US Presidential Election

BigC

Jobless total falls in USA to its lowest total for 3 years.

Anyone else think we could make this into a US Presidential Election Thread?:unsure:

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest poll:

President Barack Obama's lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney has narrowed to just 2 percentage points since Romney's strong performance in their first debate, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.

The online poll conducted from Monday to Friday showed 46 percent of likely voters backed Obama, versus 44 percent for Romney. Obama had led by 48 to 43 percent in Thursday's daily tracking poll, the first to include a day of interviews after the debate.

shaun.lawson

Latest poll:

President Barack Obama's lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney has narrowed to just 2 percentage points since Romney's strong performance in their first debate, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.

The online poll conducted from Monday to Friday showed 46 percent of likely voters backed Obama, versus 44 percent for Romney. Obama had led by 48 to 43 percent in Thursday's daily tracking poll, the first to include a day of interviews after the debate.

But the encouraging thing for Obama is, in poll after poll throughout the campaign, and especially more recently, Romney's always been hovering at around 45%, and never breaks through 47% (ironic, that). I'm not seeing how that changes now, unless Obama just collapses completely over the final few weeks.

But the encouraging thing for Obama is, in poll after poll throughout the campaign, and especially more recently, Romney's always been hovering at around 45%, and never breaks through 47% (ironic, that). I'm not seeing how that changes now, unless Obama just collapses completely over the final few weeks.

Yeah, still think Obama will get in - but that doesn't change the fact the debate was a shocker for his campaign.

Latest poll:

Interesting.

Today Gallup has - Obama 50% (+1), Romney 45% (nc).

Hmmm. Lies, damn lies springs to mind.

shaun.lawson

A response from the people Mr Jackson's ad was aimed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhV9aZOqmz8

But the problem is, as in previous elections, if they either don't vote at all or waste their vote by voting for the excellent, principled, but entirely hopeless Gary Johnson, those this video was aimed at could end up letting in their worst nightmare.

And then where will they be?

But the problem is, as in previous elections, if they either don't vote at all or waste their vote by voting for the excellent, principled, but entirely hopeless Gary Johnson, those this video was aimed at could end up letting in their worst nightmare.

And then where will they be?

I agree, but their concerns are valid.

You'll probably need another day or two to see the effects (whatever they might be) kicking in. RCP's "poll of polls" is reading Obama 49.1%, Romney 46%.

And today it reads Obama 48.6%, Romney 46.8%, Obama +1.8%.

Lochend Brazil

Lets hope Romney gets in, we don't need people like obama running countries

If your wish is granted, then mental health will be a thing of the past. Romney has no clue on the health service and the poor vulnerable will be aloud to stew in their on pit. Imagine standing in line for basic care, well given opertuntiy Romney would expect the less privelaged to do handstands. When IDS implements the radical reform here its minor in compariason to Mitts visions.

The walking dead!

Lochend Brazil

If your wish is granted, then mental health will be a thing of the past. Romney has no clue on the health service and the poor vulnerable will be aloud to stew in their on pit. Imagine standing in line for basic care, well given opertuntiy Romney would expect the less privelaged to do handstands. When IDS implements the radical reform here its minor in comparison to Mitts visions.

The walking dead!

I highly suggest anyone who's interested in this watch the Jon Stewart v Bill O'Reilly debate. It can be found online.

It's incredible, and much better than the Presidential debate!

Can it be found free online? Would really like to see it. Ive watched them together on YouTube and it was great viewing.

The Real Maroonblood

Lets hope Romney gets in, we don't need people like obama running countries

So do I.

Just what we need a warmonger as a President. :rolleyes:

I did. Quite a decent joust. Thought Biden did pretty well.

He did. It was far more interesting than I had anticipated. Paul Ryan has perfected that smug, patronising face at all times look though. I really cant stand him.

I know people werent keen on Biden's laughing and interrupting, but I think it was clearly a ploy to annoy Ryan, which I think it did. How much influence it'll have, is anyone's guess though. How are the polls looking since?:unsure:

I caught a bit with the Libertarian Party candidate on 'The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann (which is on Russia Today). There is some suggestion that he could very well split the vote for either of the main candidates in close states.

