Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, lou said:

Reminds me of all the years Chris Robinson got a seat in the srand, that annoyed me as much 

George Foulkes does it now, dressed like he’s going to buy a pint of milk. 

Thunder and Lightning
27 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Only book he will release is a colouring one. 

He plans on releasing a book that's already coloured in. Didn't like all the white pages apparently... 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

He plans on releasing a book that's already coloured in. Didn't like all the white pages apparently... 

😂😂

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

George Foulkes does it now, dressed like he’s going to buy a pint of milk. 

Probably all stained too 😁

lost in space

Why would anyone take the job of leader of the SNP at this time?

They will have to resign after the GE.

Forbes or anybody who wants to stay as leader should not touch the job now.

Better to wait til after GE.

Fine temporary job for Swinney I suppose - as "night watchman".

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

I'd take it so when I got kicked out like Useless a few months later I get 52k a year for life. No brainer

7 minutes ago, lost in space said:

For someone like Swinney, its a no brainer, I assume for a career politician, getting to the top means something on a personal level. 

I'm not sure what to think with Swinney, IIRC he's more of a centerist than Sturgeon or even Salmond. I would have thought more in common with Forbes, and perhaps she'll be in his cabinet. He comes off as a serious type, and I would absolutely love to see him put competence front and centre of what he wants to do. Best people in the best jobs. Humza's current front bench team is a bad joke. 

Libertarian
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I wouldn't rule that out either, though for it to happen Labour would have to open up a 10-point lead over the SNP in the popular vote.  Not impossible, but tricky.

I'm not a unionist and I have campaigned for independence all my adult life, although I would now never dream of voting SNP. I think that there are many like me and when you take into account that the unionists are highly likely to vote tactically (there is growing evidence of tactical voting amongst unionists at recent council by elections) then there is every chance that the SNP could be reduced to a handful of seats.

Edited by Libertarian

Dirty Deeds

Interesting comment from John Cutrice quoted in the National 

, "You don’t want to do that if you’re in opposition and the guy in front of you is not very good. You want to keep him hanging on a thread."

Unless of course, the next leader is even worse.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24286788.john-curtice-delivers-verdict-humza-yousaf-resignation/

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, lou said:

Probably all stained too 😁

Hahahahaha

jack D and coke
43 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I'm not a unionist and I have campaigned for independence all my adult life, although I would now never dream of voting SNP. I think that there are many like me and when you take into account that the unionists are highly likely to vote tactically (there is growing evidence of tactical voting amongst unionists at recent council by elections) then there is every chance that the SNP could be reduced to a handful of seats.

I’ve never been an snp voter really. I’ve voted for them once but I was heavily Yes and I’d still vote Yes if it was offered again. Voting No is absolutely ****ing tragic id never forgive myself.
Like any self respecting Scot. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve never been an snp voter really. I’ve voted for them once but I was heavily Yes and I’d still vote Yes if it was offered again. Voting No is absolutely ****ing tragic id never forgive myself.

Excellent post.

ehcaley

Wasn't Honest John one of the architects of the Bute House Agreement to bring The Greens into government?

Oh and Katie's still a Wee Free Tory😲

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

So thea majority  of Scots who voted no are absolutely tragic? Really?

jack D and coke
Just now, Francis Albert said:

IMO aye. 
You don’t have to agree. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Can any independent supporter explain what they would expect from living in their fantasy independent Scotland? Good and Bad 

How many years the transition would take?

Would an independent Scotland immediately be able to defend the Shetland islands for example or secure oil fields from an aggressive Russian attack for example ? 

7 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Can any independent supporter explain what they would expect from living in their fantasy independent Scotland? Good and Bad 

How many years the transition would take?

Would an independent Scotland immediately be able to defend the Shetland islands for example or secure oil fields from an aggressive Russian attack for example ? 

I’d imagine an independent Scotland would be in NATO and so if we were attacked or invaded then the might of the organisation would be mobilised against the aggressor.

(if memory serves one or two SNP MSPs disagreed with the SNP policy that we should join and so left the party) 

AyrJambo
5 hours ago, pablo said:

Symbolic is the sense of them being ancient borders. But no different to any border on the island between different legislative regions. Tyne and Wear, Berkshire...wherever. 

Whatever semantics does it for you

Next you'll be arguing that there's no difference between the Canada - US border and the Manitoba - Saskatchewan border because they all exist on the same very large island

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post

46 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes

Colonised minds, mugs who have been conned and can't see it no matter how often it is pointed out to them

AyrJambo
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Or folk for whom the union, despite its many failings, has provided them and their families with employment opportunities beyond what an iScotland could offer? I voted yes in 2014 but would vote no if there was as referendum tomorrow as I’d probably lose my job unless I moved to England. 

