Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

TheMaganator

Is that funny this time? Is that not vandalism in your eyes? Remember the stickering scum from Ian Murray's office? Funny thing perspective eh :lol:

Nah - grass cutting scum IMO

As Geoff has replied - the oil-rich, green energy affluent, independent Scotland will be a net contributor to the EU (I believe Mr Salmond said as such in his recent speech in Europe) - any subsidies we receive will be as a result of the net contribution we make.

As for defence spending cuts, what is Scotlands proportional contribution? How much of this has been earmarked for independent defence spending?

This article in the Herald seems to lay to waste the assertion that we Scots are so fundamentally different from the rest of the UK and are all for building a fairer, more equal society. http://www.heraldsco...ration.24278719

I don't believe we are. I do believe there is appetite for a change in the dreadful type of politics that infests Westminster - media controlled electorate, corporate/banking/lobbyist bought career MPs with their snouts in every trough they can find.

The problem is that no matter how people vote we will not see a change to this system - a system which is a complete stitch-up and only serves to give the pretence that you actually have a choice.

However, independence at least brings with it the potential for change and the white paper, derided as it is by BT, at least is aspirational and shows the movement recognizes some of the wishes and hopes of the people of this country. And should Scotland become independent and end up very different politically than the rest of the rUK, with a parliament that seeks to improve fairness, equality, opportunity and quality of life for it's citizens.

Maybe we could become an example that people in rUK then begin to demand/clamour for as they see that there does exist a different path. I mean it's perhaps been glossed over by NO voters but the UK, when compared to most of Europe, stands out as the anomaly - the way things are done here - and the negative effect that has on quality of life and the various UN development index factors - is not the norm! It performs poorly.

Scotland is only looking to normalize it's society and politics in terms of it's European peers - not become some unattainable Utopia. It's important that this point is repeatedly made when those who are strangely welded to a failed system try to suggest we want something outrageously "out there" - when we do not.

jack D and coke

I don't believe we are. I do believe there is appetite for a change in the dreadful type of politics that infests Westminster - media controlled electorate, corporate/banking/lobbyist bought career MPs with their snouts in every trough they can find.

The problem is that no matter how people vote we will not see a change to this system - a system which is a complete stitch-up and only serves to give the pretence that you actually have a choice.

However, independence at least brings with it the potential for change and the white paper, derided as it is by BT, at least is aspirational and shows the movement recognizes some of the wishes and hopes of the people of this country. And should Scotland become independent and end up very different politically than the rest of the rUK, with a parliament that seeks to improve fairness, equality, opportunity and quality of life for it's citizens.

Maybe we could become an example that people in rUK then begin to demand/clamour for as they see that there does exist a different path. I mean it's perhaps been glossed over by NO voters but the UK, when compared to most of Europe, stands out as the anomaly - the way things are done here - and the negative effect that has on quality of life and the various UN development index factors - is not the norm! It performs poorly.

Scotland is only looking to normalize it's society and politics in terms of it's European peers - not become some unattainable Utopia. It's important that this point is repeatedly made when those who are strangely welded to a failed system try to suggest we want something outrageously "out there" - when we do not.

Very good post. For what my opinion is worth I've never not considered myself British but the longer it goes the more I'd like to see us move away from the type of politics we're offered from WM. You could change the rosettes on each party and you wouldn't know which one was what tbh, UKIP excepted. Is independence the answer? Who knows, but a No vote to me sees us shut the door on a break from this type of thing forever IMO. Nothing will change at WM and personally I reckon Scotland will drop off the immiediate radar for a few years seeing there is a general election and a possible in/out EU vote to come. We won't be at the front of the queue and tbh I can see the rUK being a bit sick of us harping on too, I know I'd be sick listening to us by now.

I believe it's now or never....

ra7uvuqe.jpg

TheMaganator

If the events of yesterday have taught us anything it is that Scots politicians are no different or less devious & corrupt than our WM counterparts.

The main party advocating independence are rotten and self-serving.

TheMaganator

At least the Yes camp are now admitting that taxes would have to go up - though I'm sure this has been denied by the SNP

EDIT - I'm not happy to pay more taxes btw. I pay plenty.

DE6DCB0C-60DB-403C-9D43-176FE9DA93EE-1697-000001B9A9887FAB_zpsb835dc07.jpg

Edited by TheMaganator

jack D and coke

I'd like the SNP to start answering some questions though. If we are to do all this great stuff then the money has to come from somewhere. Getting rid of Trident and the oil money doesn't really cut it for me. I just want honesty regardless of how uncomfortable it sounds. I pay plenty tax just now and I'm not for big tax hikes after the event or the cutting of the services they are claiming to promise to protect. Just spit it out I say.

TheMaganator

Off topic slightly but there are almost as many loony parties on the Euro ballot as normal ones.

