanovs. For me, it's absolutely nothing to do with defending anyone...it's about this situation being manipulated into becoming another piece of ammo for those who think the sky is about to fall in every time the media decide to print something remotely negative about the club. That's why I mentioned perspective.

Correct redm - some people on here will persistently agitate against Hearts on any / every issue.

Yes, I take your point and agree.

It's just that the attempts of certain people to portray life at Tynecastle as football normality really do my head in.

That's the problem with this place...it's too easy to adopt polar opposites when debating these issues. It's not entirely normal, but it's not the most unusual thing in the world either. It's probably somewhere in between but pinpointing exactly where it would come on a gauge of 'normal football business behaviour' is a very difficult thing.

:laugh:

Oh for goodness sake....Just to confuse things even further:

"Anthony has done okay since taking over," continued Frail. "I'll look at the goalkeeping situation later in in the week before making a decision. Banksy is better now although the virus did floor him for quite a while. He's back training so he should be okay for the weekend.

"Hopefully Christos Karipidis will be also be ready after his back problem."

Nookie Bear
I applaud the OP in his robust defence of his post in the face of the party liners, and no they do not get it because no matter what our illustrious owner throws at us they will try to defend him.

They try to tart it up as reasoned argument, but its about time they faced facts that this club is run like no other and unless they are on the payroll words fail me as to why they continue their support for this regime

And no matter what our illustrious owner throws at us, we will look to attack the 'safe' targets like Frail, Elvis etc etc

Anyone got their 'Romanov-Stop Interfering' banners ready for today? Nah, thought not.

Commander Harris

there IS a difference between these kind of footballing business decisions and direct interference. That is not to defend the interference that has clearly happened and the mess it has led us to - it's just a fact of footballing life that sometimes the business side of things will have to affect things on the park.

I'm sure in an idea world Alex McLeish would have loved to have played Michael Ball more often in the 2004/05 season but the people responsible for the financial side of things required that he be dropped for "non-footballing" reasons as to not trigger various clauses in his contract. I only use that example because it is well documented, I imagine there have been a number of more recent examples that haven't made the press.

The business side of the game has to and has always had an influence on the footballing side of things. This is a necessary evil - but it is quite different to direct interference.

Charlie-Brown
there IS a difference between these kind of footballing business decisions and direct interference. That is not to defend the interference that has clearly happened and the mess it has led us to - it's just a fact of footballing life that sometimes the business side of things will have to affect things on the park.

I'm sure in an idea world Alex McLeish would have loved to have played Michael Ball more often in the 2004/05 season but the people responsible for the financial side of things required that he be dropped for "non-footballing" reasons as to not trigger various clauses in his contract. I only use that example because it is well documented, I imagine there have been a number of more recent examples that haven't made the press.

The business side of the game has to and has always had an influence on the footballing side of things. This is a necessary evil - but it is quite different to direct interference.

This is professional football - finances & contracts & transfer activity have a big effect on many of the decisons taken - these all have some impact.

You may be convinced that he has changed his ways in certain respects, but I'm not. Frail apparently had a period of grace in which he seemed to be calling the shots, just as all the other puppets since Burley have done. Nothing about the current state of the club suggests any change other than the rather obvious signs that the money is no longer there, if it ever was, to match the grandiose rhetoric.

Would I play Basso in these circumstances? Well, I wouldn't play him in the first team and Frail hasn't been playing him anyway. He's not worth a place in it. But if this is going the same way as Vlad's other hard-ball negotiations with players, it's hard to see where the club benefits. We're already talking about a club which, in my view, is going to find it extremly difficult over the next few years to attract decent players and also decent managerial candidates because of the reputation Romanov has created for himself. There seems to be an inherent contradiction in having a ridiculously large squad of players, many of whom are paid a king's ransom to sit on their backsides every week or embark on shagging tours of South America, and adopting the most stringent attitude when it comes to negotiating contracts. You can factor the money thrown away on SFA fines into the contradiction as well.

