Alan Brazil - Drunk Driver (NHC)

Guest GhostHunter

Guest GhostHunter

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/04/24/alan-brazil-s-anger-at-being-locked-up-on-drink-drive-rap-86908-20392875/

"It's all wrong. I have had a bottle of wine. If I am over, I am over. I will lose my licence. I have no problem with that. I am an idiot for not staying over."

Does anybody else find that comment shocking ?

A-hole.

Hope he loses his job.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/04/24/alan-brazil-s-anger-at-being-locked-up-on-drink-drive-rap-86908-20392875/

Does anybody else find that comment shocking ?

A-hole.

Hope he loses his job.

Don't get whats so shocking about it ? Looks like he is admitting he is a idiot for getting in the car after a bottle of wine and is prepared to take his punishment. He is a A-hole though. :)

Drink drivers should be shot at dawn...:Bazooka:

There is no fecking need...

Charlie-Brown
I can hear his lawyer's pleas for leniency now.

from the record article....

Brazil was yesterday banned from driving for 20 months and fined him ?750 plus ?470 costs.

boabyarsebiscuit
from the record article....

Brazil was yesterday banned from driving for 20 months and fined him ?750 plus ?470 costs.

Did it mention what his lawyer said pre-sentencing? (can't open the link at work today for some reason).

Guest GhostHunter

The issue I see in it - is that he openly admits to drinking a whole bottle of wine, THEN getting in his 4x4 and driving !!

How can you excuse that in ANY shape or form ?

Charlie-Brown
Did it mention what his lawyer said pre-sentencing? (can't open the link at work today for some reason).

here's the full text boaby...

Alan Brazil's anger at being locked up on drink-drive rap

Apr 24 2008 By Mark McGivern

FORMER Scotland star Alan Brazil claimed he was being treated worse than a paedophile when he was arrested for drink-driving.

The radio host had just been told he would be put in a cell if his breath test was positive.

He told PC Simon Hughes: "Oh no. Please! Incredible.

"Paedophiles get what, three months, then come out and I am going to get banged up for a couple of hours. With the greatest of respect, the law's an arse.

"It's all wrong. I have had a bottle of wine. If I am over, I am over. I will lose my licence. I have no problem with that. I am an idiot for not staying over."

The ex-striker was abused by Celtic Boys' Club coach Jim Torbett in the early 1970s. The pervert got two years for his crimes.

Former Ipswich Town, Manchester United and Spurs player Brazil had been stopped on the A14 in Suffolk in the early hours of last September 16.

Police were suspicious because his BMW X5 was doing about 50mph on a 70 limit road and veering towards the near side.

Magistrates in Sudbury, Suffolk, saw the TalkSPORT presenter's outburst on a police DVD yesterday.

They watched as he repeatedly used the breath-test machine at Bury St Edmunds polic station.

After several attempts, it showed he was more than twice the drink-drive limit. Then Brazil said: "Jesus. I'm double.

"That's frightening. I can't believe it. I am double, I swear. Mind you, I was out last night."

Brazil then moaned about his job and claimed a conviction may be a good thing in his life.

He said: "Change job, I think.

It might do me a favour, to be honest. I am sick of London. It takes over your life, doing media in London."

The PC suggested that Brazil earns "good money". He replied: "Money's not everything."

Brazil, 48, who lives near Hadleigh, Suffolk, had denied drink-driving. He claimed the breath-test machine at the station may not have been working properly.

Last night, it emerged that Brazil would not lose his job.

A TalkSPORT spokesman said: "The drink-driving charge is something for the courts. We will be happy to have him on air in the morning as usual."

Alcoholic Brazil was sacked by the station in 2004 after missing a show because of his boozing.

But he was reinstated after a listener revolt - but must pay a ?5000 fine for every show he misses.

'I'm double the limit. I can't believe it. Mind you, I was out last night'

Seymour M Hersh
The issue I see in it - is that he openly admits to drinking a whole bottle of wine, THEN getting in his 4x4 and driving !!

How can you excuse that in ANY shape or form ?

You can't and he's been hammered with a 20 month ban. What's your problem?

I see Dexter's point, reading between the lines a little.

It may just be unfortunate wording, but he seems to come across as rather arrogant and faux apologetic.

It's quite a long ban in saying that compared to some cases I've heard of. (A mate of mine drove home from town completely blitzed, got caught and was given a 12 month ban and he'd drank a fair bit more than one bottle, the eejit).

I actually think that people who are less drunk have less of an excuse, if you get me, as some people when they get really drunk just have no idea what the hell they are doing.

Guest GhostHunter
You can't and he's been hammered with a 20 month ban. What's your problem?

His disregard and flippancy for the whole incident.

What's your problem ?

:D

boabyarsebiscuit

What's your problem ?

Reading the article (thanks NMH) I don't actually think he was flippant. Seemed he was resigned to losing his job and was doing a bit of soul-searching out loud in the cop shop.

