US Presidential Election

BigC

I've popped a bottle of bud and I've got Sky News on.

Can Mitt Romney land a punch and swing the polls or will Obama's oratory skills be too much?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goan Mitt ... spice this up ... attack. not that I give a monkey's who 'wins' this.

Just watched for 20 mins and they when back and forth saying the exact same argument/counter argument. :mellow:

You're going to make 5 trillion dollars worth of cuts

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

shaun.lawson

Romney is making his point better. Obama may have the right of it but he seems tired

Agree. I actually think Romney's been lying through his teeth all debate long, but Obama hasn't got that across. He's scared to get it across for fear of appearing unPresidential.

Right now, Obama looks like a history professor lecturing his people about details many will neither understand nor care about. It's ominous if you ask me.

"Let me explain why".

"Let me be clear".

You've had 4 years to explain and be clear, Mr President - why are you still failing to do so?

Just watched for 20 mins and they when back and forth saying the exact same argument/counter argument. :mellow:

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

Then by default Obama wins because that's what people are talking about during an after the debate.

It's also factually accurate so when the fact checkers look at it after they declare Obama correct... He wins again.

If Mittens cuts funding of PBS and they cannae afford Downtown Abbey any more, I will be raging.

Romney kicked Obama's arse. The latter was hopeless. :(

How so?

Nothing new from either candidate... no gaffes on either side.

Romney also switching positions every two minutes, jumping to the left of Obama on certain issues to get one over on him... It helped him get on a par in the debate but he's going to be fact checked and called a flip flopper afterwards.

shaun.lawson

How so?

Nothing new from either candidate... no gaffes on either side.

Romney also switching positions every two minutes, jumping to the left of Obama on certain issues to get one over on him... It helped him get on a par in the debate but he's going to be fact checked and called a flip flopper afterwards.

Hey C, here's a revolutionary idea. How about Obama 'fact checks' Romney - ie. calls him out; calls him the brazen faced liar he undoubtedly is - during the debate? That's what a debate like this is for, for God's sake.

As it was, Obama looked stiff, ponderous, over-serious and bogged down in detail. His opponent surprised everyone by being fluent, confident, on the offensive and far, far more effective in getting his point across. Slick, smooth salesman meets bumbling, patronising college professor.

Obama's message could be summed up as: "You've had 4 years of mostly failure. Vote for me and I'll keep doing the exact same thing!" Romney's message - that after 4 years of failure, the US clearly needs to change course - will have struck a chord with a lot of people - and the only way a President with such a mixed record gets re-elected is through a combination of new ideas (Obama doesn't have any), humility (an acknowledgement that some mistakes had been made, and lessons had been learned - but Obama just blamed the Republicans instead) and above all, exposing the hollow, vacuous, utterly disingenous lies of his opponent (Obama utterly failed to do so).

Never mind Obama's campaign team. Michelle needs to get a hold of her husband, kick his backside and wake him the hell up. He's just turned a virtually certain win into an election that's hanging horribly in the balance.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Does anyone actually care about these debates? They were a novelty in the UK last time but they are long in the tooth in the US. I doubt it will affect voting patterns at all.

Does anyone actually care about these debates? I doubt it will affect voting patterns at all.

According to a variety of 'experts' across a number of channels last night, no they dont. They do little to sway voters as they have either already picked, or decide on other issues.

I didnt see it last night but will watch it later. One thing about Obama 'holding back' and not 'fact checking' which seems to be the general opinion - there have been a number of commentators who said it would be best if he did that as going otherwise could, and perhaps would, turn voters off. That might have been a big reason for his performance last night.

Does anyone actually care about these debates? They were a novelty in the UK last time but they are long in the tooth in the US. I doubt it will affect voting patterns at all.

This

According to a variety of 'experts' across a number of channels last night, no they dont. They do little to sway voters as they have either already picked, or decide on other issues.

And this.

Exactly. We had folk claiming Clegg would be next PM after the UK debates :vrface:

Without a hint of irony.

Incredible.

Surely you are not suggesting we have a resident patronising windbag pseudo professor on KB.......?

:lol:

Without a hint of irony.

Incredible.

Oh my. Just wonderful.

At the sight of these words, Shaun will have ripped off his tweed jacket with the leather elbow patches, calmly tapped out his meerschaum pipe and prepared to hand down a didactic rebuke the likes of which havent been seen since time immemorial, which Shaun explains is actually 1189.

Hey C, here's a revolutionary idea. How about Obama 'fact checks' Romney - ie. calls him out; calls him the brazen faced liar he undoubtedly is - during the debate? That's what a debate like this is for, for God's sake.

As it was, Obama looked stiff, ponderous, over-serious and bogged down in detail. His opponent surprised everyone by being fluent, confident, on the offensive and far, far more effective in getting his point across. Slick, smooth salesman meets bumbling, patronising college professor.

Obama's message could be summed up as: "You've had 4 years of mostly failure. Vote for me and I'll keep doing the exact same thing!" Romney's message - that after 4 years of failure, the US clearly needs to change course - will have struck a chord with a lot of people - and the only way a President with such a mixed record gets re-elected is through a combination of new ideas (Obama doesn't have any), humility (an acknowledgement that some mistakes had been made, and lessons had been learned - but Obama just blamed the Republicans instead) and above all, exposing the hollow, vacuous, utterly disingenous lies of his opponent (Obama utterly failed to do so).

Never mind Obama's campaign team. Michelle needs to get a hold of her husband, kick his backside and wake him the hell up. He's just turned a virtually certain win into an election that's hanging horribly in the balance.

I think I must have seen a different debate.