I didn't have you in mind when I mentioned people who will defend anything and everything the Romanovs do, by the way. Nor do I see any signs of "uproar" over this story, other than from those who would perhaps prefer that these issues weren't highlighted on the messageboard. But these people do exist. Nobody should be surprised that their continued attempts to pretend that things are OK at Tynecastle and that the blame for the current shambles lies with the fans, media, SFA etc are met with ridicule, because that's all they deserve.

Correct redm - some people on here will persistently agitate against Hearts on any / every issue.

Ah, back to Hearts = Romanov.

Good to see the old chestnuts revisited.

Charlie-Brown
Ah, back to Hearts = Romanov.

Good to see the old chestnuts revisited.

Show me where I ever posted or said that or are you just inventing things?

Show me where I ever posted or said that or are you just inventing things?

I'll do that if you can show me where anyone has agitated against Hearts on this thread. Or did you just make that up?

Charlie-Brown
I'll do that if you can show me where anyone has agitated against Hearts on this thread. Or did you just make that up?

I can show you plenty of examples from many threads where other posters complain about certain other posters constant negativity even on things that don't concern Romanov but they still post what I'd class as 'anti-Hearts' sentiment - that is my opinion.

Charlie-Brown
I don't have a problem with clubs not playing players who won't be at the club next season in the final 6 months of their contract.

It has, after all, been this club's policy for a few seasons now so I fail to see why the thread starter is going so mad about it now.

Then again, I'm not an abusive tosser looking to put a negative spin on absolutely anything that comes out of the club despite no longer being a supporter of the club.

This is one example from this thread.

I can show you plenty of examples from many threads where other posters complain about certain other posters constant negativity even on things that don't concern Romanov but they still post what I'd class as 'anti-Hearts' sentiment - that is my opinion.

Negativity is the flavour of the month, Charlie. It happens when people are ****ed off. If you want a change in the prevailing mood, I'd suggest you have a word with the owner.

I really do think you need to distinguish between anti-Romanov and anti-Hearts sentiment - the latter is something of which I discern very little on here. People are saddened by the current state of affairs, but that doesn't make them anti-Hearts.

Charlie-Brown
Negativity is the flavour of the month, Charlie. It happens when people are ****ed off. If you want a change in the prevailing mood, I'd suggest you have a word with the owner.

I really do think you need to distinguish between anti-Romanov and anti-Hearts sentiment - the latter is something of which I discern very little on here. People are saddened by the current state of affairs, but that doesn't make them anti-Hearts.

I'd agree with you that that applies to the majority on here but some people have worked themselves into such an anti-Romanov 'frenzy' that they now refuse to see any good at the club at all and are negative / anti (Hearts) now on almost every issue - every thread.

Only the situation you describe is not the situation with Basso.

He is not even half way through a 2 year contract.

I think Basso only signed for a year.

The Real Maroonblood
I'd agree with you that that applies to the majority on here but some people have worked themselves into such an anti-Romanov 'frenzy' that they now refuse to see any good at the club at all and are negative / anti (Hearts) now on almost every issue - every thread.

Where you Joseph Goebbels in another life?

Guest casper
I think Basso only signed for a year.

From Scotsman/Evening news

"I think Anthony's future will be elsewhere now. He wants to stay with Hearts but I cannot see Romanov or his people coming back and wanting to sit round the table again." Basso's current two-year contract is not due to expire until summer 2009 but the club had indicated their intention to extend his stay.

siegementality

So not only do you know everything about the finanicial organisation of Hearts but you know everything about the financial organisation of Hubz. You're some boy.

Nookie Bear
Where you Joseph Goebbels in another life?

Bang out of order and sums up why kickback is barely worth a visit these days.

The guy has a point of view - it differs from many one here - therefore he must be a 'tosser' or a Nazi Minister of Propoganda.

If folk on here backed up their talk with actions on a Saturday then Vlad would have been exposed months ago.

Archived