Just saw on ABC news that Pizza Hut are offering free pizza for life if anyone asks 'do you prefer pepperoni or sausage on your pizza' at tonight's live town hall debate.

Only in America?

Just saw on ABC news that Pizza Hut are offering free pizza for life if anyone asks 'do you prefer pepperoni or sausage on your pizza' at tonight's live town hall debate.

Only in America?

I saw something about a Pizza Hut advert being pulled from the air. Hugely surprising, and devastating for their marketing efforts.

Obama lost ground after the last debate, there's absolutely no doubt about that. He was between 3 and 3.5 percent ahead in the tracking polls, and then fell 1.7% behind. But he's recovered in the last couple of days, and is now showing only 0.3% behind. It also does look as if Romney's vote share is rising fastest where it's no use to him - i.e. in states that were already red in 2008 - which means Obama seems to have a marginal edge in the electoral college. But if he makes a mess of this debate, he's a goner, IMO.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Nice little Democrat site on the Romney/Ryan tax plan - http://t.co/2qQ8nj07

Pretty much give and take in the polls at the moment.

Obama has to evoke a bit of the Biden debating style tonight. Call Romney out on his inconsistencies, while not trying to be too aggressive.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Anyone else going to be watching?

I'm particularly keen as it's the first debate where there'll be plenty of questions and debate on foreign policy, which is my main interest, academically and recreationally.

There won't be much of a cleavage between the two candidates - Romney will stress that Obama's FP has failed, while painting himself as more of a hardliner. Obama will be on the defensive for most of the debate, IMO.

We also won't hear anything particularly new or revolutionary from either candidate as well I reckon.

I was going to and passed the time by watching some of the cup final...

Going to bed now. :mellow:

Kalamazoo Jambo

I'll be turning over to Sons of Anarchy shortly. Romney will still be full of shite.

Watching the debate now. Will continue the seethe in your absence :thumbsup:

Watching the debate now. Will continue the seethe in your absence :thumbsup:

If I'm seething at anything, it's at the fact so many poor turkeys will vote for Romney's Christmas totally unaware he has no interest in their well-being.

Snake Plissken

Just started watching and within seconds I heard my first lie.

"I'll balance the budget" from Romney.

Republicans always promise this but never do it, you can't have tax cuts and a balanced budget - simple arithmetic should dictate that but it's always the same mantra from them and millions still buy it.

I'm glad that Romney thinks employers should be flexible enough to let the womenfolk get home and make dinner.

Just started watching and within seconds I heard my first lie.

"I'll balance the budget" from Romney.

Republicans always promise this but never do it, you can't have tax cuts and a balanced budget - simple arithmetic should dictate that but it's always the same mantra from them and millions still buy it.

Obama can't completely call him out on that though. Because, um, just like New Labour, he cut taxes and (unsuccessfully) tried to balance the budget too. :lol:

I've enjoyed this, to be honest. Very combative stuff, and so, so much better from Obama. Thus far, he's won this clearly; if that continues, he'll be back ahead in the polls. :thumbsup:

Every point Mittens tries to make about Obama's time in office is completely undermined by the fact the economy was a complete mess when he took office.

Every point Mittens tries to make about Obama's time in office is completely undermined by the fact the economy was a complete mess when he took office.

And by the fact that the Republicans have either blocked or tried to block just about everything in Congress.

Do enough people realise that, though?

Fat, sweaty WASP in audience looking most unimpressed with Barry-O's response on immigration. :lol:

Kalamazoo Jambo

And by the fact that the Republicans have either blocked or tried to block just about everything in Congress.

Quite simply, no.

I just don't think enough voters actually pay attention to what actually goes on in politics. Or in politicians' heads.

The US is not unique in that respect, though.

The one thing that always ****s me off is the "gas" price argument. Do these people seriously think the President has any control over the pump price? Or should have, more to the point??

The one thing that always ****s me off is the "gas" price argument. Do these people seriously think the President has any control over the pump price? Or should have, more to the point??

On both counts, yes they do.

Democracy's never been an ideal system. It gives an equal voice to so many stupid people.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Good point - and of course gas is cheap in comparison with many other countries - just not cheap versus historical US prices.

Anyway - get it pumped.

Archived