Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

BlueRiver
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Appreciate you and the team must be hurting right now

Thoughts and prayers etc 

They're taking shots of the nationalist brain cell. 

2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Now that the snp have ragdolled themselves, the Nats are pulling the emotional "beautiful Scotland with the Hills and the Glens" line followed by the "we're so much better than the English" line. This is usually presented along with some shite about the yoons (The majority of Scots) being too Stupid and/or too greedy to vote Yes. It's exactly the same tactic used by Nationalists throughout history and currently by the Fascists in Govt. in Italy, holding the Balance of Power in Spain, the far right Govt's in Hungary and Poland and the close to govt. National Rally in France. 

It was easily predictable, happened far sooner than I expected and shows how emotional Nationalism can manipulate the Populus into anti democratic political rhetoric and choices.

I hope democracy in the West will prevail but I'm less confident of that than in any of my previous 50 years of Political engagement.

If you vent your spleen hard enough, you might even fool yourself that the above is remotely true.

It isn't. 

Japan Jambo
15 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Maybe he’ll donate it. 

Reveal hidden contents

To Hamas

Don't be silly it's his money not the taxpayers. 

luckyBatistuta
13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve never been an snp voter really. I’ve voted for them once but I was heavily Yes and I’d still vote Yes if it was offered again. Voting No is absolutely ****ing tragic id never forgive myself.
Like any self respecting Scot. 

Couldn’t agree more. Cringe watching my sister belting out Flower of Scotland at the rugby when she gets so worked up about folk like myself voting Yes, thinks we’re destroying her kids future🙄

Japan Jambo
9 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Feckin outrageous 

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

So in order to pay for this do we think they will they be putting up taxes or cutting benefits?

Just now, Japan Jambo said:

So in order to pay for this do we think they will they be putting up taxes or cutting benefits?

Dunno.

Ask Henry McLeish, or Jack McConnell, or Alex Salmond or Nicola Sturgeon.  Maybe even Jim Wallace?  

Whilst it may seem unfair that Yousaf gets this cash, that's part of the T&C's with the role.  Not really his fault what benefits package an ex FM gets.

Konrad von Carstein

Now that the snp have ragdolled themselves, the Nats are pulling the emotional "beautiful Scotland with the Hills and the Glens" line followed by the "we're so much better than the English" line. This is usually presented along with some shite about the yoons (The majority of Scots) being too Stupid and/or too greedy to vote Yes. It's exactly the same tactic used by Nationalists throughout history and currently by the Fascists in Govt. in Italy, holding the Balance of Power in Spain, the far right Govt's in Hungary and Poland and the close to govt. National Rally in France. 

It was easily predictable, happened far sooner than I expected and shows how emotional Nationalism can manipulate the Populus into anti democratic political rhetoric and choices.

I hope democracy in the West will prevail but I'm less confident of that than in any of my previous 50 years of Political engagement.

Poland's "far right" party has been emptied, only Kazcinski the president remains.

Donald Tusk is heading up a coalition government.

BlueRiver
5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Maybe the odd whip round of the soft heided for ring-fenced indy campaign money? 

SE16 3LN
3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

If you vent your spleen hard enough, you might even fool yourself that the above is remotely true.

It isn't. 

Vent your spleen means to show your anger. Exposing the links between the Neo Nationalists in Scotland and the far right in Europe comes from a position of reason and research, not Anger.

Your response is child like. Keep it up and you will be able to convince yourself that the last few months in the history of Scottish Nationalism is actually a good thing.

Blame Sturgeon for Yousaf getting the £52k a year - She's apparently torpedoed the deal he was trying to strike with Alba, which I think says everything about his appointment being little more than a puppet. Swinney will be the same thing, which is why its important Forbes gets it. 

Nicola Sturgeon cannot be allowed to backseat drive the FM. 

Konrad von Carstein
16 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Circle the wagons boys. Circle the wagons. 

Nationalist simpletons. 

