Condolence threads on JKB: discussion

Rawrrrrrrr

OMG. :eek:

The delusion is mental. I despise rangers FC and anyone who BOTHERED to read my threads would be very aware of this. You are just a perfect example of TARRING EVERYONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

Pathetic is not the word. So I am saying this because Burns was a Catholic !!?? :wacko:

FFS that is truly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

You have just accused me of being bigoted - that is completely out of order. I don't usually report posts but I will be reporting this one.

I will be reasonable though and allow you to apologise if you want to avoid that. I am a fair bloke after all.

:dramaqueen::Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coppercrutch
Its funny how you bring this up CC.

I like you mate, but I'm pretty annoyed at anyone denying people to give condolences to a footballing great on their doorstep.

I know the real reason wont come out, as you're too clever to do that, but I'm betting that if a Rangers legend had died today, you and your cronnie's would have been first to post on it.

Chester I think you are making an error of judgement here. Just because I am mates with certain people and drink in certain places does not make me a bigot. I just don't let that stuff bother me. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

I despise the Huns and the Tims. I have stated this over and over again.

People just see Robbos and equal it to bigot. That is totally unfair. And anyway it is **** these days !!!

coppercrutch
I'm not having a go at anybody, and this isn't meant to be in any way controversial, I'm just curious as to what the point of an RIP thread is. Unless the friends and family of the deceased are Jambos and read Kickback, surely there is no point to it whatsoever? I just don't understand what purpose typing "RIP...was a good guy" etc actually serves.

Don't even bother. You can see what response you will get. Do not question anything on JKB !!

Lesson # 1 !!!

Don't even bother. You can see what response you will get. Do not question anything on JKB !!

Lesson # 1 !!!

Lesson # 2. Dont openly threaten to report somebody over nonsense. :arf:

Craigieboy
OMG. :eek:

The delusion is mental. I despise rangers FC and anyone who BOTHERED to read my threads would be very aware of this. You are just a perfect example of TARRING EVERYONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

Pathetic is not the word. So I am saying this because Burns was a Catholic !!?? :wacko:

FFS that is truly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

You have just accused me of being bigoted - that is completely out of order. I don't usually report posts but I will be reporting this one.

I will be reasonable though and allow you to apologise if you want to avoid that. I am a fair bloke after all.

This is one of the funniest things I have read.

Each to their own opinion I suppose.

No apology though.

coppercrutch
Its funny how you bring this up CC.

In fact I will tell you why I brought this up.

A disabled Hearts fan who has had a RIP sticky got 54 replies in 8 days.

A Celtic player who had nothing to do with Hearts got 54 replies within 57 minutes.

That disgusts me. I pointed this out earlier but I was not 'allowed' to. I am not saying anymore than that but you can work it out. The people on this board value the life of Burns more than the life of a young Hearts fan. That is a fact. The figures speak for themselves.

And after all this I am the one who is classed as "15 years old", "thick", "just insensitive", "Attention seeker", and someone with "no compassion".

The hypocrisy is amazing.

That is the only reason I brought this thread up.

For the record if this had been a Rangers player I would say exactly the same.

Let's just hope it is Kris Boyd soon and I can prove my point...;)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

To be honest I can't recall CC ever being a hun sympathizer or whatever it is they are called!

You make a fair point CC but I can also see why a Tommy Burns thread would get more comments than a natural disaster thread or a Jambo who has passed away that no-one knew of.

A Frank Lampards mum thread is ridiculous but I can see why someone would want to post about a well known Scottish football figure.

coppercrutch
To be honest I can't recall CC ever being a hun sympathizer or whatever it is they are called!

You make a fair point CC but I can also see why a Tommy Burns thread would get more comments than a natural disaster thread or a Jambo who has passed away that no-one knew of.

A Frank Lampards mum thread is ridiculous but I can see why someone would want to post about a well known Scottish football figure.

I totally agree. I can see why people would do it but I don't agree with it. And when I simply put MY OPINION across I get abuse and am told that my opinions is not welcome !!!