Most people will never change their mind and will always vote Democrat or Republican. They're probably 80% of the electorate. (not 94% as Mitt might think!)

So the debate is really geared at the <20% who are swing voters and either haven't decided yet or who might change their minds.

Sterling Archer

So lying and hoping no one catches you is winning a debate now? No surprise lawson feels like that though :look:

Regardless of party, would America vote a Mormon into the White House?

Never mind the Mormons, they've voted in more than a few morons over the years!!

I see what you did there 2na, and it's a fair point.

I guess they said the same about JFK as he wasn't a WASP.

I feel bad because it seemed a cheap way of doing it, but our belief in the prejudices of other (which are prejudices themselves for the most part) can seem naive in hindsight.

Still can't see it, but the mormon thing isnt his biggest drawback. He's reminiscent of Kerry, not good enough in the circumstances, but worth remembering as it's a good answer to a pub quiz round - 'american presidential election losers'.

I feel bad because it seemed a cheap way of doing it, but our belief in the prejudices of other (which are prejudices themselves for the most part) can seem naive in hindsight.

Still can't see it, but the mormon thing isnt his biggest drawback. He's reminiscent of Kerry, not good enough in the circumstances, but worth remembering as it's a good answer to a pub quiz round - 'american presidential election losers'.

I'll see your Kerry, and raise you Dukakis... :rolleyes:

Edit: and you make a fair point re how we (I) view others.

shaun.lawson

Oh my. Just wonderful.

At the sight of these words, Shaun will have ripped off his tweed jacket with the leather elbow patches, calmly tapped out his meerschaum pipe and prepared to hand down a didactic rebuke the likes of which havent been seen since time immemorial, which Shaun explains is actually 1189.

No. I'm too busy laughing at Pistol's elegant put down. :lol: Difference is, though:

1. I'm not the one running for President.

2. It takes one bumbling college professor type to spot another. :geek:

I think I must have seen a different debate.

I guess 67% of registered voters watched a different debate to you, Peebo. The consensus across the board is that Romney won convincingly, and that Obama was passive, lacklustre, and in the words of James Carville, that he looked like "he didn't want to be there".

He's reminiscent of Kerry

Yep, I can see that. But for the first time last night, I started taking the prospect of Romney winning seriously. I never thought Kerry had the remotest chance.

Exactly. We had folk claiming Clegg would be next PM after the UK debates :vrface:

The Liberal Democrat vote did actually increase in the election which had looked very unlikely before the debates. However, they lost seats because Labour and the Conservatives both were quite successful in arguing that it was a two-horse race and a vote for anyone else was a wasted vote which I think was a factor in them losing marginal seats.

That said, the debates themselves, I feel, damaged smaller parties and reinforced the message that both Labour and the Tories were putting across. That combined with polls suggesting a close election perhaps damaged the chances of smaller parties (the 2009 European election suggested they might make some sort of breakthrough) and regional parties (SNP & Plaid Cyrmu - not so much the Northern Irish parties).

The whole US system and attitude is what's allowed and entrenched a two-party system and these live TV debates will be a factor in that. I fear they don't become a common feature in UK politics (or possibly Scotland post-2016).

No. I'm too busy laughing at Pistol's elegant put down. :lol: Difference is, though:

1. I'm not the one running for President.

2. It takes one bumbling college professor type to spot another. :geek:

Glad you took it in the spirit intended.

:D

I was surprised by Romney last night. He's definitely back in play.

But Obama let him in by looking tired and, frankly, like it was all a bit beneath him.

Huge mistake. I think we'll see a different Barry O in round 2, but the problem for him is that's two weeks off. While I don't think Romney's done enough to take the lead, Obama has now lost control of the narrative.

Before the debate Romney was almost down and out, hounded by the '47 percent' comments. Now, if there's even the slightest bump for him in the next round of polls, the narrative shifts to him rallying from behind, can he do it, has Obama blown it etc.

All the oh-so-smart comments about the debates not mattering are, frankly, bullshit. They've shown numerous times they have the potential to change the outcome.

All the oh-so-smart comments about the debates not mattering are, frankly, bullshit. They've shown numerous times they have the potential to change the outcome.

They werent really oh-so-smart IMO. I know my comment referred to what I've read and heard over the last couple of days, from various political commentators and former advisers.

They werent really oh-so-smart IMO. I know my comment referred to what I've read and heard over the last couple of days, from various political commentators and former advisers.

Yeah, not a dig at you personally. But the number of 'oh they don't matter' articles kicking around the last few days has been tiresome.

Put it this way, if Sten Guns buys it, it's probably wrong. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, not a dig at you personally. But the number of 'oh they don't matter' articles kicking around the last few days has been tiresome.

Put it this way, if Sten Guns buys it, it's probably wrong. thumbsup.gif

I wonder if he looked lacklustre and tired because it was his anniversary?:whistling:

Anyone who genuinely believes Romney will become president.

I'll run the length of Princes Street, calling myself Gary Jos.

My thoughts too.

I dont think he'll win it, but it'll be a helluva lot closer than people think, debates or otherwise. Even more so if they can win over any judge with the voter suppression stuff kicking around.

No change in Gallup Daily Tracking: Obama 49%, Romney 45%.

You'll probably need another day or two to see the effects (whatever they might be) kicking in. RCP's "poll of polls" is reading Obama 49.1%, Romney 46%.

southside1874

A couple of guys who spraff a load of pants and depending on how the big business sees it they could win by media persuasion. I thought slavery was dead but I'm now thinking different. Emmerdale farm is bad.

Jimmy McNulty

Disappointed with Obama -- lots of hesitation and never called Romney out at all. Romney? DOn't like him or his politics much, but he spoke well IMO.

Archived