14 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

They're taking shots of the nationalist brain cell. 

Play nice now :lol:

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

Vent your spleen means to show your anger. Exposing the links between the Neo Nationalists in Scotland and the far right in Europe comes from a position of reason and research, not Anger.

Your response is child like. Keep it up and you will be able to convince yourself that the last few months in the history of Scottish Nationalism is actually a good thing.

Jesus you're condescending. 

It's funny, on the one hand some discredit the SNP govt for being too "woke", focussing on carbon reduction targets and trans rights, being in thrall to the Greens.  Quite the opposite of the regimes that you seem to be equating the SNP with.

It's pretty clear to anyone with any sense of politics that the SNP are hardly a quasi-fascist organisation.  I don't see any SNP elected members sharing a platform with these types, unlike the Conservative party...

But hey!  The SNP under Yousaf has lots to be criticised for, and some folk just can't stand them due to their position on independence.  Again, that's cool.  But fascists they are not.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Circle the wagons boys. Circle the wagons. 

Nationalist simpletons. 

😂

BlueRiver

Flynn has backed Swinney. 

Not sure if that was already known but just seen it reported the now. 

Caretaker at best surely? 

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Boris said:

It's funny, on the one hand some discredit the SNP govt for being too "woke", focussing on carbon reduction targets and trans rights, being in thrall to the Greens.  Quite the opposite of the regimes that you seem to be equating the SNP with.

It's pretty clear to anyone with any sense of politics that the SNP are hardly a quasi-fascist organisation.  I don't see any SNP elected members sharing a platform with these types, unlike the Conservative party...

But hey!  The SNP under Yousaf has lots to be criticised for, and some folk just can't stand them due to their position on independence.  Again, that's cool.  But fascists they are not.

Wasting your time with that one...thinks if he calls SNP/Indy supporters Nazi's/Fascists often enough it will become fact...so dense light bends round him.

SE16 3LN
7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Poland's "far right" party has been emptied, only Kazcinski the president remains.

Donald Tusk is heading up a coalition government.

PiS is still the largest party. Hardly a sign that the rise of far right Nationalist govt. within the EU is on the wane.

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Flynn has backed Swinney. 

Not sure if that was already known but just seen it reported the now. 

Caretaker at best surely? 

They were saying on the radio that Swinney wouldn't want to see himself as a caretaker, but who knows.

If I were Kate Forbes, I'd let Swinney take it, see what happens at next Holyrood elections, then make a move then.

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

They were saying on the radio that Swinney wouldn't want to see himself as a caretaker, but who knows.

If I were Kate Forbes, I'd let Swinney take it, see what happens at next Holyrood elections, then make a move then.

I can see sense in doing that, but she's going to face the same opposition within the party whenever she does it - being monstered as some sort of hate monger with those doing so encouraging people to leave in some sort of protest against her. 

Personally, I would like to see her take it, if only for these people to leave. If you're prepared to dump a party because you don't like the leader despite the current path having led us no closer to the stated goal of the party, then I think thats a good riddance moment. 

Edited by OTT

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Couldn’t agree more. Cringe watching my sister belting out Flower of Scotland at the rugby when she gets so worked up about folk like myself voting Yes, thinks we’re destroying her kids future🙄

I like watching the rugby team but Flower of Scotland at Murrayfield has my skin crawling I’ll be honest.

You know just about every single one of them is a wee cringer at heart. 

Dirty Deeds
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Agreed, they're going to get a bloody nose at the GE and then likely lose power to another LAB/LIB pact at the next SE. Any potential leader with any sense will see that and keep away.

I'll do it for the pension though.

Gundermann
17 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I love it how Scottish 'nats' can manage to be immigration-friendly communists and neo-nazis at the same time.

I wonder if you could break your research down, for us simpletons here.

BlueRiver
14 minutes ago, Boris said:

Same here.  He might not see himself as one but I think it'll be a hard perception to change with the public.  