If these same people that put an RIP for Burns did it for the Hearts fan then fair enough. I would not even make a comment on it. Unfortunately they do not.

They overlook a fellow jambo they probably see every game at Tynie in favour of a guy who they have never met.

But hey I am being the ridiculous one after all.:dribble:

Hypocrisy is STAGGERING in this place.

Cheers for the support though !!:)

Craigieboy

A Celtic player who had nothing to do with Hearts got 54 replies within 57 minutes.

That disgusts me. I pointed this out earlier but I was not 'allowed' to. I am not saying anymore than that but you can work it out. The people on this board value the life of Burns more than the life of a young Hearts fan. That is a fact. The figures speak for themselves.

And after all this I am the one who is classed as "15 years old", "thick", "just insensitive", "Attention seeker", and someone with "no compassion".

Some fair points in there. Yet, I can't get away from the fact that people should be allowed to pay respects to whom they want to in a public setting.

I didn't particularly relate to the devotion & sadness portrayed when the pope died a few years back, yet to publicly shout people down for showing respect to a person who died seems daft to me.

chester copperpot

CC Mate,

I actually passed on my condolences on that thread, even though I did not know the HMFC supporter in person.

I guess the people who have responded to the TB condolences thread do so because he was in the public limelight with both Cellick and Scotland for many years.

People maybe feel a thing for Tommy Burns, however going forward, we should maybe have a rule for these things.

I am sorry I tarred you with the brush, but feel strongly about Burns due to him being nothing but decent since I've known about him. On top of that, he had a lovely left foot, which made me enjoy watching Scotland growing up as a young lad.

It just irks me that certain posters claim to be appalled at the passing on of condolences when a scotland legend dies, however will sit and post good luck Glasgow Rangers FC whenever they're about.

That last statement is not aimed at you, and apologies for picking on your post, I just wish it had been one of the other posters who had done it.

coppercrutch
Some fair points in there. Yet, I can't get away from the fact that people should be allowed to pay respects to whom they want to in a public setting.

I didn't particularly relate to the devotion & sadness portrayed when the pope died a few years back, yet to publicly shout people down for showing respect to a person who died seems daft to me.

That is fair enough. I have never said people should not be allowed to do this. I have said that I don't agree with it but it is their free choice. However when I point out the lack of effort for other RIP threads I am vilified. I don't get that.

coppercrutch
CC Mate,

I actually passed on my condolences on that thread, even though I did not know the HMFC supporter in person.

I guess the people who have responded to the TB condolences thread do so because he was in the public limelight with both Cellick and Scotland for many years.

People maybe feel a thing for Tommy Burns, however going forward, we should maybe have a rule for these things.

I am sorry I tarred you with the brush, but feel strongly about Burns due to him being nothing but decent since I've known about him. On top of that, he had a lovely left foot, which made me enjoy watching Scotland growing up as a young lad.

It just irks me that certain posters claim to be appalled at the passing on of condolences when a scotland legend dies, however will sit and post good luck Glasgow Rangers FC whenever they're about.

That last statement is not aimed at you, and apologies for picking on your post, I just wish it had been one of the other posters who had done it.

No probs I do see where you are coming from. I did the same thing on here yesterday, accused a Jambo of being a Celtic fan...:eek:

But I am not one of 'those' you are describing. I do stick up for certain things that certain people say however. Does not mean I agree with them.

I also have a problem with people stating good luck to the Huns !!

Craigieboy
That is fair enough. I have never said people should not be allowed to do this. I have said that I don't agree with it but it is their free choice. However when I point out the lack of effort for other RIP threads I am vilified. I don't get that.

I suppose there is a time & place really.

People can sometimes relate to deaths. I suppose for anyone that has lost a loved one to cancer at a very early age will feel immense sympathy for the family of Tommy Burns at the moment.

To read comments that 'seem' to criticise people for their sympathy just grinds a wee bit.

coppercrutch
I don't think its your opinions that bother people, its the way you put them across.

Fair enough. However I think it is people's opinions that are more important than how they display them.

Anyway we all hate the huns and the tims. And we support Hearts even though we are ****. And it is sad that a football guy died today.