Think I counted 9, including Britain First, BNP, No2Eu.

I'll give the SNP & UKIP the benefit of the doubt and not class them as loony parties.

jack D and coke

I'm under the impression that Scottish independence is going to mean the end of the f***** world! Everything is going to be impossible for us just impossible, Catholicism will be banned, the power will swing from west to east, we're out the EU, no currency yet, taxes will sky rocket, the oil is kaput in 5 years, all our big businesses are going to leave, Salmond is going to be PM of Scotland for years and years, passports at the border, our money will run out, Scottish notes will be banned blah blah blah it's getting out of control!! This is the stuff I've read in the last TWO DAYS!!!

TheMaganator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10850366/Scotlands-universities-prevented-from-speaking-out-against-independence.html

I've said this before about a lawyer I know being threatened to lose his funding for supporting Better Together.

Academics in a similarish position. At any and every level this is a ******* disgrace.

The SNP are Scotland's shame. If they are returned to power again I'll really have to question whether or not I want to live in a country that supports them.

Apologies if already posted, but I thought this one by Iain Macwhirter was worth sticking up here: http://iainmacwhirte...nk-notes-shock/

This is like being in an abusive relationship. On one hand there are vague promises that things will be better if we stay, on the other threats that they'll mess us up if we go. Lovely, makes me really want to stay.

With UKIP winning council seats and showing they aren't just a novelty, the ugly spectre of a Tory/UKIP coalition becomes more credible. More powers of any substance against that backdrop? I think not.

http://www.telegraph...dependence.html

I've said this before about a lawyer I know being threatened to lose his funding for supporting Better Together.

Academics in a similarish position. At any and every level this is a ******* disgrace.

The SNP are Scotland's shame. If they are returned to power again I'll really have to question whether or not I want to live in a country that supports them.

I don't actually disagree with you in that individuals have a right to freedom of speech and also the right to question what the effect of independence may be.

I disagree with your last remark though, but then as a Tory you may be more comfortable in a Tory/UKIP led country which, to me at least, is a Doomsday scenario. That said, I doubt the SNP will win a majority at the next Holyrood elections.

But if you want to be all Paul Daniels about it...

Paul-Daniels-007.jpg

Been thinking about this last night and it probably is right that all kids should go to the same schools. Maybe it would help erase some of Scotland's sectarian problems.

On another tangent though it's truly terrifying thinking that somebody like George Galloway with his truly twisted mind could possibly come to power in an independent Scotland or someone who is the opposite of his thinking. Scotland seems to have these really bitter people.

Segregation never works. IMO catholic education in Scotland, and let us note not all Catholics attend catholic schools, should be a private education. In that I mean it is either a "free school" affair where you pay fees to go, or you go to Sunday school classes to be taught about your faith and progress through from confession to communion and on.

The state should no longer promulgate a segregated school system. Another place were the idea we are a "progressive" people is a sham.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've actually yet to see it explained anywhere what benefits the scottish people should expect by voting no. I know that there is a lot of "you're not going to get this" or "you can't do that" if you vote yes - but can someone actually tell me (other than remaining part of the status quo) how it is good for Scotland to remain part of the UK.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I honestly don't know what would constitute substantial change for me - I guess it'd be something that a change in political party could not introduce.

But I don't want substantial change. I'm quite happy with the current system - sure, there are changes id make but so what.

One of the many issues I have is I don't know what the reward is - in a risk/reward scenario why are we taking the risk?

To keep the Tories out? Please.

It's quite unfair to hold the arguments for independence to a standard which you cannot define. (Is it not?)

I'm not voting Yes to keep the Tories out. I would welcome a rejuvenated right-of-centre party in an independent Scotland - they may even attract a vote from me.

Always get the government we vote for? I've never had the government I voted for. But I see 'we' as being Britain & Britain always gets the Government we vote for even if I (or Edinburgh or Glasgow or Newcastle) don't individually.

So Britain always getting the government it votes for even if you don't individually is acceptable, yet Scotland always getting the government it votes for even if you don't individually is unacceptable?

Hmm.

Decisions that affect the people of Scotland always taken by the people of Scotland? The party negotiating the terms of our independence want us in a currency union - meaning almost exactly the opposite of making our own decisions and no party in Scotland is proposing an EU referendum.

But I thought we weren't getting a currency union? So all the rhetoric for it is all bluff and bluster?

There is (currently) no demand for an EU referendum in Scotland. This may change, of course; UKIP gaining in the Euro election would signal that there is some discontentment with the EU in Scotland (if we ignore a possible low turnout).

I would like a referendum on staying in or out of the EU regardless of what the result of the referendum is. I am disappointed that there is no current prospect of a referendum on the question post-independence.

What is the reward?

Sovereignty.