Konrad von Carstein
17 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

PiS is still the largest party. Hardly a sign that the rise of far right Nationalist govt. within the EU is on the wane.

They're not in power though...they were the party with the largest  single vote share, but not enough to maintain power, other than the idiot president...hopefully people are starting to realise what these populist ideologues (incl  our Tories) are really about and consign them to the bin for a very long time.

Edit to add; not far right rather; conservative populist, euro sceptic and in the thrall of the church, however they are too far to the right for my liking

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

BlueRiver
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

I can see sense in doing that, but she's going to face the same opposition within the party whenever she does it - being monstered as some sort of hate monger with those doing so encouraging people to leave in some sort of protest against her. 

Personally, I would like to see her take it, if only for these people to leave. If you're prepared to dump a party because you don't like the leader despite the current path having led us no closer to the stated goal of the party, then I think thats a good riddance moment. 

Good post as well.  It's going to be hard to get that wing of the SNP to take a back seat for a while.

Ulysses

Phew, what a relief!  There were a few sensible and reasonable posts yesterday morning, and for a short while I thought the site had been hacked.  But thankfully things are back to normal now. 🤗

I've a long held suspicion that Sturgeon is just taking a break from the front lines and fully expects a triumphant return to 'save' the SNP from the mess it will continue to develop into without her at the helm. In her head it will be like Lenin returning to Petrograd to give the final push in the people's fight for freedom, the great hero the people need.

i also think she's ballsed it up and, aided and abetted by her bumbling oaf of a husband, has lost the trust of too many people. Her ego won't be able to handle that though and I still expect her to continue to pull strings in the background to an unhealthy level. 

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I like watching the rugby team but Flower of Scotland at Murrayfield has my skin crawling I’ll be honest.

You know just about every single one of them is a wee cringer at heart. 

I’m glad you said “just about” I’m belting it out with pride, because I know😊

Ulysses
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I've a long held suspicion that Sturgeon is just taking a break from the front lines and fully expects a triumphant return to 'save' the SNP from the mess it will continue to develop into without her at the helm. In her head it will be like Lenin returning to Petrograd to give the final push in the people's fight for freedom, the great hero the people need.

i also think she's ballsed it up and, aided and abetted by her bumbling oaf of a husband, has lost the trust of too many people. Her ego won't be able to handle that though and I still expect her to continue to pull strings in the background to an unhealthy level. 

She's damaged goods, whatever way you look at it.

The options for the SNP are to adapt and change or to decline further.

redjambo
Just now, Ulysses said:

Yeah, she's not coming back. Although she would have been my second choice if I were a SNP voter in the last party leader election, I think Kate Forbes is the way forward.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That sounds about right to me too. 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Maybe the SNP leadership need to do a bit of research on Leon Trotsky and offer her a holiday to Mexico? 😉

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Echo this - I think Humza's downfall was that he thought he was his own man. The absolute gusto that the party payroll backed him as leader on was never a good sign - very much about continuity. Although, there seems to be a suspicion that Stephen Flynn gave him bad advice about dumping the greens/ Salmond has hinted he doesn't believe Humza's advisors were batting for team Humza. 

Makes me wonder if whilst Sturgeons goal has always been to come back, Flynn has other ideas ? Him as a potential successor to Swinney makes sense but doesn't reconcile with Sturgeon coming back as FM. 

SE16 3LN
7 minutes ago, Boris said:

What a lot of wank this is. I assume that as you've quoted me, you are referring to me, so we'll take that at face value. 

"Too woke" - I support carbon reduction and the rights of all people but I don't support threats to Women's rights and safe spaces that I believe the gender recognition bill was bringing to Scotland. I find it hard to accept that trans women are biological women but if someone lives as a trans woman they should not be persecuted regardless of their choice. I really have no idea why you're raising woke as an argument against the well researched links between Nationalism and the far right.

Are the SNP "Fascist"? Obviously not but as a broad church of all political persuasions there are many right wing extremists within their ranks and just because the Social Democratic element has held power in recent years (Now we see how badly they've used that power) doesn't retract from this fact, nor negate the view that Nationalism and far right politics go hand in hand. 