I sometimes think we are just a little bit too precious about drink-driving in this country. Sure there are some horrific instances of it but I suspect the media and pressure groups bombard us with these to a, frankly, excessive extent. Excessive speed is just as dangerous as drink but it doesn?t derive the same level of approbriation except in the, again, extreme instances.

Drink driving and speeding cause most deaths in the countryside not the well-lit streets of the towns and cities.

Go to any other country (bar the USA) and people there will tell you Brits have a strange fascination with drink driving and of course the weather...

Guest GhostHunter
I've no time for drink drivers, but Alan Brazil had a "rather challenging upbringing" and this may have been a factor. :sad:

Cough.

It was noticeable his analogy at the start of the story right enough.

boabyarsebiscuit
Go to any other country (bar the USA) and people there will tell you Brits have a strange fascination with drink driving and of course the weather...

I've lived in the USA. Drink driving is almost compulsory over there (if you live outside a big city).

Guest GhostHunter
Reading the article (thanks NMH) I don't actually think he was flippant. Seemed he was resigned to losing his job and was doing a bit of soul-searching out loud in the cop shop.

Sorry - meant the flippancy regarding the "I drank a bottle of wine"....

Excessive speed is just as dangerous as drink.

I could not disagree more. Your point about well-lit streets is pretty naive as well in my opinion.

So, breaking the speed limit by, say, 20 mph on, say, the motorway is just as dangerous as driving down a packed Royal Mile or The Bridges pished out of your skull at 2 o'clock in the morning?

Ok.

Sorry - meant the flippancy regarding the "I drank a bottle of wine"....

How do you know he was being flippant. You can't judge his tone of voice from a newspaper report.

Whilst a bottle of wine is obviously too much, I peronally hate the grey area that exists re. how much you can drink before driving legally (unless you always carry the means to test your level). Is it 1 pint, 2 pints, 2 glasses of wine or 3?

I'm sure most people on here can drink 2 pints and not notice any effect at all, whereas on a different day you'll drink the same amount and feel it.

I would personally prefer a zero limit, then nobody is in any doubt.

The Real Maroonblood
How do you know he was being flippant. You can't judge his tone of voice from a newspaper report.

Whilst a bottle of wine is obviously too much, I peronally hate the grey area that exists re. how much you can drink before driving legally (unless you always carry the means to test your level). Is it 1 pint, 2 pints, 2 glasses of wine or 3?

I'm sure most people on here can drink 2 pints and not notice any effect at all, whereas on a different day you'll drink the same amount and feel it.

Exactly.

Guest GhostHunter

One pint is fine for a grown, healthy man with any kind of alcohol tolerance.

Two pints would most probably be OK if not drank too quickly or on an empty stomach.

Three pints would almost certainly put me over the limit but not sure about more hardened drinkers.

I once had two pints over the course of a meal, was stopped by the police on my way home for a dodgy brake light. The breathalyser showed that I had been drinking but that I had a breath reading of just over half the legal limit.

So, on that basis, the most I will have, say, if I go to the football is one pint before the match and one slow pint after. I would add that I'm talking Tennent's/Millers and not Stella/Super Bock or that.

I agree though SMcD - It would be a whole lot simpler just to have zero tolerance, even if I think that would be unrealistic and unfair to those who do have one or two glasses of wine with a meal or over a period of time socially.

doctor jambo

Everyone on here seems to be under some sort of delusion that he just held his hands up and took the rap

He didn't

THe Herald ran it yesterday

Brazil tried, using his expensive lawyers, to get it thrown out

-stated the police had no just cause for pulling him over

-the machine was not working properly/wasn't calibrated properly etc

He was guilty, knew he was guilty, yet still tried to avoid the sentence on these grounds

Its easy to be blase about drink drivers until you're pulling bodies out a car at 2am

I am a firm believer that if you re twice the limit or more it should be lifetime ban

Seymour M Hersh

What's your problem ?

Where's the Hearts content?????:P

Guest GhostHunter
Where's the Hearts content?????:P
- that'll be why the thread title states (NHC) :rolleyes:

That seems to back up yours and my suspicions, doesn't it?
- totally....

And, doc - exactly.

I've lived in the USA. Drink driving is almost compulsory over there (if you live outside a big city).

Aus is the same.... being done for drink driving is like a coming of age.

The booze busses are something else... police waiting on the busy roads, they fill up a 20 - 30 seater bus before heading to the station. Bonkers...

Oh and then there is the drive through off licences. Genius.

doctor jambo

I dont believe in a zero limit

That restricts even moderate night time drinking

-not worth banning people with residual alcohol in their bodies

However I think a life ban would get us past this- I've only had two drinks I SHOULD be fine

People will test a limit to breaking, and this has to be discouraged

There should be no " I'll chance it, I should be OK"

Excessive speed is just as dangerous as drink but it doesn?t derive the same level of approbriation except in the, again, extreme instances.