A change of the structure of politics in Scotland. Perceptions change, of Scotland, of politics: Which may lead to new ideas being crafted and discussed. It's a new beginning. Politic parties neutered of London HQ influence; Scottish solutions for Scottish problems - enhanced by new powers over welfare, the economy that sovereignty brings.

I am not unhappy with the current situation in Britain. Indifferent is probably the correct term. But I believe an independent Scotland *can* do better. I think we need to stride forth and take responsibility - no more Westminster to hide behind or blame when something goes pear shaped. I want Scottish politicians to be fully accountable for how they spend our money.

Losing the influence of Westminster and the unique politic culture it inhabits would be healthy for Scotland. For many years they have disregarded large swathes of the UK to titillate a select portion of the population in the south of England. Incorrect scaremongering over benefit cheats and stoking multiple housing bubbles to make the well-off feel more well-off are just two examples.

But: Will Scottish politicians do this in an independent Scotland? Maybe. I'm not pretending that could never happen. We cannot for one second presume that by the virtue of being independent from Westminster that we are somehow elevated above it (although geography will show that we have always been elevated above LDN!).

It will require hard work to make this country a better place; but I believe we can do it, as a result of a few of my above points.

I also believe that we will have to take some short-term pain for some long-term gain. However it is because of a possible long-term vision that I am willing to endure some (of my perceived) short-term pain in exchange for a chance to make this country better. If some people do not want to take that chance then fair play - I can understand their decision; or rather, I cannot understand their decision, as they are different people with different backgrounds with different priorities.

I'll be honest: The one thing I want from this referendum is a very high turnout. I want everyone eligible to make a choice to make it. While I would, with no problems, accept a No vote, I would prefer it if the vast majority of other people who live and work in Scotland turned up to their local polling stations and made it so.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I saw this as I walked over the Crags today. I must say: It did raise a wee chuckle. We need more of this in the run up to September.

Has anyone claimed responsibility for this? If not, then it must be aliens. Someone sound the horn for a particular JKB poster...

jambos are go!

I've actually yet to see it explained anywhere what benefits the scottish people should expect by voting no. I know that there is a lot of "you're not going to get this" or "you can't do that" if you vote yes - but can someone actually tell me (other than remaining part of the status quo) how it is good for Scotland to remain part of the UK.

Can someone tell me why being content with the status quo is not a valid reason for being content with the status quo!

• Moderators

Keep to the topic please. This thread is for independence referendum discussion, not a debate about schools.

Can someone tell me why being content with the status quo is not a valid reason for being content with the status quo!

Because the status quo sees searing levels of poverty, rises in food banks and the UK government so inept that they now have to fork out one billion quid a week in interest on borrowing. The UK is bankrupt and the poor are being made to foot the bill.

A lot of us will go on relatively OK if the status quo prevails but we need to balance personal contentment with that of our fellow man and the health and well-being of the country as a whole. If the only change to come out of independence was a marked reduction in child poverty I'd consider that worth upsetting the status quo for.

TheMaganator

I'm sure I read that Norway & Germany, amongst others, use food banks. It's not like the UK is an exception.

If the only change to come out of independence was a marked reduction in child poverty I'd consider that worth upsetting the status quo for.

What if there was going to be an increase in child poverty? Would you still consider it worth upsetting the status quo?

Given the high probability that an independent Scotland would have to swing to the right of the rUK in terms of fiscal policy for at least the first few years of its existence, the above is not an academic question.

I'm sure I read that Norway & Germany, amongst others, use food banks. It's not like the UK is an exception.

We used to be. Protecting bankers bonuses, selling off national companies on the cheap so that millionaire "friends" make huge profits, reducing tax for the rich whilst enforcing "austerity" on those least responsible for the mess of the country have changed that. We had zero food banks in 2000. They have seen a 163% increase in demand from last year. Now the British Medical Journal consider hunger levels in the UK "a public health emergency".

Link: http://www.trussellt...ures-top-900000

What was Cameron's line pre-election - oh yeah "we're in it together". Tell that to the 13 million now living below the poverty line as the tories erode the living conditions and hard fought quality of life of people in this country to pre WWII levels (The Red Cross are now handing out food parcels in the UK for the first time since WWII). Lest anyone forgets what a disgusting unelected government this is, also remember the weasel words of the tory councillor (and I'm sure a minister echoed this in a debate, name escapes me):

there is no starvation in the UK and no need for food banks, they enable recipients to spend money on alcohol instead of budgeting for food.

This despite the fact people have to be assessed by a Doctor as in need and directed via the local council to get a voucher that entitles them to obtain food relief from a food bank - which they can only access a couple of times in a set period. Some of these poor families actually ask for ready to eat food that does not require cooking because they cannot afford to run their cooker.

What if there was going to be an increase in child poverty? Would you still consider it worth upsetting the status quo?

Given the high probability that an independent Scotland would have to swing to the right of the rUK in terms of fiscal policy for at least the first few years of its existence, the above is not an academic question.