We are all actually in agreement here. :)

CC Mate,

Yes and it's quite a simple rule:

RIP threads are suitable for Hearts fans who have passed away or football people who have passed away. You are not allowed to moan if one thread gets more attention than the other.

coppercrutch

People can sometimes relate to deaths. I suppose for anyone that has lost a loved one to cancer at a very early age will feel immense sympathy for the family of Tommy Burns at the moment.

To read comments that 'seem' to criticise people for their sympathy just grinds a wee bit.

Totally see where you are coming from. I am sure everyone feels sympathy for his family. I just think the best time to point out people being hypocrites is when they are in the act !!!

As you say maybe there is a time and a place. I am an honest chap though, I just say it how it is.

Yep, cancer is a touchy subject and unfortunately it will touch all of us at one point or another. :sad:

coppercrutch
Yep, cancer is a touchy subject and unfortunately it will touch all of us at one point or another. :sad:

Is it one out of every 4 people or something like that ?

Is it one out of every 4 people or something like that ?

Think it's one in 4 will get cancer but we will most likely all suffer loss from it in our lifetime.

coppercrutch
Think it's one in 4 will get cancer but we will most likely all suffer loss from it in our lifetime.

Well anyway I think thats a good point to leave this thread. Cheers for letting me get my point across. Sorry If I offended anyone. Really was not the intention. I just think different from most people.

Craigieboy
Totally see where you are coming from. I am sure everyone feels sympathy for his family. I just think the best time to point out people being hypocrites is when they are in the act !!!

As you say maybe there is a time and a place. I am an honest chap though, I just say it how it is.

I have learned that we are ALL hypocrites at times.

:)

Celtic Fans will be demanding a minute's silence next! Just you watch!

The wallowing self pitying doom merchants that they are!

;)

A Boy Named Crow

I thought the thread you're talking aout was a nice thing to do. She was a Jambo, people knew her and wanted to note her passing. I didn't know her at all, so I just kept clear.

These threads that run to pages and pages of empty sentimental clap trap about somebody they don't know, on the other hand, should be given their own area on the site. Maybe call it the "Grief Junkies Corner" or something.

Guest S.U.S.S.

I think CC is upset re the fact that the "Celebrity deaths" are jumped upon by the "pro mourners "squad, each trying to sound more devastated than the last, yet a fellow Hearts fan passes and its ignored by said squad.

A jambo is one of us known or not.

All this thinking of the family, true great, will be a great loss to us all is crap. How much of the posters day was taken up grieving? Probably about the time it took to type their message. That?s not to detract from true messages, simple RIP?s etc are respectful but not the gushing sympathy from people who never met nor probably considered the person till their death.

Let those who pass do so with dignity and respect.

I think CC is upset re the fact that the "Celebrity deaths" are jumped upon by the "pro mourners "squad, each trying to sound more devastated than the last, yet a fellow Hearts fan passes and its ignored by said squad.

A jambo is one of us known or not.

All this thinking of the family, true great, will be a great loss to us all is crap. How much of the posters day was taken up grieving? Probably about the time it took to type their message. That’s not to detract from true messages, simple RIP’s etc are respectful but not the gushing sympathy from people who never met nor probably considered the person till their death.

Let those who pass do so with dignity and respect.

Unless they are a Balkan singer of course.

The comforting thing is he can live on throught his music and continue to bring joy and hopefully peace to a trouble dpart of the world.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Unless they are a Balkan singer of course.

He will be a big loss to the region, his music was helping bring together the people of the area.

Not as fashionable as some threads to post on tho i gather.

You dont need to edit your posts and add stuff in, im aware of what i posted.

My take on this (and I may well have already posted in this thread) is that there's an attitude in this country where everyone tries to out-grieve each other - take the grief high ground, if you will. I can see why it annoys people. It's very fakeness seems to cheapen the real grief felt by those who were close to the deceased. You only have to look at today's Record to see what I mean.