Drink driving and speeding cause most deaths in the countryside not the well-lit streets of the towns and cities...

If you're referring to the UK this is absolute nonsense. It's propaganda put out by the "safety" camera brigade to justify their stealth taxes. :mad:

Incidentally, while I have no problem with people breaking the speed limit I do have a problem if they do it in inappropriate places such as in towns or outside schools.

I dont believe in a zero limit

That restricts even moderate night time drinking

-not worth banning people with residual alcohol in their bodies

However I think a life ban would get us past this- I've only had two drinks I SHOULD be fine

People will test a limit to breaking, and this has to be discouraged

There should be no " I'll chance it, I should be OK"

I agree with almost everything you have said thus far but I'm telling you that I know that two is fine for me over a couple of hours. Obviously two on my lunch break or something might be dodgy so wouldn't risk that personally.

Earlier on in the thread you made the point that double the breath limit should result in a lifetime ban. Now you're saying two drinks.......Which is it then? There's a massive difference between 18 microgrammes and 70...

It's strange how people will always try to excuse drink driving as if it's something they can't help, or something that 'happens' to them. Total madness. Just don't do it...it's as simple as that, surely?

Regardless of what anyone's tolerance levels are, one drink is enough to impair judgement and reaction times. If I was to have one glass of wine and then end up hitting someone, I might be under the limit but I'd always wonder if I'd have been a bit quicker on the brake if I hadn't bothered. It's just not worth it.

If drunk drivers want to wrap themselves and their cars around lamp posts then fine, but inevitably there are usually innocent victims too so chuck the book at them I say.

doctor jambo
I agree with almost everything you have said thus far but I'm telling you that I know that two is fine for me over a couple of hours. Obviously two on my lunch break or something might be dodgy so wouldn't risk that personally.

Earlier on in the thread you made the point that double the breath limit should result in a lifetime ban. Now you're saying two drinks.......Which is it then? There's a massive difference between 18 microgrammes and 70...

Sorry if I caused confusion

Twice the limit and lifetime ban

But not below that level- standard bans apply then

And whilst two drinks may be fine for you (I dont know if it is or isnt), it is impossible to quantify what that translates to in mcg- every person is different- and will vary on a daily basis in an individual

Is it really worth the risk?

It's strange how people will always try to excuse drink driving as if it's something they can't help, or something that 'happens' to them. Total madness. Just don't do it...it's as simple as that, surely?

Regardless of what anyone's tolerance levels are, one drink is enough to impair judgement and reaction times. If I was to have one glass of wine and then end up hitting someone, I might be under the limit but I'd always wonder if I'd have been a bit quicker on the brake if I hadn't bothered. It's just not worth it.

If drunk drivers want to wrap themselves and their cars around lamp posts then fine, but inevitably there are usually innocent victims too so chuck the book at them I say.

That's a fair point of course. I won't add anything more on this thread. I have been honest here which a lot of people wouldn't have the nutsack to do.

You can obviously blame yourself and ask youself questions after an event, but you'd do that anyway without the massively significant one pint reaction time difference.

You'd be like "What if I'd only been going 20....what if I hadn't changed the radio station....What if I hadn't left my house at all"......and so on infinitely.

Sorry if I caused confusion

Twice the limit and lifetime ban

But not below that level- standard bans apply then

And whilst two drinks may be fine for you (I dont know if it is or isnt), it is impossible to quantify what that translates to in mcg- every person is different- and will vary on a daily basis in an individual

Is it really worth the risk?

As a doctor, you should be aware that the average adult male human body will clear one pint of low strength beer from the system almost completely in one to two hours, no?

I'd bet any amount of cash on my being legal after two pints spread over 2 1/2 hours, such as my football scenario.

I wouldn't however, bet on my being fine after a "quick couple" on a lunch break etc. See the difference? I see your point and RedM's also and in no way am I or will I be made to feel irresponsible for admitting what many, many others may be scared to.

Anyway, I feel a bit like a troll, so I will view your reply but this is defo my last post on the subject.

Seymour M Hersh
- that'll be why the thread title states (NHC) :rolleyes:

- totally....

And, doc - exactly.

Do'h!:107years:

• Moderators

People should be very careful with what they post on this thread.

Infractions have already been given for unsuitable content.

Hans von Luck
People should be very careful with what they post on this thread.

Infractions have already been given for unsuitable content.

Cummon Mod that was not bad I have seen alot worse put on other threads than that.

I was only stating the facts.

FORMER Scotland star Alan Brazil claimed he was being treated worse than a paedophile when he was arrested for drink-driving.

Oh dear:oopsoops::oopsoops:

I stopped listening to TalkShhite a long time ago but how ironic it would be if they were to have a phone in about 'Drink drivers - should we hang them !? Problem drinkers who miss work - should they be sacked ?!'

Would probably never happen though as they seem to be fixated with Immigration , dole scroungers , E European immigrants , E European benefits fraudsters - repeat ad nauseam.

Archived