Finally, at various times in recent years the SNP has shared platforms with the far right across Europe, just like the Conservatives. Just because the Social Democratic power base have tried to crush this element doesn't mean it's not there. The nearest contender to Yousaf in the last leadership election and possible future party leader, is against gay marriage (Homophobic), Pro Life (Conservative) and thinks that the missionary work she grew up with is a positive thing (Racist). 

To be honest I'm surprised how much you've moved to the right on this issue in recent years. Independence is one thing, Nationalism something altogether different. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Echo this - I think Humza's downfall was that he thought he was his own man. The absolute gusto that the party payroll backed him as leader on was never a good sign - very much about continuity. Although, there seems to be a suspicion that Stephen Flynn gave him bad advice about dumping the greens/ Salmond has hinted he doesn't believe Humza's advisors were batting for team Humza. 

Makes me wonder if whilst Sturgeons goal has always been to come back, Flynn has other ideas ? Him as a potential successor to Swinney makes sense but doesn't reconcile with Sturgeon coming back as FM. 

If the likes of Flynn and/or Cherry try to get on the lists/ppc at the next Holyrood elections then you may be on to something.

Leader of the SNP has to sit at Holyrood apparently.

SE16 3LN
41 minutes ago, OTT said:

Jesus you're condescending. 

In response to you being condescending

SE16 3LN
25 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I love it how Scottish 'nats' can manage to be immigration-friendly communists and neo-nazis at the same time.

I wonder if you could break your research down, for us simpletons here.

You'll need to ask someone else that as it isn't what I believe or what I've said.

Ulysses
13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Maybe the SNP leadership need to do a bit of research on Leon Trotsky and offer her a holiday to Mexico? 😉

Mexico, you say?

That sounds like a nice pick.

(I'll get my coat)

1 minute ago, Boris said:

If the likes of Flynn and/or Cherry try to get on the lists/ppc at the next Holyrood elections then you may be on to something.

IIRC Salmond sat at Westminster whilst Sturgeon sat at Holyrood - Believe Salmond did look to switch over asap and they were also in opposition at the time. 

Getting some quality into Holyrood is much needed. Its bordering on dregs. 

BlueRiver
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Mexico, you say?

(I'll get my coat)

😂

SE16 3LN
23 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

They're not in power though...they were the party with the largest  single vote share, but not enough to maintain power, other than the idiot president...hopefully people are starting to realise what these populist ideologues (incl  our Tories) are really about and consign them to the bin for a very long time.

Edit to add; not far right rather; conservative populist, euro sceptic and in the thrall of the church, however they are too far to the right for my liking

So you believe the far right in Europe are in decline. Interesting, but I think you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Mexico, you say?

(I'll get my coat)

Chapeau sir. 

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Chapeau sir. 

OK fine, I'll get my hat as well.   :runaway:

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So you believe the far right in Europe are in decline. Interesting, but I think you're wrong.

Did I say that? No.

Read my post again, but use your reading eyes this time.

Admittedly the word hopefully is doing a lot of heavy lifting in my post.

4 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

What a lot of wank this is. I assume that as you've quoted me, you are referring to me, so we'll take that at face value. 

Just your equating the SNP to a fascist party.  As I said "...some discredit" so it's not all about you.  Honest.

"Too woke" - I support carbon reduction and the rights of all people but I don't support threats to Women's rights and safe spaces that I believe the gender recognition bill was bringing to Scotland. I find it hard to accept that trans women are biological women but if someone lives as a trans woman they should not be persecuted regardless of their choice. I really have no idea why you're raising woke as an argument against the well researched links between Nationalism and the far right.