As someone once famously said

Ask not what your country can do for you...

My job would probably go as well but you know what - I'd get another one

jack D and coke
38 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Or folk for whom the union, despite its many failings, has provided them and their families with employment opportunities beyond what an iScotland could offer? I voted yes in 2014 but would vote no if there was as referendum tomorrow as I’d probably lose my job unless I moved to England. 

See this I get it…

Admit it’s pure selfish. That’s totally fine. 
It’s the kicking the shit out the  place and the people that just does me in. 

Ulysses
4 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Yes, of course. But then I'm one of the good guys. 

You would in your hole.  :rofl: 

Ulysses
3 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Well yes, but...

...I think Labour are polling at their peak across the UK, including Scotland, so they're unlikely to go higher than their current poll ratings.  The SNP may go lower, but frankly even I could make a better job of selling the SNP to the voting public than Humza Yousaf, so there's a good chance a new leader will hold things as they are or even increase their ratings.  Tactical voting or not, Labour supporters are not going to switch in the coming election to gift seats to the Tories rather than the SNP, and likewise Conservative voters are not going to hand Labour an even bigger majority.  So you might see some votes shifting towards or away from the Liberal Democrats, but it's unlikely to be all that many.

5 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Next you'll be arguing that there's no difference between the Canada - US border and the Manitoba - Saskatchewan border because they all exist on the same very large island

I wouldn't, on account of there being absolutely zero in common between the US-Canada border and the border between Scotland and England. The only land border the United Kingdom has is with the Republic of Ireland. That's not semantics. 

6 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Good post

Yes

Colonised minds, mugs who have been conned and can't see it no matter how often it is pointed out to them

I can’t be alone in seeing the irony in this?

I voted ‘yes’ last time, and probably would again, but one of the things that put/puts me off is the revisionism, the rewriting of history.

I would look forward to us being a grown-up country, confident and cosmopolitan but aware of our past and all the good and all the shameful things of which we’ve been a part.

I don’t look forward to us being a nippy, chippy wee moan with a well-nursed sense of grievance - all the things we accuse England of when it comes to Europe.

TallPaul
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Feckin outrageous 

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

A resident Smurf will be along any minute to say what about Liz Truss.

On another note it goes along way to explain why they are happy to keep dangling the indy carrot to the dafties. 

Shooter McGavin
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

See this I get it…

Admit it’s pure selfish. That’s totally fine. 
It’s the kicking the shit out the  place and the people that just does me in. 

A few posts ago you called half the population tragic 😂

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

I can’t be alone in seeing the irony in this?

I voted ‘yes’ last time, and probably would again, but one of the things that put/puts me off is the revisionism, the rewriting of history.

I would look forward to us being a grown-up country, confident and cosmopolitan but aware of our past and all the good and all the shameful things of which we’ve been a part.

I don’t look forward to us being a nippy, chippy wee moan with a well-nursed sense of grievance - all the things we accuse England of when it comes to Europe.

They try to get out but get drawn back in ?

10 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

A resident Smurf will be along any minute to say what about Liz Truss.

On another note it goes along way to explain why they are happy to keep dangling the indy carrot to the dafties. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Go through this thread and read some of them. There’s no other word to describe them. 
If they just came out with the selfish shit I’d have much less truck with it. 

Shooter McGavin
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Go through this thread and read some of them. There’s no other word to describe them. 
If they just came out with the selfish shit I’d have much less truck with it. 

Fair play for doubling down, I suppose 😂

hughesie27
9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I prefer the term Shitebags.

Some of my good friends and family are Shitebags.

TallPaul
29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

This type of statement has convinced the sensible Scots that your side is best to be avoided.

SE16 3LN

Now that the snp have ragdolled themselves, the Nats are pulling the emotional "beautiful Scotland with the Hills and the Glens" line followed by the "we're so much better than the English" line. This is usually presented along with some shite about the yoons (The majority of Scots) being too Stupid and/or too greedy to vote Yes. It's exactly the same tactic used by Nationalists throughout history and currently by the Fascists in Govt. in Italy, holding the Balance of Power in Spain, the far right Govt's in Hungary and Poland and the close to govt. National Rally in France. 

It was easily predictable, happened far sooner than I expected and shows how emotional Nationalism can manipulate the Populus into anti democratic political rhetoric and choices.

I hope democracy in the West will prevail but I'm less confident of that than in any of my previous 50 years of Political engagement.

Lord Montpelier
51 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A bit bitter from you there Hughes.

I've got friends and family who are nationalists. But I wouldn't call them shitebags or anything else derogatory based on their political leanings. 

hughesie27
15 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

This type of statement has convinced the sensible Scots that your side is best to be avoided.

You recently had a post removed because it labelled the Australian stabbing incident as "someone who shares a religion with our First Minister" (paraphrasing)

I think I'm comfortable with where I stand on issues compared to yourself.

hughesie27
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

A bit bitter from you there Hughes.

I've got friends and family who are nationalists. But I wouldn't call them shitebags or anything else derogatory based on their political leanings. 

Maybe I should have used the term Scaredy Cat.

Hagar the Horrible

With Swinney being the continuity - continuity candidate, does that make the SNP:- the the SNP?

The country is crying out for change, Forbes would be that change within the status quo

Swinney will at least cause the demise of the SNP further, he is another failure. same ole same ole.  He will seen to bring the broad church back together again, that church has been torn apart by Humza, so that's where his energy will be focussed, not on the country.

Prepare for roads and transport to be worse, Violent children to further hold education of the masses to ransom, Longer NHS waiting times, Criminalise white straight males, A fairer society which makes those with merit and ability pay for a lavish lifestyle of the bone idle.  Safe spaces for women is available so long as you have a cock.  We would be better with Netanyahu as FM than another SNP failure.  Doing the same thing over and over again and expect different result is the definition of stupidity

Labour might not be anybody's  or everybody's cup of tea, bet the country needs a total break from 17 years of SNP failure for at least a decade.  Then and only then will the SNP decide if they are an activist party or an establishment one

Edited by Hagar the Horrible
spelling

Gundermann
7 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Feckin outrageous 

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

Andrew Neil is a grade-A knut. He's troughed more out of the public purse than any MSP.

Screenshot2024-04-30at09-56-55BBCsAndrewNeilImpaidmorethanthePM.png.adae552d6aefcba3ade47f444657ca1c.png

What a tosser.

When he lent his brother £32,000 two years ago, he required repayment with an annual 5 per cent interest

https://www.paisley.org.uk/famous-people/andrew-neil/

Gundermann
39 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Now that the snp have ragdolled themselves, the Nats are pulling the emotional "beautiful Scotland with the Hills and the Glens" line followed by the "we're so much better than the English" line. This is usually presented along with some shite about the yoons (The majority of Scots) being too Stupid and/or too greedy to vote Yes. It's exactly the same tactic used by Nationalists throughout history and currently by the Fascists in Govt. in Italy, holding the Balance of Power in Spain, the far right Govt's in Hungary and Poland and the close to govt. National Rally in France. 

It was easily predictable, happened far sooner than I expected and shows how emotional Nationalism can manipulate the Populus into anti democratic political rhetoric and choices.

I hope democracy in the West will prevail but I'm less confident of that than in any of my previous 50 years of Political engagement.

:wtfvlad:

Ron Burgundy
7 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Feckin outrageous 

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

A career politician if ever there was one.

And a bloody good one, the career part, politician not so much.

Gundermann
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I wouldn't say that. My auld dear is of the WWII gen and still 'British' though not so proud of it these days. Other family members were told by employers that a yes-vote would see them lose their jobs. Funnily enough, these same companies have shed a shitload of jobs despite the no-vote.

However, the clutching at straws by Unionists despite the patently dysfunctional UK, that's now a laughing-stock on the international stage, is tragic. Devolution is little more than a con - we're given limited powers but still apparently held to international standards enjoyed by nations who have complete self-determination - varoius standards in public services and emissions targets for example. This was highlighted yesterday by English economist Richard Murphy who observed the situation that Wales will soon find itself in: Labour admins in Cardiff and London but still with poor public services.

Edited by Gundermann

Lord Montpelier
35 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Maybe I should have used the term Scaredy Cat.

Appreciate you and the team must be hurting right now

Thoughts and prayers etc 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Fair comment. 

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

My thoughts also

You recently had a post removed because it labelled the Australian stabbing incident as "someone who shares a religion with our First Minister" (paraphrasing)

When you see some of the posts from rabid British nationalists you know that we are on the correct side.

Independence is never going away no matter what they post. Most of them don't even have a vote in Scotland 

The Real Maroonblood

Good post.

jambos are go!

I have been derided over the years for using the 1980s term Tartan Tories to describe the SNP.  I am a fan of alliteration but may be better adopting the new 'socially conservative' banner'.  Much the same thing so I will stick to Tartan Tories to label them.

SE16 3LN
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

:wtfvlad:

No surprise that you can't understand

BlueRiver

Circle the wagons boys. Circle the wagons. 

Nationalist simpletons.