All that said, I don't think that the majority of condolence threads on Kickback are really like that. I don't really see the problem with the majority of posts in them, although you will always get a few nuggets as you do in any thread.

I thought that a certain poster's post on the Tommy Burns thread where all he posted was Christian propaganda was pretty offensive - neither necessary or entirely appropriate. I said so on the thread, and a mod edited it - which I suppose was fair enough, not really the time or place.

Commander Harris
My take on this (and I may well have already posted in this thread) is that there's an attitude in this country where everyone tries to out-grieve each other - take the grief high ground, if you will. I can see why it annoys people. It's very fakeness seems to cheapen the real grief felt by those who were close to the deceased. You only have to look at today's Record to see what I mean.

All that said, I don't think that the majority of condolence threads on Kickback are really like that. I don't really see the problem with the majority of posts in them, although you will always get a few nuggets as you do in any thread.

I thought that a certain poster's post on the Tommy Burns thread where all he posted was Christian propaganda was pretty offensive - neither necessary or entirely appropriate. I said so on the thread, and a mod edited it - which I suppose was fair enough, not really the time or place.

a few bible verses on a condolense thread hardly amounts to christian propoganda, does it?

as an aside, the whole R.I.P. (requiescat in pace/rest in peace) concept is one rooted in Roman Catholic theology - so it could be argued that almost every single poster on that thread was making a religion statement.

a few bible verses on a condolense thread hardly amounts to christian propoganda, does it?

as an aside, the whole R.I.P. (requiescat in pace/rest in peace) concept is one rooted in Roman Catholic theology - so it could be argued that almost every single poster on that thread was making a religion statement.

It just seemed needless. "Propaganda" was maybe taking it a bit far, but it just seemed totally unnecessary to me.

As for the "RIP" thing, I think that it's fair to say that you only said that to show how clever you are :P

He will be a big loss to the region, his music was helping bring together the people of the area.

Not as fashionable as some threads to post on tho i gather.

You dont need to edit your posts and add stuff in, im aware of what i posted.

It was for the benefit of the JKB masses....:rolleyes:

Commander Harris
It just seemed needless. "Propaganda" was maybe taking it a bit far, but it just seemed totally unnecessary to me.

As for the "RIP" thing, I think that it's fair to say that you only said that to show how clever you are :P

wasn't trying to show how clever I was at all, my point was that a lot of people use R.I.P. without considering either what it means or what they believe themselves.

I imagine the R.I.P. concept doesn't fit with that particular poster's theology so he chose to express his condolences by quoting some scripture that he thought were relevant.

wasn't trying to show how clever I was at all, my point was that a lot of people use R.I.P. without considering either what it means or what they believe themselves.

I imagine the R.I.P. concept doesn't fit with that particular poster's theology so he chose to express his condolences by quoting some scripture that he thought were relevant.

I'd argue that it's taken on a modern meaning, regardless of its roots - most (all?) of the English language derives from ancient languages, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a language in its own right.

To me, it just read like he was (doing what he usually does and) bringing religion into a thread where it wasn't in any way needed.

Commander Harris
I'd argue that it's taken on a modern meaning, regardless of its roots - most (all?) of the English language derives from ancient languages, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a language in its own right.

To me, it just read like he was (doing what he usually does and) bringing religion into a thread where it wasn't in any way needed.

on a thread about someone's death you are going to get peoples thoughts and beliefs about death coming over in their posts. some of these thoughts and beliefs may not be overtly "religious" but they are still beliefs.

because someone's beliefs are considered religious does that mean that they shouldn't express them?

Romanov Stole My Pension

I agree with Prancer. People just love to sympathise on here. We're getting more and more like Celtic all the time.

on a thread about someone's death you are going to get peoples thoughts and beliefs about death coming over in their posts. some of these thoughts and beliefs may not be overtly "religious" but they are still beliefs.

because someone's beliefs are considered religious does that mean that they shouldn't express them?

No, but it does mean that there's a time and place to express them. When supposedly expressing condolences to someone whose personal beliefs may or may not tally with yours, it seems more like pushing your faith in everyone's face for the sake of it more than anything else.

Archived