To address the possible subtext of your question I do accept that politics can change and the political will in this country, post-independence, could go to the right. I don't expect it too given the voting patterns for decades and I hope we would never see the possibility which now plausibly presents itself at Westminster in light of the council election results - that of a Tory/UKIP far-right coalition.

If I honestly thought that Independence would bring absolutely no benefits or change other than, as it has been put previously on this thread, "a Scottish face on the same old" then I would probably abstain from voting. It would be a tough decision to take, frankly. But I don't - as I've posted before smaller (developed) countries tend to do much better - the UN's Human Development Index bears this out with small countries dominating the Top 10 and the UK in 19th place (26th in the Inequality HDI list). The UK is the anomaly and is becoming worse.

What Scotland aspires to, in my opinion, is more the norm rather than some pie-in-the-sky Utopia.

Edited by Gizmo

To address the possible subtext of your question I do accept that politics can change and the political will in this country, post-independence, could go to the right. I don't expect it too given the voting patterns for decades and I hope we would never see the possibility which now plausibly presents itself at Westminster in light of the council election results - that of a Tory/UKIP far-right coalition.

If I honestly thought that Independence would bring absolutely no benefits or change other than, as it has been put previously on this thread, "a Scottish face on the same old" then I would probably abstain from voting. It would be a tough decision to take, frankly. But I don't - as I've posted before smaller (developed) countries tend to do much better - the UN's Human Development Index bears this out with small countries dominating the Top 10 and the UK in 19th place (26th in the Inequality HDI list). The UK is the anomaly and is becoming worse.

What Scotland aspires to, in my opinion, is more the norm rather than some pie-in-the-sky Utopia.

One subtext to my question is that there is a high probability that an independent Scotland would have no choice but to adopt more stringent "austerity" policies than the UK for the first several years of its existence, regardless of the political colour of government voted in by the people. In that context, there is a reasonable risk that independence could lead to an increase in the level of child poverty over the next 10-12 years. It's neither certain nor inevitable, but there is a reasonable risk. Your contention is that independence would be worth voting for even if a decrease in child poverty was the only benefit. But if that is true, then logically it should follow that independence would be worth voting against if the reverse were so, and a reasonable probability existed of an increase in child poverty. Yet you and I both know that it doesn't follow.

The other subtext, of course, is that the cause and effect sequence isn't what it seems at first glance. It is not a case of voting Yes because we have evidence that voting Yes will improve child poverty; it is a case of believing that voting Yes will improve child poverty because we've already decided to vote Yes. The same can be said of a lot of issues. If you believe in voting No you will find all sorts of evidence to back that position up, just as you will find all sorts of evidence to support your view if you've decided to vote Yes.

Voting Yes won't make child poverty better. It might, but it might not, and it might make it worse. The same goes for voting No. But people are going to vote whatever way they're going to vote regardless.

Sheriff Fatman

Many Scots are most certainly morally superior to the likes of Farage who uses xenophobia to cover his spiv background and pretends that he is anti-establishment when his banking background puts him full square in the center of those that have caused most of the problems, and that section of the Tories who are happy to let the vulnerable starve to death in an attempt to pretend that they are doing something about the national deficit.

Many Scots are most certainly morally superior to the likes of Farage who uses xenophobia to cover his spiv background and pretends that he is anti-establishment when his banking background puts him full square in the center of those that have caused most of the problems, and that section of the Tories who are happy to let the vulnerable starve to death in an attempt to pretend that they are doing something about the national deficit.

If i'm reading the article right, the author asserts that despite the rather pertinent point of scots not voting for UKIP nearly as much as other parts of the UK, a poll was carried out at dundee university that showed that not all of UKIP's policies are abhorred up here and that this means a trumped up claim of moral superiority is blown out the water. It attacks a strawman with feathers i'm afraid.

TheMaganator

6 Yes campaigners had to be asked to leave a fate in Bellshill today after verbally & physically abusing campaigners at a Better Together stall.

The country is broken. It'll take years to recover from this IMO

The UK has been broken for years and is showing no signs of recovery at all.

Sheriff Fatman

Probably take longer than it will take to teach the nation to spell the word f?te

Edited by Sheriff Fatman

TheMaganator

The UK has been broken for years and is showing no signs of recovery at all.

I'm talking socially.

The Comedian

6 Yes campaigners had to be asked to leave a fate in Bellshill today after verbally & physically abusing campaigners at a Better Together stall.

:wow:

Has the Prime Minister been briefed?

jack D and coke

gu5egunu.jpg

Its both sides let's be honest but I do agree to an extent this could do lasting damage no matter what way this goes, although I'm sure like most things it is very small minorities acting the goat.

I hope whatever happens though one side is crushed so there isn't any argument and we can put this behind us.