I was of the assumption that being in favour of trans rights/gender recognition was "woke"?  I'm not too au fait with the whole thing tbh, but as it was sponsored by the greens (arguably they were the main pushers for it?) it sits with what I said.  So on the one hand the SNP are "progressives" but because they want independence they are obviously nationalists but to you that means far right?   Bit of a step, when you compare current far right parties and their attitudes to those two subjects (green politics/trans issues)

Are the SNP "Fascist"? Obviously not but as a broad church of all political persuasions there are many right wing extremists within their ranks and just because the Social Democratic element has held power in recent years (Now we see how badly they've used that power) doesn't retract from this fact, nor negate the view that Nationalism and far right politics go hand in hand. 

Not all nationalists are far right.

Finally, at various times in recent years the SNP has shared platforms with the far right across Europe, just like the Conservatives. Just because the Social Democratic power base have tried to crush this element doesn't mean it's not there. The nearest contender to Yousaf in the last leadership election and possible future party leader, is against gay marriage (Homophobic), Pro Life (Conservative) and thinks that the missionary work she grew up with is a positive thing (Racist). 

Have they?  Would be interested to know who/when etc

You may be correct that there is a "far right" element to the SNP membership, but as you say above it has no hand on power.  A real stretch to tar Forbes with being "far right" imo.  Really, that's out there!

To be honest I'm surprised how much you've moved to the right on this issue in recent years. Independence is one thing, Nationalism something altogether different. 

Well, yes, that's true, but again you equate someone who says they are a nationalist with being far right.  Like all political hues, there are varying shades and levels.

Gundermann
8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

They are in places but not in Scotland.

Here's a wee bit of analysis. Where is yours?

Screenshot2024-04-30at13-02-54ThePoliticalCompass.thumb.png.6fb37c0ec12d3e89a03b30c865e7a61c.png

https://www.politicalcompass.org/scotland2021

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

I would really like to see the SNP make some strides towards putting clear distance between themselves and the Sturgeon era. 

Continuity quite simply isn't going to cut it (as Forbes said!) -  I think in the public mind a lot of this woke agenda has ran its course and people want to know why the housing market is ****ed, the cost of living continues to spiral etc. Also think that the time Sturgeon spent pissing about with talking about who gets to use what toilet could have been spent on building more support for Independence and govering competently. IIRC Salmond said yesterday that the housing investment of £80m Humza announced came from a £200m "slush fund" that the greens had insisted be set aside for public travel costs (cycling?) at a time when people have had to go through a winter quite literally choosing between heating and eating, that couldn't be a more offensive and tone deaf use of public funds. 

Yes, absolutely there are reasons beyond the Scottish Governments control as to why the economy is ****ed, but doing stupid shit like that is just rage inducing. I'd actually be keen to see how much money in total the Greens were able to squirel away on nonsense and waste on failed policies like the HMPA and deposit return scheme. We don't want or need a government to be reinventing the wheel, just get the basics right so life is slightly less shit!!!

There's definitely some serious transition going on from denial to anger in the grief stages here.

SE16 3LN
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Did I say that? No.

Read my post again, but use your reading eyes this time.

Admittedly the word hopefully is doing a lot of heavy lifting in my post.

Sorry to misinterpret your view on that. 

Here is what you said about me:

Wasting your time with that one...thinks if he calls SNP/Indy supporters Nazi's/Fascists often enough it will become fact...so dense light bends round him.

I never said the bit in bold but pointed out the links between Nationalism and the far right. I do believe there are extremists within the SNP and their supporters but you added Indy for effect and to try and gain some traction to your "dense" slur. I would have far less problem with an Indy movement than a Nationalist movement Einstein.

doctor jambo
11 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

They are in places but not in Scotland.

Here's a wee bit of analysis. Where is yours?

Screenshot2024-04-30at13-02-54ThePoliticalCompass.thumb.png.6fb37c0ec12d3e89a03b30c865e7a61c.png

https://www.politicalcompass.org/scotland2021

libertarian?

SNP and greens?

compelled speech, restriction of free speech and the clamping down of the free speech of women is libertarian?
banning wood burners?

methinks they